TPMS Recommendations-2023 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2023, 05:20 PM   #21

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
kavm:

As a check I just went out and screwed one of the aftermarket EEZ Tire (brand) system sensors onto my trailer's 2022 Ford TTPMS valve stem.

Though no longer used for towing the 5.0 I still have the aftermarket EEZ Tire TPMS system in my 2005 F150 (it doesn't have even a truck tire TPMS system) and it's still calibrated for the trailer; parked adjacent to the trailer it 'read' that tire pressure just fine, same as the underlying Ford TTPMS concurrently reports in the new truck.

I can't foresee any reason that would not hold true for any other similar 'cap replacement / screw-on-the-valve-stem' aftermarket system.

I hope you find a solution that works for you!
Thanks for your feedback! It is priceless and makes me confident to proceed with ordering the system.

Thanks a ton, and best regards!
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 07:07 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
I have followed this thread carefully. We, theoretically, have an integrated trailer TPMS built into our truck - 2021 F150. We wasted a lot of dollars and effort wasted to make that work - and it was a total loss. Lot of glossy promises from Ford - with dealers happy to sell expensive parts but not interested in installing or making it work.

Moving forward, we too are keen to add trailer TPMS to our camper. Reading all the generously shared experiences, I see three systems recommended:
  1. Tymate Tire Pressure Monitoring System - M7-3 - Seems to have an always on display.
  2. TireMinder Solar Powered Trailer TPMS - Seems to have an always on display.
  3. TireTraker TT-600 - Seemed like a very good monitor but not necessarily the best interface. Doesn't look like it's on the whole time and even when turned on - it seemed that you have to click through to see the PSI and Temp tire by tire. But, may be that's not a bad thing as I like to look at the road once in a while In any case, it seemed a bit more industrial grade...
With our previous disaster with installation, I wonder how easy or difficult these are to install for a not-DIY type. Any idea about ease of installation and monitoring... Did you get someone else to do the installation?

PS: Some of these ask for baseline and warning temperature. What are the acceptable vs too hot temperature ranges?
I installed the TireMinder Solar powered TPMs.
It’s very simple.
It comes with a signal booster that needs 12 volts. The booster needs to be near the front of the trailer. So it’s fairly simple to tap in any 12 volt source, a light run etc it draws very little power, but it would be good to wire it in a circuit that is part of the 12 volt shut off for winter storage. My favorite taps are to use 3 position WAGO connectors. You cut the wire in the middle to tap the circuit and the Waco feeds both the original circuit and the booster. You need two one from the hot and ground. It’s ten minutes work once you find a suitable wire 12 volt lighting wire in the area . Screw the booster down to secure it. You might look nearby one of the outside lights.

The monitor is solar powered if you install on your windshield. I used velcro on my dash with a usb cable to power it. This system is 150 on Amazon. There are cheaper, but I think this is the cheapest with a signal amplifier. So far it worked for 3 years on my Escape and I just moved it to my new Bigfoot.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 09:33 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
I installed the TireMinder Solar powered TPMs.
It’s very simple.
It comes with a signal booster that needs 12 volts. The booster needs to be near the front of the trailer. So it’s fairly simple to tap in any 12 volt source, a light run etc it draws very little power, but it would be good to wire it in a circuit that is part of the 12 volt shut off for winter storage. My favorite taps are to use 3 position WAGO connectors. You cut the wire in the middle to tap the circuit and the Waco feeds both the original circuit and the booster. You need two one from the hot and ground. It’s ten minutes work once you find a suitable wire 12 volt lighting wire in the area . Screw the booster down to secure it. You might look nearby one of the outside lights.

The monitor is solar powered if you install on your windshield. I used velcro on my dash with a usb cable to power it. This system is 150 on Amazon. There are cheaper, but I think this is the cheapest with a signal amplifier. So far it worked for 3 years on my Escape and I just moved it to my new Bigfoot.
Thank you! You had me until you got to cutting the wires

I did take the plunge and bought a TPMS - after watching the installation tape a couple of times. It seemed doable. Will be back here if it proves otherwise...

Hope you are enjoying your Bigfoot!
Old 05-04-2023, 09:40 AM   #24

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I'm using this $30 Tire Pressure Monitoring System, TPMS Tire Pressure Monitor System Colored Screen Universal Wireless LCD Display Waterproof External Sensors Real-time Detection Tire Pressure Temperature 0-62 PSI.

It works fine. Only issue is after 2 years the stickers that label which tire they go on fell off the ones that were in the sun in the storage unit for a couple months in Florida this winter. Fixed with a Sharpie pen.
TTMartin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 10:37 AM   #25

Quote:
Thank you! You had me until you got to cutting the wires

I did take the plunge and bought a TPMS - after watching the installation tape a couple of times. It seemed doable. Will be back here if it proves otherwise...

Hope you are enjoying your Bigfoot!
https://www.wago.com/us/wire-splicing-connectors/compact-splicing-connector/p/221-413

These are the splice connectors that make it easy to tap into 12 volt power. Good luck with your installation!
Old 05-04-2023, 10:51 AM   #26

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
https://www.wago.com/us/wire-splicin...ctor/p/221-413

These are the splice connectors that make it easy to tap into 12 volt power. Good luck with your installation!
Not sure why a "tap" is needed for any of these TPMS but when a "tap" of an existing harness wire is required I would suggest these which do not require the tapped wire to be cut / stripped and do not damage the strands of the tapped wire: Posi-Tap

Just another alternative which I've found to be very effective, robust, and convenient. They only make a very tiny pin-hole piercing the insulation which is very easy closed with tape or a dab of 'liquid insultation' if / when the tap is removed.
Old 05-04-2023, 11:13 AM   #27

Quote:
Not sure why a "tap" is needed for any of these TPMS but when a "tap" of an existing harness wire is required I would suggest these which do not require the tapped wire to be cut / stripped and do not damage the strands of the tapped wire: Posi-Tap

Just another alternative which I've found to be very effective, robust, and convenient. They only make a very tiny pin-hole piercing the insulation which is very easy closed with tape or a dab of 'liquid insultation' if / when the tap is removed.
Tap is to powe the signal booster when that device is needed near the bottom of the front of the trailer. In the 5.0 the 12 volt converter panel is at the back which is not a suitable location the signal amplifier. Of course a new run from the the panel is a possibility, but a fair amount of work when a 12 volt light circuit would work fine. In my original 21 I tapped in the 12 volt in the 7 pin box under the frame for the 12 volt . Not sure where that box is in the 5.0 ergo the suggestion of a wago for a 12 volt tap. Especially if it’s located on the interior near the front. Since you know the electrical of a 5.0 better I suspect you can advice KAVM better than I. On my rig I used my Cerbo Gx relay function to power on and off the signal amplifier as my power supplies and batteries are near the front of my trailer, which is ideal. I ran a fused power supply from my battery into the relay common and out of the relay normally closed to the signal amplifier, then I use my control function panel to turn the relay on when traveling to power the booster. The signal amplifier receives the rf bouncing off the road and boosts it to the low power receiver in the cab. Etc,

Most of the signal booster com with alligator clips for the battery. It may work at the back of the trailer, but I tend to follow instructions which on my system calls for low and near the front. I did notice that the newer Tireminder systems have robust antennas so this may have changed.

Positap looks very good I’ll put those in my toolkit
Old 05-04-2023, 12:19 PM   #28

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Tap is to power the signal booster when that device is needed near the bottom of the front of the trailer.....
Ah, gotchya.

Gee, I hope that whatever system kavm chooses will work without a booster and this need for a power tap which is just the sort of thing that I'm sure he is hoping to avoid.

Not sure about the systems mentioned in this thread or what he's selected, but the EeZTire model 618 I used when towing my 5.0 with the 2005 F150 communicated reliably without any booster when underway.
Old 05-04-2023, 04:18 PM   #29

Quote:
Ah, gotchya.

Gee, I hope that whatever system kavm chooses will work without a booster and this need for a power tap which is just the sort of thing that I'm sure he is hoping to avoid.

Not sure about the systems mentioned in this thread or what he's selected, but the EeZTire model 618 I used when towing my 5.0 with the 2005 F150 communicated reliably without any booster when underway.
Excellent
It looks like they do offer an optional booster if you have distance issues. When my booster wasn’t powered up once I lost my connection.
However given the size and robustness of the receiver of my system I’m not surprised
Old 05-04-2023, 04:49 PM   #30

Yes - I took the short cut and avoided the need for booster I know my limits...
Old 05-04-2023, 05:23 PM   #31

Quote:
Yes - I took the short cut and avoided the need for booster I know my limits...
Lol

The length of your trailer and tow is shorter than mine, curious which system did you buy ?
Old 05-04-2023, 07:35 PM   #32

Quote:
Lol

The length of your trailer and tow is shorter than mine, curious which system did you buy ?
After reading the reviews and watching the video of the installation, I got the one suggested by SRS (TST). Looked like one doesn't need to install its repeater for 5.0TA - so, seemed like just screw the flow-thru stems (with minor theft proofing bit) and program the monitor.
Old 05-04-2023, 08:09 PM   #33

Quote:
After reading the reviews and watching the video of the installation, I got the one suggested by SRS (TST). Looked like one doesn't need to install its repeater for 5.0TA - so, seemed like just screw the flow-thru stems (with minor theft proofing bit) and program the monitor.
Excellent system used by a lot of truckers. I suspect you’ll be very happy. Since I had one that was cheap I reused it. If I was to replace it I suspect that’s the one I’d look at. Hope the summer goes well, we are headed out for 10 weeks to 3 months in June from Cape Breton to Oregon. First real break in other than the trip home in January with the new rig.
Old 05-04-2023, 08:19 PM   #34

Quote:
Excellent system used by a lot of truckers. I suspect you’ll be very happy. Since I had one that was cheap I reused it. If I was to replace it I suspect that’s the one I’d look at. Hope the summer goes well, we are headed out for 10 weeks to 3 months in June from Cape Breton to Oregon. First real break in other than the trip home in January with the new rig.
Thank you!

Our first trip of the year is coming up over the Memorial Day. We are really hoping that the camper is in a good shape - as we are emerging from a very heavy winter. I did not get to winterize it (due to triple fractures) and had the storage company winterization (they offer this service). Hoping they did a good job - and between that and indoor storage - it made out OK.

Cape Breton to Oregon - that is an epic trip! If you keep a blog or something like that, I'd love to follow your progress! If you come by our neck-of-the-woods, please do get in touch! All the best with your trip!
Old 05-04-2023, 09:19 PM   #35

Quote:
Thank you!

Our first trip of the year is coming up over the Memorial Day. We are really hoping that the camper is in a good shape - as we are emerging from a very heavy winter. I did not get to winterize it (due to triple fractures) and had the storage company winterization (they offer this service). Hoping they did a good job - and between that and indoor storage - it made out OK.

Cape Breton to Oregon - that is an epic trip! If you keep a blog or something like that, I'd love to follow your progress! If you come by our neck-of-the-woods, please do get in touch! All the best with your trip!
Oh sorry to hear about the fractures, I hope you’re recovering nicely. We will be passing through but north of you on the way to Colorado then back east to Ohio after we make it to Portland (new granddaughter to visit) , however maybe back next winter to the Southwest . It was quite a winter in the southwest as my friends Terry and Perry can attest. Ironically our trip across from Portland to Ohio in January picking up the new trailer was warmer than the souther route. Hope all is well I remember your first appearance when you picked up your new trailer. Seasoned travelers by now. I was down a year waiting for my new unit.
Old 05-05-2023, 08:54 AM   #36

Quote:
Oh sorry to hear about the fractures, I hope you’re recovering nicely. We will be passing through but north of you on the way to Colorado then back east to Ohio after we make it to Portland (new granddaughter to visit) , however maybe back next winter to the Southwest . It was quite a winter in the southwest as my friends Terry and Perry can attest. Ironically our trip across from Portland to Ohio in January picking up the new trailer was warmer than the souther route. Hope all is well I remember your first appearance when you picked up your new trailer. Seasoned travelers by now. I was down a year waiting for my new unit.
Thank you! Making progress.

Camping was paused for some time, so it'll be good to restart it. I would not say seasoned but we have a better idea of what we are doing and are not as nervous about backing the camper where needed.

Please do reach out when you visit the area.
Old 05-05-2023, 09:50 AM   #37

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
In 2020 we purchased the Tymate Tire Pressure Monitoring System.

The head unit on the dash has a mini solar panel built in the top so it charges when sitting on the dash, so no need for any corded connection or batteries.

We had a slow leak one time and we were warned when the pressure got below 45 psi (you can set the warning pressure to any you wish).
Perry
That's what I have. The solar works great. We had a slow leak that was confounding and still remains a mystery even after I took the tire off and had it checked. Ended up switching my spare out. I might not have known about the leak if the Tymate alarm hadn't of sounded off. Peace of mind.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 10:01 AM   #38

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Richard
On your slow leak, did you change out you valve stem and or valve core on that tire? Was camped with a fellow escape owner who had a slow leak due to a “loose” valve core. Tightened down, the leak stopped. After that I started carrying a spare core, a “tire tool” that would allow me to easily tighten a core and an old style tire cap with the gasket and the notches that will work in a pinch to tighten a core. Weighs very little and takes up no room in an empty labeled prescription bottle.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-05-2023, 12:33 PM   #39

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Richard
On your slow leak, did you change out you valve stem and or valve core on that tire? Was camped with a fellow escape owner who had a slow leak due to a “loose” valve core. Tightened down, the leak stopped. After that I started carrying a spare core, a “tire tool” that would allow me to easily tighten a core and an old style tire cap with the gasket and the notches that will work in a pinch to tighten a core. Weighs very little and takes up no room in an empty labeled prescription bottle.
Iowa Dave
I dunno if my guys at the auto shop *inspected* the valve core or not. I saw them dunk the tire in a tire leak test tank and rotate and rotate...They also used their tire changer an inspected the space between the rim and tire for grit/debris. They also inspected the rim. . Maybe I screwed up the valve stem installing the Tymate?

I have one of those tire tools from days of yore buried away in some tray of my upper chest! Thanks for the suggestions. I'm sure when I replace the tires with Goodyear Endurance I'll do what Bea did and go with steel valve stems.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 01:44 PM   #40

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
My caps on the Tire Traker came with a little flat wrench to make sure the cap was screwed down all the way and seated. If those caps are “Loose” enough that you can back them off and remove them with your fingers they will slow leak at times. Not Always, it’s a function of the quality of the seal between the cap and the rim of the valve stem. That’s my setup anyway.
Good luck on getting things going.
Iowa Dave