Defensive driving with your Escape - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2021, 07:16 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearwater Chris View Post
In the U.S., big rig drivers are required by law to use 4-way flashers on freeways if travelling at 45 mph or less when other traffic is travelling at normal speeds, usually used due to mechanical or tire issue or when climbing or descending steep grades. They will also typically use them when slowing down due to traffic slow downs. These situations would all be appropriate for use when hauling a TT.
Exactly
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:32 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
We have DOT approved highly reflective red/white tape on the front and rear sides of the frame, and across the rear bumper. It really increases the visibility of the trailer after dark.

The "hockey puck" LED beacons are very effective and we have a set in each of our vehicles. Ours are the original mil-spec so require the CR123 batteries. I don't know what the newer versions use. The problem with these is they require batteries so be sure to check the batteries annually. We also carry a set of the reflective triangles which don't require batteries.

I follow the rule for big rigs (less than 45mph) and local customs (Mexico) for using the hazard flashers while moving. People understand what they are used to seeing but it can cause confusion to have the hazards on if they have to try to figure out what you are trying to tell them.

Safe travels,
Doug
Doug & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 11:20 PM   #23

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Please don't use your four-way flashers when you're not moving more slowly than other traffic. It just adds to the general level of distraction, with the crude combined signal and stop lamps of a trailer it obscures the stop (braking) indication, and on any vehicle it keeps the turning indication from working. When the traffic ahead of and behind you is moving at the same speed that you are, the extra flashing is pointless.

That's a good idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
Interestingly, this is kind of cultural, but I agree that since flashers are not normally used this way in North America, it can be ineffective here.

I recall travelling to South Korea in the late 1990's and noticing that it was very normal that all drivers on a highway would activate the hazards when running into a slowdown. A sea of blinking 4-way flashers was the common visual clue that a driver was approaching a slowdown. It worked just fine.

Here in the US, this isn't all that common, and a more normal sign of a slowdown here is a sea of brake lights being on. I'm not sure, visually, there is much difference as long as all drivers do the same thing.
It is a distraction, especially in the rain. Please don’t do do it. The newer trailer with LEDs makes it all the worse.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:17 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 ("Hotel California" -Aug 2017) Tow is 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
A secondary benefit of a Stowaway box or cargo carrier on the rear is some protection in the event of a rear end accident. In our case if the vehicle is tall they'll run into the box. If the vehicle is lower hopefully they run into the heavy duty riser in the receiver. It also has bright LED lights that supplement the trailer lights. The 21 I had modified for viator36's mini-split was rear ended in Georgia. The extended rear bumper and an empty, folded bike rack saved the trailer from any major damage. The mini-split condenser survived with only a small dent and a bent mounting foot. There most likely would have been damage to the trailer shell with just the standard bumper.

Something like this that goes into the receiver and extends rearward could also be used for some protection if one does not have a rear box/cargo carrier or bike rack:
https://www.amazon.com/Go-Rhino-360T...84440569&psc=1

I was almost in an accident yesterday on the highway when someone coming up in the left lane very fast took the middle lane as I was moving over from the right lane. Looking over my shoulder and a quick reaction saved me. Drive safe my friends.
I am interested in the Stowaway Box on our 21 ( our two new Lectric bikes take up so much room in our GMC Canyon and don’t allow us to take along a bunch of our other stuff) The fact that this box also somewhat protects against a rear end collision makes it a great selling point.
Is there something special that you you had to do to the set up in order to allow the Escape’s spare tire to fit behind the box? I imagine you got the set up with the fixed frame hitch Mount.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:13 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrgtic4 View Post
Is there something special that you you had to do to the set up in order to allow the Escape’s spare tire to fit behind the box?
There is an alternative. I made a similar custom box specifically for items that I wanted easy access to. But keeping the spare tire there and adding a box does carry a price tag. For us, a measurable extra cost for extra length on ferries and the ability to pull into a shopping mall parking lot and fit into two spaces without having to park across several parking spots which isn't always possible.

Like some others I moved my spare to the underside of the tongue. Out of the way, doesn't add unwanted extra length and helps balance out any extra weight put in the rear box.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 02:03 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Interestingly, this is kind of cultural, but I agree that since flashers are not normally used this way in North America, it can be ineffective here.

I recall travelling to South Korea in the late 1990's and noticing that it was very normal that all drivers on a highway would activate the hazards when running into a slowdown. A sea of blinking 4-way flashers was the common visual clue that a driver was approaching a slowdown. It worked just fine.
Except that turn signals then don't work. And there's no evidence that this works any better than just the last vehicle in each lane running the flashers. By this logic, entire cities should have every vehicle with four-way flashers on for the entire rush hour every day - because they're all slowed down - which is nonsensical.

How do you change lanes in this slowed-down traffic? I guess you just look for a gap and drive into it with no signal.

I'm not surprised that in one country everyone does the same thing (even when it makes no sense), and that in another country most people won't indicate that they are a slow-moving hazard, and that is probably a cultural difference.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 02:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearwater Chris View Post
In the U.S., big rig drivers are required by law to use 4-way flashers on freeways if travelling at 45 mph or less when other traffic is travelling at normal speeds, usually used due to mechanical or tire issue or when climbing or descending steep grades.
Yes, that's appropriate, because the truck is a hazard because it is moving slowly compared to other traffic, and the same logic applies to towing a trailer. If you're crawling up a grade in the slow lane while other traffic flows by at much higher speed, your flashers should be on. That's very different from just moving slowly with all the other traffic which is also moving slowly.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
I also put them on when approaching patrol cars on side of road with flashing lights.

I have had two separate wa state troopers give me a thumbs up as I passed by.
I'm sure that the troopers appreciated that you slowed down, not necessarily that your flashers were on.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:55 PM   #29

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrgtic4 View Post
I am interested in the Stowaway Box on our 21 ( our two new Lectric bikes take up so much room in our GMC Canyon and don’t allow us to take along a bunch of our other stuff) The fact that this box also somewhat protects against a rear end collision makes it a great selling point.
Is there something special that you you had to do to the set up in order to allow the Escape’s spare tire to fit behind the box? I imagine you got the set up with the fixed frame hitch Mount.
This post should help. We moved the tire over slightly towards the passengers side to a new bracket we had welded on. With the Blue Ox 10” rise and drilling the shaft on the Stowaway we were able to have the box as tight to the trailer as possible and open up over the tire.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post146378
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ox-BX881.../dp/B002UC8LGG
Old 11-25-2021, 09:09 PM   #30

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Except that turn signals then don't work. And there's no evidence that this works any better than just the last vehicle in each lane running the flashers. By this logic, entire cities should have every vehicle with four-way flashers on for the entire rush hour every day - because they're all slowed down - which is nonsensical.

How do you change lanes in this slowed-down traffic? I guess you just look for a gap and drive into it with no signal.

I'm not surprised that in one country everyone does the same thing (even when it makes no sense), and that in another country most people won't indicate that they are a slow-moving hazard, and that is probably a cultural difference.

I think your missing how they do it. First off, in normal heavy traffic they don't use their hazards. This isn't rush hour in Seoul normal.

Think out in the countryside, traffic is heavy but moving fast. Maybe there's a disabled vehicle on the shoulder or something.....the traffic bunches and slows. As the drivers come up on the slowdown they brake and they hit their hazards. Once they are fully in the slowdown and there are additional slow cars behind them, they turn the hazards off again. They only have them on for 10-20 seconds.

I'm not sure it's necessary.....in the US the appearance of a lot of brake lights in front of me serves the same warning. But it isn't "distracting" or causing any of these other problems people here are imagining.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:51 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
Quote:
I think your missing how they do it. First off, in normal heavy traffic they don't use their hazards. This isn't rush hour in Seoul normal.

Think out in the countryside, traffic is heavy but moving fast. Maybe there's a disabled vehicle on the shoulder or something.....the traffic bunches and slows. As the drivers come up on the slowdown they brake and they hit their hazards. Once they are fully in the slowdown and there are additional slow cars behind them, they turn the hazards off again. They only have them on for 10-20 seconds.

I'm not sure it's necessary.....in the US the appearance of a lot of brake lights in front of me serves the same warning. But it isn't "distracting" or causing any of these other problems people here are imagining.

Yes

On my section of I 5 which is about Bellingham to Marysville WA. Rear end collisions are about twice a week. There was a photo on here of a car folded in half by a semi. That took place on the Skagit River Bridge which is one of the most dangerous places on this stretch north bound. As you approach the bridge it is higher and you can’t see even half way across it. The traffic is going 60 mph there. They hit the top of the bridge and see nothing but break lights. Folks trying to exit on the other side at George Hooper. And than slammed on their breaks resulting in a wreck.

Turning on your flashers when you see that warns folks behind who may not be able to see around you. Once I get a car or two behind me slowed down I turn the flashers off.
I never change lanes with my flasher on.

I 5 is so bad through this stretch that I seldom drive it to work . I go straight through Mount Vernon and Burlington to my work 8 miles away at exit 232.

Exit 232 is so congested at peak times cars are lined up on the shoulder of the freeway trying to exit at Cook Road. Cook Road and Old 99 intersection where I work is the number one intersection in the whole area for rear end collisions according WDOT.

I think a lot of folks get hypnotized by all the tail lights and break lights and stop paying attention. Flashing your hazards I believe wakes a lot of folks up.
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 07:10 AM   #32

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Using your hazard lights while driving is illegal in several states, * Hazard lights can actually reduce visibility making other drivers think you are stopped or stalled. * They make it difficult to see if motorist ahead are tapping on the brakes.
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 11:34 PM   #33

Quote:
...As the drivers come up on the slowdown they brake and they hit their hazards. Once they are fully in the slowdown and there are additional slow cars behind them, they turn the hazards off again.
That makes sense; it's also not what was first described, with "a sea of blinking 4-way flashers".
Old 11-27-2021, 08:04 PM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I've heard drunk drivers will fixate on a blinking light and can drive right into it.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 08:14 PM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I've heard drunk drivers will fixate on a blinking light and can drive right into it.
Sorta. Drunk drivers will steer to wherever they're looking. A drunk's eyes are not steady and it's one of the reasons the vehicle weaves.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 10:18 PM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Probably also why there are multiple instances of a police cruisers, lights flashing and off the road have folks come crashing into them. Scary.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:56 PM   #37

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Some also use 4-way flashers while parked illegally, attracting attention, resulting in a ticket.
Old 11-28-2021, 11:10 AM   #38

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Some also use 4-way flashers while parked illegally, attracting attention, resulting in a ticket.
I've seen that righteous justice especially at airport pick-up queues
Old 11-29-2021, 08:36 AM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:

EXACTLY!!! The point is not to just have flashers on when all traffic is moving slowly but when there is a sudden slow down....I have often seen where people miss the brake lights but will see the flashers. And yes once the cars directly behind you see that there is a slow down shut em off.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 01:26 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape
Use of Emergency Flashers in rain storms is now legal in FL. Real handy as it rains so hard here "lights on" is sometimes not enough & flashers help.
Jack! is offline   Reply With Quote