US/Canada border closed until??? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > COVID-19 | Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 03:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B
US/Canada border closed until???

We’re in Michigan, and every year for the last seven we’ve headed up to Killarney Provincial park for 2 weeks in late Sept/early Oct. This is easily OUR FAVORITE THING.

Sadly though, I’ve been thinking for a few weeks that we are probably going to be shut out, you Canadians are smart not to let us in at this point. Would all of you assume we should just make an alternate fall camping plan in the US now?
Old 07-17-2020, 04:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 ft
Canada US Border closed.

I believe they just extended the border closure until August 21. It has been month to month but with the numbers rising in many places in the US I suspect it will be a while before anything but essential travel is allowed.

"Poll finds 81% of Canadians say the Canada-U.S. border should remain closed" (from Globe and Mail article July 6, 2020)

The Premier of British Columbia has indicated he does not want all of the hard work to keep our COVID numbers low impacted by opening the border to soon.

It is certainly hard on the tourism industry in British Columbia. That said our provincial parks reservation system show most of the popular parks full through August. Lots of stay close to home vacations this summer.

Stay healthy.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We made several inquiries about making the Lake Superior Circle tour this Fall
We were told to plan on making the tour in 2021 because by the time the US / Canadian border opens it will be mid Winter and too cold to camp .
I have the suspicion that a lot of snow birds will be spending this winter at home .
Old 07-17-2020, 05:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We were told to plan on making the tour in 2021 because by the time the US / Canadian border opens it will be mid Winter and too cold to camp .
I have the suspicion that a lot of snow birds will be spending this winter at home .
Floridians are dying to have you visit.

More than you know since the Governor is under reporting the deaths.

Florida medical examiners were releasing coronavirus death data. The state made them stop

'State officials have stopped releasing the list of coronavirus deaths being compiled by Florida’s medical examiners, which has at times shown a higher death toll than the state’s published count.

The list had previously been released in real time by the state Medical Examiners Commission. But earlier this month, after the Tampa Bay Times reported that the medical examiners’ death count was 10 percent higher than the figure released by the Florida Department of Health, state officials said the list needed to be reviewed and possibly redacted.'
Old 07-17-2020, 05:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
I have dual citizenship I could go see my siblings as currently immediate family can go through the border. Bad news 14 day self isolation entering Canada and then also coming back into the US. We have become experts at FaceTime. I’m thinking this winter virus permitting I can have my pick of campsites in Arizona, I don’t think the border will open back up until winter sometime. We as a country have done a very poor job beating the virus down and Canada is doing the right thing to keep their citizens safe.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Steve we'll likely be staying at home this winter at least until Feb. when if the border is still closed will fly to visit family in Kansas. It's strange that we can fly into the US but we can't drive straight south of our town across the border but that's the rule the US has made.

We are going at least as far as Thunder Bay next month and would love to continue further south to visit family but if the southern Ontario cases don't drop right off we'd rather avoid doing that and I have a feeling Alf's going to cancel the Niagara Wine Escape anyway.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
The boarder will remain closed until both diseases are eradicated. Or at least brought under control down here in the U.S.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:32 PM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've deleted a few posts that are getting political. Politics are not permitted on the Escape forum.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:39 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by diannelgraham View Post
I’m thinking this winter virus permitting I can have my pick of campsites in Arizona
I don’t know I’d bank on that. The campsites in AZ have been full on my trips since May. Camping is apparently the new low risk thing to do and if I didn’t have my reservations a while back there wouldn’t have been space available. Of course, one never knows what winter will bring, but at the moment the sites are very full.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I don’t know I’d bank on that. The campsites in AZ have been full on my trips since May. Camping is apparently the new low risk thing to do and if I didn’t have my reservations a while back there wouldn’t have been space available. Of course, one never knows what winter will bring, but at the moment the sites are very full.
I have most of my 4 month stay in AZ already reserved. I’m just waiting for the 6 month window on the County Parks to happen. With the virus I might be planning this all in vain but keeping my hopes up.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:35 PM   #11

Trailer: 17B 2019
We had a wonderful trip booked in Oregon state parks for September and October that i have decided to cancel. Even if the border opens i can't imagine feeling comfortable to go. Not to mention unsure if travel medical insurance would cover covid illness. In the process of replanning 3 weeks on Vancouver island instead. At least we live in a beautiful part of the world. I haven't cancelled my Oregon reservation yet, all coastal state parks most with service that I booked many months ago. If there's any way to transfer them to you I'm willing to try...
Old 07-17-2020, 08:53 PM   #12

Can’t you just moved the reservations out to a later date, maybe a spring vacation. I absolutely love the spring and winter storms on the coast.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:25 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcescapist View Post
Even if the border opens i can't imagine feeling comfortable to go. Not to mention unsure if travel medical insurance would cover covid illness.
We use Medipac and received notice recently they will cover covid19.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:15 PM   #14

Trailer: Looking for 15b
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
We use Medipac and received notice recently they will cover covid19.
That is good news however I see that they are still not covering travel to anywhere that Canada has issued a do not travel advisory to, which is the whole world right now
Obviously that will change at some point though.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:54 AM   #15

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
I hold out hope that the border will reopen in time to attend the Niagara Wine rally as I have not canceled my reservation. I will be calling to see what their policy is for cancellation with the border closed on Monday.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:33 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Border to remain closed.
Public Safety Minister Bill Blair announced Friday that the federal government will extend the Canada-U.S. land border closure for another 30 days until September 21.
The closure to non-essential travel has been in place for months, but with caseloads still high in many U.S. states, the two governments have mutually agreed to continue restricting movement across the world's longest international border.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:14 PM   #17

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
No surprise. My pickup day is September 17 and I've been figuring that would certainly still be the case. I'm guessing months more.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:25 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Sorry to hear the bad news. I just canceled my reservation for the Niagara Wine Escape rally in Niagara Falls, Ontario. I knew it was coming, but I'll still miss the gathering. Hope all the Canadians can enjoy it.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:18 PM   #19

Trailer: Decisions, decisions
Between Covid 19 and tariffs, Canadas border decision will depend on the outcome of the US election.

Under one scenario, the border could open with some restrictions beginning in January of next year.

Under another scenario, Canada will keep it closed month, after month after month.

We had hoped to visit the factory to look at the E-23 when available. Time will tell.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:30 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
I have a friend who is a border guard. I'll have to pick his brain to see what he thinks as to the future of border issues.
Closed Thread