Tire life - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2018, 11:55 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A "Traveling Sedge"
Tire life

Howdy folks,

I have my sidekick, 2013 Escape 15. She is now going on 5 years and on the original set of tires. I sadly have not had enough time to travel much and there are far less than 10,000 miles on the tires. I think that I read somewhere on this forum that tires should be replaced every 5 years or so regardless of miles put on them. Should I be concerned about replacing the tires at this point? They do not show much wear or any visible signs of problems.
Thanks for any advice!

regards,
- Jane

angler24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by angler24 View Post
Howdy folks,

I have my sidekick, 2013 Escape 15. She is now going on 5 years and on the original set of tires. I sadly have not had enough time to travel much and there are far less than 10,000 miles on the tires. I think that I read somewhere on this forum that tires should be replaced every 5 years or so regardless of miles put on them. Should I be concerned about replacing the tires at this point? They do not show much wear or any visible signs of problems.
Thanks for any advice!

regards,
- Jane
You will get multiple responses to this question. If it were me in this situation I would show these tires and code manufacturing date to a trusted tire professional, and thats not a very young person at a tire chain place working on commission. Id look at a tire store like a Goodyear shop with a guy about 50 behind the counter. Then Id thank him and tell him Id get back to him if he said I needed tires. Id get a second similar opinion and buy from the person who gut struck me as honest and forthright. If he says you can easily go another year thats what I would do. And then Id buy from him next year. But maybe thats just how an old man who has been buying and selling tires since 1964.
Iowa Dave

Old 04-30-2018, 12:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 21
Etrailer says: "Trailer tires should be replaced about every 6 or 7 years, even if the tread is still in good shape. As tires age, they can crack and dry rot. Continuing to use the existing tires would be dangerous."

So you're probably good for another year or two it seems.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Etrailer says: "Trailer tires should be replaced about every 6 or 7 years, even if the tread is still in good shape. As tires age, they can crack and dry rot. Continuing to use the existing tires would be dangerous."

So you're probably good for another year or two it seems.
But check the date on the tires . We also have a 2013 , but our tires were manufactured in 2012 . It isn't the tread you are concerned about but the age of the tires . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:38 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2016 Ram Eco-diesel 4WD Crew
Jane,
I agree with everything the others said. Having just recently replaced the original tires with the higher rated Goodyears, I have stopped worrying about tires for a while. For just under $400 this was a good choice for me. There were over 40,000 miles on the original ones and they were garaged while not in use.
With just your two tires, I’d balance the potential destruction and inconvenience against the $200–250 to get new, probably somewhat better tires.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I think the age of the tires is more of a concern under certain conditions. If the trailer sits outside in sunny, hot Texas, you're more likely to need replacement than if the trailer is in a garage in the rain forest.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A "Traveling Sedge"
Tire life

Thanks everyone for the information! My trailer has been kept in NW Washington - wet but not a rain forest and not a garage

My take, thanks to all of you, is that it is close to time to replace tires and not worth risking a potential disaster. I appreciate the replies and advice.

- Jane
angler24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I finally replaced my tires in year 6/7. My mechanic gave my old ones to Sally Ann.
If you have AAA or other roadside assistance for the trailer, I would gamble on another year or two.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by angler24 View Post
Thanks everyone for the information! My trailer has been kept in NW Washington - wet but not a rain forest and not a garage

My take, thanks to all of you, is that it is close to time to replace tires and not worth risking a potential disaster. I appreciate the replies and advice.

- Jane
Jane we replaced ours at almost 4 years . And as I said they actually were another year older then our trailer . We replaced with a little better tires . The ones Escape uses are not very expensive and it isn't worth taking a chance with your trailer etc. We had to fix 2 flats on the originals . Can dig up a picture of our truck Commerical E tires and show you what a blow out looks like , after I had picked up a screw and was slowly losing air after sitting at a job for 6 hours . Never in my life had this happen and the heavy tread looked great . For a small cost to protect you and your trailer it is a small investment . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 01:04 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Trailer and RV tires usually age out before they wear out. It depends a lot on the specific conditions. Lots of sunlight will age them faster, as will extreme temperatures and cycling between hot and cold. NW Washington's probably not as bad as, say, Arizona in terms of tire aging. It's probably a good idea to go ahead and replace them within the next year or so as a precaution, and definitely replace them now if there's any sign of cracking/dry-rot.

Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote