5th wheel hitch options 23-24 Toyota Tundra - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2023, 09:27 AM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
This is similar to the Gen 14 (2021-2024) F150 situation - several of the F150's similar trailer-towing "Driving Aids" do not support 5th-wheel / gooseneck trailers, but the vehicle is explicitly rated as capable of towing those trailers within appropriate weight limits when equipped with an appropriate aftermarket hitch.
Yup. What Centex said.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 10:18 AM   #22

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
What we want is the SR5 or Limited, with crew max full crew cab and the 6'6" bed length, convenience package which includes the 32gl fuel tank, and tow package with brake controller.

The 6'6" bed with the full crew cab, not the double cab is really hard to find. They have three different wheel base lengths and this is the middle length. 99% are the short wheel base most with crew max cab and 5' 5" bed, a few with the DBL cab and 6'6" bed.

There are a couple that we found fitting our needs but they are in Alaska. We are willing to travel to get what we want but probably not to Alaska. There's also one in production listed in Glenwood Springs Colorado that we are inquiring about. It doesn't have the convenience package with the 32gl tank however. We may have to compromise on that one.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 10:32 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Please note ^ that's ^ only in reference to certain "Driving Support Systems" such as the 'trailer back-up guide' and 'straight path assist'.

I haven't driven a new vehicle in ten years so I'm new to the concept of "driving support systems." Will keep reading the manual.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 10:56 AM   #24

Trailer: 2018 None
[QUOTE=DanandDaphne;460209]What we want is the SR5 or Limited, with crew max full crew cab and the 6'6" bed length, convenience package which includes the 32gl fuel tank, and tow package with brake controller.

The 6'6" bed with the full crew cab, not the double cab is really hard to find. They have three different wheel base lengths and this is the middle length. 99% are the short wheel base most with crew max cab and 5' 5" bed, a few with the DBL cab and 6'6" bed.

I have been looking for the exact same Tundra setup. Ford 150 incentives have recently come out. 8k to 15K off MSRP here in Iowa. I am waiting for Toyota Tundra to follow suit. Crossing my fingers. Good luck in your search.
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 11:11 AM   #25

Daphne just found one in Maryland a 23, with five thousand miles on it. It looks like it has everything we want and it's white which is good with us. We were willing to take any color except black. And for 50K so good price, I think. The one in Glenwood Springs in production is 60K so, it sounds good to us.
Old 12-18-2023, 12:44 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
There are also several conventional fifth wheel hitches that are designed to mount on a gooseneck ball. We have a Demco Recon and have been very happy with it, the base is a good bit smaller than the gooseneck version of the Andersen hitch so it leaves more unobstructed space in the bed. Ours is rail mounted, but the gooseneck version is essentially the same.

https://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck-a...DM8550046.html
Thank you David I really like the “traditional” 5th wheel hitches. I was ready to purchase the Andersen Ultimate but am taking a closer look at the Demco Recon for the B&W turnover ball. Our B&W Patriot is rail mounted and will not work with the new Tundra. Looks like the base and head are around 47lbs per piece. As a bonus the base is 22” versus the larger foot print of the Andersen.
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 03:22 PM   #27

Trailer: 2020 21' Escape
bought a new 2003 Tundra in fall of 2002. Still have it and have never had ANY problems with it. 107k miles now. tows my 21' easily. 4.7l v-8
ESCAPERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 11:01 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCAPERS View Post
bought a new 2003 Tundra in fall of 2002. Still have it and have never had ANY problems with it. 107k miles now. tows my 21' easily. 4.7l v-8
We have the same truck, but an 02, it's great truck and super reliable, ours now has just over 200K on it. But that's not the reason for wanting to up grade to a newer truck. The 4.7L V8 is perfectly capable of towing our 5.0 but we live, and mostly drive in the mountains and would really like more HP but it's also about the three speed automatic (three because you don't use overdrive while towing). There's just so much time spent in second gear revving the engine but not quite having enough power to be in third.

The specs for the new Tundra are impressive, 389 hp @ 5200 rpm, 479 lb.-ft. torque @ 2400 rpm.
Compared to the 02 Tundra, 245 hp @ 4,800 rpm Torque 315 lb-ft @ 3,400 rpm

And it has a ten speed automatic, its advertised mpg is way better at 17 city, 23 hwy and 19 combined. I'll be happy if we get 14 or 15 while towing. With our current Tundra we doing good if we get 12.

We know that Ford F150s have even better specs in regards to towing and cargo and in other ways probably and we almost bought one in 22 but I'm glad we didn't since our needs have changed, we were going to get the extra cab but since then we got our gigantic dog Biscuit, a Pyranyse so glad we didn't. I know there are many loyal and happy ford owners here but we have been happy with all the Toyotas we have owned over the years and just feel better going with a Toyota.
Old 01-02-2024, 11:10 AM   #29

The 2023 in Maryland turned out to be a 5.5' bed even though they told us it has a 6.6" bed.
We put down a deposit on the 2024 Tundra coming to Glenwood Springs end of January it's more expensive but it has everything we wanted. Also only a two hours drive away rather than being in Maryland.

We bought our Escape new but other than that this will be the first new car or truck that either of has ever bought.
Old 01-02-2024, 11:45 AM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post
The 2023 in Maryland turned out to be a 5.5' bed even though they told us it has a 6.6" bed.
We put down a deposit on the 2024 Tundra coming to Glenwood Springs end of January it's more expensive but it has everything we wanted. Also only a two hours drive away rather than being in Maryland.

We bought our Escape new but other than that this will be the first new car or truck that either of has ever bought.
Congrats on the new Tundra! It will serve you well.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 04:14 PM   #31

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Thumbs up

Quote:
... I know there are many loyal and happy ford owners here but we have been happy with all the Toyotas we have owned over the years and just feel better going with a Toyota.
Just because there are loyal and happy Ford owners doesn't preclude loyal and happy Toyota (and GM, and Ram, and ...) owners, too.

Congrats on your TBD '24 Tundra, I'll bet it'll be a great truck!
Old 01-03-2024, 12:17 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:

Congratulations on the new Tundra.

I didn't know the Crewmax was even available with a 6'6" box. That would be ideal. It would be a tight squeeze but I think one would just fit in my garage.

I wonder if they are available in Canada, too, or if it's just a US thing?

I won't need one for a while, my 10 yr old Tundra only has 160,000km on it, but I can dream.
Old 01-03-2024, 07:41 PM   #33

Quote:
And it has a ten speed automatic, its advertised mpg is way better at 17 city, 23 hwy and 19 combined. I'll be happy if we get 14 or 15 while towing. With our current Tundra we doing good if we get 12.
I'm not sure how useful this info is to a current Tundra owner who is is buying a new one to pull a 5.0; it's sort of apples-and-oranges, but I recently completed a shakedown cruise of my new 2024 Tundra pulling my 21. I went to Orlando and back during the holidays, for round-trip towing of about 950 miles. Some notes:

- It towed my trailer quite well; it had plenty of power.

- The standard mirrors are far enough apart to see down each side of the trailer. Towing mirrors aren't needed.

- Weight distributing hitch isn't needed.

- My version of the Tundra is the TRD Off-Road 4x4. The drivers seat is up high so there is good visibility. When I'm southbound in Kansas I'll be able to see Mexico.

- Mileage has been a disappointment so far. I got about 11.9 MPG when towing at around 60-65 MPH. While in the Orlando area I had a truck cap put on the bed. This seemed to have no effect on mileage when towing. I dumped my tanks on the way home, lightening the trailer by about 300 pounds. This also had no effect on mileage. Only speed had an effect on mileage. I don't have mileage data yet for just driving with the cap and no trailer, and I don't have a good record of mileage without the cap and trailer, as I didn't drive the truck much before towing my trailer to Orlando. The damned thing is big, I tell you.

Meet Moby (attached).
Attached Thumbnails
20240102_moby.jpg  
Old 01-04-2024, 08:09 AM   #34

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I'm not sure how useful this info is to a current Tundra owner who is is buying a new one to pull a 5.0; it's sort of apples-and-oranges, but I recently completed a shakedown cruise of my new 2024 Tundra pulling my 21. I went to Orlando and back during the holidays, for round-trip towing of about 950 miles. Some notes:

- The standard mirrors are far enough apart to see down each side of the trailer. Towing mirrors aren't needed.

- My version of the Tundra is the TRD Off-Road 4x4. The drivers seat is up high so there is good visibility. When I'm southbound in Kansas I'll be able to see Mexico.

- Mileage has been a disappointment so far. I got about 11.9 MPG when towing at around 60-65 MPH. While in the Orlando area I had a truck cap put on the bed. This seemed to have no effect on mileage when towing. I dumped my tanks on the way home, lightening the trailer by about 300 pounds. This also had no effect on mileage. Only speed had an effect on mileage. I don't have mileage data yet for just driving with the cap and no trailer, and I don't have a good record of mileage without the cap and trailer, as I didn't drive the truck much before towing my trailer to Orlando. The damned thing is big, I tell you.

Meet Moby (attached).
That is a wonderful looking truck. Congratulations.
I'm looking forward to some mileage info when you've put on some more miles.
It used to be common for mileage to improve once the vehicle was broken in. I'm not positive if that still applies but I suspect it does.
Old 01-04-2024, 10:52 AM   #35

Trailer: 5.0
Quote:
We are looking at new or nearly new Toyota Tundras and I was wondering if anybody here is towing their 5.0 with a 2023 Tundra and what were your hitch options. The new Tundras have a composite bed and so I'm not sure what our options are.

Is there a rail mount option or turn over ball for this truck?

Any information or personal experiance is appreciated,

Thanks, Dan
Not sure about the Anderson set up but you might consider getting a regular type fifth wheel hitch that slides. The thing I like about this option is once you arrive at your destination. You can slide the hitch back and have enough room in between your tailgate and trailer to actually open the tailgate. Can you do this with an Anderson? Is there enough room to open your tailgate?
Grasshog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 09:02 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post

Meet Moby (attached).
Nice looking truck! So that's a double cab and 6.6 bed? Not that different the 5.0 and 21 as far as what kind of mileage to expect I think. Thanks for sharing.

That's disappointing to hear about the mileage but not surprising I guess. Towing something over 5K pounds no matter what just seems to drop your mileage to something close to ten mpg. I drove my dads old GMC farm truck an 18,000 GVW truck with a 350 V8 loaded from California to Colorado once and I got 10 mpg all the way. In my old schoolie days I had a short bus 23' and I got 10 mpg, a friend of mine with a 40' bus he got ten mpg. I would be happy to get 12 mpg, so not bad I guess.

I'm sure it will be a much better towing experience with the increased torque and hp. over our twenty year old Tundra, much more comfortable ride too I expect. We are getting the SR5 not a TRD but it has the deluxe accessories with power seats and the large fuel tank.
Old 01-04-2024, 09:23 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshog View Post
Not sure about the Anderson set up but you might consider getting a regular type fifth wheel hitch that slides. The thing I like about this option is once you arrive at your destination. You can slide the hitch back and have enough room in between your tailgate and trailer to actually open the tailgate. Can you do this with an Anderson? Is there enough room to open your tailgate?
I'm considering the Recon fifth wheel hitch recommended by david murphy but still really thinking about that Rese goose neck pin box conversion. It would be really nice to not have to heft a hitch in and out of the truck bed. I need to look at weight comparisons though that thing looks heavy and overkill for an escape. Anderson makes the ranch conversion that converts your current pin box to a goose neck and they say it doesn't add any stress to your trailer frame. It's semi permanent as it's really torqued onto your fifth wheel pin then either welded or bolted with four grade eight bolts. It would be easier to just replace your pin box if you want to go back to a fifth wheel. The Anderson Ranch conversion and a new Lippert pin box is still less than the Reese pin box.

I don't know if anybody has done either of these conversions to a 5.0 so it's kind of uncharted territory but it's been done lots of times to much larger trailers and either is rated to 20K or more. The Anderson conversion is definitely lighter though and I don't know if an escape is heavy enough to put the air ride suspension of the Rese to any use.

Our next door neighbor just got a new 23 Tundra so I can go over and take bed and rail height measurements and look it over to try and figure out which way we might go.
Old 01-04-2024, 10:34 PM   #38

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Exclamation caveat emptor

Quote:
.... Anderson makes the ranch conversion that converts your current pin box to a goose neck and they say it doesn't add any stress to your trailer frame. ....
You can 'trust' Andersen which has no specific knowledge about each particular trailer's construction, or you can trust ETI which has explicitly stated they do not endorse the Ranch Hitch or similar adaptors on the 5.0 and their use may void your frame warranty (call and ask ETI).

The Ranch Hitch Installation Manual can be downloaded from a link on this webpage: https://andersenhitches.com/product/...hitch-adapter/

With all due respect I believe you are mistaken with regard to added stress based on laws of science (force vectors) and this diagram from page 3 of the Andersen Ranch Hitch Adaptor Installation Manual (note about Escape dimensions added by me):
Attached Thumbnails
Ranch Hitch installation Manual exerpt.png  
Old 01-04-2024, 10:44 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
That is a wonderful looking truck. Congratulations.
I'm looking forward to some mileage info when you've put on some more miles.
It used to be common for mileage to improve once the vehicle was broken in. I'm not positive if that still applies but I suspect it does.
Thanks. To make up for its handsome profile, the truck's grill is kinda ugly.

Today I drove back to the dealer in Alabama to have a dashcam installed, then I did some shopping in Pensacola. I drove 180 miles in city and highway driving, and I got 19.4 MPG according to the truck's computer. That's not bad considering its size and weight. This will probably be the last MPG stat of driving without the trailer that I will post for a while, since I'm going to let the Tundra sleep in the garage until it is time to hitch up and head West in a couple of weeks.
Old 01-04-2024, 11:01 PM   #40

Quote:
Nice looking truck! So that's a double cab and 6.6 bed? Not that different the 5.0 and 21 as far as what kind of mileage to expect I think. Thanks for sharing.
Yes, it has the 6.6 foot bed and the double cab.

Again, the following may be old hat to people who have purchased tow vehicles recently, but it was new to me:

The Tundra has a built-in trailer brake controller that is calibrated via controls on the steering wheel and a menu system on the instrument panel.

When hitching up for the first time the panel prompts the driver to select the weight of the trailer from a menu of ranges. It has a "tow mode" which adjusts the engine, transmission, and steering (!) to optimize for towing.

The truck knows when a trailer is connected to the seven-pin plug. It disables the cruise control and the thing that shuts off the engine at red lights (dunno what that's called). I'm sure there's other stuff going on that I haven't discovered yet. It's early.