5.0 Dinette - Standard or U-Shaped? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2021, 09:54 AM   #1

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Question 5.0 Dinette - Standard or U-Shaped?

So we were all set to get a 19 and were looking into options and mods for that style camper, when we realized we could pull off a 5.0. So we're happy about that, but that throws off all of our modding ideas. First and foremost, the dinette.

We want the Lagun table, but having the U-shaped dinette in the 19 wasn't a good option from all we had read, and we were all set to plan for modding a magazine rack between the benches in order to mount the Lagun.

Now, looking at the 5.0, we're not sure if we should still plan on doing that sort of mod, or if the U-Shaped dinette is a much better option.

For the most part, it will just be the two of us, and we like to lounge and read. On occasion, I can see letting a couple more people in to play cards, so how well can 4 people sit at the U-shaped dinette in the 5.0?

What does the U-Shaped dinette option do to storage compared to the standard?

And what about the raised dinette option? It doesn't look like they offer the 3" raised dinette option at all for the 5.0. Has anyone done a mod for a raised dinette on the 5.0? Is it worth doing?
Thanks for any help!
AuthorSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:06 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 5.0
I have the standard in my 5.0, and I really wish I had the U-shaped dinette. I'm planning on modifying it to a type of U-shape with the Lagun, similar to what some others have done and posted about on this forum. Besides the clumsy table with 2 big posts, my other main complaint is that it is not comfy for lounging or reading. I have no good way to sit back and put my feet up anywhere...if it were me getting a new one, I'd go for the U-shaped
Old 07-14-2021, 10:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
if it were me getting a new one, I'd go for the U-shaped
That is a very good point, thanks!
Old 07-14-2021, 11:13 AM   #4

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
First of all, everyone is different, with various wants and needs.

We love our u-shaped dinette! Unless things have changed the added rear bench for the u-shaped dinette is only 18" (?) deep, too little for an adult to sit (or so I was told in 2018 before we ordered). In 2018 they would deepen the rear bench 4" to 22" (?) deep and we chose this unknown option. Last I knew this was still an option. This gives more usable storage underneath the bench and an adult can sit in back. No regrets!

Three adults can easily sit around the dinette and a fourth sits in a camping chair in front of the stove, so you can easily sit four to eat or play cards. Works for us.

We also chose a 4" thick, split seat-back cushion as well as split the bottom cushion. We go into that area quite often. I can't imagine full width seat-back or bottom cushions, too much to move if not split. A 2" rear cushion wouldn't be enough for us and you will sit against the window shade buttons cause it's too thin.

We never had ETI install a table, but have seen the Lagun and that's what we would choose if our minds ever change.

We had two filler cushions made to fill half or all of the open space, so we have a large lounging area. We love that.

For us, the modified u-shaped dinette is a great choice.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-14-2021, 11:15 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
We've had the U-shape dinette in both our single axle 5.0 and 5.0TA, both purchased used so cannot comment on having the normal dinette. We have the Springfield but would likely prefer the Lagun to move out of the way for lounging. This year thus far it's only been the dog and I camping so have left the table down and had a lounge area for the two of us, really only used the one time we had AC the week it hit 40.6C in early June. But of course the Lagun would make it hard to play cards for four, and it would certainly be tighter around the table although the rearmost two people could scrunch into the corners.

As for storage, yes you get more since the batteries are in the rear bench area as well as the power cord if you don't opt for the detachable one. The entire area under passenger side bench is available and you could even put lighter things not really needed between the power centre and the hot water tank, if you do have the detachable cord.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
I see a lot of posts about lounging with the u-shaped dinette, but I don't understand why you can't lounge in the standard dinette. With either option you put a pillow at one end and stretch your legs out. I'd like to see people lounging in a u-shaped dinette that shows more than that - otherwise, I don't see the need. Which table mount you get doesn't affect the "loungeability" in my opinion. Thanks.
Old 07-14-2021, 12:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Lightbulb Please - see them in person!

Having BTDT I strongly urge you and your wife to take advantage of the Ambassador program and find a trailer with each arrangement to check-out in person together. IME (and again, I've BTDT on this exact issue) no amount of pics or dimensioned diagrams can adequately convey the differences between the two, and the differences are very significant in terms of 'look', 'feel', and 'use'.

Note that the dinette area of the Escape 21C is identical in plan dimensions and window placement to the 5.0 (the ceiling heights are different but the distance from the benches to the bottom of the OH cabinets are the same). So, if you have trouble finding a 5.0 with one or the other arrangements near you, a 21C can substitute.

I really can't impress enough how much actually spending a few minutes in the two arrangements had an impact on my decision making, even recognizing that my likely table installation would differ from those I visited in person.

I'll note that it's clear from mods posts on this forum that virtually any type of table mount or mod can be accommodated with either seating arrangement - I'd suggest that you separate the notion of table mount from the notion of seating arrangement, IMO they are two distinctly separate 'decisions' to be made. Note that for any seating arrangement ETI will gladly omit installation of any table mount (while still providing the table top, mount, and slider hardware 'loose'), giving you a 'clean slate' to work from insofar as finding your optimal table.

I'll also note that there are more than a few examples of mods that allow 'temporary conversion' of the straight-bench seats to 'lounge-areas' similar to that afforded by the U-shape (by use of partial-depth platforms and cushions between the benches). On the other hand, the U shape is for all practical intents a permanent commitment (albeit with some distinct advantages of its own).

This is a highly persona decision, so I won't even mention my choices or suggest one or the other - ya just gotta experience them in person and apply your own imaginations as to your likely use-habits and what you will like best.

Just for your consideration, Have Fun!
Old 07-14-2021, 12:33 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
I see a lot of posts about lounging with the u-shaped dinette, but I don't understand why you can't lounge in the standard dinette. With either option you put a pillow at one end and stretch your legs out. I'd like to see people lounging in a u-shaped dinette that shows more than that - otherwise, I don't see the need. Which table mount you get doesn't affect the "loungeability" in my opinion. Thanks.
I lounge quite a bit in my trailer. I have the u-shape and extra filler board/cushion, without a table. It's twin bed size. I've taken some wonderful naps there! Why don't I move to the bed to nap? Because I'm often reading when I get drowsy and I'm like a cat in a window all warm and toasty. Love it, wouldn't change a thing. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:34 PM   #9

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Sorry, not enough room to just stretch out on the side with a standard dinette for me, and nowhere to put our food and drinks. We place our drinks and condiments on a wine tray, seen in the picture below, and eat with our plates in our laps. Strange as it seems, some of us don't want or need a table.

No one says you have to have a u-shaped dinette. As I've stated before, we're all different, with varying needs and wants. I easily can understand your needs and wants.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-14-2021, 12:37 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Quote:
If you're on the taller side like me, it is not a comfortable fit on either side. The back section is a lot longer (7') than the sides (4'). Also with the U-shape you can lounge in more positions, including diagonally...
Old 07-14-2021, 12:38 PM   #11

Good info, thanks. We've tried to find some to walk through, but the only one available in our area has been a 19.

The U-shaped one on the 19 was really just not a good size. It looks like it might be more reasonable with the extra length and width of the 5.0. If I don't have to mod something to get the Lagun to work, that is a big plus.
Old 07-14-2021, 12:49 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
The other possibility I didn't mention above is that if you have only two people and wish to eat inside you could climate the table and put two counter extensions on the half wall by stove and the fridge wall. That's what we have in ours and two years ago our Springfield failed and would not lift and stay in position so I removed table and we had a nice footstool and ability to eat in the dinette until we replaced the Springfield.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:57 PM   #13

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuthorSP View Post
Good info, thanks. We've tried to find some to walk through, but the only one available in our area has been a 19. ....
Nope, the 4" difference in bench length renders the 19 'non-comparable' for this purpose where every inch makes a difference.

You're early in the shopping process - IMO it is critical to get eye-and-hands on exposure to the product in order to make prudent decisions that you'll be living with for a long time. Keep looking, ask on this forum, take the time to drive farther - whatever it takes to actually experience what you are considering. I'm 100% confident that you won't regent whatever effort it takes, and in the long run you'll be glad for doing it.

Tags
5.0, 5.0 ta