The Queen - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2022, 08:34 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
The Queen

Watching the Queens last journey from Buckingham to Westminster. Moving experience. Pomp and Circumstance. Nobody does it like the Brits!
Old 09-14-2022, 08:38 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
She became Queen just before I was born in 1952. She's always been The Queen during my lifetime. It's going to be strange not to see her on television/news or hear her Christmas broadcast. Rest easy Queen Elizabeth II.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 09:01 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
We heard the news whilst listening to BBC World last Thursday, must admit shed some tears.

One of my earliest memories (or maybe just remembering my parents telling me) was seeing the Coronation parade live four days before my third birthday. We were fortunate to see the Queen ride by on horseback during the Trooping of the Colour (our honeymoon in London in 1974).
emers382 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 09:39 AM   #4

Trailer: 2012 E19
I watched it, too. The singing sounded angelic.
Old 09-14-2022, 10:36 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I have to say the suddenness of it caught me by surprise. Tuesday, smiling and dealing with a new Prime Minister and Thursday, dead.

I flew a Union Jack at half mast. It belonged to my grandparents and my mother said they used to fly it on Dominion Day etc. My grandmother died not long after Queen Elizabeth was became Queen. So it's very likely that it last flew at that time.

It'll be interesting to see how King Charles makes out.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 12:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
There was a fellow at Algonac last week who introduced himself at the meet and greet and then told us that as a boy in 1956 he had stood along the river bank in Algonac and watched the queen go by on a boat in the St Clair River. It is adjacent to the park so it was a somewhat surreal moment for him to be In the park the day she died. I suspect she may have been facing the other way most of the time as Canada is across the river
Iowa Dave
Old 09-14-2022, 02:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I

It'll be interesting to see how King Charles makes out.

Ron
So far so good I think. My sister just showed me a photo this afternoon of a friend who happens to be visiting Belfast where King Charles was yesterday. She decided to see him and got a front row spot and he greeted her. She gave him her condolences and he answered saying that he is really appreciating the many wishes of condolence the family have been receiving.
Old 09-14-2022, 08:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
I've lived in the US for the last 40 years, but was born and raised until I was 10 years old in the UK. I remember seeing the queen in person at her Silver Jubilee in 1977!

Overall, this makes me a bit sad ... like a final goodbye to an old friend, or the end of a long held tradition. I think the monarchy will likely be dissolved before we get another king or queen like QE2.
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 07:31 AM   #9

Trailer: Airstream Trailer
Now whenever the news says "King Charles" I expect them to follow it with "spaniel"
felixweiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 10:42 AM   #10

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Back in the 60's on one of my active duty stints a Ranger group was sent to
'observe' Brit SAS training. WE were at their HQ at Wittington Estate near Marlow. We were sitting around BS'ing one evening and the monarchy came up somehow.
I remarked that I thought it was sorta neat to have a tradition like that.

ONe of the SAS guys said " Well why don't you take them home with you". I had no idea how to respond to that so I said nothing.
Old 12-10-2022, 11:41 AM   #11

Well my old buddy Adrian just pointed out to me I got the two gentlemen mixed up and gave Meghan the wrong spouse. I think that further proves how out of touch I am with the Monarchy and what goes on in England. Don’t know who I insulted, Harry or Andrew, probably both.

Anecdote alert:
My dad was stationed in England in WWII before they went to Vlliers-Fossard and Saint Lo via the Normandy beach. He didn’t talk about the war much but had good memories of training in England and Scotland. When my brothers and I were kids, he would call my mom before he left work and she would get busy frying thinly sliced potatoes in the cast iron skillet. Dad would go to the fish store in town that had carry out fried fish and get some haddock. Then he’d come home and give each one of us a fifty cent piece. He would then get a couple sheets of the local newspaper and make a funnel and they (mom and dad) would dump some fish and fried spuds in the funnel. Then he’d break into his imitation of an English street vendor hawking his wares. We would order “fish and chips”. As we got our newspaper sleeve dinner. Dad would charge us “half a crown” and we’d give him his fifty cent pieces back. We were only rich for about 10 minutes. But the fish and potatoes were good. I can still smell the coveralls he wore, stained with gasoline, the grease, the oil and Prestone antifreeze. And feel the room cool down from the cold he brought in with him which radiated off the heavy winter clothing. I had the finest childhood that I would not trade with anyone, anywhere.
Have a great day and make some memories.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-10-2022, 11:53 AM   #12

Great story about the fish and chips Dave! We have a great fish and chips shop in Winnipeg with a choice of three types of fish, and served in fake "newspaper" wax paper sleeves. Yum!

If anyone wonders about Dave's post here and can't see what he's referring to with the royals, the post is in the "security" thread.
Old 12-10-2022, 10:19 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Heck of a story/memory Dave! “I can still smell the coveralls he wore, stained with gasoline, the grease, the oil and Prestone antifreeze. And feel the room cool down from the cold he brought in with him which radiated off the heavy winter clothing.” I love detail like that. Warmed my heart to read it. Makes me think of a few good 1950s childhood memories of my own. -Tom
mtnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 08:23 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Great story about the fish and chips Dave! We have a great fish and chips shop in Winnipeg with a choice of three types of fish, and served in fake "newspaper" wax paper sleeves. Yum!

If anyone wonders about Dave's post here and can't see what he's referring to with the royals, the post is in the "security" thread.
Hi: emers382... Before my dad& family left England his mother had a shop called "Stacey's Wet Dried and Fried". She did laundry and Fish& Chips. My dad used to take the train to Billingsgate Fish Market to get the fish for the day, and also made the chips after school. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 03:45 PM   #15

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Another nice tale from Dave where you could smell the smells and feel the cold reminding you of your own memories.
Old 12-11-2022, 08:07 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixweiner View Post
Now whenever the news says "King Charles" I expect them to follow it with "spaniel"

In our house we call him "King Chuck". He hasn't earned much respect from many of us; I don't think it really matters why, but people from countries which don't have this monarchy may want to be aware that they are far from universally beloved. Attitudes toward Queen Elizabeth II and toward her offspring are often not the same.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 06:58 AM   #17

Fish& chips anybody?

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixweiner View Post
Hi: felixweiner... Welcome to the Escape fiberglass forum. We have 2 Queens. One in the house and one in the 5.0TA.
As for King Charles he's no "Chip" off the old block... he's a block off the old "Chip"!!! Alf
Old 12-19-2022, 01:42 PM   #18

Trailer: 1987 Chevy Lindy
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
As for King Charles he's no "Chip" off the old block... he's a block off the old "Chip"!!! Alf

Trying to work out if this is supposed to be humorous?
jwestdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 01:51 PM   #19

Probably depends on your point of view and for me, knowledge or total lack of it regarding the monarchy. Have a great Christmas holiday and stay warm.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-19-2022, 03:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwestdog View Post
Trying to work out if this is supposed to be humorous?
Hi: jwestdog... Funny thing about that? Alf