Escape Rally in the Valley, 2023 - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2023, 10:45 PM   #121

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We looked at this trailer at a previous rally. This model is really neat and the hosts are very gracious. Their trailer tour usually brings out at least three questions.
Why doesn’t Escape start making the 13 again?
Where are the molds?
Who has one of these in perfect condition they would like to sell, cheap.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-14-2023, 02:40 AM   #122

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
Maybe someone could start a thread on crossing the border for us first timers.
Tips, advice, directions, any info.

We will be crossing at Nighthawk on 25 th..

Links to info.
Old 01-14-2023, 12:38 PM   #123

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
It's really simple, just 3 basic rules.

1. Read up on what food stuffs are allowed in. The list does change from time to time. Remember that we folks in Canada have large well stocked supermarkets also.

2. Be honest and don't pre-think answers. Just answer the questions you're asked.

3. Be aware that the unfortunate experiences that some Americans have at the border is because they didn't answer questions about firearms honestly. Some firearms are allowed but we have stricter rules.

Crossing the border is usually a non-event. Often I've crossed weekly on a prolonged basis. Yes, from time-to-time you get someone on either side of the border who's a bit snarky but that's life.

Don't sweat it.

Ron
Old 01-14-2023, 01:34 PM   #124

Trailer: 2021 17B
Also Nighthawk is a very small crossing and you likely won't be greeted by a grumpy pants officer very frequently. It has a more casual feel about it most times I've been.
(On motorcycles mind you, but nonetheless).
Old 01-14-2023, 02:08 PM   #125

Actually I had one of my most unpleasant border crossings ever there. I haven't had a lot of bad ones considering my huge number of border crossings but that was one of them.

Going South, for some reason the agent was out of her booth, about 25' down the road and standing in the center of the lane. I rolled up to the booth window and stopped dead, again, she was about 25' down the road. She turned around and started screaming at me that I was trying to run her down! Totally bizarre. Then I was dressed down for coming up to the booth without her telling me to.

I think the most common situation is that folks that have never crossed the border before have some apprehension and afterwards are kind of amused at their previous worrying about it.

Ron
Old 01-14-2023, 09:47 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Actually I had one of my most unpleasant border crossings ever there. I haven't had a lot of bad ones considering my huge number of border crossings but that was one of them.

Going South, for some reason the agent was out of her booth, about 25' down the road and standing in the center of the lane. I rolled up to the booth window and stopped dead, again, she was about 25' down the road. She turned around and started screaming at me that I was trying to run her down! Totally bizarre. Then I was dressed down for coming up to the booth without her telling me to.

I think the most common situation is that folks that have never crossed the border before have some apprehension and afterwards are kind of amused at their previous worrying about it.

Ron
So I will be camping in Eastern Wa for a week before crossing on the 25th. Can I just roll up to customs give them my info and cross or is there something I need to do before that.?
Old 01-14-2023, 10:33 PM   #127

I believe you need either an enhanced driver's license, a passport or a passport card to enter Canada.

I'm not sure what you mean by giving them your info. The days of crossing the border without any documents ended quite a few years ago.

Normally the only info that you give are answers to any questions that they may or may not ask. It could be as simple of them asking where you're off to, you saying the Escape Rally in Osoyoos and them saying have a nice day.

I do have a Nexus card and other clearances and many of my crossings are more like rolling stops and I'm on my way in a minute. Occasionally, luck of the draw, I get the grumpy booth.

Ron
Old 01-14-2023, 10:39 PM   #128

I read somewhere that there was a online form to pre fill out. But that might have been for air travel.

We have passports,
Insurance
Registration s
Dog vet records

Looking for a list of prohibited foods and such now.
Old 01-15-2023, 12:58 AM   #129

Whew, I was hoping that you weren't going to say that you didn't have a passport.

Dog papers are good. They usually don't even comment when they see your dog but it's good to be prepared.

You're good to go.

During the worst of Covid we did have something called the ArriveCan app, But that's not an issue now.

Good, read up on the food rules. But be aware that the list does change and check again closer to the date. One year eggs were OK going from Alaska to the Yukon and 2 weeks later they weren't.

Ron
Old 01-15-2023, 09:28 AM   #130

If you buy potatoes in Canada out of the bulk bin in the grocery store, like the big bakers where you might only buy two or three, do not bring them back into the USA. Root vegetables in general that might have dirt on them. The USA border guys will take them away from you and give your trailer an inside inspection. That’s our experience.

I broke the latch on our refrigerator on our 19. I got a new one and installed it and to keep the door from trying to open on its own on a rough road, I installed two small brushed nickel cleats, one in each side of the refrigerator. Then when we hit the road I used a heavy duty boot lace to strap across the door. Worked great. We were inspected once coming back into the US and the guard commented.
He pointed at the cleat. “What’s that?”
I said “ Its a cleat to hold the door shut”
“I’ve never seen that before.”
That’s when I almost screwed up when I said “The Romans had them on ships 2000 years ago.”
By his facial expression I could tell he didn’t like my inference but he let it go. Lesson
Don’t be a smart ass.

Once he got about 50 feet up the walk carrying my little paper sack with three spuds in it, I turned to Rita and quietly said “Look kids, I got some nice potatoes for supper.”
Iowa Dave
Old 01-15-2023, 09:44 AM   #131
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
We will be at the rally again this year in space 405. Registered too late to get a spot on the hill, but this will work.

Regarding border crossings - We had two unfortunate border crossings this 9 months. The first was going back to the US from Osoosys and the 2022 Rally. I didn't think to check the refrigerator and other food stores for an inventory before the border. I was not familiar with everything we had. They asked us to pull the trailer over to inspect it and the border guard was not happy that we did not recall the contents of our food stores. She continually tried to get us to acknowledge that if we had non-approved produce in our trailer that we would get a fine of hundreds of dollars.

I refused to acknowledge that and repeatily said "I don't recall everything we have. If you want to give me a list of what is not allowed I'll go look and remove it. And let's be clear, I'm not trying to bring anything into the country illegally." She seemed overly proud of herself when she found an Avocado, but also seemed disappointed that it had a California sticker on it, so it was okay. So if it was okay, why didn't she just say "you are good to go"?

Sometimes they just want to be difficult. I used to see the same attitude from some new Military Police when I was in the Army. Gung-ho, John Wayne, want to arrest the world and save mankind from themselves. I know I'm going to be "Avocado Aware" from now on when crossing.

The second difficult situation, although not nearly as bad, was this past September/October, we had to go back thru Sumas to the factory for warranty work the day after we picked it up and I forgot to fill out the "Canada App" form. The border guard was not pleased and had us pull the trailer over. We then had to fill out the Canada App on my phone before they would let us cross. I also had to dump two Pears that I had purchased the night before.

Overall however, they were fairly polite and although a pain, it was not a horrible situation just time consuming. On average, I think the Canadian border guards are a bit more polite than the US guards but as long as you get through with no hassle, it does not matter much.
Old 01-15-2023, 11:40 AM   #132

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Make sure you don’t have wooden marshmallow sticks or any type of firewood with you…I will keep the story short as I have told it before.

We got pulled to the side and boarder guards wanted to check the trailer. We had to stay in the vehicle. They came out with what I thought might be an antenna whip as I am a radio guy. But no, it was wooden marshmallow sticks. I said just throw them out but it was not going to be that easy. They had to be taken inside the building and inspected by a person from agriculture.

Meanwhile the guard that was at our vehicle window ask what I had in the green garbage bags in the pickup bed. I said cut up 2x4s for the fire pit. He said great idea and must have thought they were new wood cuttings.

The marshmallow sticks were returned negative of bugs and we were on our way. Needless to say it was a “start the car” moment as the bag’s were indeed full of cut up 2x4s but from a old deck that had been sitting on the ground for the last 15 years. I can only imagine that we burned a lot of protein in the fire that night.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Old 01-15-2023, 08:13 PM   #133

How about extra gas for generator? I usually carry one gallon. I use non ethanol gas in my generator.
Old 01-15-2023, 08:33 PM   #134

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Ok finally booked

Ok I booked #8 - site not many sites left! Hopefully an ok site I usually book very early but this year wasn’t sure about going decided to go.
Old 01-15-2023, 08:36 PM   #135

I don’t believe I’ve ever been asked about extra gasoline, diesel, or propane, or white gas. I have been asked about firewood numerous times. I don’t move firewood where it’s illegal to do so and rarely at all now since we have the propane campfire in a can.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-15-2023, 08:54 PM   #136

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
Ok I booked #8 - site not many sites left! Hopefully an ok site I usually book very early but this year wasn’t sure about going decided to go.
#8 should be a good spot.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Old 01-15-2023, 08:58 PM   #137

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Great thanks
Old 01-15-2023, 09:50 PM   #138

Yes, #8 has lots going for it although you might be some rowdy types.

Ron
Old 01-15-2023, 10:21 PM   #139

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
We are in site #13. Looking forward to seeing all y'all!

Betty & Doug
Old 01-16-2023, 11:25 AM   #140

Oops, a little typo in my comment to Fox Hunt, didn't mean to infer that they might be rowdy types but that they might be near some rowdy types.

You are even closer.

Ron
Closed Thread