New truck for our new trailer - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2020, 04:03 PM   #21

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PM15283 View Post
I have the ProTailgate and lower the top half and use the truckbed camera.
I love my Ram, but I have to admit that I am jealous of the GMC tailgate, that is just really handy for hitching up a fifth wheel!
Old 12-31-2020, 04:55 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
I hear that, but us diesel fans is a little tetched in the head!
Hi: Tford... Tetch, tetch, tetch!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040872.jpg   P1040902.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 06:32 PM   #23

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21 NE
Turning and trailer obstruction

Can someone chime in whether the fifth wheel will contact the truck cab going forward with the steering wheel locked either way with a 6.5 ft. box?
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 02:03 AM   #24

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerngirl View Post
Can someone chime in whether the fifth wheel will contact the truck cab going forward with the steering wheel locked either way with a 6.5 ft. box?
I can say it does not hit with an F150 6.5' bed when turning as tight as the steering wheel lets me.

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum.
akmacs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Hi: Northerngirl... If our rig is level they will pass, but if the trailer is on higher ground or the nose of the truck is pointing uphill the distance between is reduced enough to cause them to touch... but then we only have a 5' 7" inch box and the crew cab. Alf
Old 01-01-2021, 07:04 AM   #26

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I have the 5.7L V8, 4x4 Toyota Tundra. It is a 'heavy half ton'. The specs say it is is little light in payload weight, but it's not. I can stay within the towing limits even on long trips.

The Tundra owns the 5.0 and the combination is more than delightful. I have the short box and crew cab limited. I cannot turn a 90° turn without hitting the back of the cab. I did once! Ouch! This is exactly the right answer for me. I get about 14 mph in pure comfort. The 5.7 L never has any issue with power or control.

I highly recommend this setup. Welcome to the club.

We call our TV, "Tundra Moodra" and our 5.0, "Zen".
Attached Thumbnails
Tundra Moodra and Zen.jpg  
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:57 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Tford... Tetch, tetch, tetch!!! Alf
Loving the wood and leather!
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:14 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
Loving the wood and leather!
Hi: Tford... I was surprised to find that the wood grain panels in the cab are real. Now where did that can of "Pledge" go? Alf
Attached Thumbnails
P1040899.jpg  
Old 01-01-2021, 11:38 AM   #29

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Please note that the actual realized distance from the cab to the 'effective hitch pivot-point' (and therefore the resultant clearances) will vary depending on the specific truck (make, model, and year), the specific hitch mounting system (e.g. the underbed ball or rails mount, brand and part number), and the specific hitch itself (e.g. Demco, Andersen, etc).

The effective fore-to-aft location of pivot-point may be different by only a scant few inches depending on the specifics of each component, but as you're doubtless noting a scant few inches can be critical.

IMO the only way to meaningfully learn from, and apply, other folks' experience is to ensure that they provide specific info about each and every one of those three main components in their total hitch installation - that to ensure an 'apples-to-apples' comparison to your own specific application / situation / plan.

IME this is all true with regard to both horizontal and vertical clearances of interest.

Just for your consideration.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:57 PM   #30

Thank you all about the truck info and also the question my husband posted about the 90 degree turn

We are swinging wildly between the RAM Long Horn 1500, 6.5 foot box which is a drop dead gorgeous truck, but $$, and a more bigger, more basic Sierra. Obviously an 8 foot box on a 2500 would allow us to travel in style with a half cord of firewood, Cabella table, etc in the box. But we might get some weird looks on some of the smaller BC ferries
Old 01-01-2021, 04:24 PM   #31

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by akmacs View Post
I can say it does not hit with an F150 6.5' bed when turning as tight as the steering wheel lets me.
I'll just note that moving in forward and in reverse are very different situations.

With any type or location of hitch, the sharpest angle of steering limits how tight a circle the tow vehicle will drive in, and that plus the length of the trailer determines how much angle there will be between the tow vehicle and the trailer when moving forward. In many (most?) cases, that is not tight enough for anything to hit, whether it is a conventional ("bumper" hitched) trailer or one hitched over the truck bed (such as an Escape 5.0/5.0TA).

Reverse is another matter entirely. If the driver lets it, the trailer will jackknife until it eventually hits the tow vehicle with any type of hitch, installed in any location.

I think if you can turn as tight as the steering will allow when going forward (as discussed above), and still have a bit more clearance (to allow for minor errors when backing up, and to allow for changes resulting from which trailer tires are winning the scrubbing battle with tandem axles), you're in good shape. And, of course, you have to realize how tight that is, so you don't find out by crunching something... especially important with the 5.0, since it is fiberglass which crunches into truck cab, rather than more durable trailer tongue structure hitting repairable/replaceable bumper.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:00 PM   #32

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Hello all

I convinced my husband to put a deposit on an Escape 5 last week

Now we're in the market for a new truck to pull it

Right now we have an older 3/4 ton GMC Sierra club cab. We have a camper on top

Now the dilemma is that our nice new trailer won't be ready till August of 2022, and I'd like to use our camper in the meantime. We did some research and realize that we likely still need a 3/4 ton for the camper. I would like to upgrade our truck for this summer to a crew cab, because somehow we have acquired 2 dogs, plus my son's dog, and a crew cab would mean we could drive without dogs in the front on our laps. They are labs and a german shepherd so we are talking a lot of dog

It seems like overkill to buy a 3/4 ton truck for to pull the Escape 5, but maybe not

Any thoughts on that?

So pleased to find the forum. This is the first new thing we have ever bought for camping. We've had a 1976 motorhome, a 1991 campervan and currently a 1997 Kodiak camper. Looking forward to planning and customizing, but first, that truck...
Here is what Escape Trailer chose as their Tow Vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
17DE76D2-1281-48E0-8A0D-56557E26B513.jpg  
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:18 AM   #33

Trailer: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Don't rule out the 2021 Diesel GMC Canyon (2.8L Duramax Turbo Diesel engine 369 lb-ft of torque).

2021 CANYON SMALL PICKUP TRUCK
Here are two reasons NOT to consider the GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax Diesel engined truck (or the Chevy equivalent):
1) the 2.8L Duramax Diesel will become an orphan after the 2021 model year as it will no longer be available in North America. GMC sold the asian plant where the 2.8L is manufactured.
2) two labs and one shepherd in a GMC Canyon or Chevy Colorado?? Really? I have a 2020 Chevy Colorado and one 75 pound female shepherd and she absolutely hates the Chevy but finds my 2019 Ford F150 crewcab just right!
Tigger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:35 AM   #34

Tigger1 thank you! Good advice about the new diesel trucks coming out

Lol about the dogs. We are scoping out a new Dodge Ram 3 litre diesel

The mileage is great and the back seat is huge in the crew cab version

We likely will have to forgo the nice bucket seats in the front in lieu of the bench to accommodate those who refuse to be relegated to the rear
Old 01-06-2021, 11:54 AM   #35

Trailer: None
Quote:
Tigger1 thank you! Good advice about the new diesel trucks coming out

The mileage is great and the back seat is huge in the crew cab version

We likely will have to forgo the nice bucket seats in the front in lieu of the bench to accommodate those who refuse to be relegated to the rear
Three dogs are like three kids, there is always one that does not want to sit in the middle! So, your plan to have a front bench seat would seem to be a good compromise as we know which dog (the one sitting up front) will be getting the extra ear scratch or back rub! Enyoy your new tow vehicle.
Tigger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:06 PM   #36

Trailer: No yet purchased
I have a RAM 2500. In recent years the trucks keep getting taller. They are so tall we were not able to purchase the 5.0. We picked a 21NE as an alternative which we love. Escape can quickly tell you the size restrictions.
Forest Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:39 PM   #37

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
Here are two reasons NOT to consider the GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax Diesel engined truck (or the Chevy equivalent):
1) the 2.8L Duramax Diesel will become an orphan after the 2021 model year as it will no longer be available in North America. GMC sold the asian plant where the 2.8L is manufactured.
2) two labs and one shepherd in a GMC Canyon or Chevy Colorado?? Really? I have a 2020 Chevy Colorado and one 75 pound female shepherd and she absolutely hates the Chevy but finds my 2019 Ford F150 crewcab just right!
I'm pretty sure GMC is continuing to make the diesel Colorado at least through 2022. There was a rumor that production would stop in 2021 (for the reason you mentioned), but it appears that was just a rumor. If a person is considering purchasing one, I suggest reading up online. I like mine well enough I would absolutely buy another if/when the one I have needs to be replaced, assuming they're still made. It's simply a wonderful tow vehicle. I bought mine for towing our 19 but love it enough I've made it my daily driver and sold my Subaru Forester.

As for 2 labs and a shepherd in a Chevy Colorado, I'm able to fit 4 Brittanys in the backseat of mine. Yep they're smaller and it's a bit tight, but they do fit!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:54 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
I love my Chevy Colorado ZR2 diesel, but I have to agree that that is too much dog for the truck. My 60 lb Husky takes up 2/3 of the back seat. More if he stretches out. When our Cattle dog was still with us he would sleep with his head on top of her as a pillow. I'm sure you could fit 3 big dogs back there but they won't be happy.

I like the bench seat idea and would definitely do that in a full-size truck.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:09 PM   #39

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Tigger1

The seats are actually the same in both front versions, so you will not miss out on the nice bucket seats. The bench seat version is not really a bench - it's the same bucket seats and instead of the big console between them there is a small seat section. When the seat back in the center is folded down it makes a nice big armrest and has cupholders and a large storage area, plus there is another pullout storage drawer on the lower part of the dash in the center. I originally wanted the "bucket seats" and console when we were picking out our 2019 Ram but when I saw the "bench seats" version I liked that much better.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:17 PM   #40
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Something that may be important to you (it is to me) does both the bench seat version AND the bucket seat version offer personalized lumbar support? I have a bad back and the ability to dial in my personalized lumbar support is heavenly. I've found bench seats typically lacking...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote