towing a 19 with the Tacoma 3.5L V6 Engine - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2022, 08:36 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
Yes I haveing a hard time with the new prices witch seem to be the new norm.

I did drive a 2.7 eco boost today. I liked the truck of course the tacoma is much cheaper and its a sellers market. I really like the mid size truck better,But for towing on long trips i can see why the f150 is liked so much. maybe i should look at tundra Lots of new stuff on that truck. I don't like being the first year test person.

wish they still made The FJ.

Jon I see you traded off after 9,000 miles . was that 9,000 towing or 9000 on the truck. I also read somewhere that the newer trucks did not search as much for gears. not sure if there's any truth to that. I drove a 2021 today with the 3.5 ,But with out hooking up the escape cant tell much.
9K towing. I had around 30K on the truck when I traded it in. A sad day - I loved the truck, but it didn't do the job of towing the 21.
Old 04-29-2022, 08:42 AM   #22

[QUOTE=DGLP;418713]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
Yes I haveing a hard time with the new prices witch seem to be the new norm.

I did drive a 2.7 eco boost today. I liked the truck of course the tacoma is much cheaper and its a sellers market. I really like the mid size truck better,But for towing on long trips i can see why the f150 is liked so much. maybe i should look at tundra Lots of new stuff on that truck. I don't like being the first year test person.

Ah, the prices. I have "built" a Ford 150 online and have looked at local dealers' inventories. Apart from the numerous trim levels one must choose from, there are a multitude of options and "packages" offered. Some single options require a choice of a "package": choose option A and package B or C are mandatory, for a mere 2 or 3 thousand dollars more.
List price for an 2022 XLT, 4 x 4 crew cab with a 3.5 liter Ecoboost: $67,905.
The "options" for this particular unit are fewer than what would be offered as standard on an SUV of an equivalent trim level. Gouging might be an appropriate descriptor here and in other cases:

Available Options
4 Wheel Drive
AM/FM Stereo
MP3 Sound System
Communications-Onboard Hands Free
Telephone-Hands-Free Wireless Connection
Remote Keyless Entry
Tilt Wheel
Traction Control
Brakes-ABS-4 Wheel
4 Wheel Disc Brakes
Tire-Pressure Monitoring System
Security System
Engine Immobilizer/Vehicle Anti-Theft System
Steering Wheel Stereo Controls
Intermittent Wipers
Wipers-Variable Speed Intermittent
Headlights-Auto-Off
Child Safety Locks
Seat-Rear Pass-Through
Mirrors-Pwr Driver
Mirrors-Vanity-Passenger
Air Bag - Driver
Air Bag - Passenger
Air Bags - Head
Air Bag - Side
Air Bag-Side-Head only-Rear
Air Conditioning
Daytime Running Lights
Tow Hooks-Front
Power Steering
Power Windows
Power Door Locks
You left out two of the most necessary (at least in my mind) options - Tow mirrors & the 36 gallon fuel tank.

I don't know if it is any better now, but in 2018 I could not get power folding tow mirrors on the XLT trim.
Old 04-29-2022, 11:52 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Yep, inflation sucks. The Transit van I bought last year is now $5K more.

I bet that new V6 Tundra will be awesome! ...and get better mileage.

Indeed. I'm concerned about durability of the turbo V6 vs. a normally-aspirated V8, but we've had that discussion before re the Ford F150. There are a couple of guys around here who have put 400k miles on their V8 Tundras, according to another Tundra owner who knows them. The Toyota V8 was considered to be one of the best V8 engines, but it's no longer available.

I'd be interested in a towing report from someone on the forum who purchases the new Tundra with the turbo V6.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 12:41 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Indeed. I'm concerned about durability of the turbo V6 vs. a normally-aspirated V8
I think Toyota knows what it's doing by now.
Old 04-29-2022, 12:53 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
UhMike- I had the same concerns when switching from a Yukon with the very reliable 5.3 V8 to the 3.5 EcoBoost. However after almost 3 years and 35,900 am wondering if I really need to buy the Ford ESP for an extended warranty.
Old 04-29-2022, 12:59 PM   #26

Trailer: 2023 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Indeed. I'm concerned about durability of the turbo V6 vs. a normally-aspirated V8, but we've had that discussion before re the Ford F150. There are a couple of guys around here who have put 400k miles on their V8 Tundras, according to another Tundra owner who knows them. The Toyota V8 was considered to be one of the best V8 engines, but it's no longer available.

I'd be interested in a towing report from someone on the forum who purchases the new Tundra with the turbo V6.
I think it's promising that the new Tundra shares its platform and powertrain the latest Landcruiser....a vehicle that typically serves as the global benchmark for reliability/durability.

I've heard that some trucks encountered problems with the turbo wastegate, but understand that the issue was contained to a handful of early-build examples and was quickly resolved.

I suspect that new V6 is going to be less tolerant of poor maintenance than the V8. However, as long as you keep up with oil changes/etc, I would expect comparable longevity.

My biggest concern is that if something like the turbo does eventually fail, it is going to be very expensive/labour intensive to repair.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 01:14 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I guess I, like my v-8 truck, are both becoming dinosaurs.....
Old 04-29-2022, 02:02 PM   #28

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I sure am glad I bought my F-150 3.5EB XLT 4x4 way back in 2016 for under $39K. I couldn't believe I would have ever spent that much on a truck. Times sure have changed.

Today my 2016 F-150 only has 39,897 miles on it. I love this truck's low rpm quiet grunt. Pulling my friends 20 foot "box" stickie around the Ozark Hills in MO is pretty effortless. No high revving, just a quiet whistle up the hills.

Can't wait to yank our upcoming 21C around the country!
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 03:00 PM   #29

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
well back on the dealer lot today.

I test drove the Chevy Colorado, Nissan frontier and a few more f150's Of all the midsize trucks I still like the taco the best. although Nissan was a powerful v-6. I may have considered that but it was more than the taco and f150. I Think I am down to taco or f150. I was suppressed to find out the the 2.7 f150 was ratted 17/23 MPG for 2022 ,But the used 2021 I looked at was 19/24. After I investigated I was told that auto start stop tech had been removed from the 2022 F150 as they had no chips to make it work. looking at the sticker that was correct they took $50 off the MSRP for the removal . I thought that was funny as nothing else they have on any sticker is that low of a price. I did get a chance to drive a f150 with the stock 3.3L V6 .obviously not the eco boost put plenty of power . If i do decide on f150 I kinda between the 2.7 eco or the 5.0 . I have read some that they had some problems with the 5.0 burning oil in 2019 trucks . I wonder if thats been resolved in 2022. The 2.7 seems to the most poplar engine. I still worried about long reliability of the 2.7

Oh ya this might be the worst time to buy a new Tacoma. I would expect after the tundra rebuild the Tacoma might be next.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 04:29 PM   #30

Trailer: 2022 E19
An interesting video on a 2007 Tundra with one million miles that Toyota purchased to reverse engineer. Motor was pretty much original.

Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 06:46 PM   #31

Trailer: 2022 Lynne's Escape19 TV GMC 1500 4x4 Diesel/
Talking New GMC

I picked up my new tow vehicle two weeks ago. GMC Sierra 1500 elevation four-wheel-drive 3.0 diesel crew cab short bed. I have been taking short trips to slowly break it in. Today I did a freeway run 52 miles not above 68 miles an hour. I averaged 34.9 miles per gallon. Granted I'm not towing anything, there is a shell Over the bed. I am a little amazed, I was hoping for 28 maybe 29 MPG. I'll be picking up my trailer first week of August. I have a long run back to SoCal so get a good idea of mileage.
Craiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 07:23 PM   #32

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
I picked up my new tow vehicle two weeks ago. GMC Sierra 1500 elevation four-wheel-drive 3.0 diesel crew cab short bed. I have been taking short trips to slowly break it in. Today I did a freeway run 52 miles not above 68 miles an hour. I averaged 34.9 miles per gallon. Granted I'm not towing anything, there is a shell Over the bed. I am a little amazed, I was hoping for 28 maybe 29 MPG. I'll be picking up my trailer first week of August. I have a long run back to SoCal so get a good idea of mileage.
I just towed our new 5.0 back from Sumas with our GMC Canyon diesel. It ran great, my wife drove it through the siskyous and she really appreciated the exhaust brake. Had no problems passing the big trucks over the pass either. I was so relaxed while she drove I nodded off.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:20 PM   #33

I have 51,010 miles on my 2018 F150 3.5 EcoBoost, and while I did have the timing chain idlers changed out under warrantee, the only other thing other than routine maintenance was new rear brakes at 50474 miles.
Old 04-29-2022, 09:00 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I have 51,010 miles on my 2018 F150 3.5 EcoBoost, and while I did have the timing chain idlers changed out under warrantee, the only other thing other than routine maintenance was new rear brakes at 50474 miles.
Wasn't that specifically the Cam Phasers? Also in that repair was the timing chain actually replaced?

FWIW- the cam phaser replacements were for a problem that only was a result of a tapping noise at cold start for 30 seconds or so. For late March 2019 builds for F-150 and Expeditions (F-150 from the dash forward) they changed the part that was replaced for earlier models. I've had no issues whatsoever.

50K for new rear brakes? Hmmm. Had to do that on my Yukon at near 100K. Hoping not to have to see that in a year or two on the Expedition. Interesting thing was the front pads were like new still at that point. Seems the rear brakes on these vehicles are wearing faster than on passenger cars where the fronts are usually wearing faster.
Old 04-29-2022, 10:35 PM   #35

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
That’s fantastic, and you’ll probably average at least 18 mpg towing, probably higher. I average about 18 mpg with my midsize diesel Colorado towing in the mountains of Idaho and Montana. I have a 19 and have been very happy with this combination. The Colorado gets 30+ mpg not towing. I’m really disappointed that GM has opted to drop the baby Duramax option for the Colorado and Canyon in 2023, although for sure the 1500 with a bigger Duramax is a reasonable alternative… other than the cost, of course! For me, crappy gas mileage is a bit of a deal breaker, which is one reason I bought the Colorado in the first place. It will be interesting to see where technology goes with electric pickups, and whether they will be a realistic option for a tow vehicle in the future.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 01:47 AM   #36

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
[QUOTE=Vermilye;418737]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGLP View Post

You left out two of the most necessary (at least in my mind) options - Tow mirrors & the 36 gallon fuel tank.

I don't know if it is any better now, but in 2018 I could not get power folding tow mirrors on the XLT trim.
Jon, the options listed in the posting were for a 2022 Ford XLT that a local dealer had in stock, listed at $67,000. Nothing incredible but the price. I agree that the trailer tow mirrors and 36 gallon tank should be included with a tow package. With an XLT, the max towing package will give you a 36 gallon tank, but you will have to forgo the 3.0 liter diesel and the 3.5 liter hybrid. Does the better economy of either of those engines justify not offering a larger tank?

The trailer tow mirrors are offered separately from the trailer tow package for the XLT this year. $275 and they're manual folding.
DGLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 08:44 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Wasn't that specifically the Cam Phasers? Also in that repair was the timing chain actually replaced?

FWIW- the cam phaser replacements were for a problem that only was a result of a tapping noise at cold start for 30 seconds or so. For late March 2019 builds for F-150 and Expeditions (F-150 from the dash forward) they changed the part that was replaced for earlier models. I've had no issues whatsoever.

50K for new rear brakes? Hmmm. Had to do that on my Yukon at near 100K. Hoping not to have to see that in a year or two on the Expedition. Interesting thing was the front pads were like new still at that point. Seems the rear brakes on these vehicles are wearing faster than on passenger cars where the fronts are usually wearing faster.
Yes, it was the cam phasers & timing chain. When they did the repair they stated it was with the "new" parts that would not fail in the future.

As to the brakes, I do a fair amount of mountain driving, most of which is towing the 21 near maximum load & the truck bed filled.
Old 04-30-2022, 08:51 AM   #38

[QUOTE=DGLP;418816]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post

Jon, the options listed in the posting were for a 2022 Ford XLT that a local dealer had in stock, listed at $67,000. Nothing incredible but the price. I agree that the trailer tow mirrors and 36 gallon tank should be included with a tow package. With an XLT, the max towing package will give you a 36 gallon tank, but you will have to forgo the 3.0 liter diesel and the 3.5 liter hybrid. Does the better economy of either of those engines justify not offering a larger tank?

The trailer tow mirrors are offered separately from the trailer tow package for the XLT this year. $275 and they're manual folding.
My 2018 XLT SuperCab with the same options + the real tow mirrors & 36 gallon tank and level 2 tow package listed at $46,860. Many discounts, including $1000.00 because I live in the city where the aluminum for the truck body is milled...
Old 04-30-2022, 11:06 AM   #39

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
[QUOTE=Vermilye;418831]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGLP View Post

My 2018 XLT SuperCab with the same options + the real tow mirrors & 36 gallon tank and level 2 tow package listed at $46,860. Many discounts, including $1000.00 because I live in the city where the aluminum for the truck body is milled...

The discount days seem to be gone. hopefully they will come back. Did you have to add any thing to to deal with sag from load and

trailer tongue weight. or will the stock setup handle it?
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 02:40 PM   #40

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
We have a new F150 hybrid and new E19. Due to weather we have not yet gone camping with this setup. However, towing the unladen E19 back from Sumas we got about 16mpg. Without the trailer our mileage is typically at the EPA rating of 23mpg. If a trip includes a fair amount of regenerative braking then the mileage significantly improves. The mileage is horrible while the engine and battery are warming up. The hybrid takes a payload hit of around 200lbs. Our 502a Lariat has a payload of 1630lbs. There is more power than we will ever need. The 7.2kw inverter will be a boondocking gamechanger for us. We chose to order our truck from Granger Ford in Iowa. Their standard deal is 3% below invoice. For what it's worth, we just sold our 2011 Ford Flex with the 3.5 ecoboost with over 100K miles. It was still running pretty much like new with only routine maintenance.
Bouvier is offline   Reply With Quote