New truck for our new trailer - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2021, 10:18 AM   #61

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21 NE
Escape artist thank you

Sounds like this could work then

the price is $40,000 less with low KM
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:28 AM   #62

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
We found a 2018 Dodge Ram diesel. Surprisingly, the towing capacity for a crew cab, standard box diesel is only 7610 pounds and payload is 1260

This seems to be pushing it am I correct on that?
I don't think it is realistic that you can tow an Escape 5.0 and not exceed a 1260 pound cargo capacity. I think pin and hitch alone is really likely to reach 850 pounds. That leaves 400, which is basically two people. You won't have any room for stuff or pets or other people in the truck.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:34 AM   #63

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerngirl View Post
Escape artist thank you

Sounds like this could work then

the price is $40,000 less with low KM
Hi: Northerngirl... I was on my way to look at a new GMC 2.8L diesel truck somewhere north of 50K when I found the ecodiesel at 40K w/ 35,000 miles on it. Seemed to be there just for ME!!! All the slsman needed to do was open the door and it was LAFS. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040902.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:35 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I don't think the current A 428 DOHC has much similarity to that old 425 OHV, either, whether it is built in Thailand for GM (and given a "Duramax" label and "LWN" code) or Europe for Stallantis (formerly FCA).
The really old 2.5 OHV engine predates my experience with VM. That had four individual cast iron heads sitting on top of wet liners. It also had a tunnel crank and PLN type injection system. You could really see the industrial / farm origins of the engine.

I worked with an engine that had the same CI block and tunnel crank. But the CI heads were changed to a single aluminum head with DOHC and common rail FIS. That head and valvetrain looks a lot like the current GM 2.8L version of of the engine.

Externally, even the block looks unchanged. But a closer look shows they changed everything. The tunnel crank is gone (thank goodness) as are the wet liners (which also were way out of place on an automotive engine).

Back in the early 2000's, we had a few engineers that had worked on the VM engine who went to GM to work on diesel. I wonder if some of them had a hand in the redesign.

I had some nice times visiting VM in Cento Italy. It's a quiet little town about 30km north of Bologna. That was a long time ago, still remember good times there.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:43 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
I don't think it is realistic that you can tow an Escape 5.0 and not exceed a 1260 pound cargo capacity. I think pin and hitch alone is really likely to reach 850 pounds. That leaves 400, which is basically two people. You won't have any room for stuff or pets or other people in the truck.
Hi: JefferyG... It's for real. Here's a pic of our former truck that I traded in on the Ram. It had over 100,000 miles on it and towed both our 5.0 and 5.0TA's from new. Alf
Attached Thumbnails
P1040198.jpg  
Old 03-01-2021, 10:47 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: JefferyG... It's for real. Here's a pic of our former truck that I traded in on the Ram. It had over 100,000 miles on it and towed both our 5.0 and 5.0TA's from new. Alf

Are you saying you were able to tow an Escape 5.0 without violating the <1000 pound cargo rating of your vehicle?

Or are you saying you violated the cargo limit, and it seemed fine to you?

My only point is that the 1260 pound cargo limit that the OP is looking at is a very low number for someone contemplating an Escape 5.0. If you are planning to violate the cargo limit, then I guess that doesn't matter.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:07 AM   #67

Quote:
Are you saying you were able to tow an Escape 5.0 without violating the <1000 pound cargo rating of your vehicle?

Or are you saying you violated the cargo limit, and it seemed fine to you?

My only point is that the 1260 pound cargo limit that the OP is looking at is a very low number for someone contemplating an Escape 5.0. If you are planning to violate the cargo limit, then I guess that doesn't matter.
Hi: JeffreyG... I don't knowingly violate the cargo limit but I don't mind tugging on the edge. If my wife has to stay home so be it!!!
I believe the Ram's limit is due to using coil springs rather than leaf springs, but the ride is so much nicer!!! Alf
Attached Thumbnails
P1050114.jpg  
Old 03-01-2021, 11:21 AM   #68

Quote:
Hi: JeffreyG... I don't knowingly violate the cargo limit but I don't mind tugging on the edge. If my wife has to stay home so be it!!!
I believe the Ram's limit is due to using coil springs rather than leaf springs, but the ride is so much nicer!!! Alf
I guess I have no idea what that means. The cargo limit is a number. You can be over it, or you can be under it.

For the OP, I'd check the existing list of what real world trailers weigh. You can find it searching around here. You should do an assessment of how much weight you really will be putting in the truck (people, accessories, gear, pets, hitch, and pin weight) to see if you are likely to be over or not. IMO 1260 pounds is a low number for an Escape 5.0 for anyone with kids, pets, or 'gear' they like to bring such as boats or bikes.

A couple with no gear or pets can probably make 1260 work.

I personally never advise people to exceed GVWR, GCVWR, tow rating, or (especially) any GAWR.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:43 AM   #69

Quote:
I guess I have no idea what that means. The cargo limit is a number. You can be over it, or you can be under it.

For the OP, I'd check the existing list of what real world trailers weigh. You can find it searching around here. You should do an assessment of how much weight you really will be putting in the truck (people, accessories, gear, pets, hitch, and pin weight) to see if you are likely to be over or not. IMO 1260 pounds is a low number for an Escape 5.0 for anyone with kids, pets, or 'gear' they like to bring such as boats or bikes.

A couple with no gear or pets can probably make 1260 work.

I personally never advise people to exceed GVWR, GCVWR, tow rating, or (especially) any GAWR.
Hi: JeffryG... My age is just a number and I don't pay any attention to it either!!! Alf
Old 03-01-2021, 12:49 PM   #70

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
I've been on both sides of the payload issue. My 1998 Ram 5.9 pulled a 24 foot fifth wheel for 15 years. Back then I didn't even know what payload capacity was and there was not a sticker on the door frame like they have now, I was totally focused on towing capacity and stayed within that. Knowing what I know now I'm sure I was either pushing or violating the payload capacity of that truck, the trailer had a higher tongue weight than our 5.0 and I had a heavy hitch and loaded a lot of stuff in the cab and bed of the truck. Although the back end did squat a little, in 15 years I never had any issues with that. What I did have issues with was the relatively low power of that truck compared to today's 1/2 ton trucks, there were times when I'd be down to 15 mph in low gear by the time I got to the top of a high mountain pass. The 1998 V8 had 265 hp compared to 395 hp for the 2019.

When we ordered our 5.0 and needed a new truck I custom ordered a 2019 Ram 5.7 hemi. I had researched payload capacity and wanted to have plenty of margin there as well as tow capacity. Tow capacity was no problem, but I found that all the options they load trucks up with now can really add weight and cut into the payload rating. I ordered a relatively basic truck, which to us still seems pretty darn nice, but with a minimum of options I have a payload of 1,804 pounds. That's probably overkill for the 5.0, but it means I can toss anything in the truck that I want to bring along and not have to worry about the weight. The back end only drops an inch or so when I hitch up. A side benefit of avoiding many of the expensive options is a more affordable truck - I got my 2019 custom ordered for a negotiated price of $32K, pretty cheap by today's standards for a new truck. And by custom ordering I also got options that are hard to find on trucks on the dealer lot like factory tow mirrors and the larger capacity gas tank.

I always try to stay well within all vehicle rated capacities. I think towing capacity ratings are the most important and would never knowingly violate them. Now that I understand payload capacity I stay well within that too. But the relative light weight of the 5.0 puts it well below the tow capacity for most half ton trucks, and having seen many owners report years of trouble free towing using trucks with fairly low payload ratings I think that it is possible to cut it close on payload capacity without experiencing serious performance or safety issues. And, as Alf mentioned, if the numbers just don't work out you can always leave your wife at home I got plenty of payload capacity so I won't ever have to do that...
Attached Thumbnails
1999.jpg   2019.jpg  
Old 03-01-2021, 02:08 PM   #71

Thanks so much everyone

The payload is 1290 pounds and towing capacity is 9200 pounds according to the door sticker

We just bought it. We'll have to be careful that we don't put heavy stuff in the back, probably just a tarp and a couple of lawn chairs
Old 03-01-2021, 03:44 PM   #72

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Just remember the Ram trucks do not carry a full sized spare tire, so for towing you will need to purchase and carry one in your truck bed. What a disappointment for that model.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:32 PM   #73

Actually this one has a full size spare mounted underneath. I was surprised
Old 03-01-2021, 04:53 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerngirl View Post
Actually this one has a full size spare mounted underneath. I was surprised
Hi: Northerngirl... Mine too...on a steel wheel though. Must be a northern thing!!! Alf
Old 03-01-2021, 05:34 PM   #75

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I believe the Ram's limit is due to using coil springs rather than leaf springs, but the ride is so much nicer!!!)
This truck has coil springs.

So does the HMMWV (Hummer H1), but that's just a little thing in comparison.

The axle weight rating of the Ram pickup with coil springs is not limited because the springs are coils. Yes, ride was chosen as a higher priority than load capacity, so the springs are soft; if you want both, you are supposed to buy the optional air suspension, or move up to the Ram 2500 (also with coil springs) with higher axle capacities and payload.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 06:31 PM   #76

My Ram has the steel spare wheel but the tire is a temporary and unsuitable for towing. I purchased a new stock wheel and installed the proper tire and carry it in my bed. You may want to inspect your spare thoroughly to insure it can handle towing.....mine did not. Also the wheel itself could be an issue. without 5 matching wheels and tires, you may be in a bind.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:32 PM   #77

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Alf
I’d lose weight to ride with you on a road trip. I have nothing but respect for professional drivers with years of experience.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-01-2021, 06:34 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Alf
I’d lose weight to ride with you on a road trip. I have nothing but respect for professional drivers with years of experience.
Iowa Dave
Except Alf wants to stop to pick and discharge.........
Old 03-01-2021, 06:42 PM   #79

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Him
I’m not 25 anymore either Jim and like a coyote I’ve always got a little in the tank in case I need to mark my route and territory. About 150 miles is my limit so I never worry about a small fuel tank. Empty one and fill the other. Get a pop or a water and a bag of peanuts and like Willy, I’m on the road again.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-01-2021, 09:31 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Except Alf wants to stop to pick and discharge.........
Hi: cpaharley2008... Did that for a lot of years. Still feel like it at times!!! Alf
Attached Thumbnails
P1010582.jpg