TPMS Recommendations-2023 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2023, 01:53 PM   #41

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
My caps on the Tire Traker came with a little flat wrench to make sure the cap was screwed down all the way and seated. If those caps are “Loose” enough that you can back them off and remove them with your fingers they will slow leak at times. Not Always, it’s a function of the quality of the seal between the cap and the rim of the valve stem. That’s my setup anyway.
Good luck on getting things going.
Iowa Dave
Understood. The only pain part of installing them is that you have to take them off in order to add air to the tire.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 02:36 PM   #42

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
Understood. The only pain part of installing them is that you have to take them off in order to add air to the tire.
I suppose that's one advantage of the 'flow-through' sensors of the sort provided with the kit that SRS linked and kavm has ordered (install 'em very tight and never remove).

Personally, I've not had a problem with frequent repeated 'finger tight' R&R of the non-flow-through sensor caps with the EeZ Tire system I'm still running on my 2005 F150 lacking OE vehicle TPMS. YMMV.
Old 05-05-2023, 10:34 PM   #43

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
I suppose that's one advantage of the 'flow-through' sensors of the sort provided with the kit that SRS linked and kavm has ordered (install 'em very tight and never remove).

Personally, I've not had a problem with frequent repeated 'finger tight' R&R of the non-flow-through sensor caps with the EeZ Tire system I'm still running on my 2005 F150 lacking OE vehicle TPMS. YMMV.
Indeed - the flow through part was what attracted me. Will definitely install them very tight!
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 01:04 AM   #44

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Indeed - the flow through part was what attracted me. Will definitely install them very tight!
I did notice that they require metal valve stems for the flow through sensors. Any decent tire shop can do that for you.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 09:37 AM   #45

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
I did notice that they require metal valve stems for the flow through sensors. Any decent tire shop can do that for you.
See my posts 19 & 20; hopefully kavm will be fine with these installed on the metal-stemmed Ford TPMS currently installed in his 5.0's wheels.
Old 05-06-2023, 02:41 PM   #46

Thank you! Indeed - the stems part of the new TPMS should be much easier for us. One minor recovery for the failed Ford TPMS and backup camera installation experiment.

The system came in but we will only get the camper before our Memorial Day trip coming up.
Old 05-06-2023, 03:03 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
See my posts 19 & 20; hopefully kavm will be fine with these installed on the metal-stemmed Ford TPMS currently installed in his 5.0's wheels.
Oh that’s great. My RAM seems to have metal tips but rubber body valve stems but my very light sensors are rated for rubber.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 10:23 AM   #48

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
Quote:
I have a set. They work well. I changed over to metal stems when I got new tires last spring. The rubber stems did not crack but they did deflect due to centrifugal force and I could see the where the sensor started to mark the wheel rim. I will go down to the shop tomorrow and see what brand I have.
TPMS is a peace of mind thing if you develop a tire leak going down the road or overnight. A blowout usually happens pretty fast and a lot of times does not give much warning. Four other things dealing with tires you may or may not have and wish to acquire.
They are:

1. A good pressure tester,
2. A tread depth gauge
3. if you are of the persuasion, a tubeless tire repair kit.
4. A 12 or 18 volt battery powered or 12 volt DC powered air compressor.

When I’m on the road especially in areas where towns and tire shops are few and far between I check my tires every morning before I start out. Both the pressure and a visual once over.
YMMV
I’ll get the brand name of my TPMS for you.
Iowa Dave
Ditto to Iowa Dave, except I use the TST system. I put sensors on my tow vehicle tires, my tow vehicle spare tire and my TT spare tire. as well, notwithstanding my tow vehicle has it's own pressure monitoring system. I don't keep the pressure screen on the display in my RAM, and it doesn't show temperature. I want to know pressure and temperature of all tires.
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 09:36 PM   #49

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Yesterday I had a flat tire on a yard cart. I aired the tire up and flexed the valve stem, it was cracked and leaking. I had the same thing happen on a wheelbarrow tire last year. Tubeless tire. I complained to myself at the time that I had to buy a package of two valve stems at Walmart. But yesterday I felt like a genius when I easily spotted the second stem on a pegboard. Used four of those blue and yellow clamps to beak the bead, put a little dawn on the new stem and used the valve stem and core tool from my new tire repair kit to seat it on the rim.
Released the clamps, tire sealed back up and inflated to16 psi. Good to haul more yard cleanup debris.
Tools are good to have.
Last month I replaced the stems on two rear tractor tires that were filled with fluid. The calcium chloride had eaten up the valve cores in the past 20 years. Thousand pound tires are a little trickier to deal with.
Easy does it
Iowa Dave
Old 06-04-2023, 12:06 PM   #50

Just a quick note - we were able to install the TST 507 system on our tires. The installation was easier than we anticipated. The UX design to set up the monitor is a bit archaic but we got through that. Seems to work well and gives us some peace of mind.

TST could pay someone to create an iPhone app for the setup, but I am (more than?) a bit spoiled in my expectations
Old 06-04-2023, 12:46 PM   #51
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Y
Last month I replaced the stems on two rear tractor tires that were filled with fluid. The calcium chloride had eaten up the valve cores in the past 20 years. Thousand pound tires are a little trickier to deal with.
Easy does it
Iowa Dave
Maybe you need this young lady to help you out? https://youtu.be/CQyPbrzsroI

SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 05:41 PM   #52

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Not a two timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post

Well I have been married to a fine lady for 53 years now but for you young guys who are on the prowl, this one looks like a keeper. Course if you get out of line you’re on your own.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-04-2023, 07:19 PM   #53

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:

Watched the whole video. I wish she would have been around when I was looking for a good farm wife. I'm in love!

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 06-04-2023, 08:32 PM   #54

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Quote:

When was the last time any of y’all saw a split ring on a wheel? Those things have killed a lot of tire techs.
edlynnrich is offline   Reply With Quote