Upgrading from vintage trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2022, 11:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 82 Burro
Upgrading from vintage trailer

Hi all!

We just put a deposit down for either a 17B or 19. That will be the topic of our lives for the next 18 months. We are a family of 4 with boys 9 and 11. Our first and current trailer is a 13 foot 1982 Burro (picture below). We love it but are using the Escape production lead time to our advantage - in 1-2 years we will definitely grow out of our Burro. We look forward to a bathroom, a bed that can fit us (current 48” is too small), and much more.

As a Canadian living in Seattle I’m also super happy to support a local business (local defined as within 150 miles)!

Already using this site to understand options and trade offs. Thanks in advance!

Hani
Attached Thumbnails
719D6F10-0B2C-4A4F-8466-24B0B9716F81.jpg  
hshakeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Even if the boys sleep in a tent, I think the 19 is the better choice.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:36 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Even if the boys sleep in a tent, I think the 19 is the better choice.
Significant space and convenience improvement with a 19'.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:55 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
We moved on from a 13’ Trillium to a 15’Trillium, both vintage to a used 19’ escape and have been super satisfied. The queen bed is worth the price of admission and even though it is just my wife and I we love the space. We looked at a 17b but are so glad we held out for a nineteen.
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:57 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Welcome Reid, to our little Escape world......
Old 01-24-2022, 10:51 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 19" Escape
My wife and I considered the 17b and 19 Escape and ended up with the 19. With a growing family of 4 I would highly recommend the 19 Escape.
lonewolfjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:01 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Welcome to the forum. That's a handsome looking Burro!

Judging by the picture of your setup, you already have a good understanding of what it takes to enjoy trailer camping. That experience will be helpful in choosing your next trailer.

Similarly, my wife and I had first a teardrop trailer and then a Casita over the course of a few years. When it came time to upsize from the Casita, we figured our experience would definitely help us to evaluate our options.

After a careful study, on paper, (meaning the internet), we were confident we would choose either the 5.0 or the 19. But, taking a trip to the Escape showroom in Chilliwack made it clear that the 21 was actually the best choice for us.

So, I hope you will take time to see the trailers in person and spend time evaluating what will be the best fit for you and the family.
Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:01 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I can not make up my mind, a E19, then when the E21 first came out, I got one, then back to E19 then back to E21 and now, back to E19!!! Thankfully, used Escapes are easily sold here on the forum.......
Old 01-25-2022, 04:36 AM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
We had a 1977 Trillium with front bunks. It worked great when the kids were young. We saw a 2007 Escape 17B come up for sale, thought we could make it work, the kids ended up in the tent or the truck.

For a family, the 19 is the minimum. Think of all your clothes and other gear. The 17B is a couples trailer.
Old 01-25-2022, 03:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Welcome to the forum. That's a handsome looking Burro!

Judging by the picture of your setup, you already have a good understanding of what it takes to enjoy trailer camping. That experience will be helpful in choosing your next trailer.

Similarly, my wife and I had first a teardrop trailer and then a Casita over the course of a few years. When it came time to upsize from the Casita, we figured our experience would definitely help us to evaluate our options.

After a careful study, on paper, (meaning the internet), we were confident we would choose either the 5.0 or the 19. But, taking a trip to the Escape showroom in Chilliwack made it clear that the 21 was actually the best choice for us.

So, I hope you will take time to see the trailers in person and spend time evaluating what will be the best fit for you and the family.
That is the plan. Indeed we have learned a lot from having had a small trailer. Thank you!
Old 01-25-2022, 03:34 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Vintage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshakeel View Post
That is the plan. Indeed we have learned a lot from having had a small trailer. Thank you!
Hi: hshakeel... Welcome to the forum. My idea of a "Vintage" trailer is a classic 5.0TA. You can always change the tug. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030879.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:48 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I loved our Burro, despite me always forced to be sleeping in it in the fetal position.
Attached Thumbnails
BurroRockyMt.jpg  
Old 01-27-2022, 12:45 AM   #13
GPS

Trailer: 17A 2021
I view it as a toilet no toilet choice between the 17a n 19. The 17a has a wider table n thus a wider second bed then the 19. We like the big table for our family of 4 and don't want a bathroom inside. The Springfield makes the bed set up a breeze. We cook outside. I also like towing a smaller, lighter trailer. So it is all about personal preference. But yes, if its a bathroom you want with a family of 4 then i also would lean 19.
GPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 04:44 AM   #14

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPS View Post
I view it as a toilet no toilet choice between the 17a n 19. The 17a has a wider table n thus a wider second bed then the 19. We like the big table for our family of 4 and don't want a bathroom inside. The Springfield makes the bed set up a breeze. We cook outside. I also like towing a smaller, lighter trailer. So it is all about personal preference. But yes, if its a bathroom you want with a family of 4 then i also would lean 19.

After upgrading from the Trillium 4500 15', I had my heart set on a 17A. We found a 17B. After having a bathroom, I would never go without it again. On a 10,000km trip cross country, we saw some really disgusting public washrooms. At first I tried not to use the trailer to keep the tanks empty, now I won't use public washrooms at all.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:30 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
After upgrading from the Trillium 4500 15', I had my heart set on a 17A. We found a 17B. After having a bathroom, I would never go without it again. On a 10,000km trip cross country, we saw some really disgusting public washrooms. At first I tried not to use the trailer to keep the tanks empty, now I won't use public washrooms at all.
You're not the only one that's come to this conclusion. When I was shopping for my first all-molded towable, waaaay back in year 2000, I thought small (13') and no bathroom. Couldn't find one, but did come across a 16' WITH a bathroom. I'm now on my second all-molded towable and I'll never, ever be without a bathroom. Granted I'm 22 years older now that when I bought that first trailer and those middle of the night trips are happening, but still... I'll always have a clean, usable bathroom no matter where I camp/tow.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 12:18 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 17B
Hi! We are a family of four in Seattle and have a 17B. We’ve had it for almost 4 years and have taken a lot of trips in it. Feel free to message me to connect, and I’d be happy to show you our trailer and talk about pros/cons for us. One big difference is the bunk beds: 17B has gaucho bunks and 19 has a cot. The 17B is more compact, which we like because we park it in our driveway and drive on narrow residential streets, but obviously the 19 has more space inside. I often wish we had the footprint of the 17B but with a slide out so we had more aisle space inside for moving around each other.
Jon & Adrienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 12:48 PM   #17
Red

Trailer: 2018 19 ft Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by hshakeel View Post
Hi all!

We just put a deposit down for either a 17B or 19. That will be the topic of our lives for the next 18 months.
You are now infected by two footitis. The cure is directly related to the size of your wallet and tow vehicle. The prognosis for your family is many years of happy times. Welcome to the Escape family.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 12:48 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon & Adrienne View Post
I often wish we had the footprint of the 17B but with a slide out so we had more aisle space inside for moving around each other.
Careful what you wish for. My nephew waited two days for a mobile mechanic because he couldn't fully open or close the slide-out on his sticky. Had to crawl over furniture to reach the bathroom. Wasn't a cheap fix either.
Old 02-02-2022, 12:57 PM   #19

Thank you! If the stars align we will visit the Escape showroom in a few weeks to see both. Will message you directly after that if needed.
Old 02-02-2022, 11:27 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21'
Go as big as you can tow!

We are a family of 4 (kids are about the same age) that went from a 17’ Casita to a 21’ Escape. You may need a different tow vehicle for the 21’ but I think you will really appreciate the space with growing children. This is especially true if the kids become teens and plan to keep sleeping inside the trailer and not in a tent.

When our kids were young and it rained, even the 17’ was tight because we were all on top of each other. Now when it rains, we can set up the table and sit around or lounge on the permanent bed… or do both! There’s more space overall and we can comfortably get past each other between the kitchen and the fridge. Couldn’t squeeze by the bunk beds and the stove in the Casita!

Hats off to you for camping as a family of 4 in a 13’ trailer! I don’t think I would’ve survived one family camping trip.
ofamily is offline   Reply With Quote