5.0 PU Bed Covers - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2021, 02:23 PM   #61
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
IF you have a fold over bed cover, keep an eye on the corner brace on the frame. I can turn Ten Forward nearly 90 degrees, BUT the corner brace touches the rails of the fold over cover. I learned the hard way... on both sides. The cover still folds okay, but dang
Attached Thumbnails
WatchThis.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:34 PM   #62

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
IF you have a fold over bed cover, keep an eye on the corner brace on the frame. I can turn Ten Forward nearly 90 degrees, BUT the corner brace touches the rails of the fold over cover. I learned the hard way... on both sides. The cover still folds okay, but dang
Good info! Thanks! Initially looked over a quad fold but the rails looked a little too high. I went with a lower profile retractable that won't have rails that sit as high as a fold-over. Width looks to be of more concern in the case of a retractable but I believe there's room with my truck. I'll have the front & rear off sets with the Anderson hitch and coupler, as well, as ball height adjustments, so several adjustments are possible. I'm doing the lift kit, as well.
Jack! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:05 PM   #63

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 [August]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You can always be the first........that way you will get it right as well as help others.....
I’d do this in a heartbeat if I had my 5.0. Pickup isn’t until mid-August.
gjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:09 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjsheldon View Post
I’d do this in a heartbeat if I had my 5.0. Pickup isn’t until mid-August.
Second that..... Maybe date Nov2021, guaranteed May2022...ouch!
Old 04-18-2021, 08:10 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
These are exactly the type of issues I’m trying to predict and prevent. Thanks for sharing your painful moments to help us not have to repeat them. I’m certain we’ll have our own to share!
Old 04-19-2021, 12:34 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjsheldon View Post
These are exactly the type of issues I’m trying to predict and prevent. Thanks for sharing your painful moments to help us not have to repeat them. I’m certain we’ll have our own to share!
I canceled the retractable I ordered. I was confident it would fit based on measurements for pinbox clearance at the hitch, but the trailer frame bracket is another unknown I can't predict well at this point & clear pics are very rare. I think there's way to deal with the frame bracket but not sure. Plan now to pick up an inexpensive vinyl cover for my upcoming trips with my new truck and my current bumper pull camper. I can double back on the retractable project when get the 5.0, and can sell the vinyl, if & when I can determine which retractable will work. Came to the conclusion there really isn't a good way to do this in advance of getting the 5.0 currently, so best to put the project on hold for now. I'm still confident there is a retractable option that will work once I can take further measurements on my 5.0 while hooked up. You are getting your 5.0 sooner so please post the pictures we wanted. Perhaps I can move forward when you have some pictures. Thanks much!
Old 04-19-2021, 01:47 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack! View Post
I canceled the retractable I ordered. I was confident it would fit based on measurements for pinbox clearance at the hitch, but the trailer frame bracket is another unknown I can't predict well at this point & clear pics are very rare. I think there's way to deal with the frame bracket but not sure. Plan now to pick up an inexpensive vinyl cover for my upcoming trips with my new truck and my current bumper pull camper. I can double back on the retractable project when get the 5.0, and can sell the vinyl, if & when I can determine which retractable will work. Came to the conclusion there really isn't a good way to do this in advance of getting the 5.0 currently, so best to put the project on hold for now. I'm still confident there is a retractable option that will work once I can take further measurements on my 5.0 while hooked up. You are getting your 5.0 sooner so please post the pictures we wanted. Perhaps I can move forward when you have some pictures. Thanks much!
I haven't been able to move beyond that same conclusion. I was just hoping someone else had already dealt with this but it seems that's not the case. I will definitely revisit this forum thread and post pix as soon as we have our 5.0 hitched behind the truck in August. Thanks for your thoughts and advice. I think you (and I) have made the correct decision in light of the lack of verifiable clearance tolerances, especially considering the cost. I really didn't want to end up with $1500-$2000 cover I couldn't use!