Ten good years - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2022, 06:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Ten good years

Last Thursday was the tenth anniversary of my retirement. I can say that the last ten years have been the happiest of my life. This is in large part due to my being able to travel the country and Canada in my Escape trailer. I have put more than 50,000 miles on the trailer and have enjoyed almost every minute of it. Regardless of what the future may bring, I can always look back and say I had ten good years.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 06:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
That's "future may bring". Dang.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 06:24 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Good for you Mike! I'm coming up on seven years here in a couple of months and I 100% agree with your assessment.

Wished I would have planned better and done it a bit sooner however. Dang... should have listened to my Mom

Hope all the retirees get many, MANY more healthy years
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 10:30 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Continued joy as long as the health holds up. Just bought us 2 kayaks to use when not biking; both in mid 70s now. 16 years retired from full time work! Started my own biz to keep busy and wifey became a published writer......

https://cathrynreadsandwrites.com/

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 10:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Continued joy as long as the health holds up. Just bought us 2 kayaks to use when not biking; both in mid 70s now. 16 years retired from full time work! Started my own biz to keep busy and wifey became a published writer......

https://cathrynreadsandwrites.com/
Nice web site!

My wife retired, and I’m thinking about it. It’s a balance of time & money.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 10:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Ahhh....retirement

Best job I ever had. No drug test required, and 14 years now of normality, after 28 years of service and getting walked out to the parking lot by security one morning, along with the rest of the 14th wave of firings and "redundants" at the outfit I worked at.
Corporate life. It drove me crazy. Ultimately, it drove me out.
And so it goes.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 11:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Best job I ever had. No drug test required, and 14 years now of normality, after 28 years of service and getting walked out to the parking lot by security one morning, along with the rest of the 14th wave of firings and "redundants" at the outfit I worked at.
Corporate life. It drove me crazy. Ultimately, it drove me out.
And so it goes.
You still had (and have) value; they just couldn't see or appreciate it.
Old 09-14-2022, 07:05 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
One thing most satisfying things in my life to me is that I retired from my professional job at my own choosing, took one day off and went squirrel hunting, started a new job for the next 43 months doing something I had never done, succeeded and retired from that job, got the first Escape and never looked back. I always figured I would retire, check the obituaries each day and contemplate the loss of long time friends, and watch my friends pool dwindle. But with the purchase of the beautiful 19 and the ensuing tens of thousands of miles of traveling, my friends pool continues to grow, I see things I’ve always wondered about and contemplate the next journey. Day before yesterday, driving in rain in the lower peninsula I we passed through the Jack Pine plantations for the re-establishment of Kirtlands Warbler nesting area. Another future trip added to the list. Gotta visit that for a couple days and talk to a biologist and maybe see a warbler. Simple but satisfying to me.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/hmnf...a/?recid=19002

Iowa Dave
Old 09-14-2022, 07:13 AM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
One thing most satisfying things in my life to me is that I retired from my professional job at my own choosing, took one day off and went squirrel hunting, started a new job for the next 43 months doing something I had never done, succeeded and retired from that job, got the first Escape and never looked back. I always figured I would retire, check the obituaries each day and contemplate the loss of long time friends, and watch my friends pool dwindle. But with the purchase of the beautiful 19 and the ensuing tens of thousands of miles of traveling, my friends pool continues to grow, I see things I’ve always wondered about and contemplate the next journey. Day before yesterday, driving in rain in the lower peninsula I we passed through the Jack Pine plantations for the re-establishment of Kirtlands Warbler nesting area. Another future trip added to the list. Gotta visit that for a couple days and talk to a biologist and maybe see a warbler. Simple but satisfying to me.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/hmnf...a/?recid=19002

Iowa Dave
So Dave you wouldn't say "retirement is for the birds" would you?

In my case now nearly nine years into second retirement, from second career after the railway sent me packing at 50, back to school at 53 to start another at 57. At 63 got our first Escape and like Dave says have met many new friends with our traveling. Covid put a damper on seeing them all until this year when we got back to Osoyoos and heading Monday to IL for the Mississippi rally. We can hardly wait.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 07:30 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hey Adrian
I spend some time nearly every day watching birds, mentally cataloging what I see and where it was, and just enjoy the out of doors. Most of my sightings are common and repeatable but a few are more uncommon. Yesterday I saw two ruffed grouse, some adult Wild Turkeys ( not on a bottle label) and a Coopers Hawk. Couldn’t see the grouse where I live now but it was fun to flush them up in Michigan yesterday morning as I walked Jake around. Looking forward to seeing all the folks at Thomson next week, seeing the Herons, Pelicans, Egrets and maybe a Crane ( and I’m not talking Manitowoc) . See you next week. Rex (my tire man) retired but the guy who took care of me this spring was excellent. Just in case you need tires.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-14-2022, 08:17 AM   #11

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Retired at 48, about to turn 60. Been traveling my whole life. Waaay too many hobbies to have time to work, but I do still take the jobs I want. I turn most of them down.
Old 09-14-2022, 08:22 AM   #12

Trailer: 21
Eh retirement been “retired 13 yrs now n momma still has me working harder than when I was working lol than dang honey do list just gets longer n longer. Only reason I don’t quit is all that good Cajun cooking she dishes out. Best paychecks I’ve every received
Old 09-14-2022, 08:56 AM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hey Adrian
I See you next week. Rex (my tire man) retired but the guy who took care of me this spring was excellent. Just in case you need tires.
Iowa Dave
I was thinking about Rex lately, since we're going to Mexico next winter and not hauling the trailer south I'm OK for replacement on the Endurance until next year so maybe after Thomson next year we'll get some new tires.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 09:50 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
That is a great way to look at life Mike. I am sure you will continue to enjoy.

January will be 20 years for me. Working on being retired longer than I worked.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 12:16 PM   #15

Trailer: 2021 21NE (due 4/20/21)
But what to do when you love your job and the people you work with? I am not sure how I feel about being fully retired. I feel passionate about my work with children but just don't want to work so much. I now work 3-4 days a week and hope to cut down to prn with a bit of telemedicine on the side. I want to play more and yes, travel a bit. You all give me inspiration to do this. I turned 70 this year...eye opening as the realization that my life is nearing the late winter season and my good health can change in a second. I am so happy I have my Escape!
cedar688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 12:46 PM   #16

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Thumbs up

I retired from my 'day-job career' at 55 (will be 70 next month).

I'd absolutely loved my career and coworkers, was blessed that was all stimulating, challenging, and personally rewarding for 30+ years but that did finally change for the worse in ways beyond my control, so 'retirement' (with some trepidation) seemed prudent and I took the leap.

Never any regrets, it's been a fantastic 15 years since, I've been very happily able to be involved in many satisfying volunteer / avocational / recreational / personal pursuits and there's no end in sight. I think it's fair to characterize 'retirement' as just another phase in my 'career' with most of the rewards and few of the downsides encountered in the previous phase.

I congratulate others who have shared that retirement experience and hope that everyone can enjoy the same to whatever degree that works for them.
Old 09-14-2022, 02:31 PM   #17

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I was "several" years away from retiring until covid/cancer/chemo came along. All better now but during that time I decided to take a saying I use all the time to heart and move that date up a bit.

"You only get one trip around this marble so take advantage of the ride"

Since then we came across Escape Trailer and have started planning the rest of the ride. We will have it in our little hands next month.

Only 2 years to go until I can say the words, "I'm retired".

Congratulations of all the retirees who have helped inspire us.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 02:38 PM   #18

Trailer: Casita ... for now ...
I like my boss so I'll probably never retire... (I work for myself).
brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 06:39 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I retired in 2002 at 58, although I went back for one semester to teach a sound design course I only taught every 2 years and had promised a couple of students who missed the previous one. While the start was a bit tough with an ill wife, overall I'd recommend retiring as early as financially possible.
Old 09-14-2022, 11:03 PM   #20

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
My wife retired this year in January. The plan is for me to keep working a couple more years while we see how finances work out.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote