2020 Escape 19 build discussion - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2020, 02:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
2020 Escape 19 build discussion

Hi everyone,

I've decided to get an Escape 19. We currently own 17 year old Trail Lite Bantam 19 Hybrid that has typical soft roof and floor issues. We will be towing with a Sprinter 2500 3L V6 diesel (5000K tow rating). We towed the Bantam to Yellowstone in 2018 with no issues, the Escape 19 is very similar as far as weight.

In 2019 we went to Yosemite with just the Sprinter partially converted with full size bed, porta-pottie, BOSS hotwater heater, 100 liter dual-zone chest fridge, Harbor Freight woodworkers bench as our counter top, and kitchen storage, various crates for clothes and other storage under the bed.

We will continue to convert the Sprinter, but, after about a month and a half on the road in just the Sprinter we started to get on each other's nerves so we decided we wanted a trailer. We want to focus our free time on the Sprinter so rebuilding the Bantam is not on the table.

Since this is getting a little long I'll follow this post with a reply on our Build options and rational on our decision on each.

Thanks,
Tom
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:10 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Welcome Tom, to our little Escape world. If you have not done so, please contact the factory and get some names of owners near you that may show you their Escape. It is well worth the time.
Old 04-30-2020, 02:11 PM   #3

One more thought, what is your carrying capacity in the Sprinter. The tongue weight of the Escape will be around 500# and with what you already have inside with the freezer and other items you may be approaching capacity?
Old 04-30-2020, 03:33 PM   #4

2020 Escape 19 build options

Oven with 3 Burner Cooktop (Includes Bi-Fold Stove Cover) - NO - We want to maintain as much storage space as possible, and are looking at a Convection Microwave (more on that later)

6 cu ft Fridge - YES - We like the idea of a separate freezer section. We found the refrigerator of our Bantam to be a little too small. For now we'll have the chest fridge freezer in the Sprinter, but, we hope the trailer out lives the Sprinter.

Microwave - NO/Maybe - We don't want to loose the storage space below the stove. We are talking with Escape about the possibility of installing an above range Convection Microwave in place of the range hood and some cabinet space. If Escape can't do it, I plan on configuring the van so I can install it myself later.

Two-way hotwater heater - NO - We almost never stay where there are hookups. We have a propane only water heater in our Bantam and never wanted for anything else.

Foot Flush Toilet - NO - We have a similar handflush Thetford in our Bantam. While foot flush sounds nice, after reading feedback about its elevated and awkward position in the Escape we decided against it.

Toilet Shut Off Valve - YES - Read the reasons to get here on the forum and decided it sounds like a good idea.

Exterior Shower - NO - Had one on our Bantam, never used it. It's one more thing to winterize, and one more hole in the fiberglass.

Dual 6V Batteries - YES - Prefer factory wiring to self-retrofit later. Pricing seems reasonable.

Inverter 1500W (Includes transfer switch and all outlets - Requires Dual 6V Batteries) - YES - Prefer factory wiring to self-retrofit later.

190W Solar Panel with Charge Controller - YES - Prefer factory wiring and most importantly factory mounting of the panel on the roof.

Surge Protector- NO - have a portable one from our Bantam.

Removable Power Cord - YES - had a fixed cord on our Bantam, had it come out and drag down the road one time. And the removable cord seems like it is better sealed from insects and rodents.

Power Awning (Dometic 9500E) - NO - We aren't the type to hang out at the campground and the manual awning is fine IMO

LED Awning light Strip - NO - If were out after dark it is at a campfire, otherwise we're in bed early. The porch light is enough IMO

Air Conditioner with Digital Thermostat (11,000 BTU Dometic) - YES - we did occasionally use ours in the Bantam.

Heat Strip for Air Conditioner - NO - A small portable heater which we have several available seems like the more economical choice.

Wireless Backup Camera - NO - Too expensive for the benefit it provides.

Stereo/DVD Player with Four Speakers - NO - may self-install later or just use bluetooth speakers.

'Jack' TV Antenna (includes TV Ready with 120V) - MAYBE - would get TV ready if NO, reason for YES would be if we would use it would want factory install. Reasons for NO are can use Chromecast from our phones. Are there area's where we would have a broadcast TV signal, but, not a cellular signal?

Frameless Thermal Windows - NO - We decided we would just get the framed windows. We are not getting the power awning so awning legs are and issue with the frameless windows.

Framed Opening Thermal Window in Bathroom - YES - the more ventilation the better IMO

Framed Opening Window in Kitchen - YES - the more ventilation the better IMO

Aluminum Rim Package (Includes 5 Aluminum Rims) - NO - No bling needed IMO

High Lift Axle - YES - Rooftop of our Sprinter is 9' so extra height shouldn't cause extra wind resistance. We have gone on some pretty rutted roads and want the extra clearance underneath the trailer.

Power Tongue Jack - NO - will retrofit later in needed

Exterior Access Hatch - NO - one is enough IMO

Additional Cabinet Door under Bed at end of bench - YES - seems like a good location and saves opening the bench

Cot Ready (Cannot be ordered with Front Permanent Bed or Raised Dinette) - NO - it's just the two of us

Exterior Propane Quick Connect with 12' Propane Hose and Adapter - YES - have a grill that I can use with it.

2x12V Heat Pads with Spray Foam Insulation - NO - would prefer to do my own insulation with foam panels and Great Stuff. That way I know where things are if they need repair, and can access them more easily. I'm hoping Escape can do DC drops to that location so I can add my own pads without having to run my own wires.

Storage Box (Front of Trailer) - YES - seems like a given, extra storage space, functions as a stone guard for the trailer itself.

Raise Dinette Benches and Floor 3" - NO - not concerned about view from dinette. This might change after I tour an Escape 19 on Saturday.

Convert Bench Seat to U Shaped Dinette - NO - plan to purchase extra fabric and an extra U-Shaped Dinette table top to allow flexible layout option in the future.

Double Step - YES - getting high lift axle

Springfield Pedestal - NO - may retrofit with the U-shaped dinette conversion

Additional Solar Panel - NO - I feel one is enough, I have a portable generator if needed

Key-less entry - YES - seems like a convenient feature reasonably priced
Old 04-30-2020, 03:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Welcome Tom, to our little Escape world. If you have not done so, please contact the factory and get some names of owners near you that may show you their Escape. It is well worth the time.
Thank you, we have an appointment to see one nearby on Saturday.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:43 PM   #6

Quote:
One more thought, what is your carrying capacity in the Sprinter. The tongue weight of the Escape will be around 500# and with what you already have inside with the freezer and other items you may be approaching capacity?
The Sprinter has a curb weight 5,114 lbs of GVWR of 8500 lbs so a 3,436 lbs payload capacity, and a GCWR of 13,500 lbs so the full 5000 lbs towing capacity is available. We are ensuring our build is staying on the light side too, so I don't foresee weight being an issue. But, I do appreciate the feedback.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:50 PM   #7

Here are my thoughts, the 5 cu/ft refer is large enough for 2 people, particularly as you mention you older smaller model was too small. It is a 3 way and you get space above for a nice pantry for bread and chips and other light bulky food items. Space in the 19 is at a premium as I have had 2 of them. No microwave for me and that means no expensive inverter needed. Everything will operate nicely off your batteries with solar except the a/c. My batteries are full by lunchtime every day. I had a portable surge and found some power pedestals were too low to use, been using the installed one in my last 4 Escapes. I got the tv ready but no antenna, one less hole in the roof and most cg have cable. The awning light is great for your campsite and is on a dimmer. I had the stock light on the passenger side located below the belly band to illuminate the steps, very handy and can be left on without being obtrusive with the neighbors. Also ask for the amber lenses on all the exterior lights. I got an extra front light over the front box for hitch help and looking for items in the box at night.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:45 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Tom congratulations! looks like a nice build.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 02:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
Tom congratulations! looks like a nice build.
Thank you, I'll be putting a deposit down today or tomorrow at the latest.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Here are my thoughts, the 5 cu/ft refer is large enough for 2 people, particularly as you mention you older smaller model was too small. ... I had a portable surge and found some power pedestals were too low to use, been using the installed one in my last 4 Escapes. I got the tv ready but no antenna, one less hole in the roof.
I got out the book for our Bantam, it has a 5 cu/ft fridge, so we're definitely going with the 6 cu/ft fridge. I am taking your advice on not getting the TV antenna and am going to get the built in surge protector. We have had some things stolen in the past. If the portable power protector gets stolen we're going to wish we had gotten the built in one to start with.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:11 PM   #11

I look into the double step, i assumed i need it with high lift axle, but after getting the measurements i decided to get the one step.

With the high lift axle installed, the double step will measure as follows: Bottom step to ground 4 ˝”, Bottom step to top step 7” and Top step to threshold 9

the single step
With the high lift axle installed the ground to step height will be 15”. The step to door way measurement is 8”.

I thinking of carry a step to get a more even step
Old 06-09-2020, 02:59 PM   #12

Ok, after being tempted by the 21NE, we've decide to stick with the 19. We really want to get the smallest trailer that will meet our needs, and that is the 19.

The one thing that keeps being a sticking point is the Microwave. We are definitely getting the 6 cu ft fridge. We had originally decided on getting the Escape installed Microwave under the stove. Our concern is that the Escape supplied Microwave is 17 inches wide. This seems to very uncommon, and I could only find one other model that was 17" wide. Since we plan on having ur trailer for a long time, if we need to replace it in the future we've concerned that we won't be able to find one that would fit.

For those of you that have an under stove is there any extra room on either side of the microwave to go with a larger one?

Has anyone just gotten the stock 19 cabinets and put one in the undersink cabinet half under the stove top?
Old 06-09-2020, 03:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Ok, after being tempted by the 21NE, we've decide to stick with the 19. We really want to get the smallest trailer that will meet our needs, and that is the 19.

The one thing that keeps being a sticking point is the Microwave. We are definitely getting the 6 cu ft fridge. We had originally decided on getting the Escape installed Microwave under the stove. Our concern is that the Escape supplied Microwave is 17 inches wide. This seems to very uncommon, and I could only find one other model that was 17" wide. Since we plan on having ur trailer for a long time, if we need to replace it in the future we've concerned that we won't be able to find one that would fit.

For those of you that have an under stove is there any extra room on either side of the microwave to go with a larger one?

Has anyone just gotten the stock 19 cabinets and put one in the undersink cabinet half under the stove top?
Since you are going with the smaller E19 but getting the larger refrigerator, space is really going to be at a premium for you dry goods, chips and other non perishable bulky items. I have always dropped the microwave and used that space as my pantry. Here is an option, have the factory install the electrical under the stove, and purchase your own microwave after market. That way you now it will fit and easy replaceable. I use that electric socket to keep a flashlight charged.
Old 06-09-2020, 03:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Since you are going with the smaller E19 but getting the larger refrigerator, space is really going to be at a premium for you dry goods, chips and other non perishable bulky items. I have always dropped the microwave and used that space as my pantry.
We plan on using the wardrobe as pantry space, and use pull out under bed storage for clothes. We've done a month and a half in a 6'x10' Sprinter van, so the Escape 19 will be huge for us. The only reason we didn't consider the 17b is I want a dual axle trailer.
Old 06-09-2020, 03:51 PM   #15

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
An option for the mw, I bought a door from ETI that fits the mw hole in case I wanted to remove it later. I did get and use the mw so the door just sits here.
Old 06-09-2020, 03:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Here is an option, have the factory install the electrical under the stove, and purchase your own microwave after market. That way you now it will fit and easy replaceable. I use that electric socket to keep a flashlight charged.
Escape can only install an outlet inside a 'microwave cabinet', By code they can't install it inside a cabinet otherwise So I don't think they can install one in the under the sink cabinet. If ETI installs the microwave under the stove, they move the drawers left of the microwave opening instead of the drawers being next to the bed wall. Having ETI build that fixed space is my concern that it won't be large enough to be future proof.

I am considering having ETI put an outlet at the center front of the kitchen unit, like the 21NE has, Then putting a Microwave in the right side of the undersink cabinet. I can tap off the additional outlet for an in cabinet outlet for the microwave.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
An option for the mw, I bought a door from ETI that fits the mw hole in case I wanted to remove it later. I did get and use the mw so the door just sits here.
Is that the under stove microwave or the over fridge microwave?
Old 06-09-2020, 04:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post

sound like we where going down the same path. we almost switched to a 21 NE . We decided to stick to a 19'. we also wanted the 6cu ft for the larger freezer because of that we drooped the microwave . Really if the microwave is a must for you The best location is above the small fridge. with the large fridge and microwave under the stove there will not be much cabinet space left. But if thats what you want get it. there be plenty of microwaves that will fit in there.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
sound like we where going down the same path. we almost switched to a 21 NE . We decided to stick to a 19'. we also wanted the 6cu ft for the larger freezer because of that we drooped the microwave . Really if the microwave is a must for you The best location is above the small fridge. with the large fridge and microwave under the stove there will not be much cabinet space left. But if thats what you want get it. there be plenty of microwaves that will fit in there.
I'm leaning towards having ETI install an outlet in the front center of the kitchen cabinet ($60) and just putting the microwave in the stove side of the under sink cabinet and remove the right cabinet door. Short term we can plug it into the front outlet. If we decide it doesn't warrant the space we can just pull it. If we like it, I can do a more permanent set up with an in cabinet outlet tapped off the center front one.

As far as the 19 over the 21NE, I like National Forest campgrounds, and occasional boondocking. The larger the trailer the more difficult getting into those sites becomes.

Over the last 2 years I've done over 4 months on the road doing that kind of camping. About half with an RV trailer and half in just our Sprinter. Our Bantam 19 RV trailer needs more work than I want to commit the time for and the Sprinter alone is too small.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:54 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We have the 19 with the large fridge and microwave under the stove. We put in 2- 36” slide out drawers under the bed and a slide out drawer under the PS dinette bench. Plenty of storage, hasn’t been a problem. The ETI microwave has been fine, and there is some room on each side.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
introduction