Low mileage from Toyota Tacoma - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2023, 11:27 AM   #61

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
Watched a YouTube video yesterday of a comparison of a Tundra V6 Twin Turbo and a Dodge hemi V8 pickup both towing the same 7000 pound trailer on the same, 50 mile, relatively flat course. The Dodge Ram got below 8 mpg and and the Toyota V6 twin turbo got 8.8 mpg. Half of the trip was on I-25 in CO and the other half on a non-freeway highway route. So, if you want mileage and towing, neither one of these vehicles is the one for you.
Unless, of course, you actually tow a 5,000 GW Escape with a 5.7L V8 and get nearly twice the mileage figure reported in that video.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 12:32 PM   #62

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Late commenter, but I might a a cent or so.
We have a 2011 Honda Pilot, with the Acura VTEC 3.5L V6. It produces 250 HP and about 250 Ft-Lbs torque, which is almost identical to the Toyota V6 that was in the Tacoma and Highlander, of that generation.
We tow an Escape 17 (2600 lbs. typ. weight), and our overall average mileage over the last 8 years is 13.4 mpg. That being said, some trips are 11+ mpg, if we're doing a lot of mountain grades (5-6%, 7-9000 ft. altitude, typically). So, I would expect 11 mpg if towing an E19.
Also, max. torque and HP are in the 4-5000 RPM range, so if you don't like to hear the engine do its thing, then you'll be disappointed.

Another ¼ cent: I've noted comments and results, about tow vehicles, posted over the last several years, and have had conversations with other campers about their rigs, including a week ago, where I listened to a glowing, happy report from a guy who has a Ford F150 w/ a 3.5L Ecoboost V6, for a long time.
I'm pretty well convinced that that combo is my next tow vehicle choice. (unless someone comes out with a hybrid that is a Real tow vehicle.)
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 01:28 PM   #63
Red

Trailer: 2018 19 ft Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblagsvedt View Post
I now have towed my Escape 19 with my Toyota Tacoma V6 for the last 2 years and have never gotten more than 11 miles a gallon when towing. Perhaps since I do not live in the RV world, that mileage sucks to me. I would love to get a hybrid or all electrical truck but That is 3-4 years away in terms of affordability. Any suggestions on gas guzzlers that at least can get me 15 miles a gallon when towing. Thanks
I feel your pain but you must realize by now that towing is hard on fuel consumption. Based on my experiences with a 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road with a towing package and pulling a 2018 19ft Escape you should get slightly better results. I just completed a 3000 mile trip through western Canada and while I was as low as 12.5 mpg when fighting a head wind or climbing mountain passes ,most of the time I was 14. My best was 15+ on the prairies driving secondary roads at 60 mph with a slight tail wind.

Getting better mpg from your Tacoma maybe a combination of several small adjustments:
* keep maintenance up to date a clean intake filter can make a noticeable difference.
* level the trailer i use a wdh hitch which brings the front of the truck down and levels the trailer
* reduce drag as much as possible i use a bed cover and keep the trailer buttoned up.
* drive slower my sweet spot seems to be 63 mph
* check tire pressure and alignment on both truck and trailer.
* avoid head winds or reduce speed
* i never use cruise control and try to feather the throttle gently to keep the transmission in lock up in top gear.

I am financially constrained and will not be buying a new truck for a few years so must get the best economy from what i have. You should do better than 11mpg.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 02:02 PM   #64

Trailer: 2019 17b
I also got 10 mpg pulling my 21C with a 2012 Tacoma. I now get 15 mpg with my f150, 2.7 ecoboost, 10 speed AT and st cruise to 60 mph. I get 27 mpg when not pulling and going 65 on highway. Don’t need the larger V6 available the ford is a towing machine and extremely quiet
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 03:08 PM   #65

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
I supercharged my 4Runner. Better mileage and horse power.
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 03:13 PM   #66
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlakeman View Post
afaik, thats only an option on the 4.0L, and I don't know if that kit is still available from Toyota, I know it was for the 2nd gen Tacomas in the late '00s and early '10s
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 04:10 PM   #67

Trailer: E19 due summer 2023, 1940 Waco UPF-7
We just returned from picking up our new 2023 Escape 19 from Sumas. Went down interstate 5 to Mt Shasta (and the DMV there) then accross to Reno NV, and south through the Owens Vally to Los Angeles.
Our truck is a 2018 Ram EcoDiesel two wheel drive with a GDE tune (the tune is a long story, but it works great) so it was a 1500 mile return trip pulling the trailer at around 59mph and we got 20.7 mpg indicated. I think hand calculated mpg might be a bit less but I didn’t do the calculation by hand. Great truck and we really are enjoying our new Escape 19.
Great forum and I’ve used it extensively prior to making the decision to purchase the Escape trailer and while we waited two and a half years for our build. Love our new trailer!!
Thanks
Nelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 08:47 PM   #68

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21 NE
What’s your average towing speed?

You didn’t mention what speed you normally drive when towing — it makes a big difference. My tow vehicle is a F-150 hybrid. At. 70 mph I only get 9 mpg when towing. But if I tow at 60 mph, I get 15 mpg.
Jeff Thoelke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 10:24 PM   #69
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Thoelke View Post
You didn’t mention what speed you normally drive when towing — it makes a big difference. My tow vehicle is a F-150 hybrid. At. 70 mph I only get 9 mpg when towing. But if I tow at 60 mph, I get 15 mpg.
yeah, speed is the a big one. The 9.6MPG I got in the Tacoma pulling the E21 across Texas, NM was traveling close to 70-75 with headwinds because the trucks were going 80+. Also I was staying in 5th gear (6 speed manual) because I'd heard long ago to not use overdrive gears while towing. But when I got my F250 7.3L Powerstroke diesel truck, I ignored that almost entirely since that truck was such a big beast, with a 4 speed automatic where 'OD' was 4th controlled by a button on the end of the shifter.

I haven't towed the Escape hardly far at all with my new rig yet, its an 2019 Expedition with the EcoBoost 3.5L v6 and 10 speed automatic, I figure I'll use tow mode and let the car take care of it self. We're going for a weekend run leaving tomorrow, we'll see how it does. I'm already really happy in the maneuverability, I can U turn the truck+trailer rig in my driveway, the F250 had a 62 foot turning circle and required some gnarly maneuvering, backing the trailer between trees in the woods next to my driveway before I could complete the U turn required to be facing 'out'.

(note, thats the Exp. with its original $#@$#@ 22" wheels, I've replaced those with 18's pulled from a F150, so it now has actual tires on it....)

Old 09-30-2023, 10:03 PM   #70

Trailer: 2012 E19
I watched a YT teardown video of a 2.7 Ecoboost tonight. It runs an oil pump belt wet (in oil); it would take a lot of labor to replace but it's supposed to be a lifetime belt. ATnd it has an oil pan made of some sort of plastic. I thought those were unusual features. The casting looks incredibly strong, though.
Old 10-01-2023, 06:37 AM   #71

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlakeman View Post

After installation of the supercharger does your 4Runner require premium gas?
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 01:04 PM   #72

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
We have a 2022 F150 with the 5.0L V8 and a 3.31 rear end, 4x4. My last F150, a 2004 5.4L ran 355K miles so I was more comfortable with the non turbo V8. I'm getting similar mileage to many of the other F150's postings. 14-16 mpg pulling our Escape 21 and mid twenties highway without the trailer. I have noticed that when I have my two kayaks loaded the truck it seems to get better mileage and handle better, especailly at faster highway speeds. The kayaks go from over the rear of the cab and extend about 30" past the back of the truck. I believe the kayaks help the air transition up over the trailer rather than passing over the cab down to the tonneau bed cover and then hitting the front of the Escape. I can definately tell a difference in the trailer bug splatter with the kayaks on board. Bugs mostly just on the side edges rather than all across the front. On a recent trip to the Colorado mountains I took the kayaks mostly for better gas mileage not knowing if we'd use them. We did end up paddling one day in Grand Lake which was fun so taking them along paid off in more ways than one.
Attached Thumbnails
CO STL Campsite.jpg  
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 06:24 PM   #73
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
mfschu—I wonder if you had a cap on the back of the truck, whether that would help with mileage, too.
Old 10-01-2023, 08:45 PM   #74

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
mfschu—I wonder if you had a cap on the back of the truck, whether that would help with mileage, too.

Yes. A neighbor bought a new Tacoma a year or two ago and a few months later he put a cap on it. He said his mileage improved. He's not towing a trailer with it, though. It's just his everyday vehicle.

When I buy a new truck to pull my trailer I intend to put a cap on it.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 11:13 PM   #75
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I would imagine it does. The same 4.0L engine that was in my 2008 Tacoma was used in some Lexus with a bit higher tune, and these required premium, or the knock sensor would retard you right back where I was power wise.

My 2019 Ford Expedition with the Ford EcoBoost 3.5 is speced for regular gas, but the same engine comes in the "Platinum Edition" at a higher tune (more horses, more torques), and requires premium or it downgrades. After years of driving European cars that required 92-ish octane gas, I'm happy the Expedition likes regular.
Old 10-02-2023, 04:11 AM   #76

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Yes it requires 91 octane to deal with the higher compression. HP and torque increase 30%+. Available for v6 4.0 liter engines, I'm not sure about older v8. $8-10k installed.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...DJB59dqXTSZ2KG
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 09:57 AM   #77

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I would imagine it does. The same 4.0L engine that was in my 2008 Tacoma was used in some Lexus with a bit higher tune, and these required premium, or the knock sensor would retard you right back where I was power wise.

My 2019 Ford Expedition with the Ford EcoBoost 3.5 is speced for regular gas, but the same engine comes in the "Platinum Edition" at a higher tune (more horses, more torques), and requires premium or it downgrades. After years of driving European cars that required 92-ish octane gas, I'm happy the Expedition likes regular.
Hmmmm. My Lexus GX 470 manual says premium is "recommended" for my V8, and I run regular instead, so I guess my engine is retarded and it's all my fault.....
Old 10-02-2023, 10:29 AM   #78

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Hmmmm. My Lexus GX 470 manual says premium is "recommended" for my V8, and I run regular instead, so I guess my engine is retarded and it's all my fault.....

Looks like the discussion has drifted a bit so I am going to take advantage and ask a question that has been in the back of my mind since I purchased my 2015 E'21.

We live in Denver (5280' elevation) and frequently have to drive to 11,000' just to "get out of town". And using my wimpy Tacoma, my gas pedal is down to the floor for an hour continuously. (Manual transmission so I am in the gear of my choice.) Anyway, combine steep grade and high elevation - the perfect environment for severe engine pre-ignition (aka "knock").

Now I know the computer is doing what it needs to, and knock is prevented, but how much power am I loosing thanks to the computer? And the heart of my question: Would I regain that power by using premium gas? (Only at the beginning of my trip.)

I understand that I am asking for speculative answers but that's quite OK.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 11:57 AM   #79

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Don’t know on a Tacoma, but my 2021 Ranger does get a Hp and torque bump from premium. I run 87 unless I’m towing. Mostly I tow with it. I get 93 when I can, but typically it’s 91 I find. The truck will tow on 87. The verdict is still out on whether the fuel mileage improvements enough to pay for premium when not towing.
Old 10-02-2023, 12:13 PM   #80

Trailer: 2023 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Looks like the discussion has drifted a bit so I am going to take advantage and ask a question that has been in the back of my mind since I purchased my 2015 E'21.

We live in Denver (5280' elevation) and frequently have to drive to 11,000' just to "get out of town". And using my wimpy Tacoma, my gas pedal is down to the floor for an hour continuously. (Manual transmission so I am in the gear of my choice.) Anyway, combine steep grade and high elevation - the perfect environment for severe engine pre-ignition (aka "knock").

Now I know the computer is doing what it needs to, and knock is prevented, but how much power am I loosing thanks to the computer? And the heart of my question: Would I regain that power by using premium gas? (Only at the beginning of my trip.)

I understand that I am asking for speculative answers but that's quite OK.
I noticed some pinging with my Tacoma while towing up an 8% grade over a 6000ft pass....using 87 octane fuel. To be on the safe side, I'll definitely be filling up with the highest octane grade available prior to tackling a climb like that again.

6000ft was bad enough. I can't imagine what your Tacoma's towing performance was like at 11000ft!
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote