5.0 theft prevention? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2021, 07:20 AM   #1

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Question 5.0 theft prevention?

Hi folks, we have a 5.0 on order. I see a lot of posts about ways to prevent someone from stealing the tow behind trailers, but haven't seen anything about preventing people from stealing a 5.0. Is this because it's much more difficult? Are the methods for securing them easier? What's the best approach? TIA.
AuthorSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:33 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Just the fact that the 5th wheel needs a special set up would seem to eliminate most of the "opportunity " type of activity.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:49 AM   #3

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Just the fact that the 5th wheel needs a special set up would seem to eliminate most of the "opportunity " type of activity.
And if you have an Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch even less likely.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-06-2021, 10:13 AM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
A good kingpin lock makes it virtually impossible even for a thief with a fifth wheel hitch to steal the trailer.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 10:29 AM   #5

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Good information, thanks!
AuthorSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:05 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
We have this lock, https://war-lok.com/products/king-pin-lock

There are lots of options, including wheel locks.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 01:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
If you make it so the front jacks are locked in the down position, I think that would help as well.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:33 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuthorSP View Post
Hi folks, we have a 5.0 on order. I see a lot of posts about ways to prevent someone from stealing the tow behind trailers, but haven't seen anything about preventing people from stealing a 5.0. Is this because it's much more difficult? Are the methods for securing them easier? What's the best approach? TIA.
One of the top 5 reasons we bought a 5.0 was the lack of a 5th wheel hitch on every thief's truck bumper. It would take some planning to be able to pull up to one and drag it away. Few thief's will pay for the cost of a fifth wheel hitch set up for the few trailers they could steal.
Not sayin' it couldn't happen, some are willing to go to any lengths.
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:08 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Th Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Solution is an interesting case. It does stop anyone from easily towing it away unless they have a 2-5/16" ball at a suitable height, but on the other hand the Andersen coupler block (adapter) can be removed without special tools... if someone realizes that and is willing to spend a few minutes openly working on the trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 10:16 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
https://ftknoxlocks.com/shop/ols/pro...onnection-lock
Jwinfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:08 AM   #11

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwinfrey View Post

That may weigh as much as the trailer. I might need a tandem trailer to haul my hitch lock.
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:45 AM   #12

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwinfrey View Post
I suppose useful if one has an 'iffy' trailer storage situation.

Personally, I can't see using that (or anything else beyond cutting power to the jacks* for that matter) when traveling. But, YMMV, I guess whatever it takes to maintain "No Worries" is good.

*It's a cheap and easy mod to install a 'hidden breaker' rendering the already behind lock-and-key jack control switches 'dead', independent of everything else, if one wants that bit of extra deterrent.

Old 12-07-2021, 03:27 AM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Have a good insurance policy. I have replacement insurance.

Never store your trailer where it's easy to take. I store mine at a high security outdoor lot outside of the city with lots of cameras so I can see my trailer on video for the last time if it gets taken.

Hitch locks are a waste of money. I use a simple paddle lock. I can cut off a high strength steel tempered, heat treated, made of unobtanium with my DeWalt 20V grinder in 30 seconds. If not I can pull it away with chains.

Get a good insurance policy. There is always someone who wants it more than you.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:44 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post

Hitch locks are a waste of money. I use a simple paddle lock. I can cut off a high strength steel tempered, heat treated, made of unobtanium with my DeWalt 20V grinder in 30 seconds. If not I can pull it away with chains.
True with most trailer hitch locks, fifth wheel locks can be much more difficult I would like to see you cut this lock off in 30 seconds. https://war-lok.com/products/king-pin-lock

I think it would be more like 30 minutes and it would make a lot of noise and hopefully draw attention. Also the lock is conical so hard to tow off with the lock in place. Of course no lock is anything more than a deterrent.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 10:07 AM   #15

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post
True with most trailer hitch locks, fifth wheel locks can be much more difficult I would like to see you cut this lock off in 30 seconds. https://war-lok.com/products/king-pin-lock

I think it would be more like 30 minutes and it would make a lot of noise and hopefully draw attention. Also the lock is conical so hard to tow off with the lock in place. Of course no lock is anything more than a deterrent.
Locks are easily drilled out, by thieves who know what they're doing. Again, the oddball Andersen hitch will cause nearly every thief with a standard 5th wheel hitch to move on.

How many Escape 5.0's with a Andersen hitch have ever been stolen?

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-07-2021, 10:30 AM   #16

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
Have a good insurance policy. I have replacement insurance.

Never store your trailer where it's easy to take. I store mine at a high security outdoor lot outside of the city with lots of cameras so I can see my trailer on video for the last time if it gets taken.

Get a good insurance policy. There is always someone who wants it more than you.
I do agree the improvements in battery operated tools have been a great asset to the thieves, but I don’t believe locks are useless.

Locks, gates, walls all can be comprised by any thief who’s motivated enough, but it is a deterrent and can slow down the thieving process to possibly allow for intervention of some kind.
I use the ring floodlight, until recently lighting helped keep the zombies away, the mask have been helpful for thieves.

Maybe things are different in Canada or the area where you live.

Here a car load of good samaritans will do complimentary checking for car doors being locked, conveniently done while you sleep

A four door car slowly drives down the street while both sides of the street are ran up to and verified as locked, it’s extra points for them if they find your garage door opener left inside your unlocked car.

There are recordings of these activities posted all the time, but nothing happens, I suppose it’s just a way of life now.

I’m in between a high urban crime area and rural meth central, I’m very qualified on this subject, I’ll call myself an expert.

Locks will stop most meth head zombies but if you get one of those from the country that know their way around trucks, trailers and all types of hitches, nothing is safe.

Last week thieves dug underneath the fence at a RV storage lot, in methville.
The most expensive cost to the owners turned out to be the replacement of the broken entry doors and hatches.

I really like the idea of a hidden breaker for the support legs…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 10:47 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post

Maybe things are different in Canada or the area where you live.
Sort of. I live in an unusual area. We actually don't bother locking our doors when we go for a walk in the neighborhood but that's a local situation.

Portable cutting tools have lead to thieves cutting catalytic converters off of vehicles right in the owner's driveway, sometimes in broad daylight.

Love my cordless tools but hate the way thieves are using them.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:50 PM   #18

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i have the fort Knox never used it- but would take it if camping /leaving my trailer in a risky situation.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 03:45 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Catalytic converters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Sort of. I live in an unusual area. We actually don't bother locking our doors when we go for a walk in the neighborhood but that's a local situation.

Portable cutting tools have lead to thieves cutting catalytic converters off of vehicles right in the owner's driveway, sometimes in broad daylight.

Love my cordless tools but hate the way thieves are using them.

Ron
In my home town last fall there was a rash of catalytic converter thefts. Behind my brother’s house is a large park. A park truck was left parked outside one night. Neighbors heard the whine of a grinder. Called police. About the time they got to the scene, the thief slipped with the cutoff grinder and sliced his arm. In pain, they found him writhing around on the ground, bleeding. My brother went out the back door to see what was going on. He asked the officer, “Want to come inside and have a soda? I wouldn’t be in a hurry to call an ambulance”. He But the officer called the EMTs.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-08-2021, 08:47 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Lock, stock, and barrel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuthorSP View Post
Hi: AuthorSP... The best approach might be "Replacement cost endorsement" that is if you don't mind paying for insurance!!! The ins. cos. usually don't understand the lack of depreciation in a fiberglass trailer.
Remember that locks are put there for the honest people. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030936.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote