Alaska 2025 - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2023, 02:38 PM   #121

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post

I have full mesh coated in DEET.
I've wondered about that. It seems to me that DEET sprayed on skin does work but I've sprayed my clothing with it and it doesn't seem to deter mosquitoes from landing on them. Maybe DEET needs the warmth of skin to activate it. Who knows.

I'm not sure that we used our mesh hats at all in Alaska but we've never travel without them.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 02:47 PM   #122

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I agree DEET on clothes doesn’t always stop them, but it helps. Helps on RV window screens too.
Old 07-22-2023, 06:33 PM   #123

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
DEET is supposed to be terribly corrosive to anything you put it on, so don’t, until you know you’ll need it.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 08:27 PM   #124

Trailer: 2012 E19
Probably corrosive to me, too! It feels nasty on my skin. I have seen it bleach out some clothing, so what does it do to a person?

Between the roughness of some of the roads, the sheer distance, the projected cost, the bugs, and the descriptions of many of the "tight parking lot style" Alaska campgrounds... after quite a bit of thought, I have lost enthusiasm and will find some closer camping destinations in 2025.

Y'all carry on.
Old 07-22-2023, 08:27 PM   #125

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0
Hi All,

I'm traveling all summer, so haven't engaged with this thread as I would have liked. I did lots of research & put together a preliminary itinerary for 2024, but am thinking I'd like to join y'all in 2025. Here are some assorted thoughts.

Siskanni Chief Falls looks great - nice find, Donna!

Here are some places I found that aren't on Donna's list.
- Muncho Lake, BC - It's along the road between Toad River & Liard River, so it's sort of on the itinerary already. It is supposed to be quite pretty, so we might want to plan several hours here taking a short trail, kayaking, or just soaking in the scenery.
- Carcross, YT - It's between Skagway & Whitehorse, & has several minor items that might be interesting: Carcross Desert (a small area of sand dunes), Tagish Learning Centre (Native culture), Trading Post (sled dogs), & the haunted Caribou Hotel in the Goldrush village.
- Delta Junction - end of the Alaska Highway
- Wasilla - Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race Headquarters, Is this worth doing?
- Hope - It's a small town in a scenic area at the top of the Kenai Peninsula with several hiking trails & kayaking.
- Whittier - Besides a couple of nice short hiking trails, there's some WWII history here.
- Palmer - Nearby Hatcher Pass is supposedly quite beautiful

The following towns are on Donna's list, & I'm wondering if they are just listed as places we'll pass through, or are there particular points of interest there? They are: Soldonta, Koidern, Iskut, Cache Creek, & Clinton.

Y'all might be sorry that I finished touring early today & spent a few hours thinking about Alaska.

Thanks Donna for all the time you're spending on this!

There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs.
- Thomas Sowell
Lorraine Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 08:39 PM   #126
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Between the roughness of some of the roads, the sheer distance, the projected cost, the bugs, and the descriptions of many of the "tight parking lot style" Alaska campgrounds... after quite a bit of thought, I have lost enthusiasm and will find some closer camping destinations in 2025.
That's fine and I thoroughly understand. What I've found with commercial 'campgrounds' is they are basically gravel parking lots, some are pretty tight. And a 'resort' typically means it has a restaurant and gift shop I've got a couple of 'rustic' campgrounds on the list and some boondocking areas too. We don't all need to stay at the same place, I'm just trying to 'cluster' the overnighting fairly close together. After all that's the point of 'traveling' together.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 09:54 PM   #127

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Hatcher Pass is really nice if you like hiking and mining history.
Old 07-22-2023, 10:24 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Pittsburgh View Post

- Muncho Lake, BC - It's along the road between Toad River & Liard River, so it's sort of on the itinerary already. It is supposed to be quite pretty, so we might want to plan several hours here taking a short trail, kayaking, or just soaking in the scenery.

They are: Cache Creek, & Clinton.
In that area you want to do more than just soak in the scenery. The Liard River Hot Springs are one of the highlights of that leg. Access is via a boardwalk, carry bear spray. The water is a perfect warmness for soaking and there's more to them than the photos show.

Cache Creek and Clinton. I pass through them regularly, some history but not a reason to stop there unless you're killing time.

There are many other places not listed yet. For example, Smithers is listed but just up the road is Kitwanga which I'm sure will also be a stop for many. I think the places listed so far define the route and as time goes by many other names of places of interest etc. will get filled in between them.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P6080176_resize.jpg   P6080178_resize.jpg   P6080183_resize.jpg   P6080186_resize.jpg  
Old 07-23-2023, 09:45 AM   #129
Site Team

Cache Creek and Clinton are listed because they're about half-way between Osoyoos and Prince George. About a 4 hour travel day. We can't make it to Prince George in one whack, we need to stop and overnight somewhere. As for something to see/do in the area, the Milepost lists several things and there's the Historic Hat Creek Ranch: https://www.historichatcreek.ca/. It may be a bit touristy for some, but I was 'planning' on staying there for one night on a 'dry' camp. Current rate would be $30 for that night.

I'm open to more suggestions! I currently have these:

Cache Creek, BC
Cache Creek Campground and RV Park: https://cachecreekcampground.com/ $36-$44 depending on services and site. Out 11am in 1pm

Between Clinton & Cache Creek
Historic Hat Creek Ranch: https://www.historichatcreek.ca/ - $30-$40 depending on services and site.
Camp Willow Springs: https://campwillowsprings.ca/#af73ab...0-c59949eecbec

Clinton, BC
Clinton Pines RV Park & Campground: https://www.clintonpines.ca/ ($44) Out 11am in 1pm
Gold Trail RV Park: No website, Call 250-459-2638 for reservations. More known for the BBQ restaurant than the campground.
Old 07-23-2023, 12:42 PM   #130

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Cache Creek and Clinton are listed because they're about half-way between Osoyoos and Prince George. About a 4 hour travel day. We can't make it to Prince George in one whack, we need to stop and overnight somewhere. As for something to see/do in the area, the Milepost lists several things and there's the Historic Hat Creek Ranch: https://www.historichatcreek.ca/. It may be a bit touristy for some, but I was 'planning' on staying there for one night on a 'dry' camp. Current rate would be $30 for that night.

I'm open to more suggestions!
You might want to look into Green Lake Provincial Park, which is about 20 minutes off Hwy 97 at 70 Mile House, which is the next (very small) community N of Clinton. There is a group site at the Sunset View campground, but I would expect there are no hook-ups.
Lawrence A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 01:09 PM   #131

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
Most people going to Whittier are either going out with their own boats or are taking a day cruise/fishing charter. Aside from the marine side of things there isn't much there.

You can take the train from Anchorage. It's a day trip.

Haven't been to Hope in years now but it is a nice little town off the beaten path. Good hiking.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 01:22 PM   #132

Quote:

Cache Creek and Clinton are listed
Like a lot of old small towns the gas stations never envisaged folks hauling trailers etc. and they can be a little on the tight side, especially if more than one trailer tries to fuel up at the same time.

The best place by far is just before Cache Creek, near the Ashcroft turn off. It's a large new Esso with a huge parking area, large enough for semis. A good place with lot's of room if several trailers want to have a confab before moving on.

Of course, the fact that it also has a Tim Horton, has nothing to do with me stopping there.

Ron
Old 07-23-2023, 01:24 PM   #133

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
I'd consider an overnight stop at Congdon Creek. It's a nice provincial campground on Kluane lake. We always stop overnight there after leaving Whitehorse (northward). On the way there is a nice visitor center in Haines Jct and a great bakery/coffee shop there too.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 02:54 PM   #134
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence A View Post
You might want to look into Green Lake Provincial Park, which is about 20 minutes off Hwy 97 at 70 Mile House, which is the next (very small) community N of Clinton. There is a group site at the Sunset View campground, but I would expect there are no hook-ups.
What I'm finding is most of the providential parks are no hookups and most are first come-first serve. The campground names, and links, will be provided on the 'itinerary' for those who wish to stay at these parks, provided they're close by and on the route. After all, we're traveling 'together' and won't be waiting for those to drive out of the bush to join up.
Old 07-23-2023, 04:34 PM   #135

Quote:

What I'm finding is most of the providential parks are no hookups and most are first come-first serve.
My view is that most Provincial Parks are mostly reserved with some first-come sites available.

There're all viewable online.

We (almost) never make reservations and most times get first-come sites without difficulty by arriving early just after check out time. That strategy doesn't work when you're travelling for most of the day. There's not a lot available. My view is have a general area as a destination but don't expect to find enough room for, say 15, trailers to find room on the same day. This time frame is prime time in BC and many folks reserve sites well ahead of time.

Actually we just broke our own rule about reserving and it backfired on us. Big Bar is a favorite for fishing and it's pretty well booked up and there were only a handful of reservable sites available. We knew that there were 5 first come sites there but with most of the sites reserved we didn't want to risk them being filled as we don't arrive there until later in the day.

Our friends arrived first, all 5 first-come sites were empty! In our view these are the most desirable sites there, flat waterfront with easy kayak access. The camp host kindly let us trade our reserved sites for the first-come sites.

Ron
Old 07-23-2023, 05:30 PM   #136
Site Team

This trip is going to be thousands of miles. I don't want to see it through the windshield of my truck, nor do I want to leave very early every morning so I can snag a first come, first serve site somewhere. I want to know where I'm staying every night. For ME, that takes a lot of the anxiety away as I already don't know where I'm going. IF I can get reservations at a provincial park AND it's 'close' to the travel highway, I'll put it on the list.
Attached Thumbnails
BC-ParksMap.JPG  
Old 07-23-2023, 06:10 PM   #137

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
Quote:
What I'm finding is most of the providential parks are no hookups and most are first come-first serve. The campground names, and links, will be provided on the 'itinerary' for those who wish to stay at these parks, provided they're close by and on the route. After all, we're traveling 'together' and won't be waiting for those to drive out of the bush to join up.
Well, I'd hardly describe Green Lake as "out (in) the bush", given that it's a paved road all the way, but fair enough that you're looking for accommodation right close to the hwy. I specifically mentioned this campground as it has a group site which I thought could be reservable for your group. (No idea if it would have the capacity you might need though.) According to this webpage group campsites can be reserved up to one year in advance. https://bcparks.ca/reservations/group-camping/.

You may already have it, but FYI, here's a link to the BC Parks campground reservation website. https://camping.bcparks.ca/

I realize this may not apply to a group travel situation, but generally I've found no problem finding sites in BC parks without a reservation in early June for a weeknight stay (Sunday to Thursday nights). In this time period a campground can easily be half empty. After schools are out in late June, it's much more difficult if not impossible without a reservation.

Just looking to be helpful here. Been to Yukon/Alaska twice and kinda know my way around.

Lawrence
Lawrence A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 06:27 PM   #138
Site Team

Quote:
Just looking to be helpful here. Been to Yukon/Alaska twice and kinda know my way around.

Lawrence
And I appreciate it
Old 07-23-2023, 07:01 PM   #139

Quote:

According to this webpage group campsites can be reserved up to one year in advance. https://bcparks.ca/reservations/group-camping/.

You may already have it, but FYI, here's a link to the BC Parks campground reservation website. https://camping.bcparks.ca/
And while group campsites can be reserved up to a year in advance regular campsites are booked on a 4 month rolling calendar. That's new this year, it used to be 2 months. So if anyone missed that they could be really disappointed if they tried to book only 2 months in advance.

Ron
Old 07-23-2023, 07:08 PM   #140
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
And while group campsites can be reserved up to a year in advance regular campsites are booked on a 4 month rolling calendar. That's new this year, it used to be 2 months. So if anyone missed that they could be really disappointed if they tried to book only 2 months in advance.

Ron
Yeah, I've noted the 4 month window. Here's one that's on the itinerary and how I've worded it: Tyhee Lake Park : https://bcparks.ca/tyhee-lake-park/ (reserve up to four months before your desired arrival date) $27