21' Escape - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2017, 07:27 AM   #81

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
We just had to replace our computer at home because we did not have it on a surge protector and the motherboard got fried during an electrical storm. So our new laptop is definitely on one. We also have the EMS on our trailer, and to us, it was money well spent for a little peace of mind.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:59 AM   #82

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We got the surge protector cause with the exchange rate it was peanuts, so why not have the extra protection. If it was a price that significantly reduced the cost of the trailer then might have given it more thought. Kinda same decision with the foot flush on the toilet, for the US price, why not.
Thinking back over the years though, I don't recall any discussions on bad power at the campgrounds destroying my trailer appliances, and most trailers have no surge protectors. Maybe a challenge for Donna D to see if her search acumen can find any threads on other forum that discussed the trailer being damaged by bad power.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:09 AM   #83

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
I don't know if this would have caused an issue either time, but we've already been at two campsites where the EMS detected problems and shut us down. At one of the sites, we had access to a 50 amp plug and used it with no issues. At the other, we only had access to the "bad" 30 amp plug, so did without electricity for that one night.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:15 AM   #84

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
21' Escape

Here is what we experienced while at a local campground. Voltage actually dropped below 100 volts, thankfully our EMS shut everything down before any damage occurred.

Cheers
Doug
Old 02-24-2017, 09:56 AM   #85
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Maybe a challenge for Donna D to see if her search acumen can find any threads on other forum that discussed the trailer being damaged by bad power.
Already ahead of you. When this subject came up, I thought I'd check it out. Had a couple of hits, one from our own Jon V over on the CasitaForum from 2013. His shut down three times, twice for low-voltage and once for high-voltage.

Where we have to be careful of, is faulty thinking. Just because we haven't "read about it," doesn't mean it's not occurring. There are far more people owning RVs, etc. than will ever post on a forum or other social media. So we'll never know their experiences.

You make your choices, you take your chances. That's reality and life.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:07 PM   #86

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Just our opinion ,but a very small investment for protecting a large investment . We have the installed surge and it has already protected the trailer once . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:05 PM   #87

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The thing with most of the errors and warnings you get with an EMS, is that does not mean any harm would come to your system, just that there is a potential for problems. For most situations if you never had it, nothing would likely happen.

But I agree, it is relatively low investment for that chance you do run into a situation that could cause damage to your electrical equipment and gear.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:41 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The thing with most of the errors and warnings you get with an EMS, is that does not mean any harm would come to your system, just that there is a potential for problems. For most situations if you never had it, nothing would likely happen.

But I agree, it is relatively low investment for that chance you do run into a situation that could cause damage to your electrical equipment and gear.
Sorry I am going to have to disagree on this one . And I do have a lot of Scottish in me . It is a small price to pay to save your electrical system . We have had in the past even a tranformer hit with lightening , go down the line and damage our Sony TV . Toast . We have been at a campground twice with problem electrical . At home on your electronics it is wise to have surge protection . At home for nothing else but electrical constantly going off . My understanding pretty hard on the electronics , house power going on and off . After what you are spending on your trailer , why would you not add this protection . If you don't want to have it hard wired in at least get a portable . Now that is just another item to hope doesn't walk off . I don't like spending money if not useful either . But I hope to protect my trailer . Such a small price to pay . Also much easier to have Escape wire it in . You won't save any money doing it yourself . Pat
Old 02-24-2017, 02:09 PM   #89

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Sorry I am going to have to disagree on this one .
I think you mean you agree with me, 'cause I was agreeing with you.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-24-2017, 03:17 PM   #90

Quote:
I think you mean you agree with me, 'cause I was agreeing with you.
Ok Jim . We agree .Pat
Old 02-24-2017, 08:18 PM   #91

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 " June Bug"
We just picked up our 21 and the awning lights are against the trailer........from the one week owner perspective, a good addition and worth the money unless you like stringing lights....
crnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:21 PM   #92

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I heard that on the Gulf in Alabama, everyone lost their appliances from a bad storm except at least one guy who had an EMS. I had the idea that it was high voltage. Most instances of a problem are with low voltage due to everyone using A/C.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:56 AM   #93

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
21escape

My 2 regrets not getting a surge protector and an inverter I think it was an extra $ 600-700 us .I'm not even Scottish I'm in the process of putting in a 1800 watt pure sign inverter and I will buy a portable surge protector .
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:53 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
My 2 regrets not getting a surge protector and an inverter I think it was an extra $ 600-700 us .I'm not even Scottish I'm in the process of putting in a 1800 watt pure sign inverter and I will buy a portable surge protector .
Still, a relatively easy thing to do. I plan to just go with my 200W inverter for now, and see how it goes. It would be fairly easy to tie (most) everything into a transfer switch, if you are familiar at all with 120V wiring.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:26 AM   #95

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
I know a couple in Florida whose on-board EMS discovered a problem (ground lines crossed?) in their home wiring when they plugged their Escape into a 120V outlet on their carport. Needless to say, they were both surprised and thankful.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:39 AM   #96

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
Jenny I believe that this is the one that ETI installs.https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I...urge+protector

It should not be a very expensive install. Fishing the readout line might be tough, but it could be installed on the underseat cabinet wall easily. And like Jim says you can pick up a small inverter and see if you really find a need from more.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:29 AM   #97

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Jenny I believe that this is the one that ETI installs.https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I...urge+protector

It should not be a very expensive install. Fishing the readout line might be tough, but it could be installed on the underseat cabinet wall easily. And like Jim says you can pick up a small inverter and see if you really find a need from more.
If you don't want/need the remote readout then you can go with this one. Display is on the unit itself. May be what ETI is now using if they abandoned the remote display. Couldn't find it on Amazon but it is cheaper than the one with remote readout on the Progressive Industries site.

(Scroll down to the LCHW-30)
Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:07 AM   #98

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Yeah, the mattress situation is a bit tricky. We've been using Select Comfort beds for almost 25 years, so we got a full size one for the trailer. It's a bit shorter than the platform, so I plan to put some thick foam at the top, which will be covered by pillows. then at the bottom - yeah, the tricky part. I'm thinking of putting in a small wood piece to support the edge. I'll have to see just how it all works out when we bring it home Dec 14th.

Other folks have used other beds and there are threads on here regarding that. Could not tell you what to search for, though, to find those comments. I seem to recall there was one brand that they were able to trim off the edge. And then others are quite happy with the mattress from ETI or will put a slab of memory foam on top (I don't like memory foam).

Or I might just shove the mattress all the way up and put some trimmed foam at the foot, which should help with some of that chopped off bit. We'll have to see how all it goes.

We hope to get the trailer all ready to go for a trip to the WA/OR coast just after Xmas. Fingers crossed the weather will let us!
I am not too impressed with the sink and faucet also. I would love to see what you are getting.
Nancy
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:30 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Karen just gave one of the best tips on here. Our kids are now in or getting to high school age and are moving away from going with Mom n Dad in the trailer. Seems like yesterday we used to haul them around the country in the Scamp 13. When they do go we fit them in, but we bought the 19 for us and our retirement. By the time gran kids may be here I may be long past trailering myself and on to the next phase. Get what you need, kids are versatile and can sleep or sit most anywhere. My ol bones now require more accommodations.
I agree!!! My adult sons and their wives got excited when we got our 17 foot Casita a couple of years ago, thinking they would go camping in it with us... Seeing the Escape at our first Rally we decided to sell it and ordered the 21 foot Escape and they were thinking the same thing. We would love for them to go camping with us..... but didn't want them camping in our small trialer with us... So we did something really different for that Christmas. We got them all tents for Christmas!!!
Old 02-25-2017, 10:42 AM   #100

Quote:
Rarely do I see surge protection in a house around here. The odd person does it for their computers, but that is it. I did get it for my trailer, but almost didn't.
I definitely use a surge protector for my expensive sewing/embroidery machine. Another one for my Longarm quilting machine and my player grand piano.
and computers too. My electronics on my piano had to be replaced once. The Longarm had a guarantee except for electrical surges.

Once we had a power surge and I had to replace all the landline telephones.
My question is... will the portable surgers that they sell at Camping World for about 90.00 be good enough? That is what we used on our Casita's and was recommended by Larry Gamble.