Electric F-150 - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2022, 09:15 PM   #161
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
How many here are old enough to get this?
Attached Thumbnails
Screen-Shot-2022-10-06-at-7.28.17-AM.jpg  
Old 10-09-2022, 08:49 AM   #162

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
How many here are old enough to get this?
Henry Ford's son, Edsel.......
Old 10-09-2022, 09:43 AM   #163

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
My wonderful cousin Ronald bought a very low milage Edsel years ago out in the country in Eastern Kansas. He drove it home near Kansas City and parked it in his under the house garage. With a very steep driveway he didn’t like to use the garage especially in the winter so he had a lot of his collectible treasures in there. He started it up in the fall, spring and summer and drove it around the neighborhood. It was a 1958 I believe.

He passed away and left it to one of his two daughters and she promptly sold it for somewhere around 25k. So in the long run, while the Edsel was considered a lemon, it made some pretty sweet lemonade for one of his kids.

Nice job on the photoshop. And it doesn't look that bad. There have been a lot of vehicles designed and built since the Edsel that looked worse in my opinion.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-09-2022, 12:50 PM   #164

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
I want one, and am trying to find a Bolt EUV to acquire, but I go into it knowing that there are significant limitations to a niche vehicle. Not for everybody, and not for everything. We're in the cassette memory era, at best, with dial-up, to use an analogy. EV's will be likely a slower evolution than computers, and time will tell.
Disclosure: This posting was not produced on my venerable VIC 20 Commodore computer, or even on my Radio Shack TRS -80 computer.
I know! you wrote it on your Kaypro running CPM!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 01:03 PM   #165

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Come on!! I'm no Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
I know! you wrote it on your Kaypro running CPM!
My wood burning, steam powered PET computer is what I use.
Talk about a slow boot-up. I have to stoke the boiler, wait and get up a head of steam before I'm online. Jeepers!
Attached Thumbnails
medium_2008_5020.jpg  
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 02:14 PM   #166

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
EV trucks are valuable for fleet vehicles for companies that work in a relatively small area 150 mile radius would be appropriate. Think construction, cabling, plumbers, electricians and other trades. Delivery vehicles also, ups and fedex and Amazon who all work in a defined area. Plug is hybrid technology would be the smarter way to deal with trucks that need to,tow Right now the hybrid trucks are focused on performance rather than efficiency. The new tundra missed the boat by insisting the hybrid is only in upper grades limiting the access to customers that don’t have the means and would benefit more. Why not in the base sr or even the sr 5? The model of increasing obscene truck prices will not be sustained forever. What the market needs is an affordable hybrid truck that gets much better efficiency and can tow reosonable loads. I’d buy one . I won’t buy a 70,000 bells and whistles lipstick laden truck , it’s not my wheelhouse. It could be done for 40,000. The market will adjust I expect at some point. I’m looking for a new tow rig and waiting for the used car bubble to deflate, there’s already some indication of that beginning to happen.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 02:32 PM   #167

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I’d love to have an EV, but they are not practical for where I live yet. I’d consider a hybrid, but the additional cost didn’t pay off for me when calculating ownership costs. There are situations for some people where I could see EV or hybrid paying off. Many buy a car because they like it. It’s not just an economic decision. For me, automobiles are a necessary evil.

I decided to tow my heavier than normal E19 for weeks at a time in mountainous areas, and carry the toys I want, I needed 7000lbs towing, 1800lbs payload and a combined rating of at least 12,000lbs. Then I scoured the market looking for the cheapest new vehicle to meet my requirements. That’s how I figured out how to replace my C2500 as my primary travel truck.

Eventually, something besides an ICE truck will meet my needs, but it hasn’t happened yet.
Old 10-09-2022, 03:45 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
I’d love to have an EV, but they are not practical for where I live yet. I’d consider a hybrid, but the additional cost didn’t pay off for me when calculating ownership costs. There are situations for some people where I could see EV or hybrid paying off. Many buy a car because they like it. It’s not just an economic decision. For me, automobiles are a necessary evil.

I decided to tow my heavier than normal E19 for weeks at a time in mountainous areas, and carry the toys I want, I needed 7000lbs towing, 1800lbs payload and a combined rating of at least 12,000lbs. Then I scoured the market looking for the cheapest new vehicle to meet my requirements. That’s how I figured out how to replace my C2500 as my primary travel truck.

Eventually, something besides an ICE truck will meet my needs, but it hasn’t happened yet.
The last time I bought a car I decided agains the hybrid as it was not cost effective in 2016. Fast forward to 2018 when my partner iris was to replace her Prius. The plug in hybrid prime was only a couple of thousand more. 90 percent of our local travel uses no gas at all. The first year of ownership I think we used 4 tanks of gas. This vehicle was worth it. Especially on emissions. This tech should come to the mainstream vehicle market. It’s practical and for most people who,live in urban areas and daily drives are relatively short, it is one solution and eliminates range anxiety.

Someone might crack hydrogen generation cheaply, another solution. Yes I know they’ll be pile ons on why it can’t work . The world will keep bringing Ians upon us.

There are still very smart people working on this.
Old 10-09-2022, 04:18 PM   #169

Your Prius Prime timing was fortunate

I tried to acquire one 18 months ago. None available as the factory in Japan was closed due to Covid. 6 months ago I tried again. None available, but a $5,000 UPCHARGE over MSRP would be applied if one became available. I guess that's a common dealer move these days.

Watch a sports TV game, and it's mostly car commercials. But the vehicles aren't often available. Drive past a dealers lot. Around here, they're pretty empty.

Good luck with a hydrogen vehicle. And when's my jetpack going to be available?
Old 10-09-2022, 11:19 PM   #170

When my grand father died in 1971 he witnessed the world change from horse and buggy’s to a moon landing. He would have been laughed at if he said that was possible when he was young. He was 92. I’m 70, I hope to live long enough to see the beginning transformation from fossil,fuels as the primary means of transportation. Some will say it will never happen. In 50 years my kids will know. Genius will always appear in generations. Hopefully the trend will continue.
Old 10-09-2022, 11:20 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
My wood burning, steam powered PET computer is what I use.
Talk about a slow boot-up. I have to stoke the boiler, wait and get up a head of steam before I'm online. Jeepers!
I remember these , my first computer was a Commodore 64 with a disc drive. Ended up 20 years as an it pro for the NPS.
Old 10-10-2022, 06:40 PM   #172

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Once as a joke, I calculated the MPG of a Tesla S being recharged by a Honda 2000, and it wasn't very good.
Nice.
A generator driven by a gas engine, charging the battery of an EV is - as I suggested earlier - a bad series hybrid. The efficiency of any series hybrid suffers from energy losses in the generator and the electric motor, which is one reason that pure series hybrid is not the popular configuration for production hybrid vehicles. Using a small generator set is even less efficient for two reasons
  • the small engines are relatively crude and inefficient
  • because the generator is only run while the vehicle is not driving, all electrical energy provided from the generator to the vehicle's motor goes through a battery charge and discharge cycle, which is not perfectly efficient.

A rational series hybrid uses an engine which runs most efficiently at higher power than average used while the vehicle is driving, and runs that generator while driving. Even then, efficiency might not be great - the BMW i3 REx is a pure series hybrid with a suitably sized engine that still gets poor fuel economy for the size and type of vehicle.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 08:08 PM   #173
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Nice.

A rational series hybrid uses an engine which runs most efficiently at higher power than average used while the vehicle is driving, and runs that generator while driving. Even then, efficiency might not be great - the BMW i3 REx is a pure series hybrid with a suitably sized engine that still gets poor fuel economy for the size and type of vehicle.
Sounds like a good description of a diesel- (or gas-) electric engine, as used in locomotives since the late 1930s. Engine drives generator, which powers electric drive motors on axles. Of course rather unwieldy for automobiles, which run just fine with their internal combustion engines connected right to the drive axle(s).
Old 10-12-2022, 01:19 PM   #174

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Sounds like a good description of a diesel- (or gas-) electric engine, as used in locomotives since the late 1930s. Engine drives generator, which powers electric drive motors on axles. Of course rather unwieldy for automobiles, which run just fine with their internal combustion engines connected right to the drive axle(s).
The difference is that a hybrid has a battery, which means that the engine does not need to follow the drive power requirements, so it can run more efficiently. Diesel-electric drives are used in locomotives, ships, and heavy off-highway trucks because mechanical transmissions in those huge sizes are not practical, especially with the need for extremely low gearing in the land vehicles; this is some of the same technology used for very different reasons than in a hybrid.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 02:01 PM   #175

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Thought this was an interesting article

Journalists Plug Ford Electric Truck in at Campground, Find Out It Will Take 5 Days to Fully Charge
https://www.westernjournal.com/journ...fully-charge/?
"Lions and tigers and bears, oh my"! It took about 35 years for the first 200,000 gas stations to be built. EVs still represent less than 3% of new car sales. But that is changing rapidly. 400,000 all-electric vehicles were sold in 2021. Not the greatest year to set records. A leap from 2012 when barely 10,000 were sold. The infrastructure bill that passed in November 2021 earmarked $7.5 billion for President Biden’s goal of having 500,000 chargers (individual plugs, not stations) around the nation. They may not be installed at several of the campsites we have been staying at in Utah that only have pit toilets and a dump station, but they are coming. EV is the wave of the future.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 03:05 PM   #176

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
It took about 35 years for the first 200,000 gas stations to be built.
Apples and oranges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
EV is the wave of the future.
Problem is, it's an artificial wave.
Old 10-12-2022, 06:28 PM   #177

I don't know

Believe what you will, but I just picked up today my 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV. Gave up my Subaru 2017 Impreza. It's still a niche EV market, the EV's have their place and they don't do everything for everybody. But they do a lot of things for many. Distance towing is not one of them.
My EV is intended for mostly in town, local, errand runner duty. I have a Chevy van for towing....up to 10,000 lbs. of trailer capacity. I have an Subaru Outback for longer trips. Right now, I got my bases covered.
Like it or not, civilization will need to retool for the future, if we can have one. I'm dipping my feet in the water. Better sooner than later, is my maxim.

YMMV
Old 10-12-2022, 09:18 PM   #178

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
Apples and oranges.

Problem is, it's an artificial wave.
Sorry, SunriseTrucker, but I disagree with your viewpoint on both issues.
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 09:21 PM   #179
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSwany View Post
Sorry, SunriseTrucker, but I disagree with your viewpoint on both issues.
Just get rid of the tax subsidies and you'll what kind of a wave it is.
Old 10-12-2022, 09:25 PM   #180

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Does that include getting rid of the oil & gas subsidies as well?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesel...h=952dffa44735
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote