2021 pricing and options - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2020, 06:36 PM   #41

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
I just placed a deposit on 2021 Escape 5.0. We requested May 2021 delivery, so there is plenty of time to finalize the build. I will be following this thread closely. Not knowledgable, so mostly trying to absorb the discussion.

Overall - see some positives in 2021 options but feel that Escape is being too cautious.

Battery:
  • Very interested in LI batteries, though not yet a level to appreciate the discussion around floating vs solid. Disappointed that Escape is offering only one Li-battery of unspecified capacity. Keen to see how E finalizes the options. If they can't offer more, we will look at aftermarket options.
  • In the same context, I am not clear why one would buy 6V lead acid battery at all. I realize that just on Li-battery is not going to cut it but prefer to spend the money on an additional Li battery.
  • The inverter options come with a note: Option requires battery selection. Would the inverter work just with the LI battery (and no Dual- 6V battery)?

Compressor Fridge: Unfortunately not a listed option at all on 5.0. But, I am committed to this - and will look aftermarket, if Escape is not able to accommodate.

New Option: Composting Toilet: This is a new option. Is this an idea worth considering?
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:12 PM   #42

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That note is in the installation instructions for the top-down mounting kit, and is specific to that unusual mounting method. The instructions note:

... but this is not needed for a normal installation. In a normal installation an interior frame is inserted into the opening from below, and bolts between the interior frame and the unit clamp the unit into the roof opening, just like any other RV air conditioner.
Thank you for that correction / clarification

Revisiting my OP (#18) on the subject of the new A/C and it's electrical demands I realized I was referencing an incorrect data sheet for the current Dometic unit for my comparison

It appears that, in fact, the new 13.5K BTU unit will indeed have meaningfully higher electrical demands than the 11K BTU unit (which may bear on generator selection / support for those inclined to that power source).

With apology for the (now deleted) misinformation and thanks to Site Team (Bob) for editing my ill-considered OP on the subject.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:39 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
I just placed a deposit on 2021 Escape 5.0. We requested May 2021 delivery, so there is plenty of time to finalize the build. I will be following this thread closely. Not knowledgable, so mostly trying to absorb the discussion.

Overall - see some positives in 2021 options but feel that Escape is being too cautious.

Battery:
  • Very interested in LI batteries, though not yet a level to appreciate the discussion around floating vs solid. Disappointed that Escape is offering only one Li-battery of unspecified capacity. Keen to see how E finalizes the options. If they can't offer more, we will look at aftermarket options.
  • In the same context, I am not clear why one would buy 6V lead acid battery at all. I realize that just on Li-battery is not going to cut it but prefer to spend the money on an additional Li battery.
  • The inverter options come with a note: Option requires battery selection. Would the inverter work just with the LI battery (and no Dual- 6V battery)?

Compressor Fridge: Unfortunately not a listed option at all on 5.0. But, I am committed to this - and will look aftermarket, if Escape is not able to accommodate.

New Option: Composting Toilet: This is a new option. Is this an idea worth considering?
I have two 6v batteries in series to give the usable 100 amp hours I need. One lithium battery would give approx. the same amp hours.

Why one or the other? Two 6v batteries - $220. One lithium battery - $1000. Lithium should give twice the number of years service before requiring replacement if maintained.

You would need either of these or better to run a 1500w inverter.

Composting Toilet: You may want to read this thread before deciding on a composting toilet. https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...9-a-18369.html
Old 08-21-2020, 07:43 PM   #44

Trailer: Looking at new 21C
I wouldn’t get too detail oriented on the A/C yet. There are two different Coleman Mach 10 units. The regular 13.5k btu and the NDQ 13.5k btu units. Karl did mention they are considering the NDQ but not settled yet. If you’re counting your pennies (I.e. amps) there is a small efficiency difference With the NDQ edging out at a little over 1 amp less energy for cooling.
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:46 PM   #45

Trailer: Looking at new 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Composting Toilet: You may want to read this thread before deciding on a composting toilet. https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...9-a-18369.html
There is also a good video by The Fit RV on YouTube that goes into detail on they’re experience with one. It’s actually what finally turned us off of the idea after being all for it for the longest time.
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:52 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I have two 6v batteries in series to give the usable 100 amp hours I need. One lithium battery would give approx. the same amp hours.

Why one or the other? Two 6v batteries - $220. One lithium battery - $1000. Lithium should give twice the number of years service before requiring replacement if maintained.

You would need either of these or better to run a 1500w inverter.

Thank you very much! We are definitely going for the Lithium batteries.

I will watch the composting toilet view link you included. Also search for Fit RV on YouTube that Rlum mentioned.

To be honest - I had not heard of composting toilets in an RV before today. So, we are at the information sharing stage so far.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:17 PM   #47

So, looked up the links on the composting toilet. Seems like a really good idea, but maybe not for us. Watching one of the videos cured me of the notion, more than the very spirited debate on the thread tdf-texas linked. We will likely skip it.

One other new option in 2021 E5.0 is Tank Level Monitoring (SeeLevel II) Have to ask Escape people about it. Seems like a good item to get.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:59 AM   #48

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
totally agree. Karl, I you reading this?
I think 'equalizer' has become sort of a default name for a WDH. Many products have done this in the past. Remember 'formica', 'Scotch Tape' ?
Old 08-22-2020, 07:40 AM   #49

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
So, looked up the links on the composting toilet. Seems like a really good idea, but maybe not for us. Watching one of the videos cured me of the notion, more than the very spirited debate on the thread tdf-texas linked. We will likely skip it.

One other new option in 2021 E5.0 is Tank Level Monitoring (SeeLevel II) Have to ask Escape people about it. Seems like a good item to get.
We had a Casita prior to the Escape and the tank monitor system was the grey is full when the shower pan floods, the black tank was checked by looking down the hole. It didn't take long before we could time when a dump was needed - so many days for the grey and another number of days for the black.

I have the Horst probes on the Escape and sadly, we are back to most of the time using the Casita method of checking levels. The Horst probes are just not that reliable.

The SeaLevel probes are supposed to be better but I don't know if it's worth the extra bucks other than bragging rights. The Casita method never fails.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:10 AM   #50

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Unless things changed, the Sea Level set up has no probes. It's a strip stuck to the outside of the tank.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:28 AM   #51

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
I’ve had the Sea Level on a previous RV and it works really well on fresh and gray water tanks. The black water tank worked well when new but as it aged a film developed I guess in tank that affected the readings so it was intermittently accurate. It is a strip on the outside of the tank. If you are very diligent about keeping the black water side walls clean it should be fine I think. Whether it’s worth the extra cost? I’ll just say it’s up to the individual but I’ll probably include it on my order.
uthorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:19 AM   #52

We are likely to get that. In time, we will figure things out but our starting point is that of complete inexperience about ways and lessons of life around RVs and trailers. So, having a gauge that tells you something useful rather than green/yellow/red lights seems like a good idea.

As for the cost, I have a sneaking suspicion that this whole trailer thing (not to mention a F150) is cost a few bucks and adding this isn’t going to make much of a difference. Given our lack of handyman skills or knowledge, it seems best to get this option put together by Escape.
Old 08-26-2020, 03:08 PM   #53

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I hope it’s a dark , rich , contemporary cherry wood !!
Far away from the present black tank levels and electrical concerns (although certainly important!), I’m looking back at Steve Dunham’s vote for something warm as the third cabinetry finish option:

Strong Ditto!
Jonathan
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:44 PM   #54

Trailer: None
My guess is the new wood color option will be some sort of grey driftwood style as the manufacturer said they were looking at a light color contemporary option. I'm not a fan and would definitely prefer a more natural looking option but it is very popular right now.

Does anyone know what the flush mount oven is and why it's $1700?
Raider47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:17 PM   #55

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Bet it is a Dickinson Marine oven with cooktop. At least two Escape owners have installed. They're in that price range.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:19 PM   #56

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
I think 'equalizer' has become sort of a default name for a WDH. Many products have done this in the past. Remember 'formica', 'Scotch Tape' ?
Not commonly. The Equal-i-zer brand has been around for many years, and this mis-use of the brand name is unusual. Also, all mis-uses of brand names, even if they are common in conversation, are not acceptable in corporate communications. Yes, a person may ask another person for "scotch tape" not caring if it is actually the 3M product, but other tape manufacturers don't call their tape "Scotch".
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:21 PM   #57

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Unless things changed, the Sea Level set up has no probes. It's a strip stuck to the outside of the tank.
That's correct: Garnet's SeeLevel system always uses capacitance-based external sensors.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:37 AM   #58

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Not commonly. The Equal-i-zer brand has been around for many years, and this mis-use of the brand name is unusual. Also, all mis-uses of brand names, even if they are common in conversation, are not acceptable in corporate communications. Yes, a person may ask another person for "scotch tape" not caring if it is actually the 3M product, but other tape manufacturers don't call their tape "Scotch".
I didn't state it but 'common conservation' was what I was referring to. What we call things tends to become what it is. Obviously a mfg would not refer to their product by another's name.

I was at my favorite RV dealer in Corpus Christi last month with my old Holiday Rambler and saw a wdh setup I hadn't seen before. Pro something or other but to him it was an equalizer wdh.

"Makes my front load equal to my back load". I didn't pursue that with him.

Edit. It was a ProPride and a really neat looking setup. He said it was $1800.00 or so.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:38 AM   #59

Trailer: In the market for a 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider47 View Post
My guess is the new wood color option will be some sort of grey driftwood style as the manufacturer said they were looking at a light color contemporary option. I'm not a fan and would definitely prefer a more natural looking option but it is very popular right now.

Does anyone know what the flush mount oven is and why it's $1700?
I'm not a fan of the driftwood option either. Bigfoot and Northern Lite are already doing that. I'd prefer a white/cream tone cabinet to really lighten things up.
TurtleBunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 12:38 PM   #60

Trailer: 2019 NoBo
Looks like there is going to be a livestream tonight at 5PM PST in regards to more 2021 information.
brtnstrns is offline   Reply With Quote