Ouch! $1000 increase in delivery costs - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2022, 04:06 PM   #41

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
We picked up in Sumas last year. There is no steep grade problem, unless your tow vehicle is inadequate. Take it easy and don't try to do too much after the pickup. We drove about 70 miles, and you can do less if you stay closer. Unless time is a problem, I'd highly recommend a pickup in Sumas. Yes, it may get you out of your comfort zone a bit but that's completely normal. But, you have to do the initial nervous miles - regardless of where you start. And, there is progress. By the time we got home, we had progressed from very green and very nervous to merely green and nervous...
Thank you, kavm. We appreciate hearing from a former very green and very nervous newbie. Certainly makes us feel like this is within the scope of possibility for us.

Speaking of tow vehicles, I know there’s another thread or two on towing with the F-150, but on the Powerboost in particular I’d appreciate your impressions so far. Has it been worth the added cost, how does it tow, and what’s your mpg feedback while towing? Thanks.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:09 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
...and learning the ropes out West with more open space has to be easier than east of MS. River I would think.

Picking up in Sumas and doing the Cascades Highway i(WA 20) is awesome.
Thank you again. We’re looking into campgrounds around the North Cascades NP now. Looks like none of them have hookups. Guess we could give our full lithium package a workout(?).
Old 01-27-2022, 04:12 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
So, anyone heading out to Sumas with a big truck feeling like picking up a few extra trailers to drop off along the way back?

The trailers have a hitch receiver, right?

Nice photo. That just might be a “little” beyond our capabilities for this trip. Haha.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:15 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregColdewey View Post
It's a time vs. money equation. We live in Texas, but picked up the trailer in Salt Lake City...saved about $1000 on delivery and really enjoyed getting to know the trailer on the way home. One of our best trips so far through southern Utah, Arizona and New Mexico. If you have the time, would definately pick it up somewhere closer and enjoy the trip. Now that I think about it, probably spent the $1000 on the trip, but had a heck of a good time.
Thank you, Greg. We were thinking the same too, that we would probably spend as much on the trip as we would save in delivery costs - but a MUCH better way to spend it.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:18 PM   #45

Thank you to everyone who answered our call. This Escape community is so awesome, and this forum is the absolute best we’ve ever been around. We’re now leaning very heavily toward the trip to Sumas. Should be a blast. Thanks again!
Old 01-27-2022, 05:19 PM   #46

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakRV View Post
Thank you to everyone who answered our call. This Escape community is so awesome, and this forum is the absolute best we’ve ever been around. We’re now leaning very heavily toward the trip to Sumas. Should be a blast. Thanks again!
I'll pass you on the highway to there.....
Old 01-27-2022, 06:09 PM   #47

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
You might check on the average annual road opening dates for North Cascades. The only time I’ve driven through and camped in the park was in August and it was very pretty and not challenging. Campsites are nice and there is a shower building but no electric or at the site water service. Great visitor center and many scenic pullouts.My advice would be that you can “lay up” for a couple hours or longer if it is snowing in a pass. All of the DOTs have websites with frequent condition updates. I’ve stopped in truck stops and large convenience plazas, retired to the Escape for a bowl of soup and grilled cheese sandwich. Once the trucks are rolling by in both directions, we head out.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-27-2022, 06:49 PM   #48

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
WA 20- Cascades Highway is closed in winter.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:03 PM   #49

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
I customarily downshift when climbing steep grades so the engine gets into the better torque band of the higher RPMs and so the transmission doesn't get too hot. The thing to remember on the steep grades is, it's even more crucial to downshift before starting down the other side; let the engine work to hold the speed so one only needs to apply brakes occasionally. Otherwise brakes can overheat and fail (thus the 'runaway truck' ramps one sometimes sees). Just taking it slow and easy, with downshifting, is the biggest thing most people who've never towed are not aware of. I hope that helps.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:51 PM   #50

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
That is true for older TV's, however the newer trucks like F-150 have ability to downshift and apply brakes automatically. If you set your cruise control on a newer truck it will automatically hold the speed using the above. My Expedition does this flawlessly- and you can hit the minus button to slow down with CC.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:54 PM   #51

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Better to be somewhat nervous than arrogantly oblivious.
Anticipate.
Quote:
That’s very good advice. Thank you.
We last drove I-90 from the Puget Sound area to Bozeman in 2019. We towed the Escape 21 with our V-8 Jeep Grand Cherokee rated at 7,200 lbs tow capacity.

Portions of the highway across Idaho and perhaps some of Montana had deeply rutted sections where traffic was running up and down grades and through banked curves at 65+ mph.

If you have a properly set up hitch and a competent tow vehicle, you should be fine as long as you stay to the right and are not intent on keeping up with every other vehicle out there. Interstate driving is mainly a matter of keeping the tow vehicle in its lane; the trailer will follow.

I thought that mentioning Highway 20 might be bad advice, but on reflection you could do fine there if you are able to keep a decent, steady pace.

The primary difference with Highway 20 is that there are not multiple lanes in each direction for traffic to easily pass you. So, you might collect a following. The law requires you to allow vehicles to pass when you have five vehicles behind you AND it is safe to allow them to pass.

https://www.bellinghamherald.com/new...251880603.html

So, the key here is to consider your competence, confidence and comfort levels. If I were behind you on Highway 20, I would hope that you had rented a U-Haul trailer and given yourself some practice before heading out for the very first time.

Also, I don't know what current practice is, but Escape did not offer to help us hitch up. I had no concerns with doing it myself, but it's another question you might want to consider checking in on. Ultimately, you are going to have to take that responsibility on, so Sumas is as good a place to start as any.

None of this is intended to be offensive. It's just a fact that some folks get out there and do things that they are not really prepared to do. So, a key is to honestly evaluate your capabilities.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:08 PM   #52

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
We travelled Hwy 20 coming home from Idaho through Washington state.
Got stuck behind a gravel truck. He did his legal duty and pulled over when he could, but the pull-outs were so short, I could not pass. He didn't slow down and always retook the travel lane when the pull out ended. I don't blame him. If he slowed, he'd end up parked beside the highway.

So, I just followed him. Nice views.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:08 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'll pass you on the highway to there.....
Our scheduled completion date is 13 May, but we’re planning to delay delivery to early or mid June, so maybe you can do some scouting for us.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:22 PM   #54

More valuable - and welcome - advice. Thank you to the most recent round of gurus - Iowa Dave, Rossue, Mike G, and Civilguy. We appreciate everything you’ve passed along, and will definitely heed what you said.

Our timeline for making the trip is this coming June, so we’ve got time to work things out.

Thank you again. You’ve all been most helpful.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:29 AM   #55

Trailer: Escape 17B wantahave
With this huge delivery price increase ($1400 for north east of a total $4600) and steep yearly price increase, I'm beginning to doubt my decision of ordering an escape. I ordered a 17B to be ready in August 2023. By then the trailer price would have been increased twice and probably the delivery fees as well. The overall cost would be way over $40,000 for a 17B.
I might just cancel my order and keep my Scamp 16 at this point.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:51 AM   #56

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
You're thinking is like mine. Our 21C is due to be completed in Oct and we are thinking about picking it up in Sumas to have an adventure. But depending on Escape's 2022 unit price increase there is a possibility that we might cancel ours or possibly take the unit and sell it at a profit for those who "need" one right away.

I'm hoping for ONLY a 10% Price Increase. In my industry price increases have ranged from 5% to 10% for 2022. But who knows what the future might bring to us.

Fortunately I still have a few months on that decision. We really are very excited about getting our 21C.

As everyone keeps telling me: "You only get one ride before it's over".
Old 01-28-2022, 08:56 AM   #57

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Inflation, supply and demand, basic economics have been around for a long time. We have just become acclimated during the covid without much thought to these items, but the economy seems to be awakening.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:08 AM   #58

Trailer: 2019 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
You're thinking is like mine. Our 21C is due to be completed in Oct and we are thinking about picking it up in Sumas to have an adventure. But depending on Escape's 2022 unit price increase there is a possibility that we might cancel ours or possibly take the unit and sell it at a profit for those who "need" one right away.

I'm hoping for ONLY a 10% Price Increase. In my industry price increases have ranged from 5% to 10% for 2022. But who knows what the future might bring to us.

Fortunately I still have a few months on that decision. We really are very excited about getting our 21C.

As everyone keeps telling me: "You only get one ride before it's over".
If you're taking delivery in Oct 2022 then there should be no price increase between now and then on the unit build price. The rather large 2022 price increase just went into effect officially Jan 1st. I know some trailers were pulled into 2021 from 2022 and charged the new 2022 pricing but your official build is well into the 2022 year so that shouldn't be an issue for you or me for that matter.

Ours is a month before yours so hopefully I'm correct on this. If a sudden price increase for the trailer build (not delivery) comes along we'll be canceling our order.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:13 AM   #59

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberman View Post
If you're taking delivery in Oct 2022 then there should be no price increase between now and then on the unit build price. The rather large 2022 price increase just went into effect officially Jan 1st. I know some trailers were pulled into 2021 from 2022 and charged the new 2022 pricing but your official build is well into the 2022 year so that shouldn't be an issue for you or me for that matter.

Ours is a month before yours so hopefully I'm correct on this. If a sudden price increase for the trailer build (not delivery) comes along we'll be canceling our order.
We came soooooooooo close to getting the 5.0. Love that unit. We're not even sure what made us go with the 21C except that we might decide to carrying our kayaks.

Hopefully you are right about pricing. That would make me very happy!
Old 01-28-2022, 11:18 AM   #60

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Thank you, kavm. We appreciate hearing from a former very green and very nervous newbie. Certainly makes us feel like this is within the scope of possibility for us.

Speaking of tow vehicles, I know there’s another thread or two on towing with the F-150, but on the Powerboost in particular I’d appreciate your impressions so far. Has it been worth the added cost, how does it tow, and what’s your mpg feedback while towing? Thanks.
You are welcome.

I am happy towing with Powerboost. It has no trouble pulling 5.0. The mileage is around 15 or 16 mpg over the long haul but I just look at the trip computer. There are others who don't find it adequate and it might not be; I have enough other things to worry about than a super accurate reading of the mileage.

I don't think the mileage while towing is better than Ecoboost. I believe the value of Powerboost lies in two things, in the order of personal priority: (1) the built in inverter generator (which has already proven its worth), and (2) mileage when not towing (24 mpg). And, even though we only use the truck for towing, there is plenty of driving while not hitched to make it better in aggregate.

Please take my comments with a grain of salt. One aspect of being a newbie is that I haven't even stepped into a truck other than ours. And, have no basis of comparing PowerBoost with an alternative. But, we are happy enough with F150. I wish the service were better and their infotainment software was less buggy but have not had any trouble with the truck.

I will say that their lane centering feature (works very well) and the 360 cameras - particularly reverse - are life savers. The lane centering helped a lot in keeping the truck and camper in the middle of the lane early on when I was nervous driving it. But, we had less than 2000 miles of driving experience in the truck itself when we picked the camper up. You will do much better.
Closed Thread