5th wheel hitch options 23-24 Toyota Tundra - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2024, 03:53 PM   #41

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
With all due respect I believe you are mistaken with regard to added stress based on laws of science (force vectors) and this diagram from page 3 of the Andersen Ranch Hitch Adaptor Installation Manual (note about Escape dimensions added by me):
No worries you are correct. It wasn't from Andersen after looking again but from e-trailer, clearly Anderson doesn't say that, I attached this message from their installation guide.

They also say in the guide you are more likely to have a problem the heavier the trailer as well as the length of extension of the pin box, sounds like especially the pin box itself. The Lippert 1716 pin box is rated for a 15.500 pound trailer though so I don't think it would have any trouble. If there is going to be a problem it would be the trailer frame. It might handle it just fine, looking at reviews on e-trailer you don't see anything catastrophic but it doesn't seem worth the risk to me.

The Reese goose box says that the air ride suspension reduces the stresses to you trailer and tow vehicles frame. Is that reduced stress vs an adaptor or vs using a fifth wheel hitch. It says that it won't void your Lippert frame warranty I know that Escape buys the frames for their trailers from another vendor I expect it is a local manufacturer not Lippert. Seems like it would be much lower risk all in all going this rout.
Escape says this;
Non-Standard Hitches and Warranty
Towing with a trailer connection other than the supplied pin box is discouraged and will result in the
customer voiding their trailer warranty. Escape trailer will not install alternative pin boxes, hitch
adapters, or other non-standard equipment. Some arrangements cause the trailer frame to see
increased stress during operation, resulting in risk of damage or injury.

People in the reviews say they have an improved towing experience with the air ride goose box conversion but of course most of them are towing a 15,000 - 25,000lb trailer.

I'm just tossing ideas around right now, I haven't found how much the Reese goose box weighs compared to the Lippert pin box if it's more than 100lbs I wouldn't be saving any weight over using the Recon hitch as it would all be additional pin weight which translates to cargo weight same as a using a fifth wheel hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Anderersen Ranch Hitch.PNG  
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 04:09 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Thanks. To make up for its handsome profile, the truck's grill is kinda ugly.

I drove 180 miles in city and highway driving, and I got 19.4 MPG according to the truck's computer.
Not as ugly as they were a few years ago. All in all I think it's a pretty good looking truck. Ours has the black grill, horizontal bars.
Old 01-05-2024, 04:54 PM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
It used to be common for mileage to improve once the vehicle was broken in. I'm not positive if that still applies but I suspect it does.
I agree and I wasn't positive about it either, so I asked my very auto knowledgeable cousin about this. He said it's still true, but modern vehicles are built to very tight tolerances so it might take 5,000 miles or more before any mileage increase can be seen. I'll keep an eye on it.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 08:28 PM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Mileage update

I am now in Quartzsite, AZ and have some new mileage info. After a five-day cross-country tow the truck's computer said I averaged 12.5 MPG. I guess that's acceptable given the Tundra's high profile, weight, and 4x4 drivetrain.

Other notes:

- I was wrong about the cruise control. It *will* work when in tow/haul mode. I guess I had been doing something wrong.

- The controls are very complex, driven by menus on the instrument panel which are controlled by paddles and buttons on the steering wheel. At one point I kept hearing a beep and seeing an illustration of a steaming cup of coffee, with the message "Do you need to take a break?" I'll assume the truck took an ultrasound of my bladder and concluded I needed a potty break. Otherwise I'm not sure what prompted this.

- In the old Toyota tradition, the radio stinks. I had a cross-Texas cussfit trying to get it to cooperate. Nope.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 08:23 AM   #45

Trailer: 2018 None
Well Dan, if you don't mind sharing, what was your final choices of Tundra, payload, crewman or double cab, bed size, and hitch? How did it tow and hook-up? Are you happy with the Tundra? Sorry for all the questions but I am thinking of getting a Tundra soon. You can PM me if you wish.
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 02:15 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Well Dan, if you don't mind sharing, what was your final choices of Tundra, payload, crewman or double cab, bed size, and hitch? How did it tow and hook-up? Are you happy with the Tundra? Sorry for all the questions but I am thinking of getting a Tundra soon. You can PM me if you wish.
Hi George, we are getting it sometime next week, it's in Denver awaiting transport to Glenwood Springs. We are getting a white SR5 super crew cab with 6'6" bed, premium package, advanced technology package, spray on bed liner and some other goodies including the 32g fuel tank. It came to $58,793 after dealer fees and -$1,500 from the dealer.

I'll share more after we get the truck, we have a trip planed end of March so I want to get it and start breaking it in before we start towing. I have an appointment to have the B&W turnover ball installed, this is the only option for the new Tundra. I still haven't decided on a hitch but need to pretty soon.
Old 01-26-2024, 07:13 PM   #47

Trailer: 2018 None
Dan, It will be interesting to hear your thoughts. Thanks for the reply.
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 01:22 PM   #48

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
It’s all coming together….

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post
Hi George, we are getting it sometime next week, it's in Denver awaiting transport to Glenwood Springs. We are getting a white SR5 super crew cab with 6'6" bed, premium package, advanced technology package, spray on bed liner and some other goodies including the 32g fuel tank. It came to $58,793 after dealer fees and -$1,500 from the dealer.

I'll share more after we get the truck, we have a trip planed end of March so I want to get it and start breaking it in before we start towing. I have an appointment to have the B&W turnover ball installed, this is the only option for the new Tundra. I still haven't decided on a hitch but need to pretty soon.
For anyone wanting to install a in bed plug. ETrailer confirmed that the Hopkins Endurance 5th Wheel/Gooseneck 90 degree wiring harness item #41157 is plug and play with the 3rd generation Tundra.

Don’t know if this helps, but after much research I ended up ordering the raised Andersen Ultimate hitch for the B&W gooseneck. I chose the Andersen mostly due to the limited payload of the Tundra. Ours is a very basic double cab with the 6’6” bed.

Really like the truck. It checked my three biggest must haves. LED headlights and fogs, radar cruise control and payload for the price point. My only unknown at this time is how much rear sag I will have upon hook up. Won’t find that out until we get the trailer out of storage this May. Scott
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 02:18 PM   #49

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
A quick follow up for the 3rd generation Tundra owners. I thought that I had ordered the raised Andersen Ultimate hitch but ended up receiving the standard Gooseneck mount #3320 (The raised version is out of stock, and I inadvertently ordered the standard model). Any how…

These measurements are for a 2024 Double Cab with the 6’6” bed:

56.5” for the tailgate with the highest point being the spoiler.

56” from the ground to the bed rail at the axle.

21.5” interior bedrail height.

34.5” from ground to bed height.

The standard Andersen is 14-7/16” in the low ball position.

After running the numbers I think I am good to go with the standard Goose neck mount. This is for a 2014 5.0 TA with the raised suspension and the pin box retracted one hole.
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote