Tow Vehicle for Escape 19 and Escape 17 - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2021, 03:30 PM   #161

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Don't know about either of those vehicles for towing, but our Dodge Durango V6 has a 6200 lb tow rating with the tow package, and pulls our 2020 19' well. It has three row seating.
Hi, thank you for your post! I will look into that one too. It wasn't on my radar.
harvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:53 AM   #162

Trailer: Escape 19
Now that I have used my Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo to tow my new Escape 19, here what I experienced. First, I live almost as far east as possible in NC, so a speed bump counts as a hill around here. A bridge over the waterway is a mountain road.

I have a friend with an ag business. To weigh his deliveries he installed a truck scale. In an act of true friendship he offered to weigh my rig. It turns out the employee he assigned the task is also an RVer. He loves my new toy! My Escape 19, not quite fully loaded (but close) weighed 3900 pounds. The tongue weight (without my WDH) was 440 pounds. I have an e2 hitch that weighs about 75 pounds. If that 75 pounds is also part of the tongue weight, I am over the limit. I can shift weight around (which I have done), but this is getting very close to overloading the Jeep. The e2 levels the trailer and Jeep nicely, so I think we are currently within the tolerance. But barely.

We have taken two trips in the 19. One to a relatively close campground on the coast. We had no towing issues, but everything between home and campground is flat. We just returned from Jordan Lake, which is just west of Raleigh. The roads there are just beginning to have rolling hills, but no long or steep grades. From a standing start and any uphill incline, the Jeep was struggling just a bit getting up to speed. No other issues. The 19 was a big attraction in both campgrounds. The trailer brakes are working with the aftermarket controller.

We are planning some trips where we will definitely be in mountains. Western NC this Spring and the Great Lakes this summer.

Feedback welcomed.
Doug in NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape 17, escape 19, tow vehicle