New truck for our new trailer - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2021, 11:26 AM   #101

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerngirl View Post
I think we've settled on the 21 C, but we need to see one first to make sure there's enough room for the dogs and I on the bed

Otherwise we'll go with the NE so we can all sleep together

My 30 lb Whippet is already a PITA on the queen bed at home. But she's really entitled and despite her low weight can really hog up space since she is quite long and tall. (very skinny).

The Greyhound simply has to sleep with my daughter. There's no fitting that hog on the bed with my wife and I.
Attached Thumbnails
unnamed.jpg  
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:33 AM   #102

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21 NE
Jeffrey lol

It could be the NE is better with the dogs as at the least the bed is a queen

Maybe I'm dreaming if I think the labs are going to sleep on the dinette bed

At home on the king they take up at least a third of the bed. If I don't protect my space, they take 1/2
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:10 PM   #103

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Another advantage of cats...
Attached Thumbnails
Table 07.jpg  
Old 03-04-2021, 12:51 PM   #104

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Salmo7000 thank you for this

That hard canopy sounds like a great idea. That would be ideal for us to carry our kayak and paddle boards. I wonder if the dogs would like riding in there

We have never looked at the 19. Hopefully we will get a chance to see them all in a couple of months when we drive down there

LOL on the Ford experience. Silly him
Yep!!

As for the dogs in the back of the truck, as long as the temperature is good, I think they actually prefer it. They are able to stretch out and walk around, which they really can't do when riding in the cab. Especially with all 4 crowded on the seat.

When camped, I line up 4 collapsible, soft-sided dog crates on the dinette bed, and that's where they sleep. If you get a 21NE, you'll have a ton of room on that dinette bed, enough for 3 big dogs for sure.

Now all you need to do is convince them that's a better spot for them than your bed!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:44 PM   #105

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Just be careful with the dogs in the rear and the truck sitting and idling, keep the window open if you have one between the cap and vehicle....
Old 03-04-2021, 03:57 PM   #106

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Just be careful with the dogs in the rear and the truck sitting and idling, keep the window open if you have one between the cap and vehicle....

Dog-walker here killed several dogs one afternoon, leaving them in the back of the truck.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:39 PM   #107

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So sorry to read this, a little common sense could have prevented that,,,,,
Old 03-04-2021, 05:42 PM   #108

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA in about a year. Lol
It's all steel box and the payload of 1650#...
1200bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:19 PM   #109

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
We have had our 2019 Ram Laramie 1500 for almost 2 years. Can't think of any problems, except we had something hit the windshield and had to replace it. And yesterday my iPod quit working which I have read is common. I love this truck, best one I have ever owned. I hope you like yours as much as I do.

Quote:
Hi Bill

We bought the Ram ultimately. We initially were buying a chev diesel brand new but it was $83k Can as opposed to $43k for the 2018 Ram

We bought a 4 year extended warranty for it. After reading your post I’m glad we did

If it proves unreliable we”ll get rid of it and start over

Now to decide if we really want the 5 or would be better with a 21

May can be cool in the Yukon for sure. I’m glad you found someplace with power
Glenn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:09 AM   #110

Well we sure have been enjoying our new to us truck, while waiting for our Escape that we pick up in April

We’ve been going back and forth a bit on whether we want a 5, or a 21. My husband prefers the 5

Anyhow to help us with the decision he went to the weigh scales yesterday and got a nasty surprise

Corrected for his weight and a bit of stuff in the Ram boxes, it weighed 6130 pounds. Our GVWR is 6950. Before we bought the truck we looked at the dodge website and viewed documents that indicated the payload is 1270 pounds for a 2018 Ram 4x4 diesel crew cab

Something is way off. Not sure what, but obviously with two dogs and two humans it doesn’t even look like we can get a bumper pull with these numbers when you consider hitch weight etc

I’ve never heard of a payload this low which looks like 830 pounds the way the truck is optioned out

It goes to show it pays to look at the numbers carefully. Our truck didn’t have a payload sticker so I suppose it would have been prudent to have it weighed before we bought it. 20/20 hindsight
Old 10-06-2021, 10:38 AM   #111

Quote:
Corrected for his weight and a bit of stuff in the Ram boxes, it weighed 6130 pounds. Our GVWR is 6950. Before we bought the truck we looked at the dodge website and viewed documents that indicated the payload is 1270 pounds for a 2018 Ram 4x4 diesel crew cab

Something is way off. Not sure what, but obviously with two dogs and two humans it doesn’t even look like we can get a bumper pull with these numbers when you consider hitch weight etc

I’ve never heard of a payload this low which looks like 830 pounds the way the truck is optioned out

Wow, my mid-size Colorado can carry 560 lbs more than your full-size Ram.

Here's a question, what does the door sticker on the truck say the cargo weight is? (On edit, I notice you say it doesn't have a sticker. That's really weird. Did somebody peel the sticker off because the payload is so low? I'm not usually so suspicious but that's really weird.) If you can find a sticker, I'd be interested if that matches what you weighed (it should). Maybe there's a way to look up what the sticker said via the VIN.

I weighed my Colorado and the true weight of the truck was withing spitting distance of the sticker curb weight.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:54 AM   #112

Here ya go! Should be able to look up the official cargo capacity here with your VIN.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing/towing-guide.html
Old 10-06-2021, 11:14 AM   #113

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
I’m pretty sure one of our well-known members “Alf”, or Escape Artist, has reported a similarly low payload for his Ram Ecodiesel. He tows a 5.0TA with it anyway and seems to do just fine. Perhaps he’ll chime in here shortly!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:47 AM   #114

Hey I found it

Yes it does actually say 850 pounds. Hard to believe
Old 10-06-2021, 11:48 AM   #115

JeffreyG I put the VIN in but it doesn't work, perhaps because we're in Canada

But we found the sticker
Old 10-06-2021, 11:49 AM   #116

Quote:
Hey I found it

Yes it does actually say 850 pounds. Hard to believe

Either Stellantis forgot what a truck is for, or those of us that use a truck to carry stuff are out of touch.

My Honda Odyssey can carry more.

Maybe you should get a new Ford Maverick. I bet it has more capacity.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:57 AM   #117

It seems crazy. Either we can carry passengers and gear, 'barely' or tow a tiny trailer with nobody onboard

I feel bad for my husband. This was my mistake
Old 10-06-2021, 12:08 PM   #118

Quote:
It seems crazy. Either we can carry passengers and gear, 'barely' or tow a tiny trailer with nobody onboard

I feel bad for my husband. This was my mistake

Yeah, this whole thing is a real bummer. Given expectations, I just don't think it's reasonable for a full size truck to have a cargo rating below about 1400 lbs. Maybe 1200.

Unfortunately you have some not-so-great options to deal with this. Basically you can either sell the truck and get something else, or tow with a rig that's going to be overweight.

Realistically, that truck, two adults, three dogs, is going to be at the limit with an Escape 17. It's wild. Stellantis should be ashamed at doing that.
Old 10-06-2021, 12:13 PM   #119

Trailer: 2022 Lynne's Escape19 TV GMC 1500 4x4 Diesel/
Unhappy Attempting to order a new truck

I wanted to wait until the 2022 model year the order a new GMC Canyon four-wheel-drive diesel. The buying services Cosco or auto club the dealers of stopped working with them. Called the first dealer $4000 add-on to list in a 3000+ deposit. Second dealer a $1500 add-on for security and a special paint cover and $3000 deposit. Next wanted $5000 over list, And $4000 deposit. The next one would sell for list with no add-on, so I went down with my build sheet they asked if I would pay a $2000 deposit, not a problem. Went to the inventory manager to place the order she had difficulty wouldn't come up. She contacted GM's district manager he directed her to someplace Detroit? Turns out the canyon with the diesel is unavailable because all of the motors have been given to the full-size pickups excluding the V6 gas. She turns out to be a tent camper I had her go to the escape site kid in a candy store, she's going to be checking every 15 days to see if there's still on hold or she can order the engine. I have a delivery date for August of next year for my E – 19, I just don't want to spend the additional $10-$15,000 on a full-size truck if I can get away with not doing it. Supply chain tango
Craiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:14 PM   #120

JeffreyG, who is Stellantis? lol

We are going to get rid of it. It simply won't work

Fraser if it were up to him would keep it and remove the tailgate, spare tire, rear seats etc

But, we're compromising as it is with the 21, as opposed to the 5 like he wanted, because we justified that we could at least use the nice Ram boxes and truck box with the tonneau to carry lots of extra gear like a screen room for 'glamping'

We can easily sell the 1500. It's going to be painful to part with the cash for an equivalent 2500