5th wheel hitch options 23-24 Toyota Tundra - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-17-2023, 09:37 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
5th wheel hitch options 23-24 Toyota Tundra

We are looking at new or nearly new Toyota Tundras and I was wondering if anybody here is towing their 5.0 with a 2023 Tundra and what were your hitch options. The new Tundras have a composite bed and so I'm not sure what our options are.

Is there a rail mount option or turn over ball for this truck?

Any information or personal experiance is appreciated,

Thanks, Dan
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 10:03 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I just bought a 2024 Tundra TRD 4x4 Off-Road truck. Its bed appears to be composite; a magnet won't stick to it, anyway. In fact, a magnet won't stick to the hood, the sides of the truck bed, and the upper part of the tailgate. I don't know if they are made of some non-ferrous metal, fiberglass, or something else. A magnet will stick to the doors, the cab, and most of the tailgate.

BTW - this particular model of Tundra is 56.25 inches high at the side of the bed. That might be of concern to a 5.0 owner.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 10:33 AM   #3

It looks like there is a turn over ball mount option by B&W but maybe no rail mount.

If that's the case we'll be needing an new hitch as well.

Other option would be to replace the pin box with a goose box and have no hitch in the bed. Not an adaptor but a complete new pin box here's a Reese goose box https://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck-a...ent=0%20-%2030

I'm not sure if Rese is the best option, I think Lippert makes one as well.
Old 12-17-2023, 10:55 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post
It looks like there is a turn over ball mount option by B&W but maybe no rail mount.

If that's the case we'll be needing an new hitch as well.

Other option would be to replace the pin box with a goose box and have no hitch in the bed. Not an adaptor but a complete new pin box here's a Reese goose box https://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck-a...ent=0%20-%2030

I'm not sure if Rese is the best option, I think Lippert makes one as well.
WOW! that is expensive! Why not get a turnover ball set up and an anderson ultimate set up to go with it. Much cheaper and a great set up.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 11:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
WOW! that is expensive! Why not get a turnover ball set up and an anderson ultimate set up to go with it. Much cheaper and a great set up.
Yes, $400 to $600 cheaper, the lowest price I'm seeing for the Anderson turn over ball hitch is $1,000.

As for why, so that you don't have to have this in the back of your truck.

Unhitch, turn the ball over, done.

The Anderson's a nice hitch and might be what we end up with. This just looks like an attractive option to not have a hitch at all, just the turn over ball.
Attached Thumbnails
Anderson Ultimate.jpg  
Old 12-17-2023, 11:25 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post
A little cheaper, the lowest price I'm seeing for the Anderson turn over ball hitch is $1,000.

As for why, so that you don't have to have this in the back of your truck.

Unhitch, turn the ball over, done.

The Anderson's a nice hitch and might be what we end up with. This just looks like an attractive option to not have a hitch at all, just the turn over ball.
Gulp I guess prices HAVE gone up! BTW I have a rail mounted one in my Tundra and love it.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 12:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
Gulp I guess prices HAVE gone up! BTW I have a rail mounted one in my Tundra and love it.
Yea, no kidding, on everything!

We will get an Anderson if we don't do this conversion, not too serious about it it just looks like a nice option to consider.

I see a lot of the behemoth variety of fifth wheels with a goose neck conversion, but haven't seen anybody do this with an escape 5.0. I think we would be the first so it's uncharted territory.
Old 12-17-2023, 12:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
The Reese goose box has the advantage of an air ride suspension. Never thought I needed one, but until someone has tried it, who knows?

The Andersen turn over hitch doesn’t need rails, but it needs more room in the bed of the truck than the rail mount version, which is what we have.

Is it possible to install rails on a composite bed? It seems to me from my rail mount that the rails get their support from the frame.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 12:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
There are also several conventional fifth wheel hitches that are designed to mount on a gooseneck ball. We have a Demco Recon and have been very happy with it, the base is a good bit smaller than the gooseneck version of the Andersen hitch so it leaves more unobstructed space in the bed. Ours is rail mounted, but the gooseneck version is essentially the same.

https://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck-a...DM8550046.html
Attached Thumbnails
Recon hitch 1.jpg  
Old 12-17-2023, 03:42 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
The Reese goose box has the advantage of an air ride suspension. Never thought I needed one, but until someone has tried it, who knows?

The Andersen turn over hitch doesn’t need rails, but it needs more room in the bed of the truck than the rail mount version, which is what we have.

Is it possible to install rails on a composite bed? It seems to me from my rail mount that the rails get their support from the frame.
You are correct about the rail mounts getting support from brackets attached to the frame. The bed is sandwiched between the rails and the brackets.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 04:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
You are correct about the rail mounts getting support from brackets attached to the frame. The bed is sandwiched between the rails and the brackets.
so , I would guess the rail version would work well for OP's situation in his Tundra?
Old 12-17-2023, 04:20 PM   #12

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
so , I would guess the rail version would work well for OP's situation in his Tundra?
I’d make a call to Trademasters in Chiliwack and ask them if they can install rails into a 23-24 tundra. They’d probably be happy to answer your question even though you likely won’t be making the trip up there for the installation.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 05:08 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
I’d make a call to Trademasters in Chiliwack and ask them if they can install rails into a 23-24 tundra. They’d probably be happy to answer your question even though you likely won’t be making the trip up there for the installation.
Agreed. I would also check with a hitch company like Reese or Curt. Reese appears to offer kits specific to composite beds on Chevy trucks.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 05:15 PM   #14

When I bought my 2019 Ram the new body style had just come out and truck-specific rail kits were very hard to find. Demco was the first out with a rail kit, you might check with them too.
Old 12-17-2023, 06:28 PM   #15

I believe it would be possible to install rails in a composite bed there are universal kits, that's what i put in our 2002 Tundra because it was so old. I wouldn't do that though in a new truck especially with a composite bed. Those kits require drilling holes in the frame rails, where as I understand the specific kits don't require drilling.

After having rails I think I would like to try a turn over ball anyway and not have the rails in the truck bed when not towing. As far as the Anderson goes though the footprint is better for the rail version, I suppose all the turnover ball hitches need a bigger footprint. Maybe something like the Recon would be more to our liking. We have been using a conventional hitch so far and I like it for hitching and unhitching. Heavier though so we'll have to see what cargo capacity we end up with.

Anybody here towing a 5.0 with one of these Tundras?
Old 12-17-2023, 06:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
There are also several conventional fifth wheel hitches that are designed to mount on a gooseneck ball. We have a Demco Recon and have been very happy with it, the base is a good bit smaller than the gooseneck version of the Andersen hitch so it leaves more unobstructed space in the bed. Ours is rail mounted, but the gooseneck version is essentially the same.

https://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck-a...DM8550046.html
The Recon looks good, looks like smaller footprint than the Anderson. I'm not sure how it works though did you look at the pictures?

It's weird how the square base isn't down on the truck bed, I don't know what it's for in that case. Maybe they put it together wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
image_2023-12-17_174154252.png  
Old 12-17-2023, 07:18 PM   #17

Not sure about that pic, I have not seen that one before. Check a few other photos from different sources, the ones I have seen the base sits flat on the bed. One of the advantages of the Recon is that it is a lot lighter than most conventional hitches...although still not as light as the Andersen.
Old 12-17-2023, 07:35 PM   #18

I looked at it closer, the first picture you can see a big set screw that would go into an indent in the base, I think E-trailer just set it up funny.

Yes it looks like a nice compact design and not so heavy, and it looks like the top hitch plate comes off by pulling a pin so you can put the base in, then put the top on, and the opposite on the way out.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-18-2023, 06:41 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I was perusing the Tundra owners manual about its driving support system regarding towing. I came upon this statement:

The system is designed to support
trailers with single or multi-axles
using a ball hitch. The system does
not support fifth wheel or gooseneck
trailers.

This is section 4-5, p. 398. Owners Manual_USA_M0C056_en. The truck has a built-in brake controller. I haven't read the entire section yet so there may be mitigating factors.

I haven't towed with the Tundra yet. I'm taking my trailer down to Orlando for Christmas as a test run. I'll know more after that.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 09:09 AM   #20

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I was perusing the Tundra owners manual about its driving support system regarding towing. I came upon this statement:

The system is designed to support
trailers with single or multi-axles
using a ball hitch. The system does
not support fifth wheel or gooseneck
trailers.

This is section 4-5, p. 398. Owners Manual_USA_M0C056_en. The truck has a built-in brake controller. I haven't read the entire section yet so there may be mitigating factors.
Please note ^ that's ^ only in reference to certain "Driving Support Systems" such as the 'trailer back-up guide' and 'straight path assist'.

Note that in that same manual, Section "4-1, Before Towing", beginning on ~page 192, there's information about towing 5th-wheel / gooseneck trailers, so the vehicle seems to be rated and capable of such within appropriate weight limits when equipped with an appropriate aftermarket hitch.

This is similar to the Gen 14 (2021-2024) F150 situation - several of the F150's similar 'high-tech' trailer-towing "Driving Aids" do not support 5th-wheel / gooseneck trailers, but the vehicle is explicitly rated as capable of towing those trailer types within stated weight and frontal-area limits when equipped with an appropriate aftermarket hitch.

Personally, I've never found the lack of support from those trailer-towing 'driving aids' detracts from my 5.0 towing enjoyment. YMMV.