Acrylic windows unboxing video with Karl - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2023, 12:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B (21NE F2 on order)
Acrylic windows unboxing video with Karl

I saw that Karl uploaded a new video on Friday where he is unboxing some acrylic windows that he plans to put into the 21NE marketing trailer. They look amazing. No information on when they will be available, but I hope it's soon as my completion date is this summer and I expect my build sheet to be coming up soon. Probably unlikely, but I can dream.

Watch the Youtube video here
Attached Thumbnails
2023-01-16 11_21_49-First Look_ Unboxing RV Acrylic Windows - Escape Trailer - YouTube and 12 mo.jpg   2023-01-16 11_22_26-First Look_ Unboxing RV Acrylic Windows - Escape Trailer - YouTube and 12 mo.jpg   2023-01-16 11_22_50-First Look_ Unboxing RV Acrylic Windows - Escape Trailer - YouTube and 12 mo.jpg  
SquirrelsGoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 01:59 PM   #2

Trailer: WTB: E19
Had these acrylic windows on my all aluminum 2014 Camp Lite 14dbs. They are nice windows but, when there are insects such as gnats, misquitos, etc. and your windows are open,...in order to close the windows you need to slide open the shade/screen. When sliding the screen open to allow you to close the window, the bugs get inside your trailer. NOT a good thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Camplite_edited.jpg   camplitea.jpg  
Old 01-16-2023, 02:17 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I wonder if those vacuum shaped acrylic windows are going to be available 30-40 years from now. I expect the trailers to still be around, but replacement windows because they're crazed and cracked? One thing about flat glass, it should be able to be fairly easy to replace just about everywhere.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 02:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I wonder if those vacuum shaped acrylic windows are going to be available 30-40 years from now. I expect the trailers to still be around, but replacement windows because they're crazed and cracked? One thing about flat glass, it should be able to be fairly easy to replace just about everywhere.

Donna,

You bring up a valid concern. When I had these on my Camplite (Livin Lite) all aluminum frame, floors, walls, and roof, they used Dometic European tilt out windows. Dometic sold to Duncan Glass who was now the USA importer for Seitz window. These little plastic cookie sheet windows are VERY expensive. I cracked the smallest one above the sink $250 back then for the part to repair it. Can't imagine what the price is today.
http://www.duncansys.com
Old 01-16-2023, 02:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Duncan is owned by Lippert.

We had those windows on a previous trailer. They were nice. Great in the rain and lots of ventilation. In spite of the claims, I don’t think they are as warm as the minimally effective double pane glass RV windows.

Our bug solution is the same as now. Go in, close windows, turn on bath light, kill bugs, and then turn on lights as needed. If you go in and turn on lights before dropping the screens to close those windows you will have to face the bugs. Even now in the Escape, we use the same method to keep the noseeum’s out.
Old 01-16-2023, 03:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Duncan is owned by Lippert.

We had those windows on a previous trailer. They were nice. Great in the rain and lots of ventilation. In spite of the claims, I don’t think they are as warm as the minimally effective double pane glass RV windows.

Our bug solution is the same as now. Go in, close windows, turn on bath light, kill bugs, and then turn on lights as needed. If you go in and turn on lights before dropping the screens to close those windows you will have to face the bugs. Even now in the Escape, we use the same method to keep the noseeum’s out.
Randy,

I agree, couldn't tell the difference in warmth of the Acrylic window.

The difference with the current Escape windows/screens and the proposed Acrylic screens is, the Escape always has the screen in place when you open & close the window. The Acrylic you ALWAYS have to roll up the screen (with gants) with a full open window in order to lift and close the windows.

The reason I bring it up is to inform people based off my expierence with the windows. I liken this to the auto retract awnings. On the surface the power awning sounds great, in practicle terms the power awning doesn't perform in rain as well as one might like, although my E19 has the power awning and it's fine.

The windows are really neat with the roll up screen and shade, but there are things that you should know going into it.

Bill
Old 01-16-2023, 03:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 2023 E19
Quote:
Even the frame/frameless windows that are currently offered are likely to only be serviceable for as long as the window manufacturer keeps replacement parts available. Despite being flat glass, it would be difficult for those custom shape dual-glaze sashes to be fabricated by a local glass shop. It would likely require some sort of business that specialized in RV replacement windows that had access to unique hardware and tooling to custom-supply replacement parts....once they are eventually discontinued from the OEM.

On the plus side, acrylic glazing technology have been around for decades in the form of residential skylights, so I would think long-term durability to be pretty good.

I personally see both advantages and disadvantages with the acrylic window design. I like the fact that they are substantially lighter than the glass equivalent, open very wide, and are potentially more thermally efficient.

However, there are several window locations within the various ETI trailer models where the acrylic windows could not be opened any meaningful amount when the manual awning is retracted. The power awning would have to be a mandatory option. Also, I would think the interior screens/blinds would be subject to a lot of wear and tear...since the screen has to be retracted every time that a window is opened or closed (assuming you are camping in bug season). The screen/blind components look to be proprietary to the manufacturer and I doubt are cheap to replace.

I'm also curious as to how much an acrylic window option would be priced at. That would probably serve as the determining factor for me...
Selkirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 03:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 escape 21c
Unless they source these through Ali Baba the price for the option may scare most away . Alot of Comments about if the price of the frameless windows are worth the cost.
DanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 03:48 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
Even the frame/frameless windows that are currently offered are likely to only be serviceable for as long as the window manufacturer keeps replacement parts available. Despite being flat glass, it would be difficult for those custom shape dual-glaze sashes to be fabricated by a local glass shop.
Could be but flat glass is used everywhere including sticks 'n bricks homes. I think the worst that could happen is a window would only be single pane. I got laminated flat glass cut for my 1953 Ford truck. All I needed was the cracked glass for a pattern. Surprisingly it was cheap too.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 03:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
I'm also curious as to how much an acrylic window option would be priced at. That would probably serve as the determining factor for me...

LOL...with all your money you don't have to worry about that....
Old 01-16-2023, 03:54 PM   #11

Don’t know what they cost now, but they were standard on one of my previous very cheap trailers built strictly to price.

I worried about the screens, but after months of daily use they were fine. I don’t remember exactly how many nights we put on that trailer, but in 4 years we put at least 7 months of use on it before it was destroyed in a windstorm.
Old 01-16-2023, 04:04 PM   #12

Trailer: 2023 E19
Quote:
Could be but flat glass is used everywhere including sticks 'n bricks homes. I think the worst that could happen is a window would only be single pane. I got laminated flat glass cut for my 1953 Ford truck. All I needed was the cracked glass for a pattern. Surprisingly it was cheap too.
I have some experience in the industry.

Supplying a non-tempered single pane replacement lite of virtually any size and shape is indeed cheap and easy. However dual-pane replacement sealed units are different, especially when used in a non-residential application, You would need unique fabrication equipment, a supply of the correct width spacer bar (likely unique to RVs), as well (in the case of the frameless windows), a supply of the proprietary hardware that is bonded to the glass when manufactured.
Selkirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 04:50 PM   #13

Trailer: 2022 E19
Can I get just one...?

I've been considering replacing my framed kitchen window on my E19 with a frameless for a better view out, but one of these would work as well.

Are the shell cut-outs the same for the framed and frameless? Hopefully.......
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 06:00 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
I've been considering replacing my framed kitchen window on my E19 with a frameless for a better view out, but one of these would work as well.

Like Donna, I've had custom shaped glass cut for a windshield and that would be a heck of a lot cheaper than replacing a whole acrylic unit.

After years of treating acrylic aircraft canopies with kid gloves I'm a little leery of using them in a much gritter situation. I asked Johnny Hung about his care of his windows and he put some some of clear film on them.

I can see the pluses and minuses of them. I can also see me with a big red welt across my forehead because I'd walk right in one when it's opened wide, especially if it's the kitchen one.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 08:40 PM   #15

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
It might not be totally straightforward. I believe I heard the shell (window surround) is prepped differently by Escape depending on the style of window. Johnny Hung used Arctic Tern acrylic windows from Tern Overland when he upgraded. Might be worth trying to reach out to him to see what is involved although he likely started out with frameless. I believe he frequents the Escape Facebook page. Haven’t seen him on the forum.
www.ternoverland.com/products
Old 01-16-2023, 10:25 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/9139...5180932601477/

Here's the link to Johnny Hung's video on the window install
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 10:41 AM   #17

Trailer: 2022 E19
Can I quote myself...!

Quote:

Per Dustin, shell cut-outs are the same for the ETI standard framed and frameless windows. ETI supplied the specs to order from Lippert.
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:06 PM   #18

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
I'll stick with glass, thank you. I'll pass on the long-term risk of scratches or developing a 'hazy' appearance from environmental abrasion or less-than-perfect maintenance.

IMO in that respect glass is mighty hard to beat (or beat-up) - the surface is really robust, no worries about using any window-cleaning solution, it's 'tolerant' of an inadvertently dirty cleaning cloth or occasional 'abrasive' paper towel.

Yep, there's films, coatings, and buffing procedures to mitigate that risk with acrylic; no thanks on any of that bother.

Breakage from impact? Maybe I'm just lucky but in 50+ years of RV-ing I've never had a window break from impact.

Day/night shades? There's more than a few nifty options on the aftermarket for interior installation, pleated and rollers, horizontal or vertical, color choices, easily repaired without effect on the windows themselves, and easy to change-out if one decides it's time for a different color, pattern, material, mechanism, whatever.

Re-screening? Easy with commonly available materials if one punches a hole in a screen.

In it for the long run .... other folk's priorities may differ, no worries!
Old 01-17-2023, 12:24 PM   #19

We only had the acrylic windows for 4 years, but took some 3 month trips in it. We had no problems with scratching. They are certainly softer than glass, but seemed to be more robust than I thought they would be.
Old 01-19-2023, 07:31 PM   #20

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape_19 View Post
Had these acrylic windows on my all aluminum 2014 Camp Lite 14dbs. They are nice windows but, when there are insects such as gnats, misquitos, etc. and your windows are open,...in order to close the windows you need to slide open the shade/screen. When sliding the screen open to allow you to close the window, the bugs get inside your trailer. NOT a good thing.
Hi - I believe you can close the windows from the outside (maybe not the best) with the screen still in place.
Safety Dougo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acrylic windows