Sales Tax - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2022, 09:26 PM   #61

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
The thing is there are a lot of counterfeit cashier's checks so any prudent business doesn't treat them any different from a personal check.
True but for personal transactions they are pretty low risk if one uses some common sense. Most of the scams are internet based where you never meet and the “buyer” makes it out for more and tries to get you to send the “overage” back. We met in-person and it’s a lot easier to use discretion. This was a husband and wife, legitimate address in a nice town (verified from online tax record search), second home owners, business card with legitimate company that matched graphics on truck, etc. Everything added up. The check was made out to me in the exact amount from a prominent local bank with obvious security measures that would be tough to fake. I wasn’t worried one bit and even if it was fake I know where they live.
Old 03-12-2022, 10:41 PM   #62

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
ETI indicated to me they would treat a cashiers check differently than a personal check. Also cashiers checks are free to me, wires are not.
Personal checks were not an option offered by ETI. We had to choose between
  • Wire Transfer (WT)
  • Cashier’s Check, Bank Draft, etc. from your bank and sent to us via courier of FedEx or UPS so it’s guaranteed to get here in time. We don’t suggest to use the postal service as it can take over a month.

We had to pay ETI $17.50 to accept the Wire Transfer. That was cheaper than FedEx/UPS $50+. There was no fee from our financial institution for any of the options. So, it was cheaper to wire the money than to pay $50+ to FedEx.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 11:11 PM   #63

Trailer: 2022 21C, our second Escape
We paid by personal check for our Escape just recently. It had to be sent plenty early so that it cleared two months before completion date. I think it’s the only payment method that doesn’t incur extra fees.
Small but Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 11:13 PM   #64

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small but Sweet View Post
We paid by personal check for our Escape just recently. It had to be sent plenty early so that it cleared two months before completion date. I think it’s the only payment method that doesn’t incur extra fees.
Is that what ETI told you: two months?
Old 03-13-2022, 08:02 AM   #65

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Yup. Confused.

In a 'cashier's check' the bank takes your money, and then the bank pays the vendor. Your account is debited when the check is issued, not when it is cashed. This is why the check can't bounce. You already paid the bank, and presumably the bank is solvent.

As the world has learned, the check can still be forged. Which is why companies being paid with cashiers checks are still now taking additional steps to ensure the check is real. That's as simple as contacting the bank that issued it.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 08:51 AM   #66

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I’m not sure what the precedence of a foreign company being required to collection US states sales tax. Seems like there would have to be a full US based subsidiary of the company to legally do this. Especially with the hodgepodge of state taxes on motor vehicle registration and fees. Seems like a labyrinth of confusion. For instance in Ohio when one buys an out of state vehicle you pay taxes at the time of title and after an out of state vin inspection, they will not issue one without that inspection. I bought a few vehicle out of state, no requirement to pay state sales tax in advance because you can’t title in the state without paying the taxes. I do know there are avoidance schemes of registration in states that owners don’t reside in to avoid sales tax. The legal question now is Escape a manufacturer, a dealer or both? Are the subject to US dealer laws and recalls? Seems not. Bigfoot has dealers in the US. Legally it’s much simpler now. Me I just pay my taxes and live life.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 09:03 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small but Sweet View Post
Thank you! That makes sense. It never occurred to us early on. When the details were presented, there was no time and it was not offered. Had we known the full set of options, we’d have sent a personal check, not even for the fees but to minimize the hassle. I had to endure a boring conversation with my financial institution trying to make sure I was of a sane mind, not sending an international wire transfer to a swindler and understood that it was irreversible!
Old 03-13-2022, 10:19 AM   #68

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I must really appear fragile as I get questioned when I transfer $500 into my checking.
They ask me if im planning to make a major purchase. I tell them no, i am just headed to the liquor store.
Just kidding. My credit union is very good and has asked me about fund transfers a couple times and I always tell them I appreciate it.
I had some lumber delivered to the house by my local lumber yard. I asked the driver if he needed a check for it. He said no he’d probably just loose the check. On the ticket was a note from the owner thanking me for my patronage and “you can stop in and settle up when you’re in town, no hurry.” That’s my kind of business.
It’s sad that there is so much dishonesty and mistrust in the world today. Maybe there always has been?
Iowa Dave
Old 03-13-2022, 10:44 AM   #69

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
For folks considering the option of sending a cashier's check via USPS or private courier (FedEx, etc) I suggest that you
  • Ask the delivery service what happens if your package is lost by them (will you ever receive reimbursement for the full value of the check in that package and if yes how long will that take?)
  • Ask your bank what happens if the physical cashier's check is lost (again, will you ever receive reimbursement for the full value of the check and if yes how long will that take?)
You might be surprised at the answers and be motivated to re-think the risk for you of using that method of transferring funds (compare that risk to the option of bank-to-bank international wire transfer to a known entity).

Of course, if you've got confidence commensurate with the amount of the cashier's check that the USPS or FedEx has never lost a package, that's all moot.

Just for your consideration, Have Fun!
Old 03-13-2022, 10:49 AM   #70

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Which one of these guys has an honest face......
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1272 2.JPG  
Old 03-13-2022, 11:35 AM   #71

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Honesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Which one of these guys has an honest face......
Who would you trust? A tax man or an obscure facts man. Or both or………neither one!
My money is on ……..Rita and Noelia
Iowa Dave
Old 03-13-2022, 11:51 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
For folks considering the option of sending a cashier's check via USPS or private courier (FedEx, etc) I suggest that you
  • Ask the delivery service what happens if your package is lost by them (will you ever receive reimbursement for the full value of the check in that package and if yes how long will that take?)
  • Ask your bank what happens if the physical cashier's check is lost (again, will you ever receive reimbursement for the full value of the check and if yes how long will that take?)
You might be surprised at the answers and be motivated to re-think the risk for you of using that method of transferring funds (compare that risk to the option of bank-to-bank international wire transfer to a known entity).

Of course, if you've got confidence commensurate with the amount of the cashier's check that the USPS or FedEx has never lost a package, that's all moot.

Just for your consideration, Have Fun!
Thank you! I feel the same way and would not be too keen to put a cashier's check or bearer bond for $40,000+ into a FexEx envelope. The risk is just too big for me.

PS: Your FedEx envelope to Canada is insured for a set amount.
FedEx Customs Value (CAD$) FedEx Ground CEF List Rate
$500.01–$1,000 $50.75
$1,000.01–$1,600 $60.10
$1,600.01–$2,500 $70.00
>$2,500 $6.03 for each additional $1,000.

So, to insure a US$40,000 or equivalent CAD 50,000 value, you'd need to pay $70 + 6.03 * 47500 to FedEx for shipping if you want full coverage!

That being excessive - you bear the risk if it is stolen. Of course, you need to notify the bank, get another check by signing the indemnity bond but you ultimately bear the risk.

So, the wire transfer should be evaluated in that context.
Old 03-13-2022, 12:27 PM   #73

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post

I have never wired or mailed $40k+ to a company out of the country before, I’d like to feel more secure about the payment.
That reminds me of a funny incident years ago when I was manufacturing a high value machine that fit in a box about 2' square. A Florida resident was reluctant to prepay because I was "up in Canada". "How do I know you won't just send me a box of rocks?" Yup, us Canadians are a shifty bunch.

Glad I was't concerned, after some due diligence, about buying a yacht, that cost a tad more than an Escape, and was stored in Greece from an owner residing in England.

There's nothing new about folks in the US paying for their trailer before it's exported to the US. ETI has a solid track record and there's never been a case of folks not getting the trailer that they've paid for. Different folks seem to use many different ways to pay but that's on you, not ETI.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 12:32 PM   #74
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
There's nothing new about folks in the US paying for their trailer before it's exported to the US. ETI has a solid track record and there's never been a case of folks not getting the trailer that they've paid for. Different folks seem to use many different ways to pay but that's on you, not ETI.

Ron
I completely paid for my trailer before the first trailer of a brand new model was even off the line. Picked mine up three months after I made the last payment.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 01:24 PM   #75

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
My local bank would not do an international wire. My national bank where I stash some money while traveling is a long drive and wanted more for the wire.
Old 03-13-2022, 02:20 PM   #76

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
The legal question now is Escape a manufacturer, a dealer or both?
The manufacturer is not a dealer, even it if sells directly to the customer (as ETI does). Although all sorts of vehicles (cars, RVs, etc) are usually sold through dealers, a manufacturer can sell directly - examples include Scamp and Casita trailers, and Tesla cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Are the subject to US dealer laws and recalls? Seems not.
Yes, of course, any party selling a product in the U.S. is subject to U.S. regulations, including handling of vehicle recalls. Companies based outside of Canada collect Canada's federal sales tax (called "GST") for sales in Canada; this is a similar situation in the other direction. If being legally based outside of the U.S. effectively bypassed U.S. regulations, lots of companies would be conveniently based in other countries, just as they currently register ships under "flags of convenience" and keep money in financial institutions in places such as the Cayman Islands. There's no dodging regulations here - ETI sells trailers to U.S. customers in the U.S. and is apparently responding to various state inquiries regarding those sales, as a U.S. based company would.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 02:56 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The manufacturer is not a dealer, even it if sells directly to the customer (as ETI does). Although all sorts of vehicles (cars, RVs, etc) are usually sold through dealers, a manufacturer can sell directly - examples include Scamp and Casita trailers, and Tesla cars.

Yes, of course, any party selling a product in the U.S. is subject to U.S. regulations, including handling of vehicle recalls. Companies based outside of Canada collect Canada's federal sales tax (called "GST") for sales in Canada; this is a similar situation in the other direction. If being legally based outside of the U.S. effectively bypassed U.S. regulations, lots of companies would be conveniently based in other countries, just as they currently register ships under "flags of convenience" and keep money in financial institutions in places such as the Cayman Islands. There's no dodging regulations here - ETI sells trailers to U.S. customers in the U.S. and is apparently responding to various state inquiries regarding those sales, as a U.S. based company would.
Very sensible and informative, as usual.

Is the location of the transaction relevant in this conversation? If ETI, based in Canada, sells its campers in CA, the nationality of the buyer seems irrelevant and it should only need to meet its obligation under the Canadian law. The buyer's post-purchase decision to move the camper to the US should not obligate ETI to conform to the US state tax requirements.
Old 03-13-2022, 03:16 PM   #78

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
The buyer's post-purchase decision to move the camper to the US should not obligate ETI to conform to the US state tax requirements.
I don't think that's exactly the situation. The buyer isn't making a post purchase decision to move the trailer to the US.

They're making a purchase decision based on buying an exported trailer that they will take delivery of in the US.

It all depends on ETI being able to export their trailers using a customs broker. I can tell you from experience if some squeaks and utterances come from sources in the US that the brokerage or the government maybe might have to change the import rules. I can see how state pressure, from states realizing that they may be missing out on collecting taxes, may put the pressure on the federal government to change the import rules if manufacturers like ETI don't provide the requested info.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 03:47 PM   #79

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I do not see Escape Trailers being in the equation. Just like any other auto manufacturer, what you do after purchase is not their business. It is up to each state to enforce their own laws, you need a title to register your Escape in order to obtain a plate, or transfer an existing plate. If you park it and do not need a plate, no issue, but if you ever want to sell, you need a title in your name.
Old 03-13-2022, 03:52 PM   #80

Trailer: 2022 21C, our second Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Is that what ETI told you: two months?
Yes! Personal check had to be sent early enough to have cleared two months before the actual sale per ETI finance office rules.
Small but Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote