Alaska 2025 - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2023, 02:43 AM   #61

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
Talkeetna has a nice train trip up to Hurricane Gulch and back daily except Tuesday and Wednesday. The depot is a short walk from the only large rv park in town.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 06:05 AM   #62

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I finally have dependable WIFI!!! So, time to start this thread.

I've been talking to individuals about going to Alaska the summer of 2025. It's time to start planning. We have about 10 months before we would need to start making reservations which everyone would do individually.

So far, I've got two couples and two solos interested. Anyone else?

I've ordered the magazine Milepost and it will be here next Monday and I've joined the Facebook group "RVing to Alaska - the Original." There are several Alaska-focused Facebook groups. I'm hoping we can cover all or most of the groups because the more information the better!

Let's start the discussion....
Donna: Do you mean to go up in two summers from now (2025) or next summer (2024)?
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 07:43 AM   #63

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeBoulder View Post
Donna: Do you mean to go up in two summers from now (2025) or next summer (2024)?
It's "the summer of 2025". So, 2 summers from now.
Old 07-08-2023, 08:17 AM   #64
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by akmacs View Post
Talkeetna has a nice train trip up to Hurricane Gulch and back daily except Tuesday and Wednesday. The depot is a short walk from the only large rv park in town.
THANKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
It's "the summer of 2025". So, 2 summers from now.
Got it!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 05:06 PM   #65

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Alaska and the Rally in the Valley are two things I would really like to experience. Have only seen Alaska from a cruise ship and a flying trip many years ago with a friend taking his dogs to the Iditarod (in winter!), it would be great to take some time and look around.

Given that it is two years away, and our ages and the DW reluctance to take long trips any more we will just monitor this thread and make a final decision closer to departure. May still make some necessary reservations, and if we cannot go just give them away.

More than happy to help with planning if you want to delegate something.
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 06:04 PM   #66

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

I do have a bit of concern with too large of a group and love the idea of travelling as a group of 2 or 4 trailers. Maybe if there ends up being an overall itinerary planned, folks could just hook up when they could. Some may want more time in some places.
This situation reminds of some tours that are headed by a big name celebrity that gets all sorts of extra folks because of the person leading it.

I suspect that this event, with Donna D being a rock star in the RV world, will also end up mushrooming into large numbers.

I've witnessed a lot of caravans and seen that even 10 units moving in lockstep can be somewhat hindered by everyone trying to get fuel etc. at the same time, not to mention that some folks simply don't move and act the same way that you'd prefer. Rate of progress becomes that of the lowest common denominator.

In our early days of travelling we soon tired of making arrangements that involved lot's of other folks being somewhere at a certain time and place. What works for us is to let other know we're heading in a certain direction at a certain time. If the others manage to get their act together then that's great. We've found that even without pre-made plans that when you get a number of folks all heading in the same direction it's amazing how you keep crossing paths, even without deliberate plans.

Good luck Caravan Leader Donna

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 06:35 PM   #67

Trailer: 2022 5.0
Alaska 2025

We are interested in the Alaska trip. Will also be at Quartzite in January. Perhaps you could get a group together to discuss in person there?
Longhorn23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 06:38 PM   #68

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
This situation reminds of some tours that are headed by a big name celebrity that gets all sorts of extra folks because of the person leading it.

I suspect that this event, with Donna D being a rock star in the RV world, will also end up mushrooming into large numbers.

I've witnessed a lot of caravans and seen that even 10 units moving in lockstep can be somewhat hindered by everyone trying to get fuel etc. at the same time, not to mention that some folks simply don't move and act the same way that you'd prefer. Rate of progress becomes that of the lowest common denominator.

In our early days of travelling we soon tired of making arrangements that involved lot's of other folks being somewhere at a certain time and place. What works for us is to let other know we're heading in a certain direction at a certain time. If the others manage to get their act together then that's great. We've found that even without pre-made plans that when you get a number of folks all heading in the same direction it's amazing how you keep crossing paths, even without deliberate plans.

Good luck Caravan Leader Donna

Ron
I may be wrong but my understanding of Donna's Alaska 2025 is not as rigid as your assumption. I think it more of here's the daily plan leave the current camp when you want and get to the next one on your own time or do a side trip and catch up if you want. From my personal experience Donna is an excellent organizer and I'm sure the trip is going to be a fun filled wonderful adventure.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 07:13 AM   #69

Trailer: 2016 Casita
We were blessed to be a part of Don Taylor's southern Utah tour a number of times between 2009 and 2016. First time was 8 trailers, last time was 16. The tour lasted 10 days, and by the time it was over each year lasting friendships had been made. The downside was there was always one or two that didn't quite fit in. Some overslept, some had nuisance dogs, some didn't socialize, etc. No doubt the larger the group, the more issues can arise.
We found Alaska to be huge, but the places one would want to drag a trailer to are limited. We soon realized we were seeing lots of the same people everywhere we went. Our group of three became known as the "three Casitas". We often heard phrases like there's the three Casitas again, or wondered when we would see you again.
The point I'm trying to make is there can be a large number going at the same time, but caravaning isn't really required. The limited number of villages, towns, attractions, gas and dump stations, grocery stores, etc will guarantee you can be together if you want.
jerryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 08:32 AM   #70

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryc View Post
We found Alaska to be huge, but the places one would want to drag a trailer to are limited.
Having been there, would you care to share a list of places, or perhaps a brief recounting of the route that you took to see those sights? I think it would help me at least (and maybe the group).
Old 07-10-2023, 09:16 AM   #71
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
We were blessed to be a part of Don Taylor's southern Utah tour a number of times between 2009 and 2016. First time was 8 trailers, last time was 16. The tour lasted 10 days, and by the time it was over each year lasting friendships had been made. The downside was there was always one or two that didn't quite fit in. Some overslept, some had nuisance dogs, some didn't socialize, etc. No doubt the larger the group, the more issues can arise. . .
Back when we had a Casita, I thought about applying for Don Taylor's Utah tour (as I recall, he limited the number of trailers), but then he stopped running them. I gather his route involved a fair amount of difficult roads, so in retrospect it was probably just as well. And these days just the thought of endless days of trailering (e.g. Massachusetts to Alaska) is tiring. More power to those who undertake such trips, though!
Old 07-10-2023, 02:35 PM   #72

Trailer: 2016 Casita
Quote:
Having been there, would you care to share a list of places, or perhaps a brief recounting of the route that you took to see those sights? I think it would help me at least (and maybe the group).

First, we started our journey in Waterton, AB; and toured in a counter-clockwise direction. Donna's tour will probably be in reverse. We started the Alcan in Dawson Creek and went as far as Chena Hot Springs, North of Fairbanks. One can drive a circle from Tok to Fairbanks, Denali, Wasilla, Glenallen, and back to Tok. Trips to Anchorage, Whittier, Seward, Soldotna, and Homer require down and back journeys. The same for Skagway, Haines, and Hyder. All, "normally paved highways".
I did a blog back then. As you click through it, it will give you some idea of what we saw and did. I consider it my journey of a lifetime, but still hope to do it again.
Another thing is this took place in 2018. Pre covid, and before the rv travel madness we have today.

https://eggrollings.blogspot.com/201...rwaterton.html
jerryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 02:40 PM   #73

Alaska Route Primer

Quote:

The point I'm trying to make is there can be a large number going at the same time, but caravaning isn't really required. The limited number of villages, towns, attractions, gas and dump stations, grocery stores, etc will guarantee you can be together if you want.
And you made the point well. It's sort of a too many cooks in the kitchen thing.

Quote:
There are 3 basic ways of getting there. One of them involves leaving from the Osoyoss rally and heading for Alaska.

Realistically the starting point should be considered either Prince George or Dawson Creek as folks will be coming from many different directions. Those from the rally etc. will pass through Prince George and those coming from the East might or they might start at Dawson Creek.

So, 3 routes and a choice to made which 2 of the 3 that you'll do.

Notice how the trip lends itself to doing most of the trip without having to double back and do the same road twice.

1. The classic route. I'm presuming that it'll be the choice of the majority if for no other reason to get the classic photo of Mile 0 of the Alaska Highway. Many attractions along this route and the one that I would not miss doing.

2. Stewart-Cassiar Highway. Very scenic and an easy driving route for those that don't want to take the ferry.

3. The ferry down from Haines to Prince Rupert or WA. This gives access to places like Juneau and the Mendenhall Glacier, Petersburg, Wrangell and Ketchikan.

So, 3 great routes, none of them particularly difficult, just some patches of rough road that you can get anywhere. A far cry from when my grandparents did it in the 1950s with an original Alaska Camper.

Also, on the time to go discussion. Being in Fairbanks on the longest day of the year is sublime. Your body knows it's time for bed but it's still daylight out and somehow you just don't feel like going to bed when it's still daylight outside.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Alaska Hwy Sign_resize.jpg   IMGP0003rotated_resize.jpg   IMGP0004cropped_resize.jpg  
Old 07-10-2023, 08:59 PM   #74

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
Speaking of solstice, Fairbanks has a nice festival downtown with food vendors and live music. There is also the midnight sun classic baseball game that starts at 1030pm.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 11:16 AM   #75
Site Team

The Milepost planner came in the mail yesterday. Ooooooh the pictures! I'm so, so looking forward to this trip. Having nearly a year to plot and plan is going to help.

Tell us about the 'tours' you would like to take, either paid or where you drive yourself. That's all part of the planning.

I'll start. I want to take a paid Drive Tour out of Fairbanks to Coldfoot. It's a one day trip. I want to cross the Arctic Circle! And I want someone else to drive (although I am considering the Fly/Drive option...): https://www.alaska.org/detail/northe...a-tour-company
Old 07-12-2023, 01:23 PM   #76

Quote:

Having nearly a year to plot and plan is going to help.

Donna, I think someone previously asked but I don't what the answer is. Your thread is "2025". That's nearly two years away. Or should it be "2024"?

I'll start. I want to take a paid Drive Tour out of Fairbanks to Coldfoot. It's a one day trip. I want to cross the Arctic Circle! And I want someone else to drive
Good decision. I sometimes go where other folks don't want to but I've talked to lots of folks who have taken their trailers beyond Fairbanks. It's doable but I just don't need to do that to my trailer.

Yup, nothing like getting a photo or two at an iconic landmark. Been known to that myself a time or two.

Ron
Old 07-12-2023, 01:36 PM   #77
Site Team

ALL this trip is for the summer of 2025. When I talk about a year to plot and plan, it's because we will need to make most site reservations starting June 2024. Denali! That means we'll pretty much have the route and overnight stops firmed up by late MAY 2024. That will then give you a year to save money for fuel, food, tchotchkes, last minute tours, etc.
Old 07-12-2023, 01:49 PM   #78

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Put me down for a strong maybe. It all depends on my dog. He's 12 yrs old this year and I'm not sure how well he'll be doing in a year or more. If he's with me at all. In which case I'd possibly be a go. And I'd be taking my truck camper for better camping opportunities.

Thanks for this opportunity. Rick
advenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 02:20 PM   #79

Quote:

it's because we will need to make most site reservations starting June 2024. Denali!
Thanks for clearing that up.

Yes, Denali is on most folks list. Here's the thing. If a large number of folks all want the same dates and folks all over America also want to hit the reserve button the same second reservations open up some may be disappointed.

But all isn't lost and it's not a big deal if you all don't get reservations. Denali has a large visitor parking lot. We didn't have reservations, almost got a spot but in the end didn't. No problem. Parked in the parking lot and took the bus tour deep into the park, the same bus that you'd take if you were staying in the campground.

Came back, drove down the highway to a combination rest stop/overnight campground. Free for stopping at during the day, small fee if you overnight there. Right on the river and ironically gave us the best view of Denali all day. In the park the view was obscured by clouds.

Ron
Old 07-12-2023, 02:53 PM   #80

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Boy Donna, those tours sure sound/look fantastic! I know so very little about the area so a guided tour would be amazing to learn more. I’ll keep reading and listening to all the plans.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote