Canadian dollar vs USD - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2022, 10:21 AM   #1

Trailer: TBD 21NE
Canadian dollar vs USD

There is a big delta between the USD and the CAD, with the advantage to USD. Can we order and pay for a trailer in CAD? or have they adjusted the CAD price to reflect dollar flux?
Kags1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 10:25 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
If you live in the USA, the trailer will be delivered in the USA and NO you can't pay in CAD.

Adjusted is subjective.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 11:57 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If you live in the USA, the trailer will be delivered in the USA and NO you can't pay in CAD.

Adjusted is subjective.
Awe the good old days when you could pay in CAD, saved a lot of money on my 2017 19 foot.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 05:14 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by diannelgraham View Post
Awe the good old days when you could pay in CAD, saved a lot of money on my 2017 19 foot.
Yeah, my 2014 too. I remember sitting in Tammy's office when she call their bank to get THAT day's exchange rate. It was 86 to 1 when I bought, but has been as low as 73 to 1.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 06:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yeah, my 2014 too. I remember sitting in Tammy's office when she call their bank to get THAT day's exchange rate. It was 86 to 1 when I bought, but has been as low as 73 to 1.
I wish. Jan. 2002 61.79 cents would get you a Canadian buck.

I liked it better when I was a kid. My Grandma's chicken farm was a mile from the border. We'd cross over and buy an ice cream cone. Didn't cost as much because, gasp, hard to believe, but the Canadian buck was worth $1.05US then.

We'll never see those days again.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 07:56 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by diannelgraham View Post
Same with our 2017 21 foot. We paid 76 cents per Canadian dollar.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 01:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The difference in currencies does not imply any difference in cost to the buyer. ETI now sets different prices for the Canadian and U.S. markets, each in the appropriate currency, and the customer pays in the currency of their country. The actual cost could be higher in either country, depending entirely on how they set those prices.

A US resident doesn't have the option to pay the Canadian price, just as I don't have the option to buy any product from any company here at the US price. If you haven't experienced this before... welcome to the real world.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 02:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
A US resident doesn't have the option to pay the Canadian price, just as I don't have the option to buy any product from any company here at the US price. If you haven't experienced this before... welcome to the real world.
Sorry, but that's inaccurate. In the real world, if a Canadian were to buy something from most any US firm or US seller, the Canadian would be quoted a price in US dollars. He would either convert the currency himself or it would be done for him by some means.
The same should be true vice versa. When a US resident buys from Canada, most places would offer their product priced in Canada dollars. That is the "real world." To my knowledge, ETI is an oddball exception.
Old 10-27-2022, 03:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Sorry, but that's inaccurate. In the real world, if a Canadian were to buy something from most any US firm or US seller, the Canadian would be quoted a price in US dollars. He would either convert the currency himself or it would be done for him by some means.
The same should be true vice versa. When a US resident buys from Canada, most places would offer their product priced in Canada dollars. That is the "real world." To my knowledge, ETI is an oddball exception.
ETI is selling the trailer to US residents from Sumas, WA (or other point of delivery), not from Chilliwack, BC. U.S. buyers do not have the option to pick up their trailer at the Escape Factory. They can go see it in Chilliwack, but, they can't take delivery there. If they insisted on buying the trailer like a Canadian and picking it up in Chilliwack they would be responsible for paying the additional BC (12%?) and Canadian (5%?) taxes that they avoid by buying in Sumas, WA. I'm guessing that 17%? would eat up any difference in U.S. and Canadian pricing.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 03:59 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
ETI has decided to make more profit per unit (substantially more) with US buyers than they do with Canadian buyers. Simple as that. If you're a US buyer, you have to decide for yourself whether that 4-5K premium is fair. It's their business. They can run it as they see fit.
Old 10-27-2022, 05:40 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
ETI is selling the trailer to US residents from Sumas, WA (or other point of delivery), not from Chilliwack, BC. U.S. buyers do not have the option to pick up their trailer at the Escape Factory. They can go see it in Chilliwack, but, they can't take delivery there. If they insisted on buying the trailer like a Canadian and picking it up in Chilliwack they would be responsible for paying the additional BC (12%?) and Canadian (5%?) taxes that they avoid by buying in Sumas, WA. I'm guessing that 17%? would eat up any difference in U.S. and Canadian pricing.

Actually it's 7% Provincial and 5% Federal for a total of 12%. But that's still too high in my opinion.
Old 10-27-2022, 06:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
Actually it's 7% Provincial and 5% Federal for a total of 12%. But that's still too high in my opinion.
Thanks for the clarification. I'm pretty sure if I paid the 5% more in sales tax for you (ours is about 7%) and you paid for my health insurance, I'd come out the winner.
Old 10-27-2022, 09:58 PM   #13

Trailer: 2012 E19
I think I'd be paying just 3.5% tax in my state when I buy a trailer, so point taken. However, is ETI including CA and province taxes in their Canadian sales price, are they? Or do you northern neighbors pay the ETI price plus the taxes? Just asking for clarification.
Old 10-28-2022, 12:05 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Quote:
I think I'd be paying just 3.5% tax in my state when I buy a trailer, so point taken. However, is ETI including CA and province taxes in their Canadian sales price, are they? Or do you northern neighbors pay the ETI price plus the taxes? Just asking for clarification.
In Canada we all pay the 5% GST (federal) and whatever your provincial tax is on top of the price.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 07:37 AM   #15

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I liked it better when I was a kid. My Grandma's chicken farm was a mile from the border. We'd cross over and buy an ice cream cone. Didn't cost as much because, gasp, hard to believe, but the Canadian buck was worth $1.05US then.

We'll never see those days again.

Ron
Never say never! I purchased a brand new 2008 Subaru Outback in Maine in the fall of 2007 and imported it to Canada with the Canadian dollar at $1.02 US
This was after the financial crisis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangstyle View Post
In Canada we all pay the 5% GST (federal) and whatever your provincial tax is on top of the price.
Here in the Maritimes the combined Fed/Prov sales tax is 15% !!
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 08:53 AM   #16

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
I had no problem paying Minnesota's approx 7% sales tax on our new 5.0 in 2018. I appreciate the quality of life we have in Minnesota.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-28-2022, 09:25 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
IIRC- Reace & Tammy came up with the idea to export the trailers to Sumas so U.S. buyers didn't have to pay Canadian taxes then go through the paperwork for a refund later.
Old 10-28-2022, 09:27 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
IIRC- Reace & Tammy came up with the idea to export the trailers to Sumas so U.S. buyers didn't have to pay Canadian taxes then go through the paperwork for a refund later.
Saved me a lot of time from dealing with the bureaucrats.....
Old 10-29-2022, 09:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
To my knowledge you can no longer get a refund on Canadian taxes if the item is purchased for your personal use. The previous general tax rebate was replaced by one that is more limited.

GST/HST rebates
Old 11-02-2022, 08:17 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
That is not true. If the product is shipped from the U.S., the purchase is often treated as a purchase in the U.S. - priced in USD - but that is not the case where the company has U.S. and Canadian distribution... and when that is done the buyer is responsible for the importation (brokerage costs, and any regulatory requirements).

Try buying any part of any brand of automobile, or the automobile itself, or anything sold by any major retailer with a presence in both countries (Walmart, for example), and you'll see that prices for the two markets are independent and the buyer cannot choose which price they want to pay.

The most relevant example, outside of RVs, would be those automobiles. No, I can't buy a car from any manufacturer at the U.S. price and have them ship it to me in Canada. One thing that automobiles and Escapes have in common is that they are vehicles subject to importation requirements.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote