Must haves, wrong choices and I wish I did. - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2022, 10:42 AM   #121

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Having the curbside water/kitchen set up under the awning is nice, both for rain or shine.....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1111.jpg   IMG_1112.jpg   IMG_1116.jpg  
Old 03-06-2022, 10:51 AM   #122

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Thank you, that's my plan!
pacificc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 06:18 PM   #123

Trailer: 21NE 2022
We are working on our build sheet now. I thought we would have more time as I don't even have a place to store the trailer.

It seems that folks that don't use much electricity like having a single solar panel and the dual 6V batteries. Will that be enough power to keep the fridge cold while driving? Do people with this set up feel the need to bring a generator other than to run the AC?
GTR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 06:23 PM   #124

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR guy View Post
We are working on our build sheet now. I thought we would have more time as I don't even have a place to store the trailer.

It seems that folks that don't use much electricity like having a single solar panel and the dual 6V batteries. Will that be enough power to keep the fridge cold while driving? Do people with this set up feel the need to bring a generator other than to run the AC?

We ordered with both solar panels and the port for portable panels in case we end in the shade, lithium batteries, because we boondock a lot and partner uses a CPAP.

I've never had a problem with the refrigerator not staying cold.
pacificc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 06:56 PM   #125

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:

3 way fridge or a 12v compressor fridge?

If 3 way, run fridge on propane while driving and camping.

If 12v compressor fridge, you would have about 100 amp/ hours usable to start with using the lead acid batts. A bit thin reserves for my taste with a single panel.

If a compressor fridge, I'd update to 2 panels with a strong desire for lithium batts.

As I did

Also consider 2 panels and the lithium ready option. There are cheaper lithium batt options out there as compared to ETI, many are rated highly.

Also, ETI seems it will have a "better" (than the current) lithium batt option coming up.
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 09:09 PM   #126

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
We have a lot of shade and rain in the PNW, so the solar doesn't charge like it would in a sunnier climate. But then, a 12V compressor refrigerator wouldn't have to work as hard in this climate either.

We get by on a single solar panel with dual 6V batteries, or at least we have so far. When necessary, we operate the fridge, the range, and the furnace on propane, which is very energy-dense. The electrical usage for LED lights, the water pump, and some electronics is pretty low, so towing and the solar keep up fine.

I refuse to carry a generator for our "casual" trips ranging from 3 days to 6 weeks. If there was some sort of pee-wee unit that ran on LP gas and was sufficient to charge the batteries, in essence not enough to run the air conditioning but just enough to charge the batteries, I might consider getting one, but probably not. For me, it would just be adding more equipment and complexity. I find that I want to be free to goof off and I already spend too much time as Hull Tech monitoring and operating the holding tanks and other systems as it is.

However, we're not the sort who head out gravel roads in search of solitude. Perhaps you could say that we use the trailer as a travel trailer, not as a camper. If we aren't already in a park of some sort, we take day trips to parks, small towns, museums, bike trails, antique shops, etc.

We tend to pick sites with power when we can get them as it just makes things easier than monitoring solar charging and net energy usage, etc. I've always figured I could run the tow vehicle as a very-inefficient charging system if there was some "desperate" need, but it hasn't happened yet.

But, more importantly is what you want to be able to do. It might be something completely different.
Old 04-15-2022, 09:22 PM   #127
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I'm now running a DC compressor fridge, and I have a single solar panel, and its easily enough power for our daily usage, including the furnace fan at night, fridge 24/7, ventilation fan as needed, LED lighting, miscellaneous USB device charging, etc. I think we're running aound 300-350 watt*hours a day, and my 360W solar panel has output as much as 1900 watt*hours/day when I was load testing. the 360W monocrystalline LG panel with an MPPT controller is outputting over twice as much as the original Escape 160 watt panel and gopower PWM controller.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 09:36 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
... the 360W monocrystalline LG panel with an MPPT controller is outputting over twice as much as the original Escape 160 watt panel and gopower PWM controller.
So, if GTR guy is going with ETI stock 190 watt panels, he might want to get 2 of them for a 12v compressor fridge...........?
Old 04-15-2022, 09:52 PM   #129
Site Team

my single panel on a sunny day can produce something like 5-6 times my daily usage, as monitored on our most recent 2 week road trip that was the shakedown for the new system.
Old 04-16-2022, 09:55 AM   #130

Quote:
I'm now running a DC compressor fridge, and I have a single solar panel, and its easily enough power for our daily usage, including the furnace fan at night, fridge 24/7, ventilation fan as needed, LED lighting, miscellaneous USB device charging, etc. I think we're running aound 300-350 watt*hours a day, and my 360W solar panel has output as much as 1900 watt*hours/day when I was load testing. the 360W monocrystalline LG panel with an MPPT controller is outputting over twice as much as the original Escape 160 watt panel and gopower PWM controller.
Is this a panel you attached to the roof or is a portable one that you connect to your battery(ies)? If on the roof, how did you attach it?

One concern I have is that I've never worked with solar and I will need to drive the trailer to eastern Tennessee after I pick it up. Hoping to avoid significant mods while on the road but I can always stay in campgrounds with electrical hook-up to recharge the battery each night.
Old 04-16-2022, 10:05 AM   #131

Quote:
Is this a panel you attached to the roof or is a portable one that you connect to your battery(ies)? If on the roof, how did you attach it?

One concern I have is that I've never worked with solar and I will need to drive the trailer to eastern Tennessee after I pick it up. Hoping to avoid significant mods while on the road but I can always stay in campgrounds with electrical hook-up to recharge the battery each night.
Driving during the day should recharge your batteries, particularly if you have solar!
Old 04-16-2022, 10:11 AM   #132

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Quote:
The tow vehicle will charge the trailer batteries when towing.

With all the current emphasis on solar, perhaps people forget that RVs have been operating without it for many, many years.
Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 10:21 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
The tow vehicle will charge the trailer batteries when towing.

With all the current emphasis on solar, perhaps people forget that RVs have been operating without it for many, many years.
True, but now it is a lot more quiet without the generators operating......
Old 04-16-2022, 10:29 AM   #134

Quote:

Once again:

The 3 way uses much more power while on 12v than a 12v compressor fridge.
Old 04-16-2022, 10:30 AM   #135

Trailer: 22' 17B
Quote:
I wish we had a outdoor shower on the street side. away from our curbside camp.
Not sure if passenger side is even offered on the 17 but was mulling if it was worth asking about as that would seem like a better side for a wash station, what is your reasoning for wanting it on the drivers side?
Sean2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 10:34 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
Once again:

I prefer the 3 way and using it on propane or 120v, not 12V. Trying to cool on 12v is like using your 12v heat pads, you need to be connected for these systems to operate effectively. Thus off you are connected then use the available 120v source!
Old 04-16-2022, 10:39 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I prefer the 3 way and using it on propane or 120v, not 12V. Trying to cool on 12v is like using your 12v heat pads, you need to be connected for these systems to operate effectively. Thus off you are connected then use the available 120v source!

Yep - was trying to see which refer GTR Guy above was considering............
Old 04-16-2022, 10:39 AM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
Once again:

With the limited amount of knowledge that I currently have, I am leaning toward the 3-way so that I can use propane if necessary.

Thanks to all for your help and comments. My 21NE was supposed to ready in April of next year but they have a slot opening if I can get my build sheet ready now.

I am not feeling prepared as I thought that I had a year to learn about the systems ETI offered versus what I could add myself from third party suppliers.
Old 04-16-2022, 10:44 AM   #139

Quote:
With the limited amount of knowledge that I currently have, I am leaning toward the 3-way so that I can use propane if necessary.

Thanks to all for your help and comments. My 21NE was supposed to ready in April of next year but they have a slot opening if I can get my build sheet ready now.

I am not feeling prepared as I thought that I had a year to learn about the systems ETI offered versus what I could add myself from third party suppliers.
Making a wrong decision while ordering is easily overcome by selling later and reordering. Escapes hold their value more so than other vehicles.
Old 04-16-2022, 10:56 AM   #140
Site Team

Quote:

I replaced the original rooftop panel with a larger higher efficiency panel. to fit it on the roof of the 21, i had to remove the roof fridge 'chimney' which is completely useless for my compressor fridge.

you can see the mounting in these two pics...