No air coming through kitchen sink - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2023, 09:26 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
You create a "hard spot" doing that. It could end up crimping at the edge of the splint.

One way to prevent a hose from collapsing in the damaged area is to spiral wrap it with wire in the affected area.

I've also just used a single hose clamp in an affected area, keeps it from collapsing again.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 09:49 AM   #42

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
This thread has given me the idea that I don't need to haul my 3 gallon compressor out to the storage lot to winterize the trailer- I can use the new 12V compressor/inflator I just bought for the truck and trailer. I'll just locate one of the proper blow-out valve.

Thanks for the idea.
I checked my newly purchased compressor/inflator. There is no way to set the PSI, just an on/off switch for when you reach the desired pressure.

Oh well, that one is going back. I'll keep my eye out for another with a PSI setting.

I do have Milwaukee M18 tools so perhaps I'll pick up the Milwaukee you guys are talking about if my batteries will fit.

Edit:
Ouch, I just checked the price of the M18 inflator. I'm not sure the convenience is worth $256CDN to me. I'll have to watch for a good sale.
Old 11-01-2023, 10:42 AM   #43

Trailer: 2023 E19
Quote:
I checked my newly purchased compressor/inflator. There is no way to set the PSI, just an on/off switch for when you reach the desired pressure.

Oh well, that one is going back. I'll keep my eye out for another with a PSI setting.

I do have Milwaukee M18 tools so perhaps I'll pick up the Milwaukee you guys are talking about if my batteries will fit.

Edit:
Ouch, I just checked the price of the M18 inflator. I'm not sure the convenience is worth $256CDN to me. I'll have to watch for a good sale.
I mentioned this on another thread, but I also use and can highly recommend the Viair 400P-Automatic 12V compressor/inflator. This unit has sufficient capacity blow out RV water lines. Viair even sells a separate winterization kit that consists of a city water connection adapter, pressure regulator, and shutoff valve.

All the Viair air lines/accessories use standard quick connect fittings, so it was easy to pick up the parts from Princess Auto that allowed me to use it for winterization at a much lower price than the Viair kit.

It's not cheap, but the quality/performance is well beyond any other 12V inflator that I've used. I personally prefer it to something like the Milwaukee inflators.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 11:22 AM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

There is no way to set the PSI, just an on/off switch for when you reach the desired pressure.

I usually just use a line from my shop compressor which is regulated to 90 psi. No problem. Put air in for a few seconds, open tap, there's not much danger of hurting anything. Once the bulk water is out you can let the air flow to it's hearts content, with a valve open it'll never reach a high pressure.

If you like the unit you bought but want a regulated amount of air a cheaper alternative to buying a much more expensive uint is to buy an airline regulator. Well under 20 bucks for a basic one.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 12:08 PM   #45

The 12V compressor I bought is a ProPoint that operates at 100psi and 1.05 cfm.
It is said to inflate a 15” tire in 3-4 minutes, which is much faster than the crappy little compressor I had behind the seat of the truck.
I’ll try it out before I decide on keeping it or not.
I see many options for air line regulators at Princess Auto.
Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-01-2023, 12:11 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
I mentioned this on another thread, but I also use and can highly recommend the Viair 400P-Automatic 12V compressor/inflator.
Thanks for all the info
iamunique127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 12:26 PM   #47

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:

Edit:
I have to take a deep breath every time I buy a Milwaukee tool, then after a few times of using it I’m ok with the expense.
That said if I was only using the compressor for winterization, I would have hard time spending the money. Unexpectedly just having it around for all my air pressure needs has been worth it-for me anyway.
You could always try it and return it if you’re not happy with it, especially helpful you already have a battery. I haven’t missed not using a tire gauge, and I’m way more on top of a fairly big safety issue.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 12:26 PM   #48

Trailer: 2023 E19
Quote:
Thanks for all the info
Don't let the current Amazon.ca pricing for the Viair give you a heart attack. I bought mine during Amazon's Black Friday sale last year for over $100 less.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 01:05 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
I have to take a deep breath every time I buy a Milwaukee tool, then after a few times of using it I’m ok with the expense.
That said if I was only using the compressor for winterization, I would have hard time spending the money. Unexpectedly just having it around for all my air pressure needs has been worth it-for me anyway.
You could always try it and return it if you’re not happy with it, especially helpful you already have a battery. I haven’t missed not using a tire gauge, and I’m way more on top of a fairly big safety issue.
That's generally the way with a tool that suits your needs and makes life easier, isn't it?

My thought for a portable compressor was mainly to keep on top of the tire pressures for the truck and trailer but I have several other trailers & wheeled devices that would benefit from proper tire pressures more often. Winterization would just be a bonus.

I do have a compressor in the garage but don't have a work space outside the garage so generally I have to wheel the compressor to where I need air if beyond the length of my two air hoses.
Old 12-12-2023, 07:35 PM   #50

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
In my current life, an excuse to go to Harbor Freight and get a tool I may only use once is icing on the cake.
beebobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 10:01 AM   #51

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Blowing out the lines involves two phases. One is the bulk blowout and that's when slugs of water come out up until the point where it seems that just air is coming out.

If you ever watch something like clear vinyl with loops having the water blown out you'll see that after the bulk blowup happens there's still moisture in the tubing. It sheets around the circumference and the interior is still moist. Over time that moisture can settle into low points etc.

That's why the volume of air is important. A low volume will blow out the bulk air but won't move the sheeted water along and dry the interior nearly as well as a high volume of air will.

So, with a low volume air compressor keep the air flowing even after it seems that the water is out.
I blow the lines with my Black & Decker inflator, then run a gallon of antifreeze through, then blow the antifreeze out. What water/mist is left is 99% antifreeze, not water.

Food for thought,

Perry
Old 12-13-2023, 10:56 AM   #52
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
I think an inflator can be made to work with a blow out plug with a schrader valve and an inflator that can be preset with desired PSI. I've been looking at this Harbor Freight unit but apparently they are an "in store" only item and the local HF manager tells me they sell out as soon as they get them in.

https://www.harborfreight.com/20v-co...nly-64533.html
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote