Towing a 21C with a BMWx5 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2020, 12:25 PM   #21

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effie View Post
My e19 lights are working fine without this gizmo as did the lights on my now sold 2014 e15. On the other hand the backup camera (installed by Escape) does not work, this can be fixed installing a DC filter in the camera 12v supply, there is a thread here somewhere, that I just can't find.
I am using the BMW original towing wiring harness, once installed and programed it adds a function to the rear view camera that's makes hitching the trailer easy, it also disables the rear proximity sensors when a trailer is connected. And FWI, I'm getting about 15a of charge from the car.
So, if you're able to push 15a from the tow vehicle, you should be able to run the trailer fridge in 12v mode, correct?
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:28 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
After reading some threads discussing this issue I did some testing. When running of 12V the fridge takes 22-24A. On a clear sunny day my 320w solar can deliver consistent 15A while the solar controller is showing 220-240w, together with the 15A from the TV this should be enough but I've never done it, always running the fridge on propane.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effie View Post
After reading some threads discussing this issue I did some testing. When running of 12V the fridge takes 22-24A. On a clear sunny day my 320w solar can deliver consistent 15A while the solar controller is showing 220-240w, together with the 15A from the TV this should be enough but I've never done it, always running the fridge on propane.
Oof, that's more draw than I was expecting. Not sure I'd want to chance it, even with the roof mounted solar. I'd been planning on pre-chilling the fridge, tossing in a couple of frozen cold packs, and not running the fridge at all while traveling except on really long trips. I'm a little leery about running it on propane while underway. Looks like I'll stick with the original plan. Thanks for the helpful info.
Old 08-21-2020, 05:25 PM   #24

Trailer: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofdestiny View Post
For hitches, we ended up going with the Draw Tite because Curt's have been on backorder for weeks. Both hitches offer the same specs and support weight distribution. The one hitch to avoid if using WDH is the BMW hitch which apparently does not support Weight distribution, while both the Curt and the Draw tite expressly do support it.
How many inches from the ground to the top of the hitch receiver? In the etrailer x5 installation video for the draw-tite hitch, it says it’s 13.5 inches. Is that what you have? That would require a lot of rise for the ball to be at the right height for the trailer coupler.
rja52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:54 PM   #25

That's low, my hitch on the x5 (made by a company that does not exist anymore) was about 19", the same as Escape said I'll need for a standard height trailer, for my lifted e19 I needed a raise of 2".
Old 08-21-2020, 08:18 PM   #26

Interesting. The 13.5” measurement is to the top of the 2” receiver, not the top of the hitch ball. Did yours measure 19” to the top of the receiver? What year/model is your x5? Mine is a 2017 35i.
Old 08-22-2020, 02:13 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rja52 View Post
Does anyone know if Escape offers a WDH other than the Fastway e2 as an option?
Unfortunately, in Escape's "improved" website they apparently no longer list options unless you go through the "build" process, and they don't list accessories at all... even in the brochures or the catalog.

In the past, Escape has offered a Pro Series conventional (two spring bars pulling down on chains) weight-distributing hitch, incorrectly calling it an "equalizer" hitch.

I don't think that it matters much what they offer - you can use whatever WD system you want, and have it installed by Escape or by a local shop (Trademasters is the one normally used) at time of pickup.

Quote:
An outfit in London, Ontario (Can-Am Towing) configures lots of X5s for use with Airstream trailers. They like the Eaz-Lift Elite WDH and use that one for their installs.
Can-Am is notorious for massively overloading tow vehicles, sometimes by massively over-applying WD systems (forcing the front axle to carry excessive load). They also modify hitch receivers, and the one example of that work that I have seen was embarrassingly poorly done. They get good reviews from customers, presumably because those customers get to tow trailers that responsible RV and hitch dealers would correctly say are unsuitable. I would suggest not using their "work" as an example in any way.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 02:55 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm surprised that Can-Am hasn't been sued out of existence.
Old 08-22-2020, 03:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Interesting. The 13.5” measurement is to the top of the 2” receiver, not the top of the hitch ball. Did yours measure 19” to the top of the receiver? What year/model is your x5? Mine is a 2017 35i.
The 19" is to the top of the hitch ball, my x5 is 2017 50i with air suspension.
Old 08-22-2020, 04:05 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Can-Am is notorious for massively overloading tow vehicles, sometimes by massively over-applying WD systems (forcing the front axle to carry excessive load). They also modify hitch receivers, and the one example of that work that I have seen was embarrassingly poorly done. They get good reviews from customers, presumably because those customers get to tow trailers that responsible RV and hitch dealers would correctly say are unsuitable. I would suggest not using their "work" as an example in any way.
Thank you. This is good information. I have only read positive reviews on both Airstream and BMW forums.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:48 PM   #31

For my draw-tite, 13.5 inches is correct on my 2011 with air suspension. Measured it while parked with vehicle off.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:23 PM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
hmm, just eyeballed my tow ball on my f250, top of the ball is 16-17" off the ground, and with the 400-500 lbs of tongue weight the E21 puts on it, it doesn't sink a full inch so its probably about 15" when loaded.. my trailer rides quite level.

(both truck and trailer were pretty heavily loaded on that trip)
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:48 AM   #33

Thanks everyone for the input re: hitch ball heights. I don't have a trailer yet (eyeing the 21NE) nor have I installed a hitch on my X5 SAV. The hitch receiver (at least after market ones) will come out under the bumper and the top of the hitch receiver is only 13.5" above the ground. So this will require a bracket/ball assembly with a rise of 8" or so to be level with the coupler on the trailer - especially if the trailer lift option is installed. At this point, I'm looking at the Andersen 'No-Sway' WDH and trying to get a sense of what part # I will need.

Effie - I see you are in the Santa Rosa area. Hopefully no fires close by. I worked for the California Division of Forestry (now Cal Fire) one summer (1968) in Glen Ellen. You guys have certainly had more than your share of fires over the last few years - stay safe.
Old 08-31-2020, 11:51 AM   #34

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the input re: hitch ball heights. I don't have a trailer yet (eyeing the 21NE) nor have I installed a hitch on my X5 SAV. The hitch receiver (at least after market ones) will come out under the bumper and the top of the hitch receiver is only 13.5" above the ground. So this will require a bracket/ball assembly with a rise of 8" or so to be level with the coupler on the trailer - especially if the trailer lift option is installed. At this point, I'm looking at the Andersen 'No-Sway' WDH and trying to get a sense of what part # I will need.

Effie - I see you are in the Santa Rosa area. Hopefully no fires close by. I worked for the California Division of Forestry (now Cal Fire) one summer (1968) in Glen Ellen. You guys have certainly had more than your share of fires over the last few years - stay safe.
I put an Equalizer hitch on my 21C and have ~250 miles towing with my X5 3.5d. It's a nice setup that tows steady and doesn't overwork the engine in any way. It's a great tow vehicle for an escape 21.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:15 AM   #35

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Be careful using WDH with BMW. It would be a good idea to research this with the manufacturer. Many European Cars do not allow WDH and I have read that some manufacturers do not allow WDH if you have the air suspension option.

If you do not have success finding WDH guidance from the manufacturer then check with the BMW X5 forum. Maybe some people were successful getting answers and posted what they learned.

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1665188
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:19 PM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I would avoid WDH on most any unibody vehicle unless the manufacturer specifically recommends its used above a certain trailer weight limit. and yeah, WDH would confuse the heck out of any sort of automatic leveling suspension system.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:10 PM   #37

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I would avoid WDH on most any unibody vehicle unless the manufacturer specifically recommends its used above a certain trailer weight limit.
I don't know why, as long as the vehicle manufacturer allows use of WD. It works the same way regardless of the vehicle's structural design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
... and yeah, WDH would confuse the heck out of any sort of automatic leveling suspension system.
Not really. It takes more trial and adjustment to get the WD system adjusted initially, but once in use automatic leveling systems just adjust (normally by adding or releasing air) to maintain a target ride height, and that still works. The potential issue is that if the rig is bucking at just the wrong frequency the leveling system might be chasing the height changes and making it worse... but leveling systems are usually set up to respond slowly to avoid problems like this over bumps and in turns.

With a full self-leveling suspension (that is, including the front axle), it is necessary to adjust the WD system with a scale, rather than using the front ride height (fender height) measurement.

I have only checked a couple of vehicle manuals for this, but they had no issue with using WD in combination with their self-leveling suspension.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:51 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I don't know why, as long as the vehicle manufacturer allows use of WD. It works the same way regardless of the vehicle's structural design.

Not really. It takes more trial and adjustment to get the WD system adjusted initially, but once in use automatic leveling systems just adjust (normally by adding or releasing air) to maintain a target ride height, and that still works. The potential issue is that if the rig is bucking at just the wrong frequency the leveling system might be chasing the height changes and making it worse... but leveling systems are usually set up to respond slowly to avoid problems like this over bumps and in turns.

With a full self-leveling suspension (that is, including the front axle), it is necessary to adjust the WD system with a scale, rather than using the front ride height (fender height) measurement.

I have only checked a couple of vehicle manuals for this, but they had no issue with using WD in combination with their self-leveling suspension.
It tows well with the WDH, even with the air suspension. The diesel has great torque and the vehicle feels solid and stable, though I only have about 250 miles on the setup at this point. I've been intending to hit the truck stop on the way out of town on my next trip to see what the weight is on the trailer and each axle of the tow vehicle.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:53 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
Be careful using WDH with BMW. It would be a good idea to research this with the manufacturer. Many European Cars do not allow WDH and I have read that some manufacturers do not allow WDH if you have the air suspension option.

If you do not have success finding WDH guidance from the manufacturer then check with the BMW X5 forum. Maybe some people were successful getting answers and posted what they learned.

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1665188
I have tried to research this issue with the manufacturer but no luck. Two dealers near me have never heard of WDH. The BMW "Genius" rep I spoke with will only say that "BMW doesn't recommend any particular brand of WDH." When I asked if he could provide me with any documentation (engineering or otherwise) from BMW that says not to use WDH with their X5s, he said he is "not aware of any."

BMW F15 forums are no better. Some people say "don't use them." Others say they have been using them for years without any problems. Some say "you can't use them with a unibody vehicle." Other say "you just can't use them with the BMW OEM hitch" which I"m told is stated in the OEM hitch's manual (I haven't seen this.)
Old 09-07-2020, 10:24 AM   #40

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
John,
To me your trailer front appears low. I always thought 19" was the ideal height