towing a 19 with the Tacoma 3.5L V6 Engine - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2022, 06:21 PM   #41

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
how about f150 gears . 3.55 vs 3.73 . I know nothing about this my sales man say either would work. I see most of the trucks on the lot are 3.55 But the one i interested in happens to be 3.73 . witch would be better MPG and witch would be better towing?
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 06:32 PM   #42

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
how about f150 gears . 3.55 vs 3.73 . I know nothing about this my sales man say either would work. I see most of the trucks on the lot are 3.55 But the one i interested in happens to be 3.73 . witch would be better MPG and witch would be better towing?
Better mileage from 3.55, better towing of heavy loads with 3.73. Probably a wash with an escape trailer, as they aren’t very heavy. But with 3.73 gears and an escape, you’ll be at the top of the mountain pass first.

I have 3.42 gears, and it climbs and accelerates fine. With the trailer in tow, it spends more time in 5th gear than 6th, as the top gear is a little tall.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 07:55 PM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Won't be a noticeable difference. I ha e the 3.73 and the electronic Limited Slip Differential on Expy & Transit.
Old 05-01-2022, 09:09 AM   #44

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Honestly, it's kind of bizarre that when car companies offer different rear axle ratios (RAR) they just give you that number with no better context to evaluate what you want. Keep in mind that these days with 8,9,10 speed auto transmissions, they all have different top gear ratios. And as has always been the case, not every vehicle uses the same diameter tires, which directly sets the wheel revolutions per mile.

At the minimum, car companies should list the overall drive ratio in top gear instead of RAR. And what you really want to know (and can calculate for yourself) is the engine rpm that you will see at a few highway speeds.....like 60 mph, 65 mph, 70 mph.....
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 09:48 AM   #45

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
We pull a 19 with a 2017 Tacoma with the 3.5 and a manual transmission. We live in SW Montana so we have plenty of mountain towing. We slow down on the hills, but are happy with it. Before the Tacoma, we pulled with a 2013 4.0 4Runner. Can't tell much difference. The Tacoma is rated 1000 more pounds towing capacity. The 3.5 and 4.0 are about the same in horsepower and torque, the Tacoma has slower geared differentials.
mtfarrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 12:33 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtfarrand View Post
We pull a 19 with a 2017 Tacoma with the 3.5 and a manual transmission. We live in SW Montana so we have plenty of mountain towing. We slow down on the hills, but are happy with it. Before the Tacoma, we pulled with a 2013 4.0 4Runner. Can't tell much difference. The Tacoma is rated 1000 more pounds towing capacity. The 3.5 and 4.0 are about the same in horsepower and torque, the Tacoma has slower geared differentials.

I heard good things about the manual. It seems most the complaints about the 3.5 is paired with the 6 speed auto. I guess i getting lazy in my old age,But i want the auto .
Old 05-01-2022, 12:53 PM   #47

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
I'm in the market for a truck to tow my 21NE. I currently use my son's 2017 F150 with the 2.7EB. It is an excellent match for my trailer, but every time I go over a scale, I am within a 100# or so of its 6600# GVWR (1760 payload). I usually have my 2 granddaughters, toys, firewood, etc. I will keep using my son't truck when taking his girls with us, but I want my own truck for when it's just Mary and me.

I own a 2011 Ranger that I used for towing a tent trailer before getting our Escape, and before that drove a 1978 F150 for 30 years. Present day 1/2 tons are huge in comparison, and I don't really want one for me. I am looking at mid-size trucks, and have found that Tacos have too low of a payload and are at the low end of power spectrum. Rangers have plenty of payload and power, but I am concerned they may spend a lot of time in the higher end of their RPM range to get that power in the mountains, and it can't be had with a factory brake controller, and have no factory OR aftermarket tow mirror options other than strap-ons.

The 2.8L diesel Colorados look like the sweet spot for me, but around here they are hard to come by (at a reasonable price), especially in a straight 4wd LT package. Most are Z71s, which have a 100# payload penalty because of their skidplates and other off-road additions which I don't need. That 100# of payload is important because although I won't have the granddaughters with me when using it, I still have toys of my own and firewood and etc. that will push me up against the 1430# payload ratings I've seen on the 4wd Colorado LTs.

Right now, my plan is to wait and see what the new updated 2023 Colorado offers as far as payload and towing specific options. I know the 2023s won't have a diesel, but the 2.7L twin turbo looks to be a good option as it develops max torque at 1500rpm and 75% more hp than the 2.8L diesel. (I'm also hoping that the single engine platform will be less expensive than the diesel option on the present Colorado.) I can wait until fall to make my decision. If I decide I have to search for used diesel 4wd Colorado LT, wish me luck.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 01:07 PM   #48

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
The new Colorado or Ranger should work for you. I have a ‘21 Ranger with the Ford variant of the Redarc brake controller and the new Clearview towing mirrors. It works great with my 4600lbs E19 every where I go.
brroberts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 06:12 PM   #49

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Toyota 4Runner?

Would a new Toyota 4Runner be a viable option for an Escape tow vehicle? It has the 4L engine that I like so much in my Tacoma, but its towing capacity is only 5000 lbs vs. 6500 pounds for my Taco.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 09:10 PM   #50
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
[QUOTE=Vermilye;418737]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGLP View Post
I don't know if it is any better now, but in 2018 I could not get power folding tow mirrors on the XLT trim.
I don't mind the manual towing mirrors on my F250. I extend them when I'm doing my walkaround final check if I haven't already. I did upgrade from the 1st gen superduty mirrors that came on my 2002 with the 2008 style 2nd gen mirrors which are larger, and have a much more useful wide angle thing.

original mirror on the left, new one on the right.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 11:27 PM   #51

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
I tow my new 5.0 with an F150 3.5 ecoboost also. I bought the truck used during covid when no one was buying.. 2016 Lariat model. I got it July of 2020 with 26,000 miles on it. It came from Canada and had the industry bedrails already installed.. I just picked up my new 5.0 a month ago. It tows it like its not even behind it... I do worry about the cam Phasor issue though..

43,000 miles on it now.. no warrantee
Old 05-02-2022, 12:19 AM   #52
Site Team

yeah, vehicle prices didn't go nuts until 2021. they went from very slow/few sales to having no available vehicles

I bet I could sell my 2002 F250 longbed diesel 4x4 for significantly more than I paid for it even tho I've put another 30-40K miles on it.
Old 05-02-2022, 01:30 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Would a new Toyota 4Runner be a viable option for an Escape tow vehicle? It has the 4L engine that I like so much in my Tacoma, but its towing capacity is only 5000 lbs vs. 6500 pounds for my Taco.

I might look into that there. I will have to check the payload on those .
Old 05-02-2022, 02:05 PM   #54
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
you sure thats the same 1GR-FE 4.0 that Tacoma was using in the gen2 cars, I think 2005-2015 ? Huh, it is the same 1GR-FE

whoa, the 4Runner hasn't had a major upgrade since 2010? thats a *long* run even for Toyota. I'd definitely avoid the 20" wheels on the fancier versions ("Sport", "Limited", and as I like to explore dirt roads and such, would strongly consider the TRD Off Road version.

a 4runner used for towing will likely benefit from an airbag upgrade as they are sprung pretty softly.

But, is a TERRIBLE time to be buying cars, new or used. The availability is terrible, the demand is really high, so dealers are getting away with really fat premiums.

btw, to save a trip to the dealer, here's the 'catalog' that shows all the packages and options on 2022 4Runners. https://www.auto-brochures.com/makes...unner_2022.pdf

that site, https://www.auto-brochures.com/index.html has nearly every manufacturer's brochures for nearly every model going back 15-20 years, very handy when you are researching late model used cars.
Old 05-02-2022, 02:14 PM   #55

I getting a little frustrated with my ford f150 research. looks like the 2022 have had another price increase. If i order the same truck as on the lot its about 2,200 more.plus 445 for the 36 gallon tank. witch i like to have. I think i could pull the 19 without tow mirrors.(maybe someone can confirm) I also getting a little frustrated with there tow ratting . I was surprised to find out the 2022 2.7 eco xl f150 4x4 with tow package 53B Hitch wiring $315. added the brake controller for $275. This limits you towing to 6,000. To get the 7600 from the tow guide you need to add tow package 53A $1395 and it includes Hitch ,wiring and brake controller. the same thing. It appears there is no added cooling in the tow packages and is not needed. I asked what I get for the extra $805 and they cant come up with anything. the V6 Tacoma comes with tow package and oil and transmission coolers and rated 6800 . I need to find a Tacoma 3.5 and hook it to my 19 and see how it feels. If anyone wants to know if a there newer Tacoma can handle a 19 come on over .
Old 05-02-2022, 02:29 PM   #56
Site Team

my 21" is about 6-7 inches wider than a 19, I think, and I've forgotten to pull out the extendable tow mirrors on my F250 and its been fine. but they are large mirrors with a big wide angle section that I find /really/ helps seeing cars in my blind spots.
Old 05-02-2022, 02:32 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
you sure thats the same 1GR-FE 4.0 that Tacoma was using in the gen2 cars, I think 2005-2015 ? Huh, it is the same 1GR-FE

whoa, the 4Runner hasn't had a major upgrade since 2010? thats a *long* run even for Toyota. I'd definitely avoid the 20" wheels on the fancier versions ("Sport", "Limited", and as I like to explore dirt roads and such, would strongly consider the TRD Off Road version.

a 4runner used for towing will likely benefit from an airbag upgrade as they are sprung pretty softly.

But, is a TERRIBLE time to be buying cars, new or used. The availability is terrible, the demand is really high, so dealers are getting away with really fat premiums.

btw, to save a trip to the dealer, here's the 'catalog' that shows all the packages and options on 2022 4Runners. https://www.auto-brochures.com/makes...unner_2022.pdf

that site, https://www.auto-brochures.com/index.html has nearly every manufacturer's brochures for nearly every model going back 15-20 years, very handy when you are researching late model used cars.

Thanks for the links thats very helpful . You are right not the best time to shop. sure you get good money on your trade but you pay for it.LOL I love my current taco. I do believe it is the worst time to by a taco or 4 runner. I think both these will see a major over hall in the next year or two.word is the new taco could be late this year. Its looking like toyota will be adding a turbo 4 cyc to both these trucks. Not sure how I feel about that,I don't think i want the first model year. My Tacoma has 130,000 on it and it due for some services and tires . That's what got me looking. I been thinking new truck for a while. New Tacoma https://www.motor1.com/news/540880/2...ma-spy-photos/
Old 05-02-2022, 03:59 PM   #58

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Car prices are crazy. It’s one reason I ordered a Ranger March ‘21 and received August’21. I paid $27.2K for an XLT with tow that has 1827lbs payload and 7500lbs towing. I got only a few small dealer options. After purchase, I added spray bed liner, Ford / Redarc brake controller, tonneau, running boards, floor liners, splash guards, bed mat, and ClearView (permanent) towing mirrors. That puts me at $30.5K. It also reduces my payload a little. Cheapest new vehicle I could find that met my 1800lbs payload, and 7000lbs towing requirements. It’s GCVWR is 12.5K. The only place I am slightly over spec is frontal area for the Ranger 7500lbs tow rating is at 55sq ft.

My only real dislike is the 18.9 gallon fuel tank, and I keep a 5 gallon can in the back when towing for the generator I never use in case, but have never come close to running out of fuel. I have not, since getting this truck, wandered around NW Canada. If I were doing that, I’d make sure to carry extra fuel, or take my other truck.

I have a Toyota car, and I like Toyota, but a Tacoma is not enough truck for me. I did not want another full size since I already have a 2500 and full size trucks are getting too big to be fun for me to drive. I’ve come to find them a hassle in unfamiliar cities. My older 2500 is not much larger in size than the Ranger, but I get an 8’ bed, and more than double the payload when I need it. It also tows the E19 fine, but the Ranger is totally up to the job with better mileage than the 2500.
Old 05-02-2022, 05:20 PM   #59
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
...My Tacoma has 130,000 on it and it due for some services and tires ....
tires and service is a LOT cheaper than a new truck. and 130000 miles isn't much at all on a truck, my F250 has 260,000 and counting.
Old 05-02-2022, 05:43 PM   #60

Trailer: 2023 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
tires and service is a LOT cheaper than a new truck. and 130000 miles isn't much at all on a truck, my F250 has 260,000 and counting.
I agree, the second gen Tacoma is a very straightforward truck to service. Replacement parts for common wear items are pretty easy to source (at least in my area) and there a huge level of aftermarket support for the 2nd gen.....especially for suspension-related components.

This is assuming that that the OP's truck doesn't suffer from the dreaded frame rot that commonly afflicts first and second gen Tacoma's from rust-belt areas.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote