Pros/cons of Springfield pedestal - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2020, 03:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Pros/cons of Springfield pedestal

Finalizing our build sheet now, and wanted to hear about your experiences with the Springfield pedestal.

It sounds like the Springfield is a permanent pedestal, i.e., the legs drop down and cannot be taken out. What are the pros/cons of this upgrade versus the standard table legs?

Also, what are the pros/cons of the slider option, i.e., moving the table side to side?

Thanks!
rootedoutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootedoutside View Post
Finalizing our build sheet now, and wanted to hear about your experiences with the Springfield pedestal.

It sounds like the Springfield is a permanent pedestal, i.e., the legs drop down and cannot be taken out. What are the pros/cons of this upgrade versus the standard table legs?

Also, what are the pros/cons of the slider option, i.e., moving the table side to side?

Thanks!
It really depends on how you use your dinette space. Standard or U-shaped, Always a table for 2 or 4? Or sometimes a guest bed.

For us, we occasionally have guests so having the Springfield makes the conversion to a bed and back to a dinette each morning and evening much, much easier. We had the stock twin posts on our prior Escape and the daily conversion was a pain.

The side to side slider is standard, not an option. Of course you can ask that it not be installed but I wouldn't. Particularly if you have the full size table. It would be next to impossible to get into the side with the fridge on the 5.0 and the 21 if the table did not slide out of the way.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Are you getting the U-shaped dinette? If so, it comes with a smaller table top. If there are only the two of you using the trailer most of the time, an option is to have the slider installed front to back rather than side to side. With the table slid back against the rear wall seat back, it is much easier to get in and out of the dinette without having to move it. With just two people at the dinette, even with the table slide to the back there's still adequate room to sit for meals. And you can always slide it forward if you need to seat more people.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:48 PM   #4
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
I hope you get to try the options somehow; it is good you are asking the question.

We just installed our Springfield and our camping trips with it have been limited since CV-19.

We have a u-shaped dinette and with the double posts, we had to find a place to put them and table top when we converted the area to a lounge area. Also, the leg room is really limited with the double posts. We no longer use our seating area as a lounge due to the permanency of the Springfield post.

With the Springfield we like the extra leg room when sitting around our u-shaped dinette as a result of having one larger post, rather than two smaller posts.

We don't miss the double posts. We would install the Springfield again.
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:59 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
The Springfield is not easily removable, making it difficult to use the rear of the 5.0 TA as a lounge (couch) area. It is, however, far more solid/stable as a table base and easier to convert to a bed. I installed mine only for the stability as I have never used it as a bed; there is just the two of us. While some may disagree, if you opt for the wrap around dinette, tell ETI to make the table top to slide front to back rather than side to side. If the table slides side to side, the rear bench seat is totally unusable and useless except as an upholstered storage shelf. Well, not totally........Gumby (if you remember Gumby from childhood cartoons) may be able to fit in the rear bench or any person who is no more than 3-inches thick from front to back. Side to side works OK with just the side benches but unless locked in place after people are seated on both sides for meals, it can be annoying if someone on the other side accidentally pushes on the table or pulls on it as your plate will suddenly move toward or away from you. With front to back slide, you can slip into the side bench, slide the table forward, and then scoot to the back without having Gumby’s physical dimensions, reversing the process to get out. And with the Springfield is installed, while the assembly cannot be easily removed, the table can be rotated, and by removing one “stop” screw on the slide tracks, the table top can be removed for easier access on the infrequent occasion work needs to be done inside any of the benches.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
If you have the U-dinette and smaller table top, another option is a removable single pedestal like this: https://www.marineteak.co.uk/removab...ixed-height-24. It has a very slim mounting plate on the floor and a threaded shaft on the post that screws into it. It's more solid and secure than the standard mounting pole fixtures.

We replaced our table with a 36" round wood drop leaf table on heavy duty drawer slides, and it is very heavy - I added reinforcing brackets to the pedestal securing it to the back dinette wall, which I also reinforced. The brackets make it more involved to removed the post, which we never do. But when we picked up our trailer our trip home to Texas was with the stock table and the post was not reinforced. The stock table top is very lightweight, and a single one of these posts supported it just fine on the 2,500 mile trip back to Texas. The post is easily removed by unscrewing the base from the floor (the table top lifts off a socket similar to the standard posts, but more precisely machined and tighter fitting). I covered our post in sisal rope to make a scratching pole for the cats.
Attached Thumbnails
Table 1a.jpg   Table 5.jpg  
Old 05-04-2020, 04:06 PM   #7

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
It really depends on how you use your dinette space. Standard or U-shaped, Always a table for 2 or 4? Or sometimes a guest bed.

For us, we occasionally have guests so having the Springfield makes the conversion to a bed and back to a dinette each morning and evening much, much easier. We had the stock twin posts on our prior Escape and the daily conversion was a pain.

The side to side slider is standard, not an option. Of course you can ask that it not be installed but I wouldn't. Particularly if you have the full size table. It would be next to impossible to get into the side with the fridge on the 5.0 and the 21 if the table did not slide out of the way.
Great questions! We have the Standard dinette and envision that most of the time it will be used as a table for just us two and our fur baby. We anticipate occasionally converting the area into a bed for sleeping or just hanging out, but most of the time it will remain a dinette space.

And good to know that the slider is standard. Seems like a useful feature to get in/out of the dinette area. Thanks much!!
rootedoutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:15 PM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Pros... much more sturdy, only one leg

Cons... Can't remove, pricey
Old 05-04-2020, 05:39 PM   #9

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I have the Springfield and the standard slider it doesn't matter which way it slides because the table can rotate with the Springfield - so i turn it what ever way i like to use the slide to its best advantage. Also the front corners are cut off the table to make it easier to get in /out i had the back corners cut too. We make it into a bed frequently so i couldn't use a round table- but that looks great
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
If i was getting a 5.o i would consider the lagun

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...hts-12137.html

on my 19 i ordered the Springfield because we had teh full table and reviews on the two pole system was not so good.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:19 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Definitely check out the Lagun mount. Way more leg room and way more positions for the table. When table is removed nothing in the way when it comes to accessing storage areas or for maintenance.
Attached Thumbnails
28FD87C2-F9C7-4481-84A4-531F02472B74.jpeg   108D4D48-6AAD-4F14-A383-E5F2ADD3C75C.jpeg   E80F9F89-7E48-44A3-AAB1-99ABA5F67D44.jpeg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:28 PM   #12

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
Definitely check out the Lagun mount. Way more leg room and way more positions for the table. When table is removed nothing in the way when it comes to accessing storage areas or for maintenance.
But rootedoutside will occasionally make it into a bed. Isn’t that difficult with the Lagun mount vs. Springfield?
Old 05-04-2020, 06:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
But rootedoutside will occasionally make it into a bed. Isn’t that difficult with the Lagun mount vs. Springfield?

you can still make into bed just have to remove it may take a little longer. at least thats the way i understand it
Old 05-04-2020, 06:41 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
No, it’s not difficult, Dave. There are many options that can be done to change over to the bed. We don’t need the full bed much, but we just use our optional filler board, and then we have a second small filler board cut to complete the bed platform. Custom Teak table removes in seconds with post, take it to truck, bring in small filler board, put in place and make bed.
There are no options to remove the Springfield to use the lounge if desired which is one of the big advantages of the Lagun, in addition to the seemingly unlimited ways it can adjust for any situation.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post

One issue with the Lagun is that it needs a sturdy place to mount it. With a U-shaped dinette that is not a problem. But the OP said they're getting the standard dinette. One the 5.0 the rear panel on a standard dinette would not support the Langun. One would need to add some structural modification to support it.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:58 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
I used the standard table which is designed to convert to a bed takes about 90 seconds after you do it a couple times.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
One issue with the Lagun is that it needs a sturdy place to mount it. With a U-shaped dinette that is not a problem. But the OP said they're getting the standard dinette. One the 5.0 the rear panel on a standard dinette would not support the Langun. One would need to add some structural modification to support it.

I missed that in the op. That is correct without the u shaped dinette it does not work well. that was the same problem I had in the 19 , so I went Springfield .
Old 05-04-2020, 07:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
I used the standard table which is designed to convert to a bed takes about 90 seconds after you do it a couple times.
Ditto, 4 steps, easy peasy
1. loosen handle 1/2 turn
2. loosen vertical handle 1/2 turn
3. slide vertical onto bottom of table
4. place table onto support to create bed.
Attached Thumbnails
3Lagun 6IMG_20200104_163729.jpg   5Lagun1 with Aluminum Plate.jpg   Feb 2020 Ava in bed in Sweet Suite Rotated - Grand Canyon - Copy.jpg   1 Colleen working in SS.jpg  
Old 05-04-2020, 08:07 PM   #19

More Pictureson the Lagun Mount

Added 7" bench extension, works with table up or down
Attached Thumbnails
Bench w Extension unmounted - with table (3).jpg   Bench w extension mounted - No table.jpg   Bench Extension with table up.jpg  
Old 05-04-2020, 11:05 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Another Lagun

My Lagun choice! We love the u shaped dinette with this table. I have two narrow plywood panels easily stored to make up the bed. Takes a couple of minutes. Having nothing permanently mounted to the floor is a big advantage!
Attached Thumbnails
5532D5C3-B9F3-473B-ADB3-D88F153F3E4C.jpg   E43425C2-46AC-4BDF-9073-01D4613B07BE.jpg  
Mark&Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote