Which truck/options to tow a 5.0? - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2023, 03:19 PM   #81

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
Great! Just wondering if you bought a towing package and which did you choose? Thanks.
BTW, as you research build / configuration info for F150s I would urge you to download and refer the the "Dealer Order Guide". It's a very definitive resource, unlike the 'specs' and 'build and price' tools on the Ford retail website which are unfortunately often not current, incomplete, and sometimes even factually incorrect.

Anyone can register and download the most current Dealer Order Guide (and also past years) as a PDF document at

https://blueovalforums.com/forums/in...egory/7-f-150/

The Order Guide is updated as neeeded (each section has the revision date in the header) and applies to both dealer stock orders and what is available to consumers placing a "special order". It does not provide price data but does provide complete and accurate descriptions of all option and packages available for all trims with all applicable precedent equipment requirements / restrictions.

Have Fun!
Old 03-08-2023, 01:35 PM   #82

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
BTW, as you research build / configuration info for F150s I would urge you to download and refer the the "Dealer Order Guide". It's a very definitive resource, unlike the 'specs' and 'build and price' tools on the Ford retail website which are unfortunately often not current, incomplete, and sometimes even factually incorrect.

Anyone can register and download the most current Dealer Order Guide (and also past years) as a PDF document at

https://blueovalforums.com/forums/in...egory/7-f-150/

The Order Guide is updated as neeeded (each section has the revision date in the header) and applies to both dealer stock orders and what is available to consumers placing a "special order". It does not provide price data but does provide complete and accurate descriptions of all option and packages available for all trims with all applicable precedent equipment requirements / restrictions.

Have Fun!
Hi. All of your posts have been very helpful. I have a couple of questions about the truck sticker you posted. May I PM you?
Old 03-08-2023, 02:00 PM   #83

Quote:
Hi. All of your posts have been very helpful. I have a couple of questions about the truck sticker you posted. May I PM you?
Sure, or just ask here if there's any chance your Q&A's might be of interest to others (if I can answer in a PM I'll answer in public )
Old 03-08-2023, 10:37 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Sure, or just ask here if there's any chance your Q&A's might be of interest to others (if I can answer in a PM I'll answer in public )
Thanks. I've already asked my biggie about 2wd instead of 4wd.

Also wondering if the 360 camera package is worth the extra money. I assume it doesn't help when backing up to hitch up.

And wondered about adaptive cruise control, but someone else already answered that.
All your information was very helpful. Buying cars is one thing, but buying a truck for towing is another - pretty scary for some of us.
Old 03-08-2023, 11:09 PM   #85

Quote:
... Also wondering if the 360 camera package is worth the extra money. I assume it doesn't help when backing up to hitch up.
The 360 cam package includes one in the front center of the grille, one under each door rear-view mirror, and one in the high-mounted brake light on the back of the cab (aka 'bed cam') as well as the usual tailgate cam.

You can select a stitched-together overhead view of everything around the truck, or you can select the front or bed views independently. The 360 package is also required to use the separate Ford Accessory trailer-mounted rear view cam.

I've ended up using it all much more than I ever thought I would.
  • The bed cam is ideal for solo hitching the 5.0, a great view of my Andersen hitch and the 'approaching' trailer pinbox / coupler, I can 'nail' the hitch every time now without leaving the cab to check alignment. This view can be selected any time, including while driving down the road.
  • The cams get a lot of use in daily driving; e.g. maneuvering in/out of parking spaces; it takes all the guesswork out of "Where are my bumper corners relative to that adjacent vehicle?" / "How close am I to the lines?"
  • As a solo traveler I really like the separately available accessory trailer mounted rear view cam, which of course shows on the dashboard 12" display without any separate rear-cam display / hardware clutter in the cab. I can view it driving down the road if wanted in addition to when backing the trailer.
I've towed a lot of years without any of this, so no, it's not a necessity. I've had this truck for not quite a year and have been thankful for the 360 cams every day. More than just a nifty gizmo, IMO it's a very high-utility feature.

Based on what I know now, I'd have big regrets if I hadn't selected the option.

YMMV as always.

BTW, the 'bed package' on Lariat and higher trims includes a power-open / power-close tailgate that is controlled with a button on the dashboard. Again, as a solo traveler that's proven a real step-saver when hitching / unhitching the 5.0. Between that and the bed-cam I can lower the tailgate, back close to the trailer, raise the tailgate and back the rest of the way to 'nail the hitch' - all without ever leaving the cab, then the same in reverse when unhitching. I love it.

The power tailgate on lower-than-Lariat trims can have 'power-open' but those don't offer 'power-close'.

Hope that helps, Have Fun!
Old 03-08-2023, 11:31 PM   #86
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
the 360 camera on a late model Mercedes wagon (estate, touring) I test drove was really handy for parallel parking, made it much easier to get just the right distance from the curb. The one we ended up buying didn't have it (just the backup cam), and there've been a few times it would have been handy.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 08:14 AM   #87

Wow, that’s great. Will Ford replace the camera that ETI installed or do they mount it somewhere else?
Old 03-09-2023, 10:13 AM   #88

Quote:
Wow, that’s great. Will Ford replace the camera that ETI installed or do they mount it somewhere else?
OK, now into more detail about the Ford Accessory trailer rear view cam (which also includes trailer TPMS / Tire Pressure Monitoring System) ....
  • In the current F150 Order Guide the system is listed under "Dealer Installed Options (DIO) – Shipped separately from the vehicle for dealer installation"
  • With the item description being "Individual Trailer TPMS/Customer-Placed Trailer Camera (req. 360-Degree Camera Package (763) and Trailer Tow Pkg (53A) or Max Trailer Tow Pkg (53C))"
  • Ordering that DIO is the best way to ensure your truck will be delivered with the equipment and wiring required for this system. I did not order the DIO with my truck and that caused much extra effort to install the system (lesson learned - I should have ordered the DIO with the truck)
This is a hard-wired system (not 'wireless') requiring installation of a cable harness on your trailer that runs from the Ford cam and Ford TPMS receiver to the front of the trailer where you will have a second 'umbilical cord', separate from the usual 7-pin connector cord. Note that the trailer-side installation of this system is "Customer-Placed" in the description - most Ford Dealers will not do the trailer-side installation of the system (working on RV's is not their bailiwick), you will have to have someone else do that or DIY as I did.

When installed you end up with
  • Trailer TPMS that displays trailer tire pressure and temperature with your selected 'low tire alarm pressure', all integrated in the truck's instrument panel display in front of the steering wheel
  • Cam display on the big 12" display in the center of the dashboard
Note the TPMS sensors must be installed inside the wheels just like those in the truck wheels; they replace the tire stems, they do not screw on the outside of a standard tire stem.

Here's a pic of the two displays from my 'first test' during my DIY installation

Again, this is all separate from the 360 cams on the truck, though you must have that option to install the Ford trailer rear view system. It is not cheap, it's not for everyone, but I love having trailer TPMS and rear cam all integrated in my truck displays and warning alarms without any aftermarket stuff in my truck cab.

I did not have the ETI rear view cam on my trailer, so can't comment on how the Ford Cam mounting would or would not align with or cover any holes left when that ETI wireless cam is removed. You or the party doing the Ford cam installation would need to deal with that when selecting your mounting location.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1922R.jpg