Lack of Black Tank Flush out system? So what does everyone do - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2020, 03:08 PM   #21

Trailer: 5.0 ta
After each dump we add a mix of borax and dish detergent and a 1/4 cup of bleach of bleach. Every half dozed or so dumps And after big trip we we use a cleaning wand. 10,000 miles since we got our 5.0 last May and no problems. Before last dump when leaving campground we fill the tank full to ensure a good volume of outflow.
GimliGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:41 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Unlike a class-A, the black tank is easily cleaned with one of those spray wands down the toilet that is designed for that purpose. The toilet sits directly on top of the black tank which is above floor level.
Even in a Class A, the blank tank it is routinely immediately below the floor, so the reach for a wand is just a little longer (the height of the toilet) and still a straight shot. Some cases are not so good - we have a large 5th-wheel trailer with the tank way below the toilet and two turns in the pipe between them.

I have a black tank flush system in my Class A, and it is not very effective so I use a wand down the toilet, just as with an Escape.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:25 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Bacteria is what makes a successful blank tank system. If you make it clean as a whistle you’ll be disrupting the system. Other then a very occasional extra fill/flush with water, ours has never had anything but a dump after trip, and if it had light use don’t even dump. Never had an issue with odors from the tank over the years. Grey tank odors we have had and occasionally need to treat it to a lil bleach and drive.
Greg we have been using Oderless for years and never have any Odors . We clean the tank to keep the stupid senders working . Not sticking my head in there . Do not have Horst sensors either . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:29 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Pat, I hear good things about the Oderless. What’s the cost like?
I don’t really know if our senders are working as I don’t really use them. Last I checked they were fine I guess. Just know from history of tanks and camping, with x people I have to dump at x days.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:53 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Pat, I hear good things about the Oderless. What’s the cost like?
I don’t really know if our senders are working as I don’t really use them. Last I checked they were fine I guess. Just know from history of tanks and camping, with x people I have to dump at x days.
Hi Greg same as other chemicals . Found out about from a older gentlemen when we were shopping for chemicals years ago , before even Escape . Been awhile since we needed to purchase any . Can get different ways . We like the packets easy for us . Can also get in tub . Amazon , camping world just about everywhere they sell items for RV ‘s . Works great because we both have to deal with heat . I use another product for the grey and yes that can really stink . Just found this product to be great . Pat
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2020, 09:46 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
One advantage our 19 had was that it was so easy to pass the hose in the window (a good reason to have a window in the 19) and hose down the tank.

But with the toilet and window on the other side of the 21 that's not so feasible. No sweat though, we've found that just dumping a couple of buckets in to give a rinse seems to work just fine.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Greg same as other chemicals . Found out about from a older gentlemen when we were shopping for chemicals years ago , before even Escape . Been awhile since we needed to purchase any . Can get different ways . We like the packets easy for us . Can also get in tub . Amazon , camping world just about everywhere they sell items for RV ‘s . Works great because we both have to deal with heat . I use another product for the grey and yes that can really stink . Just found this product to be great . Pat
Greg for the grey tank another reason for it stinking . After movement like going down the road the water isn’t in the pipe to block odor. Can put in that bladder system , or add a little water or put a little of the TST . We also add to shower drain and the bath sink . Pat
Old 06-24-2020, 11:35 AM   #28

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post
Lack of Black Tank Flush out system? So what does everyone do? Just curious what everyone's black tank maintenance is since there isn't a black tank flush out port. This is just for general knowledge and not being critical. I've owned Class A's before so I am quite familiar with the deal. Has anyone has a port installed? How did you like it?
IMO, people get way too concerned about having a 'clean' black water tank.

Don't leave your valves open when you have full hookups, don't be stingy on your flush water and you're not likely to have any issues.

If your tank level sensors work (might take up to 12 hours after you dump) your black water tank is clean enough.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:04 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Greg for the grey tank another reason for it stinking . After movement like going down the road the water isn’t in the pipe to block odor. Can put in that bladder system , or add a little water or put a little of the TST . We also add to shower drain and the bath sink . Pat
I have Hevpo valves in both the bathroom and the kitchen sink. I don't know if the grey tank smells or not as there is no way for the smell to get out.

Should I put something in the grey just in case?
Old 06-24-2020, 12:16 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape19 2016
Re: toilet paper, you can put your used tp in a garbage bag instead of flushing it down the toilet. Then you can buy the nice soft stuff : )
Barb Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:20 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Making your own black tank flush wand

Here is an article on making your own black tank flush wand. I bought all the materials from Home Depot, including a quarter turn shutoff valve in the handle. I enlarged the side spray holes a little vertically so the spray is wider vertically than horizontally. When not in use, it sits behind the toilet.

When I use the sprayer, I normally let it fill the tank, then drain the tank 2 or 3 times, until the water running out of the tank is mostly clear. I don't flush the tank with every draining, as I used to with the Casita, but I try to when there is no line and I have time.

I also normally run one of the passenger side trailer wheels up on a Trailer-Aid tire changing ramp I carry, to dump the tanks more quickly and thoroughly.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:35 PM   #32

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb Hunt View Post
Re: toilet paper, you can put your used tp in a garbage bag instead of flushing it down the toilet. Then you can buy the nice soft stuff : )
You can use nice soft stuff as long and put it down your toilet as it is 'Septic Safe', it will break up just as fast as special RV toilet paper.

From rotorooter.com

SEPTIC-SAFE TOILET PAPER

There are numerous types of toilet paper available which are marked “septic-safe.” Generally, this designation is intended to indicate that the toilet paper will dissolve rapidly. If you’re skeptical of manufacturer labels, look for toilet papers that have been certified septic-safe by the National Sanitation Foundation, a nonprofit organization that tests products related to health and the environment.

Still uncertain?
Take matters into your own hands! If you’re particularly attached to a certain brand of toilet paper, there is a simple experiment you can conduct at home to compare brands.

Choose 3-4 brands of toilet paper to test.
Place 4-5 squares of each into a large mason jar or other clear container.
Fill the first jar about ¾ full with water. Replace the lid and shake vigorously for 10 seconds. This will mimic what happens to toilet paper after it is flushed and travels through the pipes and into your septic tank.
Have a look! If the toilet paper has fallen apart into tiny pieces, you’re in luck--it’s a better choice for your septic system.
Repeat with the other jars.
This comparison will show you how quickly and thoroughly different types of toilet paper dissolve, and can help you decide which is best for your septic system. If different types pass the test, then it’s up to you to decide using other factors--brand, comfort, or even convenience--what’s available at your local store for the right price.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:39 PM   #33

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
A friend swears by this recipe he calls a "Scottie's Poopy Cocktail."

1. Fetch up a one gallon jug and fill it half full of warm water.
  2. Add 1 cup Baking Soda and swirl, shake, and jiggle around until it is fully dissolved.
  3. Add 1 cup Lemon Scented Ammonia and shake to mix it up.
  4. Add 1 cup Pine Sol and shake to mix.
  5. Add 1 cup liquid Fabric Softener (Downey) and shake to mix it in.
  6. Finish filling the jug with water and then give it a good shake.

That’s it! Now, put just 1 cup in each tank in your new trailer.

The combination of the goodies in the goop really help to keep the tanks clean.

Another hint. . . if you are out parked for a few days and are tempted to dump before you return home, don’t. Bring the full tanks down the road for a while to get all the stuff in the tanks mixed up and agitated really well before you dump.

If you don’t all the solids are likely to have been clumped together on the bottom of the tanks and the liquids will just run over the top of the clumps and then the clumps will dry up and cement themselves to the bottom of your tanks.
pacificc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:44 PM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Bleach, ammonia and Pine Sol, and other 'cleaners' are hard on the valve seals. There's a reason some black water tank deodorizers mention 'lubricates the seals.' Use DIY products with discretion.... YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 12:00 PM   #35

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Donna's right on, you should be very careful about using harsh chemicals in the tanks. Thetford mentioned that to us when we had to replace the seal. Really, they should be treated like a septic system so the bacteria can break down the waste. Greg is right, clean as a whistle is not a good environment for a septic system. Also, I'm afraid for those of us that only use the potty for #1, those days are over since the CDC says public restrooms are one of the more dangerous spots for the spread of the corona virus.

Here's an interesting review of tank flushing systems...

Happy trails, stay safe out there
Kathie (and Dave who can't wait to go camping again!)
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:13 PM   #36

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
I don't know, maybe I'm making it too easy. As a river runner for the past 27 years, and having had to deal with numerous loaded porta potties after river trips, all I can say is the trick to a positive and effective dumping experience is liquid... the more the better. Keep the word "SLURRY" in the front of your mind. Attaining a slurry is your objective in managing the black tank!

As others have suggested, add a couple of gallons of water before leaving, along with a good treatment (I use Odorlos, the stuff is awesome). You want to avoid the creation of any solid "fixture" in the tank. I also keep a 1-gallon jug of water by the toilet, so that a lot of water can be added to the toilet to ensure everything flushes, and more water goes into the tank. This will completely avoid creation of a solid "pillar" in your black tank.

Once the tank gets full enough you think it needs to be dumped, top it off with more water, drive the trailer around to mix everything up, then do the dump at your convenience. If you've been generous with adding water during your stay, this step may not be necessary.

Adequate liquid ensures everything will exit during the dumping process. I have never felt the need to flush it out with a wand or hose following this routine. Although admittedly I have also never stuck my head or a flashlight into the toilet to check, I am fairly certain there is no build-up of anything. The black tank sensor has always worked, and I've never detected any odors. This is just a super easy situation to manage, in my opinion. Much easier than a river toilet, that's for sure!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:11 PM   #37

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
We drain both tanks, then refill both with 10 gallons or so and drive around the campground or just get inside and rock it back and forth for a few minutes. Can't visualize the gray tank but the black tank is clean as a whistle. Tip: we start our trips with 5 gallons of clean water in the black tank so fecal matter drops into water rather than onto bare tank bottom.
Clean as a whistle? I'll blow on a whistle, but I can't imagine anyone putting their lips on a black tank and blowing...

Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:12 PM   #38

Trailer: none
Hi,
I have used the Tornado tank flush on my last trailer and my 21 escape. Very easy to install and flushes from the far end to the drain. Never has an odor or clog with this device and it so far has never leaked. We also only use vinegar for our tank deodorizer which works great and is enviromentally better than chemicals. Did this on 2 trailers and a sailboat we lived on.
shepmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:15 PM   #39

Trailer: none

https://www.campingworld.com/tornado...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Heres a link to a tube video on tank cleaners and the link for the Tornado
shepmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:21 PM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepmoon View Post
We also only use vinegar for our tank deodorizer which works great and is enviromentally better than chemicals.

Vinegar is a weak acid. Not sure that it is beneficial for the seals. And, vinegar is a chemical.
CH3CH2OH + O2 → CH3COOH + H2O