New truck for our new trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2020, 02:39 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21 NE
New truck for our new trailer

Hello all

I convinced my husband to put a deposit on an Escape 5 last week

Now we're in the market for a new truck to pull it

Right now we have an older 3/4 ton GMC Sierra club cab. We have a camper on top

Now the dilemma is that our nice new trailer won't be ready till August of 2022, and I'd like to use our camper in the meantime. We did some research and realize that we likely still need a 3/4 ton for the camper. I would like to upgrade our truck for this summer to a crew cab, because somehow we have acquired 2 dogs, plus my son's dog, and a crew cab would mean we could drive without dogs in the front on our laps. They are labs and a german shepherd so we are talking a lot of dog

It seems like overkill to buy a 3/4 ton truck for to pull the Escape 5, but maybe not

Any thoughts on that?

So pleased to find the forum. This is the first new thing we have ever bought for camping. We've had a 1976 motorhome, a 1991 campervan and currently a 1997 Kodiak camper. Looking forward to planning and customizing, but first, that truck...
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Most or many of us towing the 5.0TA are doing so with 1/2 ton trucks. I have an F-150 with 3.5L EcoBoost (6 cylinder) and it might be considered overkill. It will go from 60 mph to 80 mph on the interstate in a heartbeat if I punch it, even going uphill. But I know of people towing with a 3/4 ton pickup. The do tend to ride a bit rougher (more firm) when not towing. So whatever you are comfortable would work. Just be sure the truck bed is not too high for the 5.0.
Old 12-30-2020, 06:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Sounds like you intend to keep your pickup camper and that's why you still need a 3/4 ton truck. Certainly not needed for the 5.0TA. If your pickup camper is fairly old, probably worth considering just hanging onto your old 3/4 ton to use with that and getting a half ton that's less expensive and a more comfortable ride to tow the Escape.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerngirl View Post
Hello all

Now the dilemma is that our nice new trailer won't be ready till August of 2022, and I'd like to use our camper in the meantime. We did some research and realize that we likely still need a 3/4 ton for the camper. I would like to upgrade our truck for this summer to a crew cab, because somehow we have acquired 2 dogs, plus my son's dog, and a crew cab would mean we could drive without dogs in the front on our laps. They are labs and a german shepherd so we are talking a lot of dog

It seems like overkill to buy a 3/4 ton truck for to pull the Escape 5, but maybe not

Any thoughts on that?

So pleased to find the forum. This is the first new thing we have ever bought for camping. We've had a 1976 motorhome, a 1991 campervan and currently a 1997 Kodiak camper. Looking forward to planning and customizing, but first, that truck...
Welcome, fellow Sierra folks! Wife and I pull our 2018 5.0ta with a Sierra dble cab 3litre diesel. Mountains, prairies, anything we travel, the 10 speed tranny loves it. 16 to 18 mpg and never a hint of stress.
Sorry you have to wait so long, but when the wait ends you'll agree the wait was well worth it!

Phil
PM15283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:11 AM   #5

Phil, David and C&G, thank you so much for the replies

Looks like a 1500 is going to be up for the job. We’re looking at a diesel so that ought to help with the towing

Keeping our current truck for the camper in the short term until our Escape 5 is ready as proposed here is probably the best option

Truck short list is Sierra, Ram and Silverado and maybe consider the Ford F 150 even

Thank you for the welcome to the forum!
Old 12-31-2020, 08:29 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Hello all

Any thoughts on that?

Wait until closer to receiving your new Escape to replace your truck.

Any repairs costs to keep your older truck running, will be offset by fuel savings by being able to buy a smaller more fuel efficient truck, once you no longer need such a large one.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:44 AM   #7

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Phil, David and C&G, thank you so much for the replies

Looks like a 1500 is going to be up for the job. We’re looking at a diesel so that ought to help with the towing

Keeping our current truck for the camper in the short term until our Escape 5 is ready as proposed here is probably the best option

Truck short list is Sierra, Ram and Silverado and maybe consider the Ford F 150 even

Thank you for the welcome to the forum!

Hi. We’re picking up our 5.0 late summer-autumn 2021 and just traded in a Honda Ridgeline (perfect for pulling our present 2017 17B) for a new RAM 1500 EcoDiesel. We got it early so I could get a B&W reversible gooseneck ball hitch (nicely-engineered item by the way) installed with a well-recommended local trailer shop.
Great vehicle, talk about over kill for pulling the little 17B now. Doesn’t even feel it!
Jonathan
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:26 AM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Don't rule out the 2021 Diesel GMC Canyon (2.8L Duramax Turbo Diesel engine 369 lb-ft of torque).

2021 CANYON SMALL PICKUP TRUCK
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:27 AM   #9

That RAM 1500 eco diesel is a nice looking truck. Especially the Bighorn

Hopefully we’ll have the discipline to wait till we’re closer to our Escape to buy it. Sierra 2500 will do us till then
Old 12-31-2020, 09:46 AM   #10

TTmartin thank you

Will add that one to our list to view
Old 12-31-2020, 10:38 AM   #11

Trailer: 2020 21' Escape
Quote:
Hello all

Any thoughts on that?

I don't think it's overkill. If money were no object, I'd have a 3/4 ton Ram to pull my 21C. The Ram 1500 works just fine and there have been a few road situations where I was glad to have the full size over a Tacoma size truck.
AndNeitherDoI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 11:08 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
And all of the big 3 now make a 3.0L diesel in a 1/2 ton configuration. Both Dodge and Ford with V6’s and Chevrolet with an inherently smooth inline 6! Haven’t seen too many posts about the new Chevy here, but the smaller Chev/GMC 2.8L diesel seems pretty popular as well.
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 11:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM15283 View Post
Welcome, fellow Sierra folks! Wife and I pull our 2018 5.0ta with a Sierra dble cab 3litre diesel. Mountains, prairies, anything we travel, the 10 speed tranny loves it. 16 to 18 mpg and never a hint of stress.
Sorry you have to wait so long, but when the wait ends you'll agree the wait was well worth it!

Phil
What hitch did you go with in your Sierra?! Being a big diesel fan, I’m seriously looking at ditching my Cummins and going with the new I6 (EVEN in a new production year!) Does it allow you to keep the tailgate down while hitching up?
Old 12-31-2020, 11:31 AM   #14

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
We tow our 5 TA with a much older 1995 Silverado 3/4 t, 4x4, x cab, long box. It is way too much truck. It now has only about 180,000 km, which is about 112,000 miles. The miles aren't much but the age means that stuff fails because of age. Sort of like me.

The next truck will likely be a Chev 1/2 t.
Though I have to go to a Chev/GM lot and measure the box bed, and box side height, of the new ones to see what will work, and what I might have to adjust on the trailer. (pin box or hopefully not the axle position).

Good luck on your chouice.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 11:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
What hitch did you go with in your Sierra?! Being a big diesel fan, I’m seriously looking at ditching my Cummins and going with the new I6 (EVEN in a new production year!) Does it allow you to keep the tailgate down while hitching up?
Both (2014 & 2020) Sierras had B&W under the box and Andersen Ultimate in the box.
Old 12-31-2020, 11:57 AM   #16

Quote:
I have the ProTailgate and lower the top half and use the truckbed camera.
Old 12-31-2020, 12:53 PM   #17

I had to go look up the multi pro tailgate!!! Impressive looking at what they call the “inner gate work surface” that drops the inner 4’ down about 7-9” to enable the 5th wheel to back in over it. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-31-2020, 02:36 PM   #18

I just don't see the diesel advantage for such a light load. It's not necessary like it is for a large 5th wheel or motorhome. The fuel cost here in Texas is .30-.40 cents more per gallon plus the DEF then maintenance is higher. The initial cost of the truck is considerably more also. The gas engines now go strong well over 200,000+ miles if you desire to keep your truck that long. Just my opinion and probably won't change any minds but I think it has to be considered.

Jimmy
uthorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 03:00 PM   #19

I hear that, but us diesel fans is a little tetched in the head!
Old 12-31-2020, 03:09 PM   #20

Quote:
I hear that, but us diesel fans is a little tetched in the head!
I've got my own issues.
uthorns is offline   Reply With Quote