buying RV site - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2021, 04:42 PM   #41

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
A double sink in the bathroom. For the pool boy?
Old 03-11-2021, 05:19 PM   #42

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Are you still going to keep your 5.0 for traveling?
Old 03-11-2021, 05:23 PM   #43
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
Are you still going to keep your 5.0 for traveling?
Yes, absolutely. For as long as I can!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:22 PM   #44

Pool boys everywhere are glad to hear that!, lol
Old 03-11-2021, 08:37 PM   #45

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&Joan View Post
Our home is in the Cherokee National Forest. We have a site next to our barn where our 5.0 TA is stored. Our friends and relatives use it for free. It has full hookups and is within walking distance of a stream with falls and hiking trails. We also have a small piece of property in the northern state we came from with water and septic. Power to come this year I hope. Same deal, free for as long as you mow the lawn while there!
That sounds like a heavenly place to spend a couple of days. I should write to you after I retire (in about 4 years) and ask if I can be a friend!

I used to think about buying a small piece of land in some woods or in farm country, and running utilities to it for RV hookups. But it seems like I have too little money for buying extra real estate, and too much wanderlust to stay in my RV anywhere for more than a few days.

Besides that, in the state I most frequently return to, where I grew up (Michigan), I have relatives with parking space and there is plenty of national/state forest land for boondocking. I could probably even contact a couple of old farm acquaintances and get permission to park on the edge of an alfalfa field for a week. (Have you ever smelled freshly cut alfalfa? Wonderful.)
Old 03-12-2021, 07:17 AM   #46

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The thing that absolutely astounds me is people actually buy these trailers for traveling! Laudy. I knew that, but still... I can turn Ten Forward around on a two lane road, this thing takes a football field...
It's really light and small compared to a 53' van semi-trailer. If you can keep the GCVWR under 26,000 lbs, you can even pull it with something equipped with hydraulic brakes.

But not your basic pickup.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:04 PM   #47

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
It's really light and small compared to a 53' van semi-trailer. If you can keep the GCVWR under 26,000 lbs, you can even pull it with something equipped with hydraulic brakes.

But not your basic pickup.
Not your basic "1/2 ton" pickup, but it's within the capability of typical "one ton" (class 3) pickups (Ford F-350, Ram 3500, Silverado/Sierra 3500), and that's what lots of people use for them; it should be easy to find someone to move it. Of course medium-duty trucks set up for fifth-wheel RV trailers are made for this sort of thing.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:09 PM   #48

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
My requirement was I wanted a front livingroom..
I can see wanting that for many sites, and it certainly does limit the selection, particularly in fifth-wheels. It also moves the stairs issue from bedroom and bathroom to the living room.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 05:52 PM   #49

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Donna which is you favorite Escapee park? I'm thinking of joining but mostly interested in western states.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 06:01 PM   #50
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
Donna which is you favorite Escapee park? I'm thinking of joining but mostly interested in western states.
Oh wow. There's so many good choices. I'm on the list for SKP Timber Valley, in southern Oregon. And also on the list at SKP Saguaro in Benson, Arizona.

IF you're looking to stay in Washington State, check out SKP Evergreen Coho in Chimacum. I've never been there so can't offer an opinion.

I think on the West Coast SKP Park Sierra in Coarsegold, CA is the most popular and probably has the longest waiting list. It's just outside Yosemite. I thought about it, but for personal reasons decided a park in Oregon was preferable to California.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:26 PM   #51

Trailer: 2018 17B
Actually, Park Sierra near Yosemite does not have a long waiting list at the moment. Park Sierra is where I have my site. There are two of us Escape owners here. The best way to decide would be to make an Escapee Parks tour and visit each one that may interest you. I have been to almost all of the Escapee parks in the country and my favorites in the west are Evergreen Coho in Washington, Timber Valley in Oregon, SKP Saguaro in Benson AZ, and of course my personal favorite Park Sierra in Coarsegold, CA.
Calicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 06:44 PM   #52
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicia View Post
Actually, Park Sierra near Yosemite does not have a long waiting list at the moment.
That's good news for those wanting in fairly quickly. Last I heard it was at least five years. I just passed (a couple of days ago) my five year wait for Timber Valley and expect it may be another year yet.... sigh.

Had I known then, what I know now... I would have gotten on the lists the day I turned 55 y/o!
Old 03-12-2021, 07:56 PM   #53

So who are the big playas who buy RV parks and manage them? Some companies must be gobbling up mom and pop parks because of the popularity of the lifestyle?
Old 03-12-2021, 08:51 PM   #54

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
That sounds like a heavenly place to spend a couple of days. I should write to you after I retire (in about 4 years) and ask if I can be a friend!

I used to think about buying a small piece of land in some woods or in farm country, and running utilities to it for RV hookups. But it seems like I have too little money for buying extra real estate, and too much wanderlust to stay in my RV anywhere for more than a few days.

Besides that, in the state I most frequently return to, where I grew up (Michigan), I have relatives with parking space and there is plenty of national/state forest land for boondocking. I could probably even contact a couple of old farm acquaintances and get permission to park on the edge of an alfalfa field for a week. (Have you ever smelled freshly cut alfalfa? Wonderful.)
Mike, I hope to be around in 4 years! I will then be 84. Fresh cut alfalfa? All good memories of growing up on a farm and doing the haying for sure.
Tom&Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:11 AM   #55

Trailer: 2013 Casita SD 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
New to all this, I have a 5.0TA ordered for delivery later this year.
Does anyone own an RV site on here? curious about the good ,the bad and other comments..
GOOD GRIEF PEOPLE!!!
How do you even arrive at storing your RV from this persons post?
debcost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:20 AM   #56
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by debcost View Post
GOOD GRIEF PEOPLE!!!
How do you even arrive at storing your RV from this persons post?
It's not unusual for people to have a seasonal site and then either continue to store their trailer at that site during offseason, or move it to a secure location (at the park). But yeah, thread drift...
Old 03-17-2021, 11:33 AM   #57

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19 (6/15/21)
Quote:
Oh wow. There's so many good choices. I'm on the list for SKP Timber Valley, in southern Oregon. And also on the list at SKP Saguaro in Benson, Arizona.
Donna, we look forward to having you as a member of our little RV Community in Sutherlin.
A little background, we've been members there since 2013 and have found it a great home while not traveling. BTW, we're taking delivery of an Escape 19 in June. Can't wait.
thoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 12:08 PM   #58
CJW

Trailer: 2021 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Like Donna, we are on waiting list for Escapees park lease on East Coast. We’ll have a base both in AZ and in the East that will give us a place when we’re not on the move to hole up.

We are seriously considering buying an RV lot in Palm Springs - we have also owned timeshares for 40 years and have been super happy with them - 1 week in Lake Tahoe (Incline Village, North Shore), 2 weeks in June Lake, CA (Eastern Sierras) and 2 weeks at The Historic Tennis Club in Palm Springs. We always made sure they were an easy 1 to 2 day drive from our home and in an area that had a lot of recreation. Did we buy them for an investment? NO!!!!! We bought them because we wanted to make sure we always had a place to go when and where we wanted to go. So for us buying an RV lot (after a lot of research, of course) makes sense. We would park a large 5th wheel on it and use our 21C for travel. For us, it makes sense as it might for you, also
CJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:34 PM   #59

I think for a lot of peeps it makes sense. Its not my cup of tea. but it assures a spot wherever you want to spend a season or more. No worries about campgrounds etc.

I am amazed at the pushback from the collective forum..not right for many but works for some. It also doesn't mean you are anchored there forever.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:34 PM   #60

Trailer: 2021
Wouldnt have one in your neck of the woods sofmerc ?

jonny V
johnnyv is offline   Reply With Quote