Anyone use X-Chocks? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2023, 09:56 AM   #21

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post
Looking on Amazon some of the x chocks are 2.5” wide when not deployed and some are 3”. Does anyone know how wide the space is between the tires on the 5.0? We don’t have our trailer until May.
Right at 3" on my 2021 5.0 (I don't happen to use 'X-chocks' of any brand).
Old 03-27-2023, 10:41 AM   #22

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Anyone using a step-on type like this? I’d rather not have to bend or squat to deploy them. Bad back and knees
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fastway-Tra...k/372995738961
Old 03-27-2023, 12:15 PM   #23

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Tried them before we settled on the X-Chocks. These were too wide for the space between our tires. The X-chocks fit.
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 01:38 PM   #24
LRL

Trailer: 2017-2013: 21C; Arriving 3/2024: Escape 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
Anyone using a step-on type like this? I’d rather not have to bend or squat to deploy them. Bad back and knees
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fastway-Tra...k/372995738961
I use those and am quite happy with them. They're very easy and secure.
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 04:23 PM   #25

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
X-Chocks provide stability forwards and backward. They are not meant to "Chock" the tires from rolling downhill.

As someone who had a truck roll almost completely over their chest. ALWAYS chock your tires behind and in front of the tires.

We have the X-Chocks and they are easy to install and do a great job keeping your trailer from rocking when you walk around inside. We like them.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:55 PM   #26

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I’ve posted several times that I like as much trailer to earth contact as possible. I put down stabilizers, the jack, four chocks and the pair of bal-X-chocks. I do this for solid trailer setup and if big weather is coming I rehook the tow vehicle to the tongue. And on Saturday night
“Laissez le bon temps rouler”. Let the good times roll. After a plate of fried sacalait and some red beans and rice.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-28-2023, 05:05 AM   #27
Nan

Trailer: 2023 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Thanks for checking that.
Nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 11:39 AM   #28

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Does anyone with a 5.0 use x-chocks? If the distance between tires is 3", I would assume I would need to get the 2.5" ones so they expand (?).
Old 03-28-2023, 12:51 PM   #29

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
X-Chocks provide stability forwards and backward. They are not meant to "Chock" the tires from rolling downhill.
Just like ground chocks once deployed there is a better chance of a tire jumping ground chocks than a tire completely distorting the X-Chock to allow the camper to go downhill. They work great as a chock, that's why "Chock" is in the name.

Because I can tighten the X-Chock against the tire it also increases our camper's stability.

Also, when we use either lego's or Andersen levelers, the tire that has been raised gets the X-Chock to prevent movement, since the chocks we have don't work well with raised tires and haven't found any that really do work well with the raised tires.

Quote:
Does anyone with a 5.0 use x-chocks? If the distance between tires is 3", I would assume I would need to get the 2.5" ones so they expand (?).
We purchased these at Amazon for our 5.0. I don't see where it says the size though, but considering the narrow gap between tires I'd go with 2.5" X-Chocks.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 03-28-2023, 07:51 PM   #30

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
I have those same X-Chocks. They work really well on my 21NE. I have used them on really un-level sites and in really windy conditions and they really firm up the trailer. I use my 19mm gear wrench to put them on and take them off in a second.
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 08:38 PM   #31

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
I am a little concerned that a trailer could roll away if somehow the chalks are removed.

Do trailer breaks work after release from hook up?

Does anyone use X-Chocks to secure their trailer?

If so, how well do they work and why did you get them?

Thanks.
Sitting here in Dutchman State Park in Arizona tonight. X chocks are on. Used them for years. Provide great stability combined with the rear stabilizers and dare I say it the King Pin Tripod. At set up the last thing I put on and at break down the first thing I take off,
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 09:42 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Chocks

Here’s a setup on the last camping space in the campground. Grand Coulee Dam, one of my favorite places in the west. The Highlander pushed the 21 up there ok but I knew if I unhooked I’d have a hard time getting the hitch hooked back up . The pressures were pretty intense there. I set the brake on the Highlander and then chocked all the corners on the trailer (11 points of contact on the trailer). Rita still wasn’t all that comfortable so we chocked all four wheels on the tow vehicle too. We didn’t have any trouble getting back down that slope the next morning for sure. So you’ll run into those situations once in a while. You have to be prepared and consider all the physics involved. Don’t take anything for granted.
Iowa Dave
https://www.google.com/search?q=gran...id:qx65f1YXmgw
Attached Thumbnails
0A32AE84-0977-480E-AC7B-16AA698CF07A.jpg  
Old 03-29-2023, 05:34 AM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
My 5.0TA is an early model with leaf springs rather than torsion axles. Before I took delivery, reading this forum, I became “indoctrinated” that I would need X-chocks to stabilize my trailer once I took delivery. I happened to find a set of preowned large Roto-Chocks (no longer made but very expensive, @ $300 new, and quite possibly the best between the wheel chocks ever made). I used them and they seemed to work great. About a year later, I found another set for sale which had both the large and medium side plates for $75 on eBay and bought them for a backup since they were no longer being manufactured and I convinced myself I should have a backup since they were no longer available. Toward the end of my second year camping with the 5.0TA, I set up in a campsite. It was fairly late and we decided to go out for dinner, not returning until after nightfall. I figured I would install them in the morning, but it turned out that (in my estimation) that the trailer was maybe 3% less stable without them than with them. For the rest of the trip I went without using them. When I returned home they went into a box atop the box with the backup set, where they have been sitting unused for 6+ years. It is one less accessory that I have to install and transport, as I saw very limited benefit from their use. I am of the opinion that X type chocks are just not necessary. YMMV!
Old 03-29-2023, 07:43 AM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
My 5.0TA is an early model with leaf springs rather than torsion axles. Before I took delivery, reading this forum, I became “indoctrinated” that I would need X-chocks to stabilize my trailer once I took delivery. I happened to find a set of preowned large Roto-Chocks (no longer made but very expensive, @ $300 new, and quite possibly the best between the wheel chocks ever made). I used them and they seemed to work great. About a year later, I found another set for sale which had both the large and medium side plates for $75 on eBay and bought them for a backup since they were no longer being manufactured and I convinced myself I should have a backup since they were no longer available. Toward the end of my second year camping with the 5.0TA, I set up in a campsite. It was fairly late and we decided to go out for dinner, not returning until after nightfall. I figured I would install them in the morning, but it turned out that (in my estimation) that the trailer was maybe 3% less stable without them than with them. For the rest of the trip I went without using them. When I returned home they went into a box atop the box with the backup set, where they have been sitting unused for 6+ years. It is one less accessory that I have to install and transport, as I saw very limited benefit from their use. I am of the opinion that X type chocks are just not necessary. YMMV!
Hi: C&G in FL... You can chalk that up to experience, Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 10:09 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I really couldn't tell any stablilizing difference once we had our rear stabilizing jacks down. Of the two, we only use one on the side with levelers and the other just sits at home.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 03-29-2023, 05:05 PM   #36

Trailer: 2021 5.0
I think it was Willie B who pointed out X-Chocks are limited in their ability to keep a trailer in place. I tested mine out, I haven’t had confidence in them since. Until then I had a lock on them believing that could slow down a thief.
Then there’s these…
Attached Thumbnails
C21669F6-AA2B-4859-A56F-CD5D74A99D42.jpg  
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 05:21 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
I think it was Willie B who pointed out X-Chocks are limited in their ability to keep a trailer in place. I tested mine out, I haven’t had confidence in them since. Until then I had a lock on them believing that could slow down a thief.
Then there’s these…
I have those and none of the three angles worked well.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 03-29-2023, 05:53 PM   #38

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
I have those and none of the three angles worked well.

Enjoy,

Perry
Good to know, not a sharp enough angle maybe.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 06:15 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
Good to know, not a sharp enough angle maybe.
They're been sitting in our storage with other failed items for the last couple of years, but seems the angle was either too sharp or not sharp enough, and they are not long enough to go well under the tires.

Still looking for the perfect chock, but what we have works for us. The Fastway One Step worked great for us with our 5.0, but the tires are slightly closer together on our Bigfoot, so needs a hole cut off of both ends to clear the tires. It will be cut and ground smooth when we get home.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 03-29-2023, 07:31 PM   #40

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Maybe I'm easily impressed but for traditional chocks I'm really liking these MaxHaul 70472, available from Amazon (~$16 USD per pair) and others.

At a robust 4+pounds each I wouldn't call 'em lightweight but the weight+serration seems to make 'em functional on a lot of surfaces / terrain. I like the relatively high profile; the angle fits well with the Escape tires - methinks it'd take a serious rolling-start to 'jump' one; the solid rubber is 'grippy', not super-hard.

I've retired my almost as heavy DIY wooden wedges and lighter hard-plastic wedge-type chocks in favor of them.
Attached Thumbnails
chocks.JPG