fresh water fill from jug - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2019, 12:26 AM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I will likely be doing similar in time, just putting in the effort to put it off as long as possible.
I hear you ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:34 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
Quote:
We use the Reliance Aqua-Tainer, at 26 litres, or 7 US gallons. Lisa holds a funnel in the water fill spout and I just lift it and slowly dump it in. Fortunately I am still fairly young (62 soon) and can do this easily still. Besides, a good workout is always fun to do, but as I get older I may have to find an aid.
I have two 7-gallon Aqua-Tainers and use a funnel as well. But I am usually by myself and (lightly) tape the funnel to the trailer. I am "around Jim's age". When it's been a long tiring day and I'm not up to holding 50 plus pounds of water, I empty it into a pitcher multiple times and pour from there until the big container ain't so heavy.

I consider this and using a manual tongue jack a good workout. I tried Eric's method with a short tube attached to the Aqua-Tainer cap but for me that seemed to require three hands to hold the heavy container and keep the tube in the opening. I do fill both containers almost full since I'm getting water from friends' house a 15-minute drive from my property. The extra 14 gallons gets me through a week there with enough showers in the summer.
Attached Thumbnails
water.jpg  
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:57 AM   #23

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Good and simple Bill

I screwed my winterizing tee valve directly into the tank. Now I can draw antifreeze or extra fresh water.
If you need more how to information, you can find it here: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post266446
I really like this. As I've said before this is the functional equivalent of Oliver's rear water inlet, but without the ability to also fill the fresh tank (after flipping valves inside). I've been brainstorming a way to add an inlet on the exterior side of the trailer that could be connected to a container and use the inside pump to either pressurize the water system or fill the fresh tank. This is to eliminate the need to lift and hold containers or worry about an external transfer pump (which I can't seem to keep working). I may just replicate your idea or just replace the Wayne PC2 transfer pump with a Shurflo 4008 that exactly matches the onboard pump to have a spare in case of failure.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:17 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I have the same Reliant jug and struggle with it, usually making a mess, so I like this idea. But I'll put it off until I can't pick the thing up and hold it. I'm guessing that will be about the same time I will have to replace my manual tongue jack with an electric one.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:52 AM   #25

Trailer: 505 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
The jug is one of those collapsible ones you can buy at almost any camping supply store. I think it's made by Colman. I bought mine at our local "Canadian Tire Store" . But I guess you don't have them down there. It comes with a round spigot and I just went to a local hardware store and bought a lenght of clear tubing whose inside diameter matched the outside diameter of the spigot.
What I like about this setup is the jug collapses when not in use and so takes up alot less space.
Thank you. I'll go with the collapsible too. Found a bunch on amazon last night.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:52 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300
No winterizing need

We stopped using the water tank in our rig. Just carry a couple one gallon juice jugs. When one is used, we fill the other one from a water dispenser at most food stores. Eliminates the winterizing need.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:55 PM   #27

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm surprised so many are pouring water into the tank. I tried that once and decided there had to be a better way. I move our portable lightweight table over to the fill side and with the water jug on the table let the siphon do all the work. Drop the siphon into the jug, shake it a few times and a couple minutes later the jug is empty and tank is topped off.

https://safetysiphon.net

I've also gone to very collapsable jugs that will fold up and be stored with the siphon in very little space. One full season using the jugs with no issues. I'm using a couple 5 gallon versions.

https://www.smartbottleinc.com/index.html
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:28 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
I'm surprised so many are pouring water into the tank. I tried that once and decided there had to be a better way. I move our portable lightweight table over to the fill side and with the water jug on the table let the siphon do all the work. Drop the siphon into the jug, shake it a few times and a couple minutes later the jug is empty and tank is topped off.

https://safetysiphon.net

I've also gone to very collapsable jugs that will fold up and be stored with the siphon in very little space. One full season using the jugs with no issues. I'm using a couple 5 gallon versions.

https://www.smartbottleinc.com/index.html
Some of us just aren't that smart I guess. That's a seriously nifty siphon though and I'm ordering one right now!
Forty pounds of water in a plastic bag is scary to me!
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:30 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
A lot better than the suck and spit method i grew up with.....
Old 11-20-2019, 06:00 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Sipherooonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
A lot better than the suck and spit method i grew up with.....
Yeah, but your worry was having gasoline breath when you picked up that Iowa farm girl with the freshly filled Mustang. Course she might have had diesel tractor fuel breath and braces and a sparky kiss could have been a disaster.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-20-2019, 06:22 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
That's a cool siphon Mike. Thanks for posting that.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:30 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
As a solo traveler that often fills my fresh water tank using a hose, I'd love to see an adapter that has a female hose thread (to attach to the hose) mated to a replacement for the cap for the fresh water fill.

I can't count the number of times the water valve is too far away from the trailer to turn it on AND hold the end of the hose in the filler hole. I suspect I could purchase a replacement cap & make one, but haven't done it yet.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:35 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
What about getting that cheap device intended to clean out the hot water tank? Maybe just hack the end off of it and insert into the fresh water fill.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:50 PM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
As a solo traveler that often fills my fresh water tank using a hose, I'd love to see an adapter that has a female hose thread (to attach to the hose) mated to a replacement for the cap for the fresh water fill.

I can't count the number of times the water valve is too far away from the trailer to turn it on AND hold the end of the hose in the filler hole. I suspect I could purchase a replacement cap & make one, but haven't done it yet.
I use one of these. Water doesn't flow into the tank until I turn on the valve.
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:35 PM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
That will work!
Old 11-20-2019, 07:40 PM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
I'm surprised so many are pouring water into the tank.
I actually enjoy doing it and the little bit of exercise it gives me. Fortunately, I my wife does hold the funnel otherwise I would have to make a way for it to be held. After all, 7 of those wee US gallons weighs less than 60 lbs.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:48 PM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
We stopped using the water tank in our rig. Just carry a couple one gallon juice jugs. When one is used, we fill the other one from a water dispenser at most food stores. Eliminates the winterizing need.
so no hot water, no showers, no toilet flushing ? why do you even have a trailer ?
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:59 PM   #38

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I really like this. As I've said before this is the functional equivalent of Oliver's rear water inlet, but without the ability to also fill the fresh tank (after flipping valves inside). I've been brainstorming a way to add an inlet on the exterior side of the trailer that could be connected to a container and use the inside pump to either pressurize the water system or fill the fresh tank. This is to eliminate the need to lift and hold containers or worry about an external transfer pump (which I can't seem to keep working). I may just replicate your idea or just replace the Wayne PC2 transfer pump with a Shurflo 4008 that exactly matches the onboard pump to have a spare in case of failure.
I wonder if you could connect the winterizing line to the fresh tank overflow with a valve in between? Gravity would send the water from the overflow into the tank I would think. Not sure how your trailer is configured but my overflow tube is within 6 inches from the winterizing line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I also use that, and they are cheap enough and handy that I bought another one that I keep in the garage for filling the tank at home so I don't have to worry about putting it back in the trailer after filling the tank before a trip.

Quote:
I actually enjoy doing it and the little bit of exercise it gives me. Fortunately, I my wife does hold the funnel otherwise I would have to make a way for it to be held. After all, 7 of those wee US gallons weighs less than 60 lbs.
I totally see that, and I was enjoying it too, until I realized that due to spillage I need to get another jug full.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:00 PM   #39

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
The usual solution for that, which is not specific to the fresh water fill cap, is a tank filling adapter. The hose stub just goes down the filler neck and stays in place, especially if there is an elbow before the hose fitting; it's worth using just for the elbow.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:43 AM   #40

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Warning, I have used that Camco water filler and the plastic hose came off and jammed inside the trailer hose. Took me and a bunch of skinny kids fingers to finally retrieve it before it went down into the tank.....