Escape 19' vs 21' Decisions - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-21-2018, 05:13 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Tam2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Bend, Oregon
Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Having owned both models, each has its advantages. The 21 is more spacious and more storage as well as counter space. That said, it comes with a weight penalty over the 19, maybe 2-300 lbs. The batteries are outside on the 19, inside on the 21. Front dinette with opening windows on 2 sides on the 19, rear dinette with sides and rear opening windows if you get the frameless windows. Bigger refer and bath in 21, smaller bed. These are most of the differences.
Just a note on frig size - : we had our 2018 ESCAPE19 configured with the largest refrigerator. We didn't do the microwave -- really happy about this decision.
__________________

Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:44 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
I have spent many hours poring over the responses made in this thread and many other similar threads on this forum, have created a database of the responses, and cross-correlated the results between the various responders, and the following are my conclusions:

1) When giving purchasing advice for a new Escape trailer, a significant majority of Escape owners will recommend the model of Escape trailer that they own as being better than other models.
2) A vast majority of Escape owners will indicate that the options they chose for their own Escape are better than other options that may be available.

And there you have it! Depending on what answer you are looking for, you just have to ask the right person!
Not sure that's always the case. Brian B-P stated that the "why" is important. Also sometimes people make decisions and then they look back on those decisions and can assess more critically that in hindsight something wasn't the correct decision. Also as people gain in experience and they decide what is and isn't important in their camping style too they might change their views on decisions. All good stuff though, keeps the forum active and as someone recently suggested, even a rehash of old stuff (eg the 19 v 21 decision) might elicit something new.
__________________

Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:54 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
Tam2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Bend, Oregon
Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I've noticed that folks believe they purchased the best available when they did so, no matter the product. Human nature I guess.
I am not sure about people only recommending what they actually did. I have found the Escape members to be very logical about why they did what they did. For example: we might have considered an ESCAPE 21 - except for very personal reasons that won't apply to many.. We can store the Escape 19 by our garage while the Escape 21 wouldn't fit. Also, we can pull the 19 with our Toyota Highlander. I already know I prefer ovens over microwaves, but that is very personal. Also, I am willing to take a chance on the electric awning, but realize that maybe we'll regret that someday. Mostly there isn't a "best" but you can glean important thoughts prior to making a decision. And then apply to self. Also, everyone really can only talk about what they did and won't know about other's experiences.
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:02 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 343
I can't comment on the towing of a 19', but going from a 17' Casita to a 2018 21' Escape, I was amazed at how much better the 21' towed than the Casita!

I didn't expect that. The escape has much less bounce and is much more stable and "boring" ( quiet ) .



I guess much of the improvement is due to going from a single axle unit to a double axle. I actually feel much more comfortable letting my wife drive also, due to the stability and hopeful redundancy of the dual axle arrangement.
__________________
No good deed goes unpunished.
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:08 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Tam2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Bend, Oregon
Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
I can't comment on the towing of a 19', but going from a 17' Casita to a 2018 21' Escape, I was amazed at how much better the 21' towed than the Casita!

I didn't expect that. The escape has much less bounce and is much more stable and "boring" ( quiet ) .



I guess much of the improvement is due to going from a single axle unit to a double axle. I actually feel much more comfortable letting my wife drive also, due to the stability and hopeful redundancy of the dual axle arrangement.
We wondered if it was the dual axel that made our Escape19 tow so beautifully? We were also thinking it might be more than that - but we just don't know why it tows so great. Any other ideas?
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:24 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North of Danbury, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Posts: 3,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
I can't comment on the towing of a 19', but going from a 17' Casita to a 2018 21' Escape, I was amazed at how much better the 21' towed than the Casita!

I didn't expect that. The escape has much less bounce and is much more stable and "boring" ( quiet ) .



I guess much of the improvement is due to going from a single axle unit to a double axle. I actually feel much more comfortable letting my wife drive also, due to the stability and hopeful redundancy of the dual axle arrangement.
Our 17 ft Casita tows every bit as well as our 21
( Our Casita has the LHC shock absorber mod )
My wife refuses to drive while towing either trailer
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:57 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Victoria, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam2004 View Post
I am not sure about people only recommending what they actually did. I have found the Escape members to be very logical about why they did what they did. For example: we might have considered an ESCAPE 21 - except for very personal reasons that won't apply to many.. We can store the Escape 19 by our garage while the Escape 21 wouldn't fit. Also, we can pull the 19 with our Toyota Highlander. I already know I prefer ovens over microwaves, but that is very personal. Also, I am willing to take a chance on the electric awning, but realize that maybe we'll regret that someday. Mostly there isn't a "best" but you can glean important thoughts prior to making a decision. And then apply to self. Also, everyone really can only talk about what they did and won't know about other's experiences.
We have the same reasoning. If I butter up the sides, I can slide the 19 next to the house. With the 21, I couldn’t gain access to the trailer, with the 19, I can turn side on and get inside. I'm surprised at how little love the 19 is getting. Maybe i'm just paying more attention to the 19's but they do seem to sell a little quicker than the other models.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:00 PM   #48
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico
Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Posts: 78
I suspect both the immediately preceding posters are right--the dual axle helps with the Escape and the shock absorber kit improves how the Casita tows. Before I placed an order for an Escape, I spent a good bit of time researching the Casita and had about concluded that the aftermarket shock absorber kit was a real good idea.

And, when I decided on an Escape 19 instead, a brother-in-law who in a checkered career has, among other things, been an over the road truck driver, strongly endorsed the Escape for its double axle (calling his career 'checkered' is no knock on truck drivers, or him, it's just the guy has been everything from a church organist to a truck driver, and currently teaches at an online university--and that's fine with me).
Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:20 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: White Bird, Idaho
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes99 View Post
We have the same reasoning. If I butter up the sides, I can slide the 19 next to the house. With the 21, I couldn’t gain access to the trailer, with the 19, I can turn side on and get inside. I'm surprised at how little love the 19 is getting. Maybe i'm just paying more attention to the 19's but they do seem to sell a little quicker than the other models.
I'll give the 19 some love... and one thing I haven't seen mentioned as something to consider is the type of camping a person is planning to do. The places where we want to camp are generally off the beaten track, often down narrow dirt roads leading to small campgrounds or dispersed sites "not recommended for large RVs". The 19 has proven very easy to manuever into relatively small spaces. Granted, I've not tried to back a 21 into a tight space, but I'm pretty sure that extra 2 feet and extra width could make it more difficult. Also, our 19 is only slightly wider than our tow vehicle, so I'm confident taking it on any road wide enough for our truck. Bed issues aside, if a person is mostly planning to camp in RV parks and large campgrounds, the 21 is probably the right choice, as it is indeed more spacious and has more storage. If taking the trailer down narrow, dirt roads to small, primitive campgrounds or undeveloped sites with lots of trees is more your cup of tea, then the 19 would probably be better unless you're a master trailer backer and have a lot of patience. The only thing I'll add is we bought our 19 sight unseen and had never even seen an Escape when we signed our build sheet. Of course when we picked it up, we toured the showroom and looked at all the models. I will say unequivocally we did not have buyer's remorse; in other words, we didn't say to ourselves crap, should have gotten the 21 instead. We have totally loved our 19 from the first time we laid eyes on it, and that has never changed. It is truly our happy place and is perfect for how we use it. I do understand others have "traded up" from a 19 to a 21 and are glad they did... but as many say, each to his/her own!!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:15 AM   #50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Victoria, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
I'll give the 19 some love... and one thing I haven't seen mentioned as something to consider is the type of camping a person is planning to do. The places where we want to camp are generally off the beaten track, often down narrow dirt roads leading to small campgrounds or dispersed sites "not recommended for large RVs". The 19 has proven very easy to manuever into relatively small spaces. Granted, I've not tried to back a 21 into a tight space, but I'm pretty sure that extra 2 feet and extra width could make it more difficult. Also, our 19 is only slightly wider than our tow vehicle, so I'm confident taking it on any road wide enough for our truck. Bed issues aside, if a person is mostly planning to camp in RV parks and large campgrounds, the 21 is probably the right choice, as it is indeed more spacious and has more storage. If taking the trailer down narrow, dirt roads to small, primitive campgrounds or undeveloped sites with lots of trees is more your cup of tea, then the 19 would probably be better unless you're a master trailer backer and have a lot of patience. The only thing I'll add is we bought our 19 sight unseen and had never even seen an Escape when we signed our build sheet. Of course when we picked it up, we toured the showroom and looked at all the models. I will say unequivocally we did not have buyer's remorse; in other words, we didn't say to ourselves crap, should have gotten the 21 instead. We have totally loved our 19 from the first time we laid eyes on it, and that has never changed. It is truly our happy place and is perfect for how we use it. I do understand others have "traded up" from a 19 to a 21 and are glad they did... but as many say, each to his/her own!!
Nice. Love it and agree. We signed off on ours the same way and feel the same.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:14 AM   #51
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: alpharetta, Georgia
Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Posts: 416
Decisions, decisions, life is full of them so what I think you should do is list the pros and cons as you SEE them. I say this because I don't believe in perfection, we would have to agree on what we see as perfect for whatever it is we are talking about. That being said I would agree with what was said earlier, of the two sizes what is best for you with the kind of camping you plan and want to do? When you look at the differences of the two campers other then the size do you like the features in one over the other? I would also agree what you plan to tow it with should be a big thought in the process especially if your leaning more toward the 21' can you tow it with what you own now?
I personally think you would be happy with any Escape trailer, we were very happy with out 17' Casita but we just wanted something bigger and so far very happy with our Grover.
Look at eat like eggs, how do you want yours?

Safe and fun travels to all. Happy Thanksgiving.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:53 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
kstock11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Asheville, North Carolina
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Posts: 845
It’s fun to read all the “why this instead of that” comments. Kind of reminds me of car dealers that offer a 3 or 5 day return option when you purchase a car. I couldn’t imagine making that big a purchase without being sure of my decision. Fun also watching some on the forum who start with one and then move to another (and some back again!) For me, I camped in tents for 50 years. If a tent became worn out or conditions changed I would replace it. I’m very happy with my choice, but if mine wore out or conditions were to change, then who knows? My advice, do your homework, and make the best decision for yourself. If you make a mistake, remember it’s only money!
__________________
Kevin
Thanks to the interstate highway system, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything - Charles Kuralt
kstock11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 07:19 AM   #53
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Knox, Maine
Trailer: 2017 19'
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
I'll give the 19 some love... and one thing I haven't seen mentioned as something to consider is the type of camping a person is planning to do. The places where we want to camp are generally off the beaten track, often down narrow dirt roads leading to small campgrounds or dispersed sites "not recommended for large RVs". The 19 has proven very easy to manuever into relatively small spaces.

Very much agree with the above. Another plus to the 19 is the 3 large windows on both ends, sitting in either the dinette or on the bed you can see in all 4 directions. Seems much brighter and part of the outdoors to me when you are stuck inside in inclement weather.
TallyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:54 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Miami, Florida
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Posts: 129
This. I love the windows around the bed on the 19 and the bed being in the rear. I considered the 21 but just couldn't get past the bed being right by the door. As others have mentioned, if Escape put the 19 floor plan in a 21 I would be all over it.
maiki724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:06 AM   #55
Senior Member
 
sjnuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallyHo View Post
Another plus to the 19 is the 3 large windows on both ends, sitting in either the dinette or on the bed you can see in all 4 directions. Seems much brighter and part of the outdoors to me when you are stuck inside in inclement weather.
This and the larger bed are the two main reasons we went back to the 19. It is really nice to easily be able to see out the front and back of the trailer.

Steve
__________________
Steve and Cynthia
San Antonio, TX
Escape 19 "Why So Serious?"
2019 Chevy Silverado RST 1500, 5.3L
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:29 AM   #56
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: White Bird, Idaho
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiki724 View Post
This. I love the windows around the bed on the 19 and the bed being in the rear. I considered the 21 but just couldn't get past the bed being right by the door. As others have mentioned, if Escape put the 19 floor plan in a 21 I would be all over it.
Absolutely! One thing I find interesting is many folks count the location of the bathroom in the 21 as a plus. I am unable to wrap my head around that. Do I want the bathroom and toilet literally inches from my head when I'm in bed trying to sleep?? Ummmm, no. One of the reasons we went with the 19, there is good separation there

But again, each to his or her own!!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:30 AM   #57
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 3,494
Smaller is better is our approach and why we came back from the dark side to molded fiberglass. We needed to find the balance between going on the road in a 13’ and too large triggering more maintenance and campground size restrictions. 19 Escape fit us perfectly with the layout we’ve always liked, Queen size bed, nice bath and shower, and a separate permanent lounge and table area. It gives us all of that in a small footprint which was very important to us.
Everyone needs to match what their needs are to the trailer and all good.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:13 AM   #58
Senior Member
 
Eggscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Posts: 2,197
I will start with a small unmentioned point. When someone is preparing a meal in the kitchen of a 19, people can come and go to the seating area without have to walk buy them.

We wanted the big bed and the seating at the front because most of the camp sites we use are just solid trees behind us with nothing to see. Love the width of the 19 for towing in big cities and no way my wife was having people walk into a 21 looking at the bedroom.
__________________
So many modifications...so little time.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:32 AM   #59
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I will start with a small unmentioned point. When someone is preparing a meal in the kitchen of a 19, people can come and go to the seating area without have to walk buy them.

We wanted the big bed and the seating at the front because most of the camp sites we use are just solid trees behind us with nothing to see. Love the width of the 19 for towing in big cities and no way my wife was having people walk into a 21 looking at the bedroom.
There are valid arguments on both sides of this one. In the 21, the aisle is wide enough for two people to easily pass each other. And my wife points out that she would prefer not to cook right next to the bed as she would in the 19, but in the 21 the table is right up close to the stove.

Agreed the bed is right by the door, but we like the bigger and wider layout of the 21 with the extra living and storage space. Yes it is a bigger and wider trailer, but when I look at the number of semi-trailers that drive down many city streets, I can easily tow the 21 anywhere a semi-trailer can go.

It’s not a battle, (19 v 21) but making sure that when people come to decide what would work for them, they can make an informed decision based on lots of information.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:00 PM   #60
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#5 E19, ECD 5/22.
Posts: 24,067
and then you have those who can not make up their mind, 2012 E19, 2014 E21, 2016 E19,
2019 E21
__________________

__________________
Jim
Sometime life gets in the way of living.......
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×