I really enjoy shopping on line with Amazon.... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2022, 08:47 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I really enjoy shopping on line with Amazon....

It seems that have just about anything you could want or need, even items that can be unbeknownst. Spent about $350 this am on items I did not know I needed last night until I saw them this morning....
Old 04-02-2022, 11:58 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Change of heart?

I recall you swore off Amazon Prime because they raised their membership price.
What changed? Neccessity? Desire?
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 12:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
I recall you swore off Amazon Prime because they raised their membership price.
What changed? Neccessity? Desire?
Nothing changed, still not a prime member, but they keep offering me free shipping as "{"exPrime Member, in good standing" ) status as long as I spend $25 each order.
So in stead of 5 x $5 orders I was doing on Prime, I now do one order @ $25 and not daily but weekly orders. So in preparation of our upcoming trip to Chilliwack and Osoyoos I bought some healthy trail mix combos vs gas station chips.
Old 04-02-2022, 12:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 E19
We need to get you into a 12 step program....
Old 04-02-2022, 12:16 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I buy a lot on Amazon. For a long time I truly preferred to shop in person. Not so much anymore. IF businesses would keep their inventory info up to date, I may go back to in person. But I got really tired of going to store(s) to buy something in particular to find out their inventory was depleted and their website wasn't updated. With Amazon, you either get it (from one or many sites) or it's not available and I don't need to leave the house to find out (and waste my time or fuel either). YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 12:20 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
I appreciate your 'contributions' to help the nation's economy; I'm sure Bezos and Amazon's employees do, too.

Have Fun!
Old 04-02-2022, 01:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Sometimes I get in a hurry in a store and buy a product that I thought was what I needed only to notice later it’s just a little bit “off”. So on products where there are several choices I sometimes buy on line. I take more time to study my options Not much Amazon though, my wife Rita handles all of that. Going to local stores a little more now, bought some tubing and a new mat for my Geothermal humidifier yesterday. Price was pretty good, ladies were well versed in what I needed. They had my address on file and preferred cash ( I got a
10 % discount) which was fine with me. Mentioned I had seen a rooster pheasant in my yard that morning. Talk turned to hunting dogs. I paid and left . Went out to the Highlander, put Jake on a leash and took him into the store. Even the bookkeeper in the back came out and gave him attention as well as a customer. Everyone’s day was a little brighter.
Can’t do that on the internet or in big cities.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
58DB12D6-0985-4583-A68D-77BAD1862EB7.jpg   B64B7BF6-ED9E-4880-8C9C-3D6AD2564141a.jpg  
Old 04-02-2022, 03:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Great photos, Dave.
DGLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 11:56 PM   #9

Trailer: SOLD: 2005 17A; was waiting on a 2023 21C; found a 2017 21C - YAYAYAYAY!
Is your Jake puppers a Brittany Spaniel? He's a beautiful dog! We have 2 Brittanys and just love their crazy personalities....
mlowther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 12:11 AM   #10

Trailer: 2022 Lynne's Escape19 TV GMC 1500 4x4 Diesel/
Talking

My wife's daughter has the prime membership. So were actually having two families on one membership. So, I usually have a running tally of my purchases and usually pay up once a week.
Craiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 01:27 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 E19'
YIKES!!!! 23 orders so far in 2022!!!! Glad I don't see the total dollar amount for the year...
Attached Thumbnails
amazon2.png  
Old 04-03-2022, 08:33 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlowther View Post
Is your Jake puppers a Brittany Spaniel? He's a beautiful dog! We have 2 Brittanys and just love their crazy personalities....
Jake is a French Brittany, slightly more short coupled that the American Brittany and a little heavier in the chest. Most are the orange and white but some some are liver and white . He’s nearly 7 now. Has crossed the border into Canada and back with us over 30 times. He’s got a personality for sure. He weighs 41 lbs and goes through brush like a bulldozer He can run pretty fast, throw on the brakes and change direction or stop very quickly.

My son had an American Brittany. Sherlock and Jake were best buddies and could cover a lot of ground in a short time. I had a German shorthair about 50 years ago. Terrific hunter, hardheaded but would point, retrieve with a soft mouth and go all day long. He was about 70 lbs. Kinda big for in the house where we lived at the time.

We live in the country next to farm ground. The farmer put 103 acres in a pheasant restoration program like CRP. In a week or two the roosters will be crowing every morning and through the day. We don’t run him over there though we could, until after August 15. By then the young birds are flying and running.
Rita will get up 30 pheasants in a 30 minute run some days. Other days only a couple. You never know.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-03-2022, 08:39 AM   #13

Trailer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Eggstrications View Post
YIKES!!!! 23 orders so far in 2022!!!! Glad I don't see the total dollar amount for the year...
That’s all mmmmm I need to cut way back but living out in the country, nearest town is 15 miles n doesn’t have big box stores. With gas prices they way they are unfortunately Amazon is our best friend atm for getting what I need without driving at least an hr one way
Old 04-03-2022, 09:04 AM   #14

Mine says 107 since 1/1/2022 ......I need a 10 step program......
Old 04-03-2022, 11:08 AM   #15

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
I appreciate your 'contributions' to help the nation's economy; I'm sure Bezos and Amazon's employees do, too.

Have Fun!
Most likely the Chinese economy
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 11:54 AM   #16

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Most likely the Chinese economy
most likely true insofar as the product cost dollars, but still lots of domestic economic impact in Amazon's markup / warehousing / logistics.

All a bit tongue in cheek of course, if not Amazon folks will likely seek some other competing domestic retailer for much of this sales, though it does seem Amazon is particularly adept at 'facilitating' a lot of impulse buying from the comfort of home.

No worries, hopefully folks in need of controlling that can find an appropriate 10-step program.
Old 04-03-2022, 12:03 PM   #17
Site Team

I've got two things coming today. Sikaflex 221 and some awning repair tape. I couldn't find the Sikaflex 221 locally.... well, I could. BUT, it was ONLY from an RV place I swore I'd never step foot in again. Amazon to the rescue!
Old 04-03-2022, 12:34 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 E19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Mine says 107 since 1/1/2022 ......I need a 10 step program......
Thanks for posting that - showed it to the wife and she calmed right down about my meager 23.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Amazon to the rescue!
Amen to that! If you can find a 5/16" 1.25" long SS hex metric cap screw at Home Despot - a big IF - it'll be many times the per unit price of guys like Bolt Depot, et al.
Old 04-03-2022, 07:30 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
No doubt that Amazon can be great for finding something that you literally wouldn't even know where to find elsewhere.

But I've seen the negative side of it. It makes things too easy for impulse buyers. Before Amazon there was ebay. Even then a friend started ordering things, lots of things on ebay. Much of the time he'd have it shipped to Pt. Roberts, in WA state, because the item was free shipping in the US. It's the better part, or more, of an hour's drive. There were some weeks when he made the trip 3 times.

Then came Amazon and the non-stop deliveries. He was looking for something one day that he'd purchased previously. He opened a large a large closet and it was crammed with mostly unopened boxes of "stuff".

He also mentioned how great it was having a line of credit and with the low interest it was almost like free money. I think that he owed about $60,000 at that time. Well time passed and that amount multiplied many times to the point where he had to sell his house. So gone is his nice house and his great workshop.

The border's open again and he's already been to Pt. Roberts a couple of times and also mentioned how difficult it is to get his Amazon deliveries at his girlfriend's condo. Makes me sad to see the impulse buying continuing.

For me, with no Prime, I have to have a $35 order to get free shipping. Sometimes i put a lesser object in my basket and then a couple of weeks add another one. But then I look at first one and say "do I really need that?" Works for me.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:48 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
For me, with no Prime, I have to have a $35 order to get free shipping. Sometimes i put a lesser object in my basket and then a couple of weeks add another one. But then I look at first one and say "do I really need that?" Works for me.

Ron
How much stuff are you buying to get free shipping? Prime isn't free, but it isn't all that expensive either (IMHO). Especially considering today's fuel prices. It costs me about $.33 a day to be a Prime member. Still worth it to me (YMMV). IF it stays under $1 a day, I'll keep my subscription and I live in a MILLION citizen 'community.' Especially when you consider all the 'FREE' stuff a person gets by being a Prime member. Do you read (Kindle) or watch movies? I remember last fall I watched NFL games because they were streamed via Amazon Prime and I didn't have anything other than that to watch. I love football, I was happy. At home, I've got Comcast. On the road I use my iPhone as a hotspot and watch on my laptop. Unlimited data helps