Do I need a WDH for 21C and F-150? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2020, 12:16 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWM3 View Post
I see that now. Also looked at the Equal-i-zer web site. Only problem is, I don't have a torque wrench that will go to 320 ft-lbs. And they cost as much as the hitch.

Don
Many auto parts places have free tool rental programs. They charge your card but then give you a full refund when you return it. For example, I've rented a really big torque wrench from AutoZone for this exact reason (installing and adjusting a WDH), and I even took it on a long trip with me, because they let you have it for 90 days!
TahoeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:45 PM   #22

Trailer: 2021 19ft
I have a Blue OX SwayPro which I plan on using on my 19 which is scheduled for June of next year.
I've used it on a R Pod for about 4 trips and worked great. F150 3.5 N/A Engine.
Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:12 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyv View Post
Escape offers 3 hitches at present.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyv View Post
Well i was concerned at pick up time if i needed another hitch to get her back to Iowa. I read Anderson, Curt and other brands being praised on the site.
Escape offers weight distributing(WD) hitch systems... but if you don't need the weight distribution feature, you don't need any of them, and none are included in the base price and equipment.

Some tow vehicles require the use of a WD system if the tongue weight is over a certain limit, some don't allow the use of a WD systems, some don't handle high tongue weight well without WD, and if not required it's a matter of personal preference. The trailer has a coupler for a 2" ball; your tow vehicle needs a 2" ball on whatever holds it up (normally just a ball mount inserted in a receiver structure, but it can be any kind of WD hitch head instead).

You can add whatever weight distribution hitch hardware you like, if you want, whenever you want. If you do want a weight distribution system, you don't need to get it from Escape - it's not specifically designed for the trailer and not built into the trailer when the trailer is manufactured. Escape just makes it convenient for you to buy it through them, and they presumably still install the part which goes on the trailer. The part that goes on the tow vehicle must still be set up properly - Escape may do that for you if you go to the factory, anyone who sells these systems should be able to do it for you, and you can do it yourself.

There's nothing special about the WD hitches offered by Escape. The "Pro Series" is just a typical basic design, and the Fastway E2 is a moderately priced and straightforward example of a design with more sway-controlling friction designed in. Every brand and design probably has some fans, some who hate it, some advantages, and some issues.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:31 PM   #24

Trailer: 2021
Thanks for taking the time Brian. I appreciate the straight forward advice. I've never pulled a trailer, never owned a pick up. I live in the midwest of the lower 48. I'm taking a educated chance that this works out. Can,t afford a condo in the southern states for winter. Also fill in some summertime camping in Michigan and eastern Canada. If they let us in. ( covid ). Thx again ! We take ownership in April

Kind Regards
johnnyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:44 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWM3 View Post
I see that now. Also looked at the Equal-i-zer web site. Only problem is, I don't have a torque wrench that will go to 320 ft-lbs. And they cost as much as the hitch.

Don
The 320 ft-lbs spec is the torque needed to compress the belleville washers on the bolts. Anyone with an impact wrench can tighten the bolts until Belleville washer start to compress - done.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:07 PM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
yeah, I just torqued mine down as hard as I could with a 1/2" 18" breaker bar on a 6-point socket, and the washers were flat, so I figured it was good to go. it never came loose.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:00 PM   #27

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
I have a 2019 21c towed with a ram 1500, and I got a no sway Anderson set up on the rig. I really like it- super quiet, and you can reverse with it set up. It does have sway control built in. If you bring it with you, ETI will set it up on your rig for you for a small charge.
mstruzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:08 PM   #28

Trailer: 2021
Thx for the info !
johnnyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:28 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstruzz View Post
If you bring it with you, ETI will set it up on your rig for you for a small charge.

If you can cross the border.
Old 09-09-2021, 02:09 PM   #30

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21C
I'm interested in your response re: Anderson WDH. We will pick up our 21C with a 1500 Ram in May and have heard a lot about this Anderson from former Escape owners and don't know why they got a way from this product. Any issues with your Anderson and your feelings on the F2 by FastWay WDH they offer.
SmokinCamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:25 PM   #31

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21 NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffman View Post
I've got a 21C on order and will be towing with a 2020 F-150 4x4 short crew 3.5EB. Are you using a WDH with your similar setup or is it not needed? Ford claims trailer anti-sway is built into the traction control system.
I tow my 21NE with an F-150 as well. Do you NEED a WDH - No. Is it way better with a WDH - Yes,

I picked up our trailer in SLC and towed it back to Texas without the WDH...just cause I never got around to setting it up on the trip. It towed just fine. Once home I set up a Fastway E-2 WDH and have towed it 4-5000 miles since. I can say that with the WDH towing is more comfortable and I feel more confident should we be in an emergency situation or high winds. Also without the WDH the truck would sag a couple of inches.

I've used the Equalizer WDH previously and it's probably better than the Fastway E-2, but the Fastway works really well and there is a price difference. I think a WDH is money well spent. It probably takes 2-5 minutes longer hitching and unhitching but that's no big deal.
GregColdewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:44 PM   #32

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Finally!!!

Finally a forum member who sees the light, and isn't griping about the cost of a WDH, the weight of one, the hassle of hooking up and unhooking, or smacking into it with a shin when mounted. Finally!

I HAVE A 1 TON, V-8, 6 litre, full size, 11 passenger capable Chevy Express van, rated for towing just under 10,000 LBS. I don't need no stinkin' WDH, and have towed without it, but I know it helps in every way, every day.

This is one of the eternal forum issues, and like politics or religion, I usually give up discussing and throw up my hands. But a convert!! Bravo! Maestro!
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:27 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape 21 2019
I didn't use a WDH initially (towing with Land Rover LR4, which if you go by the owner's manual you are not to use a WDH with it - self leveling suspension). That made it super fast and easy to hitch and unhitch, and helped keep the tongue weight down. I never had any serious problems...always got where I was going without any noticeable sway. But....there was a lot of rattling around anytime I went over bumps or changed speed, and when I went on the scales I found I was really lightly loaded on my front end. So...I tried adding an Anderson WDH. The front end feels a lot better now (less of a feeling of understeer on turns) and there is no more issue with rattling. It does take a few minutes longer to hook up but its worth it to me for the better ride and peace of mind.

So my $0.02 is that a lot of vehicles, most likely including your F-150, can get by without a WDH, but you will be happier and safer if you have one.
daniel108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:11 PM   #34

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I’m also in the camp of it’s not necessary, but the ride and control is better. I have an Equalizer. I don’t find hooking or unhooking difficult or time consuming. I do find the hitch heavy to remove and install from the receiver. I’ve never had a power tongue jack. I have previously towed a 3000lbs trailer with a Chevy 2500 - still using a wdh. The same hitch will go on my Ranger and E19. I do not use a wdh with my cargo, horse, dump, utility, or boat trailers. They are not set up to easily use a wdh. However, I do not tow those trailers thousands of miles like I do RV’s.
Old 09-10-2021, 02:31 AM   #35
Site Team

my 1st gen 21 doesn't drop the hitch enough on my f250 4x4 longbed diesel to even think of using a WDH, even with the extended length ball mount needed so the tailgate clears the jack handle.. you need measurable droop so you can set the WDH spring tension.
Old 09-10-2021, 10:03 AM   #36

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
With my C 2500 it’s not about “droop”, just ride comfort and sway control. I also never remove the bars to back up. It’s never been a problem for me, but some people find it helpful for some reason.
Old 09-10-2021, 10:14 AM   #37

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I have a 2004 f150, I have towed with or without. Short runs I don’t bother, long trips it minimizes the porpoise effect. Reace advised me that these f150s were lightly sprung for comfort and the WD hitch was desirable but not critical. Exactly my experience.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 03:07 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
No WDH between my 2018 F150 Off Road & a 2017 Escape 21 weighing in at 4700 pounds & 500 pound hitch weight. Probably a bit too much drop when hitched, but I rarely (so far never) tow at night so the headlights are not a problem. Handling is fine - no sway and no porpoising.
Old 09-13-2021, 04:22 AM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
With my C 2500 it’s not about “droop”, just ride comfort and sway control. I also never remove the bars to back up. It’s never been a problem for me, but some people find it helpful for some reason.
my point was, you need some droop to set the WDH springs against, and its not even an inch.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:21 PM   #40

Trailer: 2021 21C
Our f150 long bed crew cab has air bags. Seems to tow the 21 fine without wdh. Previously owned a frontier and it towed our camper (jayco x17z) really well with a wdh. Then bought the f150 towing the same trailer and there was little difference with or with out wdh.
Ryanb-72 is offline   Reply With Quote