Wireless Backup Camera—Recommendations? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2022, 10:03 PM   #21

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
I'm talking about running lights (aka parking lights), not daytime-running headlamps (usually identified as DLRs on dashboards). AFAIK the backup cameras are wired into the former, not the latter.
I understand, not on my Tundra tho.
This is the extra front camera I installed, the screen is in my bedroom area.
Hope you get it worked out.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 10:15 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
I understand, not on my Tundra tho.
This is the extra front camera I installed, the screen is in my bedroom area.
Hope you get it worked out.
A front camera? And all this time I thought we were talking about cameras in back, for hitching and for backuping up the trailer! Why do you want one in front?
Old 10-20-2022, 10:33 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
Thanks, but I don't understand. I know very little about electricity. A drop line? On/Off switch on the camera? Thanks.
Sorry, drop line is what LInda called it on my build. It’s a extra 12 volt wire, ready to connect something to.
I cut the wire to the, installed by escape backup camera and attached the camera wire to the drop line. The wire coming from the headlights I capped off with some wire nuts.

I put in a on off switch so I can then control the camera, you don’t want it to be continuously on and draining the battery.

Those switches come in a variety of styles.

12 volt is way easier to work with that household-110- electricity. I wouldn’t know as much as I do if it were not for my previous experience, years ago, keeping beater cars going.

If you don’t have a extra drop line in your cabinets you could splice into one of the cabinet lights.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 10-20-2022, 10:35 PM   #24

Quote:
A front camera? And all this time I thought we were talking about cameras in back, for hitching and for backuping up the trailer! Why do you want one in front?
I have both, on a 5th wheel there isn’t a front window, security thing.
Old 10-21-2022, 09:58 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
When daytime towing with my 2018 US wired F 150, there is no way to run the daytime driving lights at the same time as the running lights to feed the rear view camera during daylight hours.

The switch positions are: 1. Everything off, 2. Running lights on, but daytime driving lights off (the camera works), 3. Automatic headlights - During the day the driving lights are on, but the running lights are off (as is the camera).
Old 10-21-2022, 10:23 AM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
When daytime towing with my 2018 US wired F 150, there is no way to run the daytime driving lights at the same time as the running lights to feed the rear view camera during daylight hours.

The switch positions are: 1. Everything off, 2. Running lights on, but daytime driving lights off (the camera works), 3. Automatic headlights - During the day the driving lights are on, but the running lights are off (as is the camera).
Well that's weird. On my 2013 Expedition, whenever it's in gear the daytime headlights are on, and if I switch on the Parking (running) lights, the DLRs stay on. Never occurred to me that they'd be exclusive on some cars.
Old 10-21-2022, 12:12 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Well that's weird. On my 2013 Expedition, whenever it's in gear the daytime headlights are on, and if I switch on the Parking (running) lights, the DLRs stay on. Never occurred to me that they'd be exclusive on some cars.
It is weird. The front yellow "parking" lights are on in position 2, but go out in position 3. Unfortunately, so does the parking lights & camera feed.
Old 10-21-2022, 12:43 PM   #28

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post

When I had my '05 F250, which didn't have DRLs, but, did have Automatic Headlights, I just put a black plastic cap over the light sensor on the dash and left the headlight set to automatic. So whenever I drove it the headlights and marker lights would be on. When set to Automatic the headlights turn themselves off day or night when you turn off the ignition.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 12:46 PM   #29

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
My '17 Sprinter turns off the DRLs when you turn on the marker lights. My '06 S2000 the DRL's stay on when you turn on the marker lights. I would prefer they stayed on with my Sprinter.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 02:22 PM   #30

Trailer: 2021 Escape E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
I just received this one EWAY WiFi Magnetic Hitch Wireless Backup Rear/Front View Camera Rechargeable Battery for Easy Hitching of Gooseneck Horse Boat Travel Trailer/Fifth Wheels/RV/Camper Reverse for iPhone iPad Android

It is battery operated and magnetic. You can put it on the back of your tow vehicle while hooking up. You can put it on the back of the trailer while backing into the site. It charges with a USB cable. It also includes a 12 volt plug so you can hardwire it. My intent is to attach a metal bracket above the rear window inside the trailer and have it look out the rear window while driving. Then I can still pull it out to help with hitching up.

They do have models with their own monitor, but, I'm just going to use an old smart phone.
Wondering how it is going with your Eway Backup camera. I'm looking for a backup camera that I can use with my iPhone to eliminate another screen in my tow vehicle and like that this is using batteries. Is the Eway backup camera working well out of your trailer's back window and is it connecting consistently with your phone? Last how is the image on your phone? Thanks!
MarkinVan is offline   Reply With Quote