Captain’s Lights w/USB Ports - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2021, 12:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Captain’s Lights w/USB Ports

As we were finishing up our build sheet for 10/29/21 pickup in Sumas, we were told that new builds were getting Captain’s lights with USB charge ports built in. Since we had spec’ed four over the dinette and two in the bed area (21C), we held off on doing any wall mount USB ports.

Beginning to hear of folks who got mid August deliveries and no USB ports on the Captain’s lights. Wondering if anyone with a post mid August delivery got the USB lights?
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:52 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17B / 2021Toyota 4Runner
That's a nice little upgrade. Thanks for letting us know. Mine is scheduled for Dec 2021, so can't confirm.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 01:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
FWIW my 5.0 in production during the period from July 23 to August 18, 2021 does not have USB ports in the Captain's lights that come standard in the bed-loft of that model. I did not order any optional lights.
Old 09-09-2021, 03:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
I asked Linda month ago about these,she said they were now standard on the captains lights
Old 09-09-2021, 04:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
I asked Linda month ago about these,she said they were now standard on the captains lights
I have been following responses to my question on the Facebook Escape Owners page. So far, deliveries from mid August through September 6th report no USB ports on the lights.
Old 09-09-2021, 04:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
I have been following responses to my question on the Facebook Escape Owners page. So far, deliveries from mid August through September 6th report no USB ports on the lights.
if a trailer was delivered sept 6, its been in the build stage for several months. The only thing I can think of is check with ETI. I asked because if I was going to get USB on the lights, I didn't need additional 12 volt drops.
Old 09-09-2021, 04:46 PM   #7

Quote:
if a trailer was delivered sept 6, its been in the build stage for several months. The only thing I can think of is check with ETI. I asked because if I was going to get USB on the lights, I didn't need additional 12 volt drops.
There is a lack of clarity over whether a decision was made months ago to use the USB version or whether ETI is simply using whatever lights they can get their hands on.

Some owners did report receiving the USB version, but subsequent deliveries are without the USB.
Old 09-09-2021, 05:01 PM   #8

Quote:
There is a lack of clarity over whether a decision was made months ago to use the USB version or whether ETI is simply using whatever lights they can get their hands on.

Some owners did report receiving the USB version, but subsequent deliveries are without the USB.
again, checking with ETI would be the prudent thing..
Old 09-09-2021, 06:56 PM   #9

Quote:
again, checking with ETI would be the prudent thing..
I have asked the same question of ETI for months. The prudent thing seems to be to adk folks who have been picking up new trailers what they got.

If the USB ports were now standard, we would be seeing them on new builds.
Old 09-09-2021, 07:37 PM   #10

Quote:
I have asked the same question of ETI for months. The prudent thing seems to be to adk folks who have been picking up new trailers what they got.

If the USB ports were now standard, we would be seeing them on new builds.
Why not ask ETI whats going to be on your build? I don't care whats on other peoples build. If they say your getting the USB version, get it in writing... That is, if you want them. Some people may not want them
Old 09-09-2021, 07:54 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Why not ask ETI whats going to be on your build? I don't care whats on other peoples build. If they say your getting the USB version, get it in writing... That is, if you want them. Some people may not want them
I whole-heartily agree with this. We're reading too many posts where people didn't get things in writing from ETI and are upset or disappointed. Send ETI an email. It's easy. And it's always best to not assume...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I whole-heartily agree with this. We're reading too many posts where people didn't get things in writing from ETI and are upset or disappointed. Send ETI an email. It's easy. And it's always best to not assume...

So are you saying that it is inappropriate to ask people who have recently received trailers whether the feature that has been described for months by ETI as standard is actually being delivered?

I have been in frequent contact with ETI and have been repeatedly been told that all new trailers have the new Lights/USB ports. For that reason, I did not order wall mount USB. My trailer is due to be built soon and if the USB port lights are hit and miss, I need to know that . Virtually all responses I have received from owners with recent deliveries have indicated no USB lights.

It appears that ETI folks who work on configuration are being told something that is not playing out in the real world.

I am not asking for advice on how to communicate with the builder, I was asking for feedback from recent owners.

If asking new owners for feedback to confirm components is a problem on this forum, then this forum is losing a large part of its potential value to new Escape purchasers, in my view.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:37 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
So are you saying that it is inappropriate to ask people who have recently received trailers whether the feature that has been described for months by ETI as standard is actually being delivered?

I have been in frequent contact with ETI and have been repeatedly been told that all new trailers have the new Lights/USB ports. For that reason, I did not order wall mount USB. My trailer is due to be built soon and if the USB port lights are hit and miss, I need to know that . Virtually all responses I have received from owners with recent deliveries have indicated no USB lights.

It appears that ETI folks who work on configuration are being told something that is not playing out in the real world.

I am not asking for advice on how to communicate with the builder, I was asking for feedback from recent owners.

If asking new owners for feedback to confirm components is a problem on this forum, then this forum is losing a large part of its potential value to new Escape purchasers, in my view.
If you look at the build sheet it doesn’t say anything about captains lights with USB charging.I asked Escape this same question on if this was a standard feature now and was told yes as long as the supply chain for this light didn’t fall apart, apparently it must have. Escape along with other manufacturers are having trouble with a multitude of components and I’m surprised they still are pumping out trailers. If you want a direct question post on Escape’s form so you can get an answer from the horses mouth.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:00 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

You are welcome to ask any question you wish of new owners or those that have owned their trailer for years.

BUT, we have no control over anything ETI does or changes on anyone's trailer and as we've found out, change can happen quickly. No one affiliated with ETI responds to this forum.

IMHO if it's important to you, it should be important enough to correspond directly with ETI. Don't want to see you disappointed because someone got something you didn't.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:50 PM   #15

Trailer: 2021 21NE
On the build sheet, top of page 3, is the following statement:
"From time to time, and as part of continuous product development, Escape Trailer Industries will update components when necessary. Whilst we will attempt to communicate
such changes, Escape Trailer Industries retains the right to update components without notifying the customer. "
ETI is relying on an ever fluctuating supply chain, as are other manufacturers. If I were you, I would add the USB to the build sheet, and ask to be notified when they are going to begin your build if they are still needed, or if the lights have them then ask that yours be removed from the build sheet.

Our trailer is being delivered next week. I will let you know what we receive.
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:45 PM   #16

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Do a quick online Google search for "12 volt 12V reading lamp light USB" and then click Images. You'll see literally dozens of "captain's lights." Most are in the $25-$35 range featuring USB, dimming, LED bulbs, night lights, and all sorts of features.

Note that most of these lights with USB ports don't go into much detail about the type of USB port or how much power the ports deliver. Most of them are simple low-power USB-A ports that will take several hours to charge your phone. Many reading light circuits aren't designed for the high power draw of the latest versions of USB ports.

If you're looking for something that will keep your phone charged overnight, these reading lights with USB are fine; otherwise look elsewhere. For comparison, it's not unusual for the latest USB-C chargers to draw 8-10 amps each. You probably wouldn't want to have one of those on an RV lighting circuit that is designed for a few reading lights rated at a couple of amps each.
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 05:09 AM   #17

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
FWIW.

A portable "brick style" cell phone charger is a cheap and easy setup to use for your phone. I have one that will charge my iPhone 8 from dead to full charge twice.

Plus, it will hold a charge sitting in a drawer for months.

Super Easy - Super Cheap - Works like a charm!
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 05:54 AM   #18

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I wonder if I could change out my old fixture to one that offers USB charging and maybe even a dimmer?

Does this require a thicker gauge wire to accommodate the additional electricity that will be called for?

I would like to consider this.

I agree on the charging blocks. We have three of them and a 500 wh battery. We use them all during extended no electricity trips.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 11:08 AM   #19

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
You may not know what you will receive

We have had three different doors show up on our trailers, all were fine. On our 5th wheel I found additions on the drain pipes of which I had previously done myself. I still find little changes I recognize and like. Someone is thinking about improvements.
AZjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 11:11 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
I wonder if I could change out my old fixture to one that offers USB charging and maybe even a dimmer?

Does this require a thicker gauge wire to accommodate the additional electricity that will be called for?

I would like to consider this.

I agree on the charging blocks. We have three of them and a 500 wh battery. We use them all during extended no electricity trips.
Sure. Here's one that is dimmable and has the USB port.

https://www.amazon.com/Glass-Shade-D.../dp/B07JNR5TPZ

It pulls about 3/4 amp when the light is on and charging so the existing wiring to the reading lights is fine.