Bulldog Coupler - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2020, 11:31 AM   #21

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I would think that "campers" would be able to cope with a little adversity and overcome challenges, like placing the hitch on the ball.

There's "adversity", and then there's "what is that nut doing?" when other campers see me jumping up and down on my rear bumper trying to break loose the ball from the hitch.

The Bulldog is becoming more attractive - if the other parts don't need to be relocated.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:34 AM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
There's "adversity", and then there's "what is that nut doing?" when other campers see me jumping up and down on my rear bumper trying to break loose the ball from the hitch.
Alan

Have you figured out that that doesn't work yet?
Old 08-10-2020, 11:38 AM   #23

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Have you figured out that that doesn't work yet?
Hmmm, are you insulting my intelligence, or complimenting my lack of intelligence?

(Or perhaps I am just proving the classical definition of insanity...)
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:51 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
As I write this my trailer is at the welder getting a bull dog attached to the tongue. More on that later.

I weighed replacing the manual jack with an electric model. If I had a weight distribution hitch I would do it in a heartbeat. Not having a WDH and my manual jack seeming very functional and of good quality I see no reason to replace it. If in the future I had "issues" it would be an easy replacement.

Stay tuned for a report on my bull dog replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstruzz View Post
I've also had enough of the ram coupler after less than a year with it, and am sold on getting a bulldog slide lock coupler welded on. I've got a related question to this - when I pull everything apart, is it also worth replacing the trailer jack (I have a manual jack)?

I'd only replace it with another manual jack, and am just wondering if the unit Escape puts on is the same low-end quality of the coupler. Is it worth replacing with an American made unit while everything is pulled apart?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:44 PM   #25

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
I would think that "campers" would be able to cope with a little adversity and overcome challenges, like placing the hitch on the ball.

I'm guessing I have the Ram on my 2008 17B.

Have I had issues? Once in a while I've had to move the tow a half inch forward or back.

I figured I had to learn how to do it.
How does that saying go? "It's a poor workman who blames his tools"?
Maybe the Bulldog is easier and smoother, but so is checking in to a Hilton Hotel.
If it ain't broke.....
Old 08-10-2020, 02:03 PM   #26
Bea

Thank you for posting about your Bulldog coupler replacements. Enjoy learning from you here! For those of us with Andersen WDH systems, I discovered an interesting read on the Oliver forum regarding the Bulldog couplers:

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/for...anderson-ball/.
In a nutshell, sounds like there was an issue for someone (with excessive ball wear) when they used a Bulldog with the old Andersen WDH system. Kinda makes sense since both use a horizontal load on the coupler, unlike the traditional vertical loads.

However, when he switched to the updated Andersen system and the Bulldog, those issues seem to be addressed and resolved....so far. I guess time will tell.
https://olivertraveltrailers.com/for...-to-2-516quot/

-Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:59 PM   #27

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
My bulldog couplers is scheduled for delivery on Wednesday August 12th -Install to follow
I figure this is the time to try and whittle down my repair list to a manageable level
Right now the way it looks , I will run out of money long before I run out of list .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:19 PM   #28

This is exactly what happened to me. A fellow forum member read of my plight and informed me that he had read of the Andersen issue on the Airstream forum.

In my case I used an Andersen WDH for about two years and then decided I did not need a WDH. Eventually my Escape installed RAM hitch started making a clunking noise, especially noticeable at stops. A replacement 2” ball did not help the noise. It turns out the Andersen caused premature wear on coupler. Those using Andersen WDH will not have an issue, as long as they keep using it. Only when you stop does the problem manifest itself.

I used my Bulldog for the first time today. The clunking is gone. So far I like the Bulldog but the spring needs some use to make it easier to operated the latch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Thank you for posting about your Bulldog coupler replacements. Enjoy learning from you here! For those of us with Andersen WDH systems, I discovered an interesting read on the Oliver forum regarding the Bulldog couplers:

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/for...anderson-ball/.
In a nutshell, sounds like there was an issue for someone (with excessive ball wear) when they used a Bulldog with the old Andersen WDH system. Kinda makes sense since both use a horizontal load on the coupler, unlike the traditional vertical loads.

However, when he switched to the updated Andersen system and the Bulldog, those issues seem to be addressed and resolved....so far. I guess time will tell.
https://olivertraveltrailers.com/for...-to-2-516quot/

-Bea
Old 08-11-2020, 12:57 AM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Pulled two trips now with my new Bulldog coupler and love it. No more stuck on the ball mess when unhitching at destination, no more slop noise, and 360 degree clamp under the ball makes it feel way safer.
One note for those installing the Bulldog. There is a plate on our 19 under the tongue that has a hole the tongue jack passes through. Alignment after weld was off when I reinstalled the tongue jack and had to get the Jigsaw out and enlarge the hole in that bottom plate. All Good. If I had known that, I could have had the welder grind off that bottom plate and weld it back on in correct alignment. Not a huge issue, but did cause about an hour delay in getting the tongue jack reinstalled.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:57 AM   #30

I retrieved the newly installed Bulldog coupler from the welder yesterday. It just came out of the paint shop on my driveway. I choose the 5,000 # model with the low-profile unlocking lever. It comes in gray primer.

Some observations on the coupler. The old RAM coupler must have had threaded holes for the hitch jack. I could not feel a nut on the underside. The Bulldog has slots for jack, no threads. So, an issue arose in that the welder could not thread on nut on the front bolt for the jack. Our only choice was to weld it on. Second the welder had to insert some ¼” steel between the new coupler and the frame. There was too much room. What I am not sure about is why, but I was careful to mention to him that the holes for the jack had to be the same or greater distance from the propane cover. He may have had to insert the filler to meet that dimension.

The Bulldog cost $80 at our local farm store. Amazon carries it as well. The welder did the job for $180; I thought a low cost with small city pricing.

At the same time, I replaced the water pump. It has been firing off at odd times. After checking for leaks it appears the diaphragm may have failed. The repair kit cost ½ the price of a new pump. I did the exact same model and noticed immediately how much quieter it runs.
Attached Thumbnails
Bulldog couplera.jpg  
Old 08-11-2020, 12:10 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Pulled two trips now with my new Bulldog coupler and love it. No more stuck on the ball mess when unhitching at destination, no more slop noise, and 360 degree clamp under the ball makes it feel way safer.
One note for those installing the Bulldog. There is a plate on our 19 under the tongue that has a hole the tongue jack passes through. Alignment after weld was off when I reinstalled the tongue jack and had to get the Jigsaw out and enlarge the hole in that bottom plate. All Good. If I had known that, I could have had the welder grind off that bottom plate and weld it back on in correct alignment. Not a huge issue, but did cause about an hour delay in getting the tongue jack reinstalled.
Good to know Greg ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:04 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Some observations on the coupler. The old RAM coupler must have had threaded holes for the hitch jack. I could not feel a nut on the underside. The Bulldog has slots for jack, no threads. So, an issue arose in that the welder could not thread on nut on the front bolt for the jack. Our only choice was to weld it on. Second the welder had to insert some ¼” steel between the new coupler and the frame. There was too much room.
The Old coupler did have threaded holes for the tongue jack, Bulldog did require adding nuts underneath. I had no issue putting a bolt and nut in all three holes of the tongue jack, so that is strange. Had to use an extension on my socket to put the bolt on the front nut, but plenty of access to do that.
Have no idea why they added the 1/4" steel, wasn't anything on ours but grind off and weld on. I did go with the low profile 7000lb Bulldog, so maybe it's a better match?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:32 PM   #33

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
I retrieved the newly installed Bulldog coupler from the welder yesterday. It just came out of the paint shop on my driveway. I choose the 5,000 # model with the low-profile unlocking lever. It comes in gray primer.

Some observations on the coupler. The old RAM coupler must have had threaded holes for the hitch jack. I could not feel a nut on the underside. The Bulldog has slots for jack, no threads. So, an issue arose in that the welder could not thread on nut on the front bolt for the jack. Our only choice was to weld it on. Second the welder had to insert some ¼” steel between the new coupler and the frame. There was too much room. What I am not sure about is why, but I was careful to mention to him that the holes for the jack had to be the same or greater distance from the propane cover. He may have had to insert the filler to meet that dimension.

The Bulldog cost $80 at our local farm store. Amazon carries it as well. The welder did the job for $180; I thought a low cost with small city pricing.

At the same time, I replaced the water pump. It has been firing off at odd times. After checking for leaks it appears the diaphragm may have failed. The repair kit cost ½ the price of a new pump. I did the exact same model and noticed immediately how much quieter it runs.
The owner of our local welding shop mentioned that some times they have to weld spacers to the frame so the new coupler does not extend too far back onto the frame and interfere with the propane tank support plate or cover and to accommodate the power jack .
The price I was quoted was $120 to $180 depending on how long it takes and how much misc metal is required . I have to do my own painting
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:55 AM   #34

Trailer: None
Quote:
Thank you for posting about your Bulldog coupler replacements. Enjoy learning from you here! For those of us with Andersen WDH systems
-Bea

Hi - this is a little off topic but I am thinking about ordering a 21NE and am interested in the Andersen WDH. Is this WDH compatible with the coupler on the Escape or does it make more sense to replace the Escape coupler with the Bulldog? What model Andersen WDH do you need for the Escape 21?
rja52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:40 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
I think using the Andersen I bought from ETI with my trailer caused the failure I had with the stock RAM coupler. After reading on Airforums about them causing significant wear I changed the coupler and got a full refund from Andersen. Using the Pro Series( which ETI still calls Equalizer) and very happy with it.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:37 AM   #36

Trailer: 2012 E19
It's odd... when the Andersen No-Sway was quite new, there was chatter on rv forums explaining why that system was hard on the retaining pawl on the typical couplers, and they all said the Bulldog would be much better. Now we've seen info showing that the Bulldog wears a humongous groove in the ball when under pressure from the Andersen. Go figure.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:14 PM   #37
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by rja52 View Post
Hi - this is a little off topic but I am thinking about ordering a 21NE and am interested in the Andersen WDH. Is this WDH compatible with the coupler on the Escape or does it make more sense to replace the Escape coupler with the Bulldog? What model Andersen WDH do you need for the Escape 21?
Hi rja52, We picked up our Escape 21C last year and we installed the new updated Andersen WDH system (ourselves at the Sumas KOA campground) and we are very happy with it.

https://andersenhitches.com/Products...-brackets.aspx

Escape used to install the older Andersen model/style, that apparently caused some issues but so far, the new updated model has been working very well with our 2019 Escape stock RAM coupler. In the beginning, we noticed that sometimes the ball would stick to the coupler when unhitching. Then we learned to pop the TV gear into neutral (with the emergency brake on) when this happens. This helps to release some of the tension on the ball and then it slides right off.

I've no experience with Bulldogs, but having the correct size ball with it seems paramount. The stock Escape RAM coupler is intended for a 2" ball but if you plan to replace it with a Bulldog coupler, it may require a bigger ball? If so, then maybe this Andersen model may be of interest to you:

The 'traditional' WDH system Escape currently offers also seems well liked by many here so either way, the good news is that you have some nice options to choose from! Hope this helps. -Bea
Old 08-12-2020, 01:49 PM   #38

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Hi rja52, We picked up our Escape 21C last year and we installed the new updated Andersen WDH system (ourselves at the Sumas KOA campground) and we are very happy with it.

Escape used to install the older Andersen model/style, that apparently caused some issues but so far, the new updated model has been working very well with our 2019 Escape stock RAM coupler. In the beginning, we noticed that sometimes the ball would stick to the coupler when unhitching. Then we learned to pop the TV gear into neutral (with the emergency brake on) when this happens. This helps to release some of the tension on the ball and then it slides right off.

I've no experience with Bulldogs, but having the correct size ball with it seems paramount. The stock Escape RAM coupler is intended for a 2" ball but if you plan to replace it with a Bulldog coupler, it may require a bigger ball? If so, then maybe this Andersen model may be of interest to you:

The 'traditional' WDH system Escape currently offers also seems well liked by many here so either way, the good news is that you have some nice options to choose from! Hope this helps. -Bea
Bea the bulldog coupler we plan to get and others uses a 2 in ball . They do make them with other size hitch balls ,Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:51 PM   #39

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
.... The stock Escape RAM coupler is intended for a 2" ball but if you plan to replace it with a Bulldog coupler, it may require a bigger ball? ...
Just to clarify, the Bulldog couplers being discussed are designed for a common 2" ball, no worries on that front.

edit - Woops, PT covered it while I was typing
Old 08-12-2020, 01:57 PM   #40
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Bea the bulldog coupler we plan to get and others uses a 2 in ball . They do make them with other size hitch balls ,PT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Just to clarify, the Bulldog couplers being discussed are designed for a common 2" ball, no worries on that front.

edit - Woops, PT covered it while I was typing
Thanks for the clarification Pat and Centex! Looking forward to the follow-up reports! -Bea