Must Have Tailgate Clearance - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2021, 04:51 PM   #1

Trailer: none
Must Have Tailgate Clearance

Hi: I am looking for a WDH setup that allows for tailgate clearance. I carry a dog box in the back of my Toyota Tundra and the dogs will need to be aired, etc., requiring use of the tailgate. Am looking at the Fastway e2, or maybe another hitch that would work here? Would an extended shank solve this issue? E-trailer sells a couple that provide for 15" long and 4" drop. I'm getting the lift on the trailer.

chesaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Bigfoot 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesaka View Post
Hi: I am looking for a WDH setup that allows for tailgate clearance. I carry a dog box in the back of my Toyota Tundra and the dogs will need to be aired, etc., requiring use of the tailgate. Am looking at the Fastway e2, or maybe another hitch that would work here? Would an extended shank solve this issue? E-trailer sells a couple that provide for 15" long and 4" drop. I'm getting the lift on the trailer.
An extended shank can impact your maximum tongue weight your truck can safely handle so you might want to look into that issue.

EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 04:25 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21
On my RAM, the only thing that my tailgate hit was the electric tongue Jack. I rotated the motor “top,” which was an easy fix. The E2 is pretty far away on my vehicle though; and the tailgate can’t hit the hitch.

Not sure how low the tailgate is on a Tundra. More than likely, there are people here that own Tundras, and could verify the distance.
Old 12-02-2021, 02:48 AM   #4
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape) 2013-15B "R2-E2" (Rent2Escape2...) 1971 Boler (Sold)
I have a 2015 Tundra CrewMax towing our 2020 21NE.
We have the Fastway E2 hitch purchased with our 21.

I could not open the tailgate while hitched to the trailer when we first got the trailer.

BUT I was able to remedy that problem with thanks to the gals from Adventures in Nomadness.

You should have no difficulty in doing this modification and does not change the performance of the Lippert electric jack.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:40 AM   #5

Trailer: 2021 21NE
To anyone considering the electric tongue jack, we received our trailer in Sept 2021 and the post on our jack does not have the extra holes. Had we known this was the case, we would have opted for the manual jack. We were surprised when we tried to turn the head and discovered there are only 2 holes in the post, not four as described in the Adventures in Nomadness video. So, now we can't open our tailgate without hitting the head of the electric jack. Live and learn.
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:50 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathytony1985 View Post
To anyone considering the electric tongue jack, we received our trailer in Sept 2021 and the post on our jack does not have the extra holes. Had we known this was the case, we would have opted for the manual jack. We were surprised when we tried to turn the head and discovered there are only 2 holes in the post, not four as described in the Adventures in Nomadness video. So, now we can't open our tailgate without hitting the head of the electric jack. Live and learn.
One can drill and tap the necessary hole needed. Make sure you place a a rag or towel down inside the pipe to catch the metal shavings when the drill bit goes thru . Also helps if you put a small magnet inside the towel. Just a thought for you so you get the clearance you need.

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:56 AM   #7

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Thank you for the suggestion. We'll give it a try. :-)
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:59 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathytony1985 View Post
Thank you for the suggestion. We'll give it a try. :-)
Just take your time donít force to the drill bit n use oil to help

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:41 AM   #9
CJW

Trailer: 2021 21C
My husband also used Ronda and Angie's solution - worked like a charm!

CJW is offline   Reply With Quote