Trailer brake controller/Sway control - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2019, 09:18 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Whatever system you go with, learn it, practice it, and train it to be an automatic response. Live and tell the tale another day.

Something for me to do while waiting in the mall parking lot for my wife to return.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:24 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
I have the 4x4. A 2014 as I recall, the one with the slightly larger V6 than the current generation at any rate.

The jury is still slightly out on whether we move to a Tundra. On our last trip, our transmission temp got to over 215F during a warm weather climb. We actually pulled over for a short while to let it cool down before continuing to climb. I am not sure what temperature is a realistic limit, but at some point transmission temperature could be our trigger point. Other than transmission temperature and the need to use higher rpms for necessary power, the truck handles the 21 flawlessly.

My take on the issue is that if you have a Tacoma, try the 21, and if you do not like it, get a Tundra if you want to stay with Toyota. If you don't already have a Tacoma, and do not mind a larger truck, I would get a Tundra for pulling the 21. If you try the 21 on a Tacoma, get a Scangauge and set it up to monitor transmission temperature.

Personally, I would not consider trying to solve the issue by going for the 19 or 17. Get the trailer you like best, and if necessary change the truck. Odds are that the trailer will be keeping you happy a long time after the first truck it follows is gone.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:56 PM   #23

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post

Exactly! I practice every time I get in the truck and so does Terry.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry That's a good routine and I'll try to use it. Now are you having sway problems with a fifth wheel? I haven't towed a fifth wheel but lots of goosenecks and even in some serious crosswinds in Wyoming and Nebraska never felt control issues. I was towing trailers much heavier than the 5.0TA.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:59 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Something for me to do while waiting in the mall parking lot for my wife to return.
My wife considers 15 minutes away from a major shopping center a hardship
Old 05-20-2019, 10:24 PM   #25

Does it really make sense to replace a smaller, lighter vehicle with a larger, heavier vehicle for towing up the occasional hill? Is the engine really that more powerful to overcome the size and weight?
Old 05-21-2019, 05:49 AM   #26

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
Perry That's a good routine and I'll try to use it. Now are you having sway problems with a fifth wheel? I haven't towed a fifth wheel but lots of goosenecks and even in some serious crosswinds in Wyoming and Nebraska never felt control issues. I was towing trailers much heavier than the 5.0TA.
It's our first 5th wheel in 15 years. No, there should be no sway problems with the 5.0. I use the trailer brakes sometimes going down mountain grades when I'm snoozing at the wheel. One time I got caught not watching and had to slow real fast. Don't want a jackknife situation.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 05-21-2019, 10:44 AM   #27

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
Quote:
Does it really make sense to replace a smaller, lighter vehicle with a larger, heavier vehicle for towing up the occasional hill? Is the engine really that more powerful to overcome the size and weight?

It may do if the lighter vehicle can't handle the high passes without transmission failure.

The vulnerability of our Tacoma is the transmission, in my opinion, and it is temperature that could kill it. My other half and I love the Tacoma and really want to keep it, but the jury is not in until we tackle some of those really long high climbs in the northwest USA. If those climbs result in us having to repeatedly pull over to cool the transmission, we will move to a bigger truck.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:00 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanEdie View Post
It may do if the lighter vehicle can't handle the high passes without transmission failure.

Wouldn't a heavier (larger) vehicle be subject to the same stresses on its transmission? Assuming that the tow vehicle is rated to tow the trailer weight, how would a larger vehicle be better?
Old 05-21-2019, 11:38 AM   #29

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Wouldn't a heavier (larger) vehicle be subject to the same stresses on its transmission? Assuming that the tow vehicle is rated to tow the trailer weight, how would a larger vehicle be better?

Really? As in everything, there’s a difference between something that’s barely qualified for a job and something that’s better qualified. A Tacoma may be rated to pull a 21, but an F-150 will do it without breaking a sweat. In Death Valley. In the summer.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:46 AM   #30

Quote:
Glenn I wondering when are you going to rid yourself of that gas hog you drive and get something a bit more environmentally friendly?
Old 05-21-2019, 12:09 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
Glenn I wondering when are you going to rid yourself of that gas hog you drive and get something a bit more environmentally friendly?

I figure it has another ten years before it needs replacement. I can buy a lot of gas with the $40-50 thousand it would cost for a new vehicle ( with trade ).

As the Toyota service manager said after doing his walk-around, "it's in very nice shape for its age".
Back to my question though, if I replaced my smaller, lighter RAV4 with a larger, heavier, seven-passenger Highlander, would there be a substantial advantage? And, why do I have to add weight, in the form of third-row seating ( that I don't need or want ) in order to get the tow rating I need?
I don't see how comparing a Tacoma and a Ford F150 enters into the question.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:21 PM   #32

Quote:
I don't see how comparing a Tacoma and a Ford F150 enters into the question.

You asked the question:

Quote:
Thus my response, providing a specific example to your query. I’m confused as to why you’re struggling with the underlying concept.

To reiterate and expand, being within a manufacturer’s listed specifications for towing capacity is not a guarantee that the tow vehicle can handle that load under all, or in particular, under extreme, circumstances. However, a larger tow vehicle, with additional capacity and capability, might not have the same limitations. Mountainous terrain or extreme hot climate, or both simultaneously, eg Death Valley, will push the limits. A lesser vehicle that would be fine in ordinary conditions might not be able to manage such extremes, or might suffer long term impacts to vehicle health.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:27 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanEdie View Post
My take on the issue is that if you have a Tacoma, try the 21, and if you do not like it, get a Tundra if you want to stay with Toyota. If you don't already have a Tacoma, and do not mind a larger truck, I would get a Tundra for pulling the 21. If you try the 21 on a Tacoma, get a Scangauge and set it up to monitor transmission temperature.

I thought we were comparing a Tacoma and a Tundra, not a Tacoma and F150. See quote above.
Anyway, from Autotrader:
"The Tundra offers more capability in the way of towing and payload capacity. Tundra models offer between 6,400 and 10,200 lbs of towing capacity, while the Tacoma offers between 3,500 and 6,800 lbs. Payload is more of the same; the Tundra offers up to 1,730 lbs of maximum payload, while the Tacoma can carry a maximum of 1,620. Both the Tacoma and Tundra offer trailer sway control for use when towing, but only the Tundra is available with an integrated trailer brake controller".
It appears that a Tacoma ( properly equipped ) is more than capable of towing a 21'.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:32 PM   #34

Quote:
I thought we were comparing a Tacoma and a Tundra, not a Tacoma and F150.

Your question was, to paraphrase, “How could bigger and heavier be better?” The principles in answering that apply to both a Tundra and an F-150, as they’re both “bigger and heavier” than the Taco.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:47 PM   #35

Interesting that the Tundra only offers 110 lbs. more payload than the Tacoma.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:01 PM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Really? As in everything, there’s a difference between something that’s barely qualified for a job and something that’s better qualified. A Tacoma may be rated to pull a 21, but an F-150 will do it without breaking a sweat. In Death Valley. In the summer.
Having towed a 21 for over a year with each, I have to agree. I did love my Tacoma, but got tired of the high revving engine & being 150 pounds over payload. About the same amount of "stuff" and I still have 700 pounds of payload left in the F 150.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:21 PM   #37

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
The concept seems simple. A small button attached to the steering wheel with a simple spring clip. The button activates a battery powered bluetooth transmission to the nearby master control to activate the trailer brakes. There are wireless brake controllers on the market now. Just a matter of the bluetooth button.
I agree, although maintaining a battery in yet another gadget and depending on a Bluetooth connection at a critical time both seem undesirable to me. I don't doubt that something can be reasonably implemented, but
  • a good installation would be specific to the steering wheel, so no aftermarket supplier should consider that, and
  • I just don't think there is enough requirement to be a marketable product, so I'm not surprised that it's not on the market.

If two-hands-on-the-wheel manual trailer braking is really important, a left-foot switch would work (assuming an automatic transmission). Of course this would mean disconnecting the manual control in the controller (or connecting in parallel with it) and adding a foot control with connecting wiring. Anyone remember foot-switched high beams?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:33 PM   #38

Quote:
Your question was, to paraphrase, “How could bigger and heavier be better?” The principles in answering that apply to both a Tundra and an F-150, as they’re both “bigger and heavier” than the Taco.

It's settled then. D9 Cat.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 1.32.16 PM.jpg  
Old 05-22-2019, 03:38 PM   #39

Glenn that's being silly. An F150 is much cheaper and uses a whole lot less fuel. Plus can you imagine what it would cost to get plates for that and what about insurance, huh?
Old 05-22-2019, 03:42 PM   #40

I'm quite sure it's diesel though.